Jamal Adams is a liability in coverage

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The entire defense is struggling. On every level.

When everyone is struggling, and all the players seem out of alignment - it is usually the driver, not the car.

I have a feeling Adams would look just fine under another DC that used him correctly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Agree with the OP.

I wonder if they can trade him for Bradley McDougald if we throw in a 3rd?

Huge liability and we are now screwed. He also has brick for hands and cannot pickoff a pass to save his life!

He has a grand total of 2 career interceptions in 5 years!!!

NY Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2hx0k8j9 said:
NY Hawk":2hx0k8j9 said:
Remember when the NY Jets DC said that the Seahawks won't know how to use him? And we thought he was just hating because he left. Guess dude was right huh?

Cant use that reasoning, they seem to not know how to use the other 10 guys on defense either right now.
The Jets could end up with a better record than the Seahawks this season.

Fade

Reaction score
Oh, it's much worse than Adams. They are the worst defense against the run in the league.

Jordyn Brooks, Bobby Wagner, Jamal Adams, Carlos Dunlap, Poona Ford, & Al Woods = 32nd ranked run defense. Poor coaching.

When these players are on the field, they aren't the greatest against the pass, but they have been excellent against the run for their careers, until this year.

I haven't watched all 32 teams, but I don't think it's a stretch given the talent they have, that they are the worst coached defense in the league.

Back to Jamal Adams, he had a similar play last year against the Rams where the ball was in the air and he couldn't track it, should've had an easy pick, instead gives up the long reception. He is what he is, a box safety. But Pete is on the record stating he's still trying to figure out how to use him. I'm sure he will. :D :D

TWO 1sts, a 3rd and $17.5M APY. Thanks Pete.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":z1fyly95 said:
Dude was a tackling machine at LSU. Hell, even when he was with the jets. His first year he showed amazing promise and looked like another brilliant acquisition by John. Now? He looks like a shell of his former self. How? Is he hurt? It has to be the coaching staff not understanding how to utilize him properly. We use to hear his name called constantly for a job well done. Now? The only time I ever hear his name is if he blows a coverage or something similar.
Even last season he was a major liability in coverage.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Omg. So much of this is not true or fact based. Poor in coverage how? Because the long throw to Jackson had jones played poorly and when Adam's turned to follow him deep or he'd get beat...the ball drops before him way shorter than the route would have gone? It was a bad throw by stafford as much as it was a great play by jackson for adjusting. The td to te...find me a safety In the league who can cover the out route effectively besides Baker and Mathieu. The only truth in this entire thread is he is being utilized incorrectly.

I'm not sure why he had great success last year, so the coaches could only use him exclusively as a safety now. It mind boggling. Just like using effective passer rushers as cover guys in zone. It's stupid. Why is benson mayowa out in the flat or dunlap at that. Why is taylor doing anything, but rushing the passer. Something he was better at in college. Doesnt makensense and all of sudden Adam's is playing deep consistently instead of diggs.

The only thing that is going to fix this team is the coaches adjusting to a different defense. One more suitable for the players they have. Not forcing players to ride or die on zone 3. Ecspecially players who cant cover in the first place. Examples are all of our corners. All of our linebackers are suspect too.

Stop pinning it on one player. You need to get over the whole traded first round picks for him bs. If you cant get over that...you wont be happy as a fan. He isnt going anywhere and is a player you build around.

edogg23

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2mxepnac said:
Omg. So much of this is not true or fact based. Poor in coverage how? Because the long throw to Jackson had jones played poorly and when Adam's turned to follow him deep or he'd get beat...the ball drops before him way shorter than the route would have gone? It was a bad throw by stafford as much as it was a great play by jackson for adjusting. The td to te...find me a safety In the league who can cover the out route effectively besides Baker and Mathieu. The only truth in this entire thread is he is being utilized incorrectly.

I'm not sure why he had great success last year, so the coaches could only use him exclusively as a safety now. It mind boggling. Just like using effective passer rushers as cover guys in zone. It's stupid. Why is benson mayowa out in the flat or dunlap at that. Why is taylor doing anything, but rushing the passer. Something he was better at in college. Doesnt makensense and all of sudden Adam's is playing deep consistently instead of diggs.

The only thing that is going to fix this team is the coaches adjusting to a different defense. One more suitable for the players they have. Not forcing players to ride or die on zone 3. Ecspecially players who cant cover in the first place. Examples are all of our corners. All of our linebackers are suspect too.

Stop pinning it on one player. You need to get over the whole traded first round picks for him bs. If you cant get over that...you wont be happy as a fan. He isnt going anywhere and is a player you build around.
Jamal is that you?

rcaido

Reaction score
Jamal played great last year, he seem like he was in every play wrecking havoc. The only time you notice him this year is a big play on the offense side. Its like they chained a junkyard dog w/ a short leash.

Is it he got paid or just really poor scheme/coaching.

Im hoping its the latter. Of all the time to suck, its this year because of the draft pick we gave up for Adams.

Fade

Reaction score
rcaido":39qc5525 said:
Jamal played great last year, he seem like he was in every play wrecking havoc. The only time you notice him this year is a big play on the offense side. Its like they chained a junkyard dog w/ a short leash.

Im hoping its the latter. Of all the time to suck, its this year because of the draft pick we gave up for Adams.

It's not for a lack of effort with Jamal, he is flying around out there. He is just a square peg in a round hole, right now.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It was Jones fault per Matty Brown. He said they were in man and Jones did not do a good job.

Stud

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":e2d2e3rt said:

https://twitter.com/JetsUKPod/status/1446502863467855873?s=20

PS, not sure how to embedd Tweets into this forum.

Reaction score
Most striking stat for me is that he's 5 games into his second year with the team and has yet to record an INT. Not good that 2 of the big additions to the defense from 2020 (Brooks and Adams) are struggling as much as they are.

Tokadub

Reaction score
iigakusei":xv11kkz9 said:
If we didn’t give up the world for him he might be benched. How does a guy go from being an all pro to being absolutely useless?

Well I think he is physically "shot", which is why I've predicted many times already (in previous threads) that he will be injured soon.

I think he technically is still injured, if you just look at how he moves on the field you can tell something is wrong with him. He doesn't use his arms very much at all in tackles and when he does they break right through...

He also seems slow, when he gave up that huge play vs the Rams he looked like he was running in quick sand... maybe he was just humiliated how much he sucks so he gave no more effort on that play.

I also think it's very possible he has some kind of substance abuse issue because he seems to mentally have no idea what's going on all season. He seems uncoachable from what I've seen, he never improves.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Fade":3951invf said:
rcaido":3951invf said:

It's not for a lack of effort with Jamal, he is flying around out there. He is just a square peg in a round hole, right now.

Well running fast doesn't mean making a play. He needs to run fast to the right place and he seems to be far too stupid (or on drugs/alcohol) to figure out how to play in our scheme.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":39vjq7gy said:
It was Jones fault per Matty Brown. He said they were in man and Jones did not do a good job.

The most common phrases I said out loud while watching this game were:

"WHAT THE %&*! ARE THEY DOING?!!!" (on both sides of the ball)

Followed closely by:

"JAMAL SUCKS SO BAD WHAT THE F*(&"

If you blame anyone other than Jamal on all the plays HE IS LITERALLY DOING NOTHING... he passes off coverage to defend NOTHING... he is literally just AFK on the field. So I don't care if they say it's not Jamal's fault if he gives up a big play... WHEN IN REALITY he's just staring at 20 yards of empty field in front of him... he is trash, and our coaches are trash if they told him to play that way.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Tokadub":234whqu4 said:
Shanegotyou11":234whqu4 said:

Did you even watch the game? If they were in man Jamal Adams was running with him and passed him off... that's not even man coverage in any sense of the definition.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree with those who maintain that Adams can be a special player, and have said from the gitgo that safety is not his calling. We would be much better off with Amadi at nick and Blair at safety, and a special position created for Adams, one that is assigned limited pass coverage. His primary strengths are disruption and QB harassment, so it would figure we should assign him one of the linebacker roles where if he is forced to cover it is in a confined space. What out goal for Adams should be is to have him in the opponents backfield instead of in ours.

flv

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3cpn338l said:
I agree with those who maintain that Adams can be a special player, and have said from the gitgo that safety is not his calling. We would be much better off with Amadi at nick and Blair at safety, and a special position created for Adams, one that is assigned limited pass coverage. His primary strengths are disruption and QB harassment, so it would figure we should assign him one of the linebacker roles where if he is forced to cover it is in a confined space. What out goal for Adams should be is to have him in the opponents backfield instead of in ours.
If only his DC understood this.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
Appyhawk":pg2b87es said:
Neal needs to be out there more than any of those guys you mentioned imo. It’s crazy how the LOB were all guys who came up in lower rounds in the draft and under the radar(with the exception of ET), Neal is showing time and time again he could be a star and they refuse to give him a chance. It would’ve been pretty sweet to just pull Sherm or Kam right after they showed signs of being a star (not saying Neal is on the same level) but we could have a great player on our hands that just needs to be given a chance. I would move JA to linebacker and play Neal, Blair and Amadi.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
When JA was asked about the defensive struggles his reply.......”we need more dogs.” :pukeface:

Latest posts