Lynch and Seahawks Agree to New 3 yr, $31 mil Deal

Hawkintent

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Bevell seen in parking lot washing Lynch's car. Part of deal according to sources.

Bprez3

Reaction score
kidhawk":3qj2bkyu said:
Bprez3":3qj2bkyu said:
Sounds like we may need to revise the title of this topic:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
Marshawn Lynch just signed, source said. 2 years $24 million with $12M this year. He’s back.

Seahawks App calling it 2 year extension for $24 million which is pretty much a 3 year $31 million deal

Thanks for clarifying.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago
Lynch’s signing (with $12M guaranteed) came after a long meeting with Paul Allen, Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider & agent Doug Hendrickson.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/574018703261487104

I would love to have been able to listen into this meeting. I also would like to know how to make the tweet appear in my post as oppossed to copying and pasting the link

NYCoug

Reaction score
This thread needs more love. This news just made my day. My entire apartment was just forced to raise their glasses to Marshawn. And to Zach Miller. Bittersweet day, but a great one getting Marshawn back. This thread better end up 20 pages deep with nothing but love for Marshawn!

kidhawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":fdq4wu1a said:
This thread needs more love. This news just made my day. My entire apartment was just forced to raise their glasses to Marshawn. And to Zach Miller. Bittersweet day, but a great one getting Marshawn back. This thread better end up 20 pages deep with nothing but love for Marshawn!

I did this in an earlier thread about Lynch, but I think you're right, it deserves to be here too

:thirishdrinkers:

Seafan

Reaction score
I've read it's a one year contract, it's a 2 year extension, it's a 3 year contract, etc. In reality it is a new 3 year contract which definitely favors the Hawks. It it had been a new 1 year contract it would have killed the cap space this season. When the first reports came out I thought I'll wait until the real story finally breaks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":205vvltb said:
I've read it's a one year contract, it's a 2 year extension, it's a 3 year contract, etc. In reality it is a new 3 year contract which definitely favors the Hawks. It it had been a new 1 year contract it would have killed the cap space this season. When the first reports came out I thought I'll wait until the real story finally breaks.

Hawks call it a 2 year extension, because he was already under contract. It does change the terms of the upcoming year though, so either 2 year extension or 3 year deal can both work

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a1mmkg7b said:
SuperFreak":a1mmkg7b said:
The one-year deal is worth $11 million, including a $1 million base salary, a $9 million signing bonus and a $1 million roster bonus, a source told ESPN's John Clayton.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12434 ... e-seahawks

Interesting, most people thought it'd be a two year deal with most of the guaranteed money in the first year.

Does this mean Lynch has pretty much told John and Pete he's done after this year?

The way I see it, the guaranteed money is all this year. It's smart, that way Lynch can't hold them hostage, or if he decides to hang it up, there won't be dead money to deal with. They can also cut him if he declines too quickly, which I don't think he will. I doubt he's told them he only wants one year, but this leaves room for everyone.

If Lynch produces, he's going to get paid. If he doesn't, there aren't any ramifications. It's the best for both sides.

A

Anonymous

Ian Rappaport of NFL Network is calling it a 2-yr extension with 24m guaranteed money.

Just read it off the screen.

I'm confused.

:229031_confused2:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":2iv2fvi7 said:
Sgt. Largent":2iv2fvi7 said:
SuperFreak":2iv2fvi7 said:
The one-year deal is worth $11 million, including a $1 million base salary, a $9 million signing bonus and a $1 million roster bonus, a source told ESPN's John Clayton.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12434 ... e-seahawks

Interesting, most people thought it'd be a two year deal with most of the guaranteed money in the first year.

Does this mean Lynch has pretty much told John and Pete he's done after this year?

The way I see it, the guaranteed money is all this year. It's smart, that way Lynch can't hold them hostage, or if he decides to hang it up, there won't be dead money to deal with. They can also cut him if he declines too quickly, which I don't think he will. I doubt he's told them he only wants one year, but this leaves room for everyone.

If Lynch produces, he's going to get paid. If he doesn't, there aren't any ramifications. It's the best for both sides.

That's the part I would love to know from you guys who know this stuff. Seems like teams get into cap trouble when they have dead money or guaranteed money when guys go downhill fast. Nice work if the Hawks minimized or eliminated this risk

TAB420

Reaction score
Okay, so what exactly is the cap difference this year, from the old contract and the new one? I'm hearing mixed reports.

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawks08":1n96q3c5 said:
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-running-back-Marshawn-Lynch-signs-two-year-extension-through-2017/d19334e3-293a-4bb9-b15b-8eb48c5e305e

It official at seahawks.com for 2 years

2 year extension. So the year he was already under contract plus 2 years. Cap hit next season is the same as his old deal at approx 8.5 million.

TAB420

Reaction score
Basis4day":3cmpgn6e said:
seahawks08":3cmpgn6e said:
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-running-back-Marshawn-Lynch-signs-two-year-extension-through-2017/d19334e3-293a-4bb9-b15b-8eb48c5e305e

It official at seahawks.com for 2 years

2 year extension. So the year he was already under contract plus 2 years. Cap hit next season is the same as his old deal at approx 8.5 million.

Thanks Basis

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm really glad to have this done. Heart and soul of team..

That said, I'm not naive to think this isn't a much greater risk given Lynch's carry totals and age. Even the best running backs ever hit a wall at 30.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
the money after 2015 puts the decision more in the hands of the Seahawks than ever before with Lynch. Any injury or sub 1000 yard season or belief they have the RB of the future and Marshawn gets cut, as there's no way he'd ever restructure and take less money to stay in 2016.