Losing Jamal Adams was a killer

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes, the defense played poorly again yesterday however, the loss of Jamal Adams cannot be understated. He’s the leader, he’s a tackling machine, an enforcer, he sets the tone, and the D feeds off of his intensity. I know all teams in the NFL experience injury however, losing Adams was by far the worst person to lose on the defense. Losing him probably cost us a couple games already this year. Is what it is and that’s my two cents on the subject.

getnasty

Reaction score
Agree! People have been down on Jamal and rightfully so but he plays with heart and is the best player on this defense.

Tough to replace especially since i feel like the scheme of the defense revolved around him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think you guys are hyping Jamal Adams up too much. Adams has been streaky here in Seattle. He has games where he completely takes over, but I'd say most of his games here he's looked pretty average. Our defense was on pace to be one of the worst all time in terms of yardage given up in 2021 with Adams healthy. Neal came in when he was injured and did a decent job filling in for him.

Adams likely wouldn't really fix our issues. The D-Line and linebacker play are the big elephants in the room. Maybe he could help reinforce the LB unit but that is probably it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with the OP. I actually feel like the defense plays better with Ryan Neal over Adams.

However, Adams would do better than Cody Barton if they were to play him at linebacker

irfuben32

Reaction score
it seems
I respectfully disagree with the OP. I actually feel like the defense plays better with Ryan Neal over Adams.

However, Adams would do better than Cody Barton if they were to play him at linebacker

I agree. Neal makes plays that I just don't see Adams making.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
It really hurt. They were going to run a lot 3 safety sets with Adams basically being a hybrid LB.

keasley45

Reaction score

The summary -

Adams is far better in coverage than he's given credit for, due in part to a rating system that is subjective and doesn't take into consideration the nuance of a defense.

He is intended to fill the role of what is described as the Alvin Kamara or CMC are, but for our defense.

Neal is a good player but isn't remotely the physical or instinctive talent that Jamal is.

Well worth the watch, especially for those who think he's a overrated.

The reality is that the dude was just last year becoming a key feature that a significant portion of the defense was being built around. Perception has been steered negatively with Jamal because of the very few occassions where his man skills were shown to be at times lacking and teammates that were often blowing assignments that he was being blamed for.

Jamal would have been a KEY cog in shoring up some of the deficiencies we have, in those 'grey' areas where good qb's are able to get us out of position by audibling pass to run or vice versa based on our personnel. Jamal afforded us the ability to counter either pass or run from a base set with his speed, second to none ability to read a play and blow it up, particularly when dropping down to support linebackers in the run game.

Neal can do maybe* 2/3rds of what Jamal can, but he's just not the force that 33 is, nor does he force offenses to scheme around him.

As a centerpiece to this defense, he is most definitely missed, and a good bit of the reason the personnel shortcomings we've experienced (Barton making poor reads- and just not being good enough- and Brooks overpursuing) have been exposed the way they have. Adams no doubt would have covered up a lot of the failures we've seen and himself been another piece opposing offenses would have had to deal with - particularly when allowing Adams to drop down in 3 safety packages that bring Neal onto the field and allow Adams to rush the passer or play run support.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
This ^ 100%

Anyone suggesting we’re better off without Adams is just not understanding his role and his impact on this D.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Totally agree. He knows how to tackle better than anyone on the team and that includes Brooks. We need him back next year healthy. Imagine the secondary with a healthy Jamal for 17 games

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Since Adams is one of the highly paid players on this team, it would do you a disservice to not try and develop a defense around Adams’ skill set.

I believe Carroll still thinks Adams is worthy of his contract. Carroll just hasn’t had the horses on defense to play with Adams.

Maybe it will come next year.

Since you have Adams, and are more or less “stuck with him” we might as well, try the best we can to make it “work” for all parties involved.

Think of it like this, what contract would you rather have?

Seahawks with Adams or Broncos with Wilson?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Losing 2020 Jamal Adams was a big loss, not the new broken Jamal who's shoulders are so ripped up he can't even wrap up anymore.

But yes, this is why we picked up Abrams off the waiver wire, he can't cover for crap but he can come down into the box and hit. Which is exactly what our terrible run defense needs right now.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Building the defense around one dudes special talent sounds like a bad idea.

You better have a backup that can take their place if they go down. Otherwise you have Seattle's 22' DEF.

keasley45

Reaction score
Building the defense around one dudes special talent sounds like a bad idea.

You better have a backup that can take their place if they go down. Otherwise you have Seattle's 22' DEF.

It's not uncommon to build a team around a superstar on offense or defense. Especially one that can be as mumtiple as Jamal. And Id wager that part of the reasons he wqs brought here in the first place was bbecause he could cover the weal areas effectively as we built the defense backand aroound his multiple talents. The issue we have is that the supporting cast is lacking in a few key areas and so the absence is magnified. Jamal was arguably the NFL's defensive MVP when we got him.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He tore his quad and has been healing up for 3 months. Realistically he could come back for the playoffs but I’d rather have a healthy Jamal for the duration of next year