KJ Thanksgiving podcast is grim

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Think it's more than just a bruise. It's a strain. They showed shots of him lying on the table, being worked on. They don't do that if it's just a bruise.
Fine, and I agree. He did seem off especially on all that deep crap. That actually made him play worse because he still has his other issues right now as well. Kudos to him for wanting to step up and help injured, BUT, players are people and we people often tend to make bad decisions regarding ourselves well being or health in these matters. This is where the coaches need to do 1 of 2 things:

Readjust the game plan to compensate. (ie. a lot more quicker short throws, more running, less long balls) or
Step up as coaches and make the hard decision to over ride Geno and get him the hell out of there. I am not saying Lock would have been any better but do it anyway.

keasley45

Reaction score
Ultimately this falls on Pete though. He didn't hire the correct "field generals" They should have rolled out the Brinks truck for Quinn before he was scooped up by Dallas.

And the Waldron hire, I can see why Pete went in this direction, a lot of plays designs are different than they've been, despite what some people are trying to say... But a rookie OC who's never called plays before? Waldron is nothing more than a passing game coordinator. Hurtt is nothing more than a D line coach, and Norton is nothing more than a LB coach.
i agree 100%. if theres a choice to be made between starting over and cutting away pieces of our roster and coordinators en mass at the risk of again not bringing in the right guys, and handing this roster to someone else to carry forward - shades of Dungy / Gruden...

if the team finishes 2023 on the same path its on now and there's as much listlessness (particularly on offense) as there is currently... i dont know. I've always defended Pete and i believe his method is a good one. But if you cant bring in the right mix of guys to lead with it completely... you have to do somethig different.

keasley45

Reaction score
Just think, we could have both those coordinators if Pete really wanted them. Instead we have Hurtt and Waldo 🤮
This is the biggest issue. I believe the problems on offense lie mostly with Shane. But overall, the team plays way too up and down and still makes stupid mistakes. The coordnators need to be smart AND hard nosed enough to demand consistency and high levels of execution.

But Pete rode with them. Shane, i can give him a slight pass on because he was brought in to appease Russ. But enough is enough.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This has zero to do with meddling in offense, or not updating a defense... being past his time or out of touch. It has to do with a failure to assemble the right men who will coalesce around an otherwise solid vision and balance positivity with intelligence and accountability.

Your asking for a freaking miracle here. You speak of Bradley, Quinn, Bevell, and Cable, but they had all-star teams to depend on and work with. Players that almost always won in their assignments. This and past teams arent that. So to make up for the talent deficiency, your only way to win is to out smart and adapt a strategy that allows you a fair chance of success. Your asking for a Winston Churchill type strategist but the general is Pete Carroll who keeps hiring snake oil salesmen. The general is the problem.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Slow developing plays in a fast developing game.

That was the problem.. gotta have an escape plan.
And with Stone Forsythe going against Nick Bosa. Waldron probably thinks he playing Madden or something.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Tldr
- Geno wasnt at 100% health - why is he playing
- Baiscfootball, every time the same 2 TE's blabla
- Way to much focus on DK
- JSN needs way more targets
- we didnt play well since week 1 every win was a little bit of a mess
We sucked in week one. We played well in week two and then withered slowly until the bengals pulled down our offenses pants

keasley45

Reaction score
Your asking for a freaking miracle here. You speak of Bradley, Quinn, Bevell, and Cable, but they had all-star teams to depend on and work with. Players that almost always won in their assignments. This and past teams arent that. So to make up for the talent deficiency, your only way to win is to out smart and adapt a strategy that allows you a fair chance of success. Your asking for a Winston Churchill type strategist but the general is Pete Carroll who keeps hiring snake oil salesmen. The general is the problem.
I think you are misreading my post. I'm not asking for anything. I was framing the challenge. And I don't buy the 'all star talent' argument. The difference was just better football top to bottom but especially with the coaches. Add to that a group of players who were fighting for respect at all costs and to be recognized for their collective greatness, and you had the perfect recipe for success.

If Pete were honest enough to hire the right guys to execute the plan and balance what he brings as a leader, we'd be ok. I don't know that he is or that there's a ton of time to reconfigure his 'cabinet' to make it so.

We will see what the rest of this season brings.

knownone

Reaction score
Considering the circumstances—a short week, losing Walker, Geno's injury, etc.—it feels like people are overreacting to a tough loss. This is still a pretty good team. Unfortunately, we have such a rough schedule that it's hard to imagine the Hawks proving those doubters wrong. But I haven't lost any faith in this team.

The only significant concern for me is offensive playcalling. We have a terrible offensive line and one of the worst time-to-pressures in the league, yet Waldron seems content to run these long-developing passes or overly cute runs like that draw on fourth down. That's not the recipe for success, and he needs to get his stuff together, or he'll be out of a job.

Overall, a team cannot start much worse than the Hawks did against the Niners. The offense and defense were in the hole much of the first half, and honestly, the final score didn't reflect the gap between these teams.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think you are misreading my post. I'm not asking for anything. I was framing the challenge. And I don't buy the 'all star talent' argument. The difference was just better football top to bottom but especially with the coaches. Add to that a group of players who were fighting for respect at all costs and to be recognized for their collective greatness, and you had the perfect recipe for success.

If Pete were honest enough to hire the right guys to execute the plan and balance what he brings as a leader, we'd be ok. I don't know that he is or that there's a ton of time to reconfigure his 'cabinet' to make it so.

We will see what the rest of this season brings.

Well then we are worlds apart in our assessments. I think it was better football because those players were just better athletes.

Hire the right guys? I don't think those guys exist. Again, this isn't the 2013 talent level team, but not many teams were.

I see two to three more wins the rest of the season. I don't think it's feasible to expect anymore than that. This team is not good. Period.

keasley45

Reaction score
Well then we are worlds apart in our assessments. I think it was better football because those players were just better athletes.

Hire the right guys? I don't think those guys exist. Again, this isn't the 2013 talent level team, but not many teams were.

I see two to three more wins the rest of the season. I don't think it's feasible to expect anymore than that. This team is not good. Period.
the coordinators in dallas would have us leaps and bounds better than we are now. No doubt.

Xxx

Reaction score

I could see 0 wins

Xxx

Reaction score

I’d prefer 0 wins