KEN NORTON MUST GO !

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
I would rather us play press man and let our defense just give up the big play and let them score 80 yard bombs, at least our offense will see the ball more and pick-up rhythm. Their offense driving down the field on 10-minute drives for guaranteed TD's just seals the deal.

TraderGary

Reaction score
balakoth":3pibc0fq said:
I can handle those screens

I cannot handle the 8 yard hooks with our Corners 8 yards out... etc... 10 yd drops with deep slants.

IF they do not trust our defense secondary.. why are we not trying something different.

Infuriating
:ditto:

hawkfannj

Reaction score
It’s pretty clear we need new blood . This defense is a borderline dumpster fire right now

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm no Hawk insider, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't Norton that decided to go all in on Jamal Adams.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Truth be told! Pete and Norton run a new scheme. It's the adult film star defense. Minimal to no coverage!

Tokadub

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":325hb531 said:
I would rather us play press man and let our defense just give up the big play and let them score 80 yard bombs, at least our offense will see the ball more and pick-up rhythm. Their offense driving down the field on 10-minute drives for guaranteed TD's just seals the deal.

I agree, we should be borderline pass interfering every play compared to this soft trash we are seeing.

Make it a story, Seahawks have 25 pass interference calls in 1 game. That'd be more interesting than this where we just let them waltz down the field with no resistance whatsoever.

stack55

Reaction score
This defense being soft is what I said last week after that loss

I didn’t call for KNJ head, but I agree that this defense is stagnant.

It’s hard to get turnovers when you play that soft also. We can’t win
With our offense sitting on the sideline.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He shouldn't have been hired in the first place. He should have been gone after last year and now I am the point that I believe its time for Pete to go and KNJ obviously. This team lacks direction. We are desperately flailing about throwing away draft picks for an over paid strong safety.
Spending massive money on middle line backer and strong safety is a terrible strategy. Even more so when both players are not great players. We need to move on from Pete. I say this as someone who has backed him at all times till last years disastrous defense. He lacks direction and is killing this team by throwing away the assets it needs to improve.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
TraderGary":3dzrjyev said:
Reaneypark":3dzrjyev said:
Seems like we’re stick with him, as long as we have Pete.

And therein lies the problem..... "as long as we have Pete". Firing KNJ may have some effect, but make no mistake about it, this is Pete's defense. He beats into their heads to keep everything in front of them and make them march down the field with short and intermediate completions. Death by 1000 paper cuts. We've seen this style defense since he's been here.

Firing Ken may change up a few things like the obvious blitz packages that I can read from my couch. But until Pete is gone, we're always going to see this ultra soft zone coverage which doesn't stop anyone. It's so easy to exploit, my dead grandmother could complete passes against this defense.

Pete must go, but I doubt he will until he chooses to, and that may very well be years down the road. He has no one to answer to. Jody is either oblivious, or just doesn't care as long as the checks continue to come in.

Pete's not going anywhere soon, and after a 12 win season, I'm not sold that he ought to.

It's ultimately on him though. I'm usually on board in terms of firing the HC, not just a coordinator, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt for now. If they're 6-11 or something, I'll join you

Threedee

Reaction score
Well, it took four years to get rid of Bevell after his infamous act of negligence, so, I guess we can expect the company of Norton for at least a little while longer.

kf3339

Reaction score
The game has changed since PC was a DC in the NFL. He was fortunate to have the LOB to bail him out the first few years in Seattle, but he has been exposed the last several years. That is the problem.

And, no with all due respect this isn't so much about Norton as it is PC. This is "his defense". These are "his schemes". Don't kid yourself about that fact. Norton is just a caretaker for what PC orders for the defense. Nothing more, or less.

Norton only goes when PC goes.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":3bmpk78g said:

I agree Pete's so worried about the Officials he's coaching scared petrified of the PI . You can't coach that way it's to late now though the refs aren't use to us running press if we start doing that now we probably will get alot of PI's even so it's really Pete's only play this zone is getting dissected it has to evolve. They have to be willing to run man with tight zone mixed in. QB's are to good in todays NFL to play Pete's style of zone defense it will not work .

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it is just creeping senility.

Pete can no longer coach the defense like he could and Ken cannot handle the load himself. (Never could)

All of our players suddenly got terrible at the same time. That does not happen. That shows you that the problem is the system and not the players.

And we keep running base defense because our DC cannot determine when it is a pass or run.

Norton put some of his DL in coverage on the GL today. There are only 2 circumstances you do that inside the 5 and we were not in either of those. He is in over his head and Pete can no longer help him.

Pete always had pluses and minuses. But as he ages, his pluses are getting less viable and his minuses are getting more magnified.

Jase

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":p0j30syr said:
I think it is just creeping senility.

Pete can no longer coach the defense like he could and Ken cannot handle the load himself. (Never could)

All of our players suddenly got terrible at the same time. That does not happen. That shows you that the problem is the system and not the players.

And we keep running base defense because our DC cannot determine when it is a pass or run.

Norton put some of his DL in coverage on the GL today. There are only 2 circumstances you do that inside the 5 and we were not in either of those. He is in over his head and Pete can no longer help him.

Pete always had pluses and minuses. But as he ages, his pluses are getting less viable and his minuses are getting more magnified.

Creeping senility?

Ageism. Nice.

I expect reactionary stuff here after a loss like this but c'mon.

Ok, call 'em how you see em but, this doesnt' seem to be really rational to me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is completely rational.

Look up neuroplasticity. Your ability of your brain to form new connections is impacted.

A symptom is the ability to change.

As you age you lose the ability to change, the ability to adapt - aren't these some of the biggest complaints with Pete?

'The Game Has Passed Him By" ?

He is over 70. He cannot process as fast and he certainly has shown an inability to change, or even adjust.

It isn't ageism if it is true.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":1zvbx9kx said:
I think almost every fan of every team with a bad defense would prefer that, me included. Unfortunately I don't think there are many coaches willing to do it.

The way the league has structured rules favoring offense and passing more specifically, you just can't play good defense anymore. Outside of the odd particular matchup or facing a really inept offense, defenses just don't keep scoring down in the NFL with any level of consistency. In my opinion, the best way to go about it is high risk - high reward. Get ultra aggressive and try to turn your defense into a unit that either gives up a touchdown or gets a turnover. Hopefully you win more possessions than you lose. just going press man with no pressure is just about gonna guarantee you lose a lot more possessions than you win with the secondary we have. In my opinion of course.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, Norton is horrible. But.........Pete has lost control of this team, it's clear as day. Norton, Pete and the coaching staff have allowed this team to not only be undisciplined, they REFUSE to adjust in game. He has been outcoached so many times the last few years, enough already. If it wasn't for Russ saving Pete's a** in the 4th quarter SEVERAL TIMES, he would look like an average coach. How many damn times do we have to see a guy WIDE OPEN over the middle, or pretty much anywhere on the field???? They made Kirk frickin Cousins look like Joe Montana. Is that good enough for anyone? It shouldn't be.

xray

Reaction score
Don't put this all on Norton's D . The ( Wilson - Waldron offense ) is anything but impressive .

RiverDog

Reaction score
xray":2hw17hc0 said:
Don't put this all on Norton's D . The ( Wilson - Waldron offense ) is anything but impressive .

Agreed. Although the bulk of our problems are on the defensive side of the ball, our offense in general and Russell specifically haven't helped matters any.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Would a change in coordinators have any real impact? How has that gone in the recent past with the OC position?

It could be argued that the only significant variable during the PC era has been player talent, imo. I just haven't seen a change in coaching make much difference.