Make No Mistake The 49ers are the Real Threat NOT the Rams

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":ghqodoik said:
NINEster":ghqodoik said:
5_Golden_Rings":ghqodoik said:
Marvin49":ghqodoik said:
Couple things...

1) If you are gonna use the 2011 team as the defensive blueprint, you are going to be disappointed. A LOT. Niners may NEVER have another front 7 like that. It isn't a requirement.

2) NOBODY is putting them on the "great team" bandwagon. We are looking for "Competent" or "Good team with a shot at the playoffs".

I think the level of domination you are looking for would put them in rarefied air in the NFL and I don't think anyone (or at least not on THIS site) is putting them anywhere near that echelon.

NINEster":ghqodoik said:
I appreciate 5 Golden Rings' history lesson here, however in the 2019 NFL, you're rarely ever going to get such disciplined play for 60 minutes, let alone from a young up and coming teams.

As I've said many times before on here and on the Zone, you don't know what you have until November/December, and in Shanahan's case he has fielded a superior team each December to the respective September.

The big difference now is he's 3-0, not 0-3, or 1-2. The only reason why Mullens was even a thing is because the November/December Shanahan offense is for real. We've seen it with both Jimmy (oh yes, Jimmy), and Mullens making it happen when all the moving pieces on the field have their act together, which seemingly is tougher for them to do in September. The expectation is that the December offense this year will be better than it was even two years ago when Jimmy first started.

My gut instinct is if the 49ers stay healthy they'll become a force in December. I don't want any outside help, just Staley and Witherspoon back and this team will be ready to battle Seattle, Rams, Cowboys, Eagles, whomever.

I'm looking for ONE game of that kind of dominance. Maybe two, maybe even three. A championship contender will do that at least once per season, usually two or three times. The Bengals game simply does not fit the criteria.

The 2011 49ers had one such game, the 48-3 one against the Bucs. We've yet to see that from this one, and until we do, they'll be pretenders to me.

The word pretender is strong, especially coming from a fan.

I got the 2019 Almanac from Football Outsiders this year.

In there, is a paragraph towards the end discussing what makes a great team.

And in it, basically it's the ability to dominate/control lesser opponents consistently. It didn't say you had to win by 40 points once or twice a season but to show that you were in control in most games, or at least the ones you would expect.

The Harbaugh era 49ers started showing that from the Bucs game onwards more often than not all the way up to the Cowboy season opener in 2014. After that, it was over.

But this is all talk about 12-4+ quality type teams......the 9-7/10-6 threshold doesn't need to be quite as good.
I'm a fan. I'm not delusional. I'm more George Seifert than Mooch.

But goodness, this team is shaky right now. They cannot win consistently the way they are playing on offense. You can put all the yards up you want, but this many mistakes is losing football. The only reason we aren't 0-3 or 1-2 is because the defense started getting turnovers and sacks.

9-7? That would be a fairly disappointing finish (6-7 down the stretch) based on a 3-0 start, unless you understand the context of that start.

I get what you are saying, but its 3 games.

In 2011, the 49ers opened the season 2-1 with wins over the Seahawks, and Bengals and a loss to the Cowboys.

VS the Seahawks, they put up a TOTAL of 206 yards on offense. They allowed more yards than they gained.
VS the Cowboys, they put up...wait for it.....206 yards. The Cowboys actually more than doubled their yards output.
VS the Bengals, they put up 228 yards. The Bengals had only 2 yards less.

The Bucs game was in Week 5...and they put up 418 yards. The 49ers ARE ALREADY better than their 2011 counterpart....at least on the stat sheet. That's not to say this will be like 2011.

Turnovers? Of course that's an issue, but not nearly as big of one as being portrayed. They've turned the ball over 8 times, but FIVE were in one game and of those 5 3 were unforced. These are correctable mistakes. Its a bobbled screen pass. Its a fumbled snap from a center who missed the entire preseason. Its bad timing on a snap as a WR is crossing the QBs face. They are the kinds of mistakes that get resolved. They came into the game with only 3 over 2 games. Sometimes you have a bad day. If they average 3 turnovers a game for 6-8 weeks, THEN I'll be concerned.

If not for mistakes, the 49ers would have beaten the doors off the Steelers. If not for questionable penalties, they would have beaten the Bucs much more convincingly (THREE TDs taken off the board).

No, they haven't played a perfect game...but its 3 games man. LOL.

My point is that they are 3-0 which is better than 0-3 and nobody is saying they've arrived. I wouldn't expect the 49ers to have the kinds of dominating performances you are looking for this early in the season, particularly with a QB returning from an ACL and only 13 NFL starts. I think you're standards for whether they will be a good team this year are far too high. Winning game ain't easy in the NFL. We should't require dominance to take the team seriously.

A win is a win.

knownone

Reaction score
Ultimately, the 49ers will go as far as Jimmy G can take them. Jimmy has 4 Int's and 2 fumbles in 3 games, and the best defense he's faced is ranked 19th in the league. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a legitimate concern.

To be fair, the Rams and Seahawks have their own concerns. Again though, Wilson has a long enough track record of success that we know he'll keep the Hawks in the mix at the end. Where the 49ers and Rams go from here is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be shocked if the 49ers win 10+ games, and I wouldn't be shocked if they fall off a cliff. I have no clue what to make of the Rams. If they can't run their offense through Gurley and Goff can't take the next step, they'll struggle to win 10 games. Seattle and San Fran have legitimately looked bad at times this year... the Rams have looked worse.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":mdrxi2hz said:
Ultimately, the 49ers will go as far as Jimmy G can take them. Jimmy has 4 Int's and 2 fumbles in 3 games, and the best defense he's faced is ranked 19th in the league. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a legitimate concern.

To be fair, the Rams and Seahawks have their own concerns. Again though, Wilson has a long enough track record of success that we know he'll keep the Hawks in the mix at the end. Where the 49ers and Rams go from here is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be shocked if the 49ers win 10+ games, and I wouldn't be shocked if they fall off a cliff. I have no clue what to make of the Rams. If they can't run their offense through Gurley and Goff can't take the next step, they'll struggle to win 10 games. Seattle and San Fran have legitimately looked bad at times this year... the Rams have looked worse.

As you say, those TO aren't the whole story.

Both of those fumbles were failed QB/Center exchanges (second one hard to explain...WR got in the way...lol) and one of those INTs was 100% on the RB who bobbled a screen pass into the air.

Still though, your point holds. Jimmy always seems to turn the ball over at least once and there is always at least one throw where we are left thinking "um....what?". Its really odd. He'll look fantastic and then he'll make one of those throws and...huh?

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":cjlm8z4q said:
knownone":cjlm8z4q said:

Both of those fumbles were failed QB/Center exchanges (second one hard to explain...WR got in the way...lol) and one of those INTs was 100% on the RB who bobbled a screen pass into the air.

Still though, your point holds. Jimmy always seems to turn the ball over at least once and there is always at least one throw where we are left thinking "um....what?". Its really odd. He'll look fantastic and then he'll make one of those throws and...huh?
For sure, but it's important to remember that Seahawks and Rams fans can make the same case for their teams issues (and so can other teams). Seattle's given up 48 points on special teams, penalties extending drives, and turnovers. Jared Goff has 6 INT's and 4 of them were either tipped or Goff got hit while releasing the ball. At some point enough of those fluky plays become an indictment on the teams preparation as whole.

I think Jimmy is benefiting from a great offensive coach. His issues are similar to Goff in that he seems to do well when the plays being called are working as designed and the ball comes out quick. He struggles when he has to create or read the defense on his own. That's what I think you are noticing in his play. It's also possible the injury is making him hesitant, and he's still in his relative infancy as starter, so we'll see what he develops into in the long run.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ex3r4kd said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ex3r4kd said:
NINEster":3ex3r4kd said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ex3r4kd said:
I'm looking for ONE game of that kind of dominance. Maybe two, maybe even three. A championship contender will do that at least once per season, usually two or three times. The Bengals game simply does not fit the criteria.

The 2011 49ers had one such game, the 48-3 one against the Bucs. We've yet to see that from this one, and until we do, they'll be pretenders to me.

And in it, basically it's the ability to dominate/control lesser opponents consistently. It didn't say you had to win by 40 points once or twice a season but to show that you were in control in most games, or at least the ones you would expect.

The Harbaugh era 49ers started showing that from the Bucs game onwards more often than not all the way up to the Cowboy season opener in 2014. After that, it was over.

But this is all talk about 12-4+ quality type teams......the 9-7/10-6 threshold doesn't need to be quite as good.

But goodness, this team is shaky right now. They cannot win consistently the way they are playing on offense. You can put all the yards up you want, but this many mistakes is losing football. The only reason we aren't 0-3 or 1-2 is because the defense started getting turnovers and sacks.

9-7? That would be a fairly disappointing finish (6-7 down the stretch) based on a 3-0 start, unless you understand the context of that start.

In 2011, the 49ers opened the season 2-1 with wins over the Seahawks, and Bengals and a loss to the Cowboys.

VS the Seahawks, they put up a TOTAL of 206 yards on offense. They allowed more yards than they gained.
VS the Cowboys, they put up...wait for it.....206 yards. The Cowboys actually more than doubled their yards output.

The Bucs game was in Week 5...and they put up 418 yards. The 49ers ARE ALREADY better than their 2011 counterpart....at least on the stat sheet. That's not to say this will be like 2011.

Turnovers? Of course that's an issue, but not nearly as big of one as being portrayed. They've turned the ball over 8 times, but FIVE were in one game and of those 5 3 were unforced. These are correctable mistakes. Its a bobbled screen pass. Its a fumbled snap from a center who missed the entire preseason. Its bad timing on a snap as a WR is crossing the QBs face. They are the kinds of mistakes that get resolved. They came into the game with only 3 over 2 games. Sometimes you have a bad day. If they average 3 turnovers a game for 6-8 weeks, THEN I'll be concerned.

If not for mistakes, the 49ers would have beaten the doors off the Steelers. If not for questionable penalties, they would have beaten the Bucs much more convincingly (THREE TDs taken off the board).

My point is that they are 3-0 which is better than 0-3 and nobody is saying they've arrived. I wouldn't expect the 49ers to have the kinds of dominating performances you are looking for this early in the season, particularly with a QB returning from an ACL and only 13 NFL starts. I think you're standards for whether they will be a good team this year are far too high. Winning game ain't easy in the NFL. We should't require dominance to take the team seriously.

A win is a win.
My concern is Jimmy G's and the WR's inexperience. Now, Seahawk fans will hold him to an irrational standard due to their hatred of the 49ers, but let's be real here: he's started what? 13 games? The guy has not seen a lot of NFL defenses first hand in live game action. As a result, he's making some questionable reads. Sometimes he gets away with it due to his release, sometimes he throws a great pass, but he's on a couple of occasions failed to see the entire field on a deep pass, notably on cover 3 where the cornerback lines up as if he'll be playing near the line of of scrimmage in the flat. He's also stuck to his initial presnap read too often.

What concerns me is that the defense is ready to contend now. The running backs and offensive line are ready to contend now. Jimmy G, however, is a year or two away from being a high caliber quarterback (assuming he steadily improves over time). Same with the wide receivers.

Contending teams compensate for QBs or WRs learning on the job by having elite defenses. Our defense may or may not be there, but the problem is there are two other great teams in the division.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3q3ed7zt said:
Marvin49":3q3ed7zt said:
5_Golden_Rings":3q3ed7zt said:
NINEster":3q3ed7zt said:

A win is a win.
My concern is Jimmy G's and the WR's inexperience. Now, Seahawk fans will hold him to an irrational standard due to their hatred of the 49ers, but let's be real here: he's started what? 13 games? The guy has not seen a lot of NFL defenses first hand in live game action. As a result, he's making some questionable reads. Sometimes he gets away with it due to his release, sometimes he throws a great pass, but he's on a couple of occasions failed to see the entire field on a deep pass, notably on cover 3 where the cornerback lines up as if he'll be playing near the line of of scrimmage in the flat. He's also stuck to his initial presnap read too often.

What concerns me is that the defense is ready to contend now. The running backs and offensive line are ready to contend now. Jimmy G, however, is a year or two away from being a high caliber quarterback (assuming he steadily improves over time). Same with the wide receivers.

Contending teams compensate for QBs or WRs learning on the job by having elite defenses. Our defense may or may not be there, but the problem is there are two other great teams in the division.

I see what you see.

I know exactly what you are talking about. WR running deep and appears wide open and Jimmy doesn't see a corner on the other side of the field dropping his responsibility and instead dropping deep. It resulted in an INT in Cincy and almost resulted in one vs Pitt.

Yes. He is still learning. That process will continue all year if not longer. THAT is the main thing he was robbed of last year with the ACL. This offense is also notorious for taking a QB a long time to get a handle on. Jimmy is going to struggle. I guarantee it. We KNEW that though before he took a single snap this year.

Just remember tho....The QB in 2011 was Alex Smith. Alex. Smith. No, Jimmy hasn't hit his full stride yet, but he'll get there. He may not even need to be at full stride for this team to contend.

You see a QB not fully there yet and inexperienced WRs and that makes you nervous.

I see that same situation and see that they are 3-0 and can only improve. Very few looked at this team and said "yup, that's a Super Bowl Team". The though was anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6. I don't think that's really changed.

NINEster

Reaction score
knownone":1eoy19uh said:
Marvin49":1eoy19uh said:
knownone":1eoy19uh said:

For sure, but it's important to remember that Seahawks and Rams fans can make the same case for their teams issues (and so can other teams). Seattle's given up 48 points on special teams, penalties extending drives, and turnovers. Jared Goff has 6 INT's and 4 of them were either tipped or Goff got hit while releasing the ball. At some point enough of those fluky plays become an indictment on the teams preparation as whole.

I think Jimmy is benefiting from a great offensive coach. His issues are similar to Goff in that he seems to do well when the plays being called are working as designed and the ball comes out quick. He struggles when he has to create or read the defense on his own. That's what I think you are noticing in his play. It's also possible the injury is making him hesitant, and he's still in his relative infancy as starter, so we'll see what he develops into in the long run.

Sure Jimmy is benefiting from a great coach, just like Drew Brees. Alex Smith benefited from having Andy Reid over Harbaugh.

But can't read defenses on his own? GTFOH. You don't earn a big contract if you can't do that. The Jimmy G highlights from 2017 in particular are the opposite of Wilson's.......few deep balls, mostly surgical strikes, and extended plays that weren't particularly broken (i.e. 15 seconds of running around so Lockett or Baldwin can be wide open). Jimmy "created" plenty that year, mostly out of necessity with not knowing the playbook.

Wilson is still not a great reader of defenses either/progression QB. For his vast experience in the league, he's still pretty much relying on the deep ball and extended plays. He gets the job done, but let's not act he's Brady level in the pocket manipulating safeties with his eyes and getting to the 4th option while still in the tackle box.

If he really was that special, he would be throwing over 50 TDs a year every year and the Seahawks would go 15-1.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":28kyetrq said:
knownone":28kyetrq said:
Marvin49":28kyetrq said:
knownone":28kyetrq said:

Sure Jimmy is benefiting from a great coach, just like Drew Brees. Alex Smith benefited from having Andy Reid over Harbaugh.

But can't read defenses on his own? GTFOH. You don't earn a big contract if you can't do that. The Jimmy G highlights from 2017 in particular are the opposite of Wilson's.......few deep balls, mostly surgical strikes, and extended plays that weren't particularly broken (i.e. 15 seconds of running around so Lockett or Baldwin can be wide open). Jimmy "created" plenty that year, mostly out of necessity with not knowing the playbook.

Wilson is still not a great reader of defenses either/progression QB. For his vast experience in the league, he's still pretty much relying on the deep ball and extended plays. He gets the job done, but let's not act he's Brady level in the pocket manipulating safeties with his eyes and getting to the 4th option while still in the tackle box.

If he really was that special, he would be throwing over 50 TDs a year every year and the Seahawks would go 15-1.

He's only done what no QB has ever done before.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1179983730204540928[/tweet]

Meanwhile, GQ hasn't even started a full season's worth of games, but according to you, he's better. Only a whiners fan would take GQ over Wilson.

Troll.

chris98251

Reaction score
The will dissapear after the next couple losses, right now they are undefeated and have a scheduling first place position.

SF49r

Reaction score
Can't believe people still doubt Wilson, that guy is single-handily carrying the Seahawks and is making his mark as the best QB in the NFL this season. Mahomes is great but hes also got the benefit of having Andy Reid call his plays, the same guy who turned Alex Smith into a 4000 yard passer. Doesn't matter if you think WIlson can't do all these mental tricks he still continues to make plays when they aren't there and wins games.

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":1geljdba said:
The will dissapear after the next couple losses, right now they are undefeated and have a scheduling first place position.

You mean like all the 2012s after the SB loss?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":35u7b8yq said:
Can't believe people still doubt Wilson, that guy is single-uhandily carrying the Seahawks and is making his mark as the best QB in the NFL this season. Mahomes is great but hes also got the benefit of having Andy Reid call his plays, the same guy who turned Alex Smith into a 4000 yard passer. Doesn't matter if you think WIlson can't do all these mental tricks he still continues to make plays when they aren't there and wins games.
Go read the DenailZone 49’ers forum in the Seattle thread. Some of the same niner posters under different screen names in this thread don’t give RW an ounce of credit. Their reasoning for Wilson’s success is misleading stats and pure luck. Its quite comical to see the bitterness over there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Washington49er":6h14453b said:
chris98251":6h14453b said:

Speaking of bitterness, LivinginHawktown makes an appearance right on cue.
A typical “0-1’er”.

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":1ggj0rdv said:
chris98251":1ggj0rdv said:

Last time I looked we still sell out and don't displace Youth Soccer teams either, our arrest record is much lower and I am still looking for a Division or Conference Championship since Harbaugh told the Front Office to go fly a kit.

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":1d3944os said:
Washington49er":1d3944os said:
chris98251":1d3944os said:

Last time I looked we still sell out and don't displace Youth Soccer teams either, our arrest record is much lower and I am still looking for a Division or Conference Championship since Harbaugh told the Front Office to go fly a kit.

C'mon Chris you know the 2012s never filled the stadium. 2012s barely knew who was on the roster or asked stupid questions like "who's Largent". Real 12s are not the same 2012s, all teams have their bandwagoners.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2oakx7r4 said:
Washington49er":2oakx7r4 said:
chris98251":2oakx7r4 said:

Speaking of bitterness, LivinginHawktown makes an appearance right on cue.
A typical “0-1’er”.

Hey if it isn't big Richard himself. Clown college let out a little early tonight eh?

SF49r

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2h01h272 said:
SF49r":2h01h272 said:
Can't believe people still doubt Wilson, that guy is single-uhandily carrying the Seahawks and is making his mark as the best QB in the NFL this season. Mahomes is great but hes also got the benefit of having Andy Reid call his plays, the same guy who turned Alex Smith into a 4000 yard passer. Doesn't matter if you think WIlson can't do all these mental tricks he still continues to make plays when they aren't there and wins games.
Go read the DenailZone 49’ers forum in the Seattle thread. Some of the same niner posters under different screen names in this thread don’t give RW an ounce of credit. Their reasoning for Wilson’s success is misleading stats and pure luck. Its quite comical to see the bitterness over there.
It's just biased hate because hes a Seahawk and I'm pretty sure they only watch 49er games. I'm also a big casual football fan I watch alot non-niner games even though I am a huge 49er fan, but I have watched damn near every game Russell Wilson played and I gotta give the credit where its do, hes just an amazing QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":la4cmf7i said:
chris98251":la4cmf7i said:
Washington49er":la4cmf7i said:
chris98251":la4cmf7i said:

C'mon Chris you know the 2012s never filled the stadium. 2012s barely knew who was on the roster or asked stupid questions like "who's Largent". Real 12s are not the same 2012s, all teams have their bandwagoners.

I can't split the fan base on that level due to the many that stayed, but yes we had a influx of fans come on board in 2012 and forward. We were a sexy social topic etc, and yes it was frustrating having so many wonder who Largent, Easley, Kennedy etc were.

Now I have to get disinfected and decontaminated for being in the same boat with you on that aspect.

Latest posts