Maybe The Beat Up D-Line Can Have an Impact After All

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Interesting. I've been so fixated on our depth concerns at DL that I haven't paid much attention to Carolina. It will be great if we can create pressure on Newton, but we still have to play really smart "contain" football. That dude is a freak, but if we get in his head we'll have a good day.

Laloosh

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ab3vvou said:
I have a feeling the Panthers are going to be in for a little surprise with our scheme and attack Sunday.

While I hope that's the case. I haven't seen anything out of our pass rush that blew me away thus far. Be nice not to have to rely on blitzes to apply pressure.

Then again, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground for what it's worth...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3hn3h2g5 said:
FlyingGreg":3hn3h2g5 said:
I have a feeling the Panthers are going to be in for a little surprise with our scheme and attack Sunday.

While I hope that's the case. I haven't seen anything out of our pass rush that blew me away thus far. Be nice not to have to rely on blitzes to apply pressure.

Then again, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground for what it's worth...

You didn't see anything in pre-season. :stirthepot:

No game planning...

Sunday will be much different.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even with Carolina's depleted guard situation, I don't think that will change our scheme.

Last year we held Cam and their offense to under 200 yards of offense by playing contain defense. Not a lot of blitzes, just a lot of man on man, seal off the edges and make Cam beat us with his arm...........which he couldn't do. I expect more of the same for this game.

The only thing I'm worried about is Carolina coming out and pounding the run against our thin/unconditioned D-Line. But considering they're down to one RB and now backup guards, this might not work for them.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dqef7nq1 said:
Even with Carolina's depleted guard situation, I don't think that will change our scheme.

Last year we held Cam and their offense to under 200 yards of offense by playing contain defense. Not a lot of blitzes, just a lot of man on man, seal off the edges and make Cam beat us with his arm...........which he couldn't do. I expect more of the same for this game.

The only thing I'm worried about is Carolina coming out and pounding the run against our thin/unconditioned D-Line. But considering they're down to one RB and now backup guards, this might not work for them.

No Stewart and a disjointed O line? Not exactly a recipe for "pounding the run".

ensett

Reaction score
Guard by committee. They are just copying what we did last year at RG, our coaches know how to deal with this. Guaranteed 5 sacks from mebane

C-Dub

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2y12o5ly said:
FlyingGreg":2y12o5ly said:

I love ice cream, but sometimes I get tired of vanilla by the end of preseason. I like to switch it up with some chocolate during the season, and even some strawberry on crazy days. Maybe throw in some sprinkles and brownies too. Heck, even cookie dough sounds good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3e8v1ehm said:
Sgt. Largent":3e8v1ehm said:

No Stewart and a disjointed O line? Not exactly a recipe for "pounding the run".

But considering they're down to one RB and now backup guards, this might not work for them.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Bennett is setup to have a good game here, I'll look for Carolina to double him and try and double Mebane or run right at him so I hope our LB's and DE's can take advantage but you guys are right, playing contain and taking out the deep sideline passes seemed to work well last year and if they can't run up the middle between the tackles they have to pass over the LB's between the safety and run to the edge. Luckily, we have lots of speed to the line of scrimmage in addition to a stellar secondary, this should limit their offense enough for our defense to win.

C-Dub

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2648g6gt said:
Sgt. Largent":2648g6gt said:

Exactly. Newton will break a few runs here and there, but ultimately, he'll be forced to throw and will make bad decisions. Those Kittens don't stand a chance.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think the scheme will be extremely vanilla. Contain contain contain. Keep Newton from finding that huge hole and running. Make him throw it into our secondary. That's what I'd try and do at least.

hawker84

Reaction score
after reading comments on the carolina huddle boards, there main concerns were the RB's and O line.

One poster went as far as to say, "our O line is a Turnstall line at best and our backups are beyond terrible".

I think we lucked out facing this O Line in week one, given our D Line woes..

Should be interesting to say the least.

12thMan1

Reaction score
C-Dub":unau9qev said:
E.C. Laloosh":unau9qev said:
FlyingGreg":unau9qev said:

I love ice cream, but sometimes I get tired of vanilla by the end of preseason. I like to switch it up with some chocolate during the season, and even some strawberry on crazy days. Maybe throw in some sprinkles and brownies too. Heck, even cookie dough sounds good.

Well that's nice but we're talking the potential win of the Seahawks on Sunday.

ivotuk

Reaction score
LOL! This comment cracked me up! :lol:

"I’d just like to see who came up with 3.5 points for the ‘hawks.’

After all, there’s a good chance Seattle will be playing their starters for a least a couple of quarters…"

Hawks46

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":t9tflkla said:
FlyingGreg":t9tflkla said:

I don't think we'll need much of a pass rush to be honest. I love this news; the only shot I gave Carolina is if they came out and ran the ball at our gimpy interior DL. Looks like they won't be able to do that, and Carolina only really has Smith and Olson (TE) as receivers. We've seen Sherman erase Smith before, so if we take Olson out of the picture, Cam literally won't have anyone to throw to.

As MysterMatt alluded to, the best way to beat Newton is to keep him in the pocket and beat you with his arm. He has trouble with more than 2 read and isn't accurate. Their passing game is a MAJOR mismatch against our secondary. In Aros's fearless prediction thread, I said that if Carolina can't run the ball, it will look embarrassing on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised to for them to turn in another 195 yard performance.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
C-Dub":230h7w7j said:
E.C. Laloosh":230h7w7j said:
FlyingGreg":230h7w7j said:

Now see, that's the kind of talk that ends marriages ;)

Latest posts