Just another bust ?

Hawknight

Reaction score
For us, Rick Mirer was by far the biggest. Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer get honorable mentions, Clipboard Jesus for our biggest 21st century bust.

Other notable busts include Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Akili Smith, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young are some of the more recent. But you can go all the way back to Terry Baker, Gary Beban, Art Schliester, and Jeff George, blasts from the past.

The list is endless.
I looked up Ryan Leaf, came across this and found funny:

1998 Season: Leaf chosen by the Chargers,[20] who signed him to a four-year contract worth $31.25 million, including a guaranteed $11.25 million signing bonus, the largest ever paid to a rookie at the time.[22] Leaf said, "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl, and a parade through downtown San Diego."[18] The night after the draft, Leaf flew to Las Vegas, Nevada on the jet of Chargers owner Alex Spanos and partied all night; the following day Leaf yawned during his first news conference.

2001 Season: After finishing the season with a disastrous 1–15 record, the Chargers released Leaf on February 28, 2001.[55] In three seasons with the Chargers, he won only four of 18 games as a starter, and threw a total of 13 touchdowns and 33 interceptions.

On March 2, 2001, the Chargers released him,

So much for the 15 year career and trips to the Super Bowl

Rat

Reaction score
All great examples, but I’d argue Whitehurst doesn’t deserve a big-time bust label. He was a third round pick by SD and we gave up a 3rd to acquire him, hoping he’d show more upside but not counting on him to be our QBOTF.
We traded WAY down in the second round as part of that too.

I very much supported the trade at the time and absolutely loved me some CBJ, but there's no way around it not being a bust.

Rat

Reaction score
As many QB busts as there have been in the first round, the odds get precipitously worse if you're looking for a franchise QB outside the first round. It's basicaly to the point that there's at least a 90% chance you're looking for another QB within the next 2-3 years if you go that route. We saw it again this past season with Desmond Ridder and Sam Howell being named starters.

Kyler has been fine anyway. Completes 2/3rd of his passes with a career QB rating of 92.2, was OROY, and has two Pro Bowls. I'd take him over any QB in the division aside from Purdy.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kyler is just a miniature version of Russ with a weaker arm.
I laugh at the Cards wasting their time with him.
The Bears.. What about Fields? I think he choked big time in
that last game against GB and he chokes quite a bit between having
a flash game here and there .. I think he's a bust period.
His record speaks for itself.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I looked up Ryan Leaf, came across this and found funny:

1998 Season: Leaf chosen by the Chargers,[20] who signed him to a four-year contract worth $31.25 million, including a guaranteed $11.25 million signing bonus, the largest ever paid to a rookie at the time.[22] Leaf said, "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl, and a parade through downtown San Diego."[18] The night after the draft, Leaf flew to Las Vegas, Nevada on the jet of Chargers owner Alex Spanos and partied all night; the following day Leaf yawned during his first news conference.

2001 Season: After finishing the season with a disastrous 1–15 record, the Chargers released Leaf on February 28, 2001.[55] In three seasons with the Chargers, he won only four of 18 games as a starter, and threw a total of 13 touchdowns and 33 interceptions.

On March 2, 2001, the Chargers released him,

So much for the 15 year career and trips to the Super Bowl
On the other side of the coin, the Chargers allowed Drew Brees to leave and he went on to win a Superbowl with the Saints.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As many QB busts as there have been in the first round, the odds get precipitously worse if you're looking for a franchise QB outside the first round. It's basicaly to the point that there's at least a 90% chance you're looking for another QB within the next 2-3 years if you go that route. We saw it again this past season with Desmond Ridder and Sam Howell being named starters.

Kyler has been fine anyway. Completes 2/3rd of his passes with a career QB rating of 92.2, was OROY, and has two Pro Bowls. I'd take him over any QB in the division aside from Purdy.
So you'd take Murray over a healthy Matt Stafford? Not me.

How many playoff games has Kyler Murray won? Asking for a friend.

Rat

Reaction score
So you'd take Murray over a healthy Matt Stafford? Not me.

How many playoff games has Kyler Murray won? Asking for a friend.
How long did it take Stafford to win one? There's a progression with these QBs, and I havn't seen Murray holding that team back at all. I think he has looked promising more often than not.

RiverDog

Reaction score
How long did it take Stafford to win one? There's a progression with these QBs, and I havn't seen Murray holding that team back at all. I think he has looked promising more often than not.
I'd take Stafford over Murray any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Just a quick glance at PFF's player grades for quarterback from last season finds Stafford ranked #5, Murray #24 out of 38 ranked players. And the only reason he's ranked that high is due to his running, which like Russell Wilson, isn't going to get any better.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd take Stafford over Murray any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Just a quick glance at PFF's player grades for quarterback from last season finds Stafford ranked #5, Murray #24 out of 38 ranked players. And the only reason he's ranked that high is due to his running, which like Russell Wilson, isn't going to get any better.
He was coming off a serious injury and I thought he played respectably given that the 2023 Cardinals had maybe the NFL's most anonymous roster in recent memory. I was probably in grade school in the early 90s the last time there was a team where so many of the players had me going "who the hell is that?".

I think he's shockingly efficient for how athletic he is, he's strong, he can hurt you in multiple ways, he has played well in the clutch, his sacks have absolutely plummeted since his rookie season... we'll have to see how he does in year 2 under Gannon, but it looks to me like he has been progressing well. What should also help is the likelihood that his arsenal will see the addition of Marvin Harrison Jr.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see Murray after they draft Harrison.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Why go as far back in history as Trubisky?

How 'bout Fields?

OK, after saying that, I want you to know I'm not a Bears hater.

I really enjoyed watching the '85 Bears team and the utter thrashing it gave the Patriots in the Super Bowl following that season. I also saw a lot of Bears games on TV when I went to Chicago for college. My mom was an NFL fan since long before I was even conceived, and at some point about a decade ago when she wanted a "bucket hat" for when she was outside gardening, and I asked which NFL team's logo she would want on it, she told me her "sentimental favorite" was the Bears. And as a college student in Chicago in early '91, I greatly enjoyed the "Bill Swerski Superfans" sketches on Saturday Night Live, in which there were frequent mentions of a certain team from a certain midwestern city...

In the 1960s, some time before I was conceived, my not-yet parents disagreed about something that happened in a game they saw on TV. My mom wrote to George Halas to ask him about it. Halas wrote back, and my mom's interpretation had been right. She left the letter from Halas where she knew my dad would see it, but she didn't say anything about it. My dad didn't say anything about it either, but the next day he had bought a frame, framed the letter, and left it where he knew my mom would find it.
So what was the argument about?

Rat

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see Murray after they draft Harrison.
Yeah, my Buckeyes have been a WR factory but it's sad to me that the best of our best is probably going to either end up with a team I've hated for over 20 years (Patriots) or a team my favorite team faces twice a year (Cardinals). Even worse, if the Cards pass for God knows what reason, he could end up with Harbaugh in LA.

I'd much prefer the Commanders address QB somewhere else and pair MHJ with Scary Terry. If the Bears decided to hold onto Fields and draft Harrison, which seems very unlikely, I'd adopt them as my second team. They're already the closest NFL team to where I live and I have a sister who lives there. Would be cool to check them out.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, my Buckeyes have been a WR factory but it's sad to me that the best of our best is probably going to either end up with a team I've hated for over 20 years (Patriots) or a team my favorite team faces twice a year (Cardinals). Even worse, if the Cards pass for God knows what reason, he could end up with Harbaugh in LA.

I'd much prefer the Commanders address QB somewhere else and pair MHJ with Scary Terry. If the Bears decided to hold onto Fields and draft Harrison, which seems very unlikely, I'd adopt them as my second team. They're already the closest NFL team to where I live and I have a sister who lives there. Would be cool to check them out.
I want Poles to draft Harrison, but it’s not happening.

• Sad
Reactions: Rat

Lagartixa

Reaction score
So what was the argument about?

I'm really embarrassed to say I don't remember the details. When my mom was nearing the end of her life and asked if there was anything from her stuff I wanted, I asked for the framed letter, so it's mine now, but it's in Maine and I'm in Brazil.

I just found a text-message exchange with my mom from 2017. There she said her letter to Halas was about quarterbacks who didn't stay in the pocket. She said then that it might have been because of Fran Tarkenton in a Bears-Vikings game.

The next time I'm in Maine, I'll read the letter my mom got back from Halas and let you know the details.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He was coming off a serious injury and I thought he played respectably given that the 2023 Cardinals had maybe the NFL's most anonymous roster in recent memory. I was probably in grade school in the early 90s the last time there was a team where so many of the players had me going "who the hell is that?".

I think he's shockingly efficient for how athletic he is, he's strong, he can hurt you in multiple ways, he has played well in the clutch, his sacks have absolutely plummeted since his rookie season... we'll have to see how he does in year 2 under Gannon, but it looks to me like he has been progressing well. What should also help is the likelihood that his arsenal will see the addition of Marvin Harrison Jr.
Murray's played well in the clutch? Did you happen to watch the only playoff game he's ever appeared in? I sure as hell did. Murray was 19-34 for a measly 137 yards two interceptions including one of the worst pick 6's I've ever seen:

Your argument is all pure speculation, and you can make that argument about a lot of quarterbacks. The point is that as it stands now, Stafford is heads and shoulders above Murray.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kyler's not a bust, he's just not great. 2:1 TD:INT, 66% career CMP%... can throw for about 3800 yards with another 500 on the ground.
Stats don't equal wins. He sucks when the game is on the line. He clearly has talent, but he just isn't clutch, at all.
His decision making is BRUTAL, imo.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Once again...Murray was a Heisman Trophy winner and overall number 1 draft pick in 2019 . This thread is about high draft pick QB busts . Murray is officially a bust until he isn't . imo