JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
nategreat":32b1vejc said:
Jazzhawk":32b1vejc said:
getnasty":32b1vejc said:
Best record in baseball. Feels Good!
On pace for 162 wins! Wooooo!!!

There's no way they maintain that pace.

As long as they have Ichiro and Felix on the roster they've got a chance!

Kidding aside, glad to hear the game this morning went so well. As frustrated as I've been with the M's, the start of every new MLB season gets me somewhat excited.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rj401xs said:
I think theres a lot to be excited for and interested in. But it wont be wins-losses.

If fans are ok with that, they may enjoy the season
My only hope this year is that they are not boring to watch.
I don’t think they have the pitching to do great things, though I think they can be decent.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I gotta admit, it was pretty awesome listening to the middle of the game at 4:30 this morning during my commute. I'm pumped for this year. I don't care what everyone is saying, this team can be really, really good. There should be a new level of excitement with the aging, lazy players, some who were malcontent punks, out the door. If Spring Training was any indication, there's a ton of young, hungry prospects waiting for their chance. It's great. If Servais and Dipoto give the Felix train a long leash, it'll be a make enough slap in the face though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1t7ivpp6 said:
I gotta admit, it was pretty awesome listening to the middle of the game at 4:30 this morning during my commute. I'm pumped for this year. I don't care what everyone is saying, this team can be really, really good. There should be a new level of excitement with the aging, lazy players, some who were malcontent punks, out the door. If Spring Training was any indication, there's a ton of young, hungry prospects waiting for their chance. It's great. If Servais and Dipoto give the Felix train a long leash, it'll be a make enough slap in the face though.

Why not, Right?

sutz

Reaction score
2-0 and the Ichiro question is answered. He's retiring after this series.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":3nl3oojk said:

All the hand wringing for nothing, really.

For me, it was a wonderful way to celebrate Japans contributions to MLB

And... 2-0!

Atradees

Reaction score
DoSwingo makes a nice catch at the wall to end the game. Healy is looking good at third. We will see how this rotation shakes out. The bullpen was solid this second game. The M's have won two road games. Nice.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12yjdejs said:
sutz":12yjdejs said:

All the hand wringing for nothing, really.

For me, it was a wonderful way to celebrate Japans contributions to MLB

And... 2-0!
Yeah, some foks don't appreciate the traditions and history of the game, not to mention respect for the fans. Just because they're in Japan doesn't mean they don't count. Love the respect YK was showing, almost in tears in the dugout. Ichiro is one of the best players in team history, I'm OK with how they handled it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Great win. Our lineup is quite intriguing actually. We don't have a real #1 SP (or even a #2-Marco would be a 4, 3 at best on other teams) and questions remain with the pen but seeing a lot of young, hungry guys battling out there gives hope down the road a couple years.

I still maintain the Ichiro thing was a farce and a joke. He didn't deserve to be there and took away ABs from up and comers Bishop and Moore. You have to earn your way on a major league roster and watching Ichiro go 2 for 37 in the spring and 0 for 5 against Oakland was ridiculous. To contrast, Julio Franco played til he was 49 because he could still freaking hit-he earned it.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":n4jbrcbo said:
Great win. Our lineup is quite intriguing actually. We don't have a real #1 SP (or even a #2-Marco would be a 4, 3 at best on other teams) and questions remain with the pen but seeing a lot of young, hungry guys battling out there gives hope down the road a couple years.

I still maintain the Ichiro thing was a farce and a joke. He didn't deserve to be there and took away ABs from up and comers Bishop and Moore. You have to earn your way on a major league roster and watching Ichiro go 2 for 37 in the spring and 0 for 5 against Oakland was ridiculous. To contrast, Julio Franco played til he was 49 because he could still freaking hit-he earned it.

Eh ichiro deserved it and it was only 2 games. Whole season? I agree.

On a side note, can we just play in tokyo the whole year?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":pzz7hb1t said:

I can name a dozen players who took a whole year for their farewell tour.

He got 2 games. Played a good right field as well.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We should play in Japan more often, great start to the season.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2wytnlcc said:
We should play in Japan more often, great start to the season.
We're already one of the most traveled teams every year. No thanks. :mrgreen:

BTW, I know you're kidding. ;)

Atradees

Reaction score
Dunn had a good outing the other day in a spring game. I am real excited about him. “I definitely think he is a starter,” Servais said.......

Atradees

Reaction score
A syllogism (Greek: συλλογισμός syllogismos, "conclusion, inference") is a kind of logical argument that applies deductive reasoning to arrive at a conclusion based on two or more propositions that are asserted or assumed to be true.

This article assumes the mariners are trying a Holistic approach to baseball because they are cheap. It implies that what they are doing is laughable and uninformed. Frankly, it sounds like a yahoo click bait piece to me designed to draw on angst.

I would counter that the new FO inherited and created some difficult to move contracts. That's how teams acquire talent. Its about value and collateral in today's baseball contracts. Having done a magnificent job jettisoning those contracts; they are now continually evaluating the new pieces. There was some take back in those great moves that helped other teams as well as us. Now financial obligations are all real short term and are about to expire. Cap heaven is coming. There is no denying some real potential youth coming up the ranks.

What am I saying? The mariners are doing exactly what they said they would do.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice response Atradees. I was trying to dream one up myself.

From the article, one might assume that the M's are eschewing such things as training baseball skills and basics while going all 'new age foo-foo' on the players. Servais and the FO seem to have some interesting ideas in how to build camaraderie and togetherness within the team, but that doesn't mean the young kids are not getting real coaching and honing their skills. Their basic idea was to get a good group of young guys and let them grow up together instead of rotating in a new bunch of high priced FA's every year hoping for something to work out.

TBH, we have two 100 win teams in our division. Sucks, but that's what we have to deal with. We're probably better off doing this now, in the hope that the 'Stros and A's are past their peaks as the M's come into theirs. Trying to add talent to an aging 89 win team in a effort to squeeze 15 more wins out of it is probably a losing proposition and certainly not financially viable.

I wasn't that impressed with the article, either. Much like fantasy football has ruined a lot of commentary in that sport, this article has a decided Rotisserie sound to it. Thinking a team can trade it's way into the WS may work in Rotisserie. In the real world, it doesn't work like that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its Deadspin so theres always a level of humor assumed. Taking it literally would miss the point. And honestly, you both kind of did (take it literally)

The holistic approach is really just a way to reflect on the changes Seattle is undergoing in contrast to the direction other teams around them are. Referencing how theyve shed veteran payroll and introduced some methods to create a superstar instead of purchasing one is, again, more of a means to an end. The assumption is not holism would compete with millions of dollars. Ofcourse not. The contrast is the joke. The punchline is Harper and Trouts salaries.

Its contrasting the massive contracts and extensions baseball just went through. Its sarcastically using the idea yoga and diet can supplant a quarter billion dollar salaries. If you didnt get the joke, the last paragraph explains it.

I thought it funny and witty.. which is the point