Lions submit “Josh Johnson rule”

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Not that this wouldve Helped Shan who f around and found out by not even having this option on the practice squad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I’d like to see the nfl make dressing a third qb mandatory for all playoff games. My understanding is that The league pays the salaries For players at that point already. Plus eliminated teams’ practice squad players are immediately eligible. If Mahomes did end up with An acl, ucl Etc and Chad had a concussion that’s probably half a billion dollars in sb ads that people aren’t watching because they turned to the puppy bowl.

sutz

Reaction score
Didn't that used to be the rule? You get to designate a 3d QB who doesn't count against the 45 man game day active list?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Part of the problem is the archaic rule of only being able to have 48 of 53 players active. Pete Carroll has pushed for many years for the ability to have all 53 men on the roster available on game days. That would go a long way towards teams being comfortable having another spot for a QB... Not to mention, it would allow coaches to rotate guys more, giving them less reps and potentially keeping more guys healthier.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Didn't that used to be the rule? You get to designate a 3d QB who doesn't count against the 45 man game day active list?
Yes, I forgot about that but here's a blurb about it I found online:
from 1991 to 2011, the NFL had a rule that allowed “emergency” QBs. At the time, the math was 53 players – 8 inactive (if one was an emergency QB who could only play if the other 2 QBs were injured) = 45 active. In 2011, they simply expanded the active game day roster to 46 players and got rid of the emergency QB rule.
https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/6/20/21296520/why-does-the-nfl-have-inactive-players-on-game-day

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

The46th dressed player used to have to be the third qb. Then the nfl said that 46th man could play any position.

nwHawk

Reaction score
It’s to help balance the halves and less talented teams. NFL is about parity in a big way.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to something that happened once. If they do make dressing a 3 rd QB a thing why stop at QB. I could see expanding the rosters due to the increased schedule maybe to 60, 65 or 70 players

Boohman14

Reaction score
If the NFL really gave a damn about player safety they would expand the rosters and do away with the game day limit. Everyone on the team suits up and can play.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Part of the problem is the archaic rule of only being able to have 48 of 53 players active. Pete Carroll has pushed for many years for the ability to have all 53 men on the roster available on game days. That would go a long way towards teams being comfortable having another spot for a QB... Not to mention, it would allow coaches to rotate guys more, giving them less reps and potentially keeping more guys healthier.
YES. It would give more players paid and a chance to succeed. Of course it helps
The flexibility of the team.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm in the tiny? minority on this but I like the smaller rosters and limits. Teams can already keep 53 QBs on their roster if they want, they just have to trade off risks and benefits and use strategy when it comes to roster construction.

There's a good balance between versatility and specialization right now, and if you expand roster limits then you just go further towards specialization. I think it's great that our special teams captain also has to practice a bit at spots like fullback and linebacker simply to provide depth to the team. Or that a team could get an actual advantage if they made their center practice long snapping, or found a kicker who could punt as well.

Whether you should keep a third QB on the roster or not is an interesting strategical decision to me as it is.

Latest posts