Meanwhile Brady restructures again - Does Russ not see it

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3hyaenxy said:
some one here posted a link on another thread to a video of some seahawk insider that I don't know that said the "disagreement" began when Russell said that if he did restructure his contract that he would like to be in on the decision making of who they use the savings on? If doing so isn't going to bring him some better pass protection he isn't going to do it.

I don't believe the Hawk's need Russell's permission to do a Mahomes type roster bonus converted to signing bonus type of move.

I think Russell has like 10M of roster bonus left on his deal.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11sf5bsv said:
brimsalabim":11sf5bsv said:
some one here posted a link on another thread to a video of some seahawk insider that I don't know that said the "disagreement" began when Russell said that if he did restructure his contract that he would like to be in on the decision making of who they use the savings on? If doing so isn't going to bring him some better pass protection he isn't going to do it.

I don't believe the Hawk's need Russell's permission to do a Mahomes type roster bonus converted to signing bonus type of move.

I think Russell has like 10M of roster bonus left on his deal.

They dont need his permission per say but it is considered the right thing to talk to them first.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wizofwest":2my31d7u said:
What frustrates me is the argument that QB cap % is going up, it isn't the same as 10 years ago. Well it seems Tom has been hovering around 10% of the cap for a good while. His salary can go up because the overall historically continues to rise. With Russ making 17% of the overall cap, that is a huge disadvantage to the team. That 6-7% is a very solid offensive lineman he wants.
It is being reported that Mahomes is restructuring his contract. Saving 17M against the cap. Don't know how that impacts year to year, but I'm sure it helps.
If Russ is about winning and they can have a gentleman's agreement that if i re-structure this goes to an OLine player, I think we will be on our way to mending some fences a little bit.

However, to say there is a lack of trust in coaching is valid, and many of us have said it over the years. Case in point.

During the LOB prime years.

2013 Super Bowl win
2014 Lost Super Bowl - The entire defensive backfield was hurt then lost our top edge rusher. I give the D a pass and we still should've won that game.
2015 Lost in the divisional round 24-31 to Carolina....the LOB gave up 31 points in the first half...Unacceptable for an historic defense. We gave up 31 points in the first half while the offense through 0 on the board. That is horrible and a coaching issue.
2016 Lost in the divisional round 20-36. Another brutal beatdown of our legendary defense. I mean giving up 36 points with our defense is poor coaching and/or execution. But unacceptable either way.

So the valid issue is the coaching staff through the years has not gotten the team prepared when it matters most.
Umm your memory is off..Russ threw a pick 6 and had another interception
which led to a Panther TD..You blame the LOB and coaching but stroke Russ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%8 ... eahawks_24

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
“restructuring” does not mean “losing money. It is an open secret that most of these virtuous QBs that want to help the team by restructuring end up with a better financial deal. It’s not charity or taking one for the team.

Fade

Reaction score
All people should be taking from this is other teams are far more proactive in creating cap space for the upcoming season.

Brady isn't taking a pay cut, TB is just moving money into future years so they can be more competitive next year. The Seahawks could learn a thing or two from how other teams operate in this manner.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fade":2r56givv said:
All people should be taking from this is other teams are far more proactive in creating cap space for the upcoming season.

Brady isn't taking a pay cut, TB is just moving money into future years so they can be more competitive next year. The Seahawks could learn a thing or two from how other teams operate in this manner.
I'm amazed that you think the Seahawks should learn how to be more short minded given how consistently they have erred in that direction:
- not taking advantage of the comp pick system in order to sign FAs early
- prioritizing veterans over youth in free agency
- high profile veteran trades over playing existing youth
- trading draft pick for short term rental players
- doing these very restructures with Baldwin and Russ in 2017 - the one year they missed the playoffs

If they have erred it's by trying to win too hard every year and not putting enough weight into the longer term picture. These restructures and especially the new void year trend are bad for season ticket holders.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of you are hilarious.

You do know that Wilson is a bargain right now? Right?

Go look at what the market for QBs is. What star QBs get and what a reasonable replacement starter will cost you.

Then look at what Wilson makes now.

Will he be expensive later? Sure.

But right now he is a bargain. Another reason even jockeying to trade him is terminally stupid (again put Pete in a home and get a real coach please).

Still not clear why Wilson should adjust his compensation agreement so the team can make financial moves he has no say in, or at least no determining say.

But the whole 'Wilson is too expensive' argument is funny when you look at just how dependent on Wilson our entire plan to put up wins is.

This isn't Wilson's problem, this is the FO's. Wilson will play here and do fine or elsewhere and do better. There is no reason for him to cede ground at all. We had money at the start of the season, look at what we spent it on. It isn't the cap space that is the problem, it is the use of cap space we are struggling with.

John63

Reaction score
summesm":1jmpsrwj said:
Patrick Mahomes just restructured his also saving Chiefs 17M on cap

And guess what Wilsin has before too. And again as it occurs the team has not asked?

Throwdown

Reaction score
John63":3mvbzuw8 said:
summesm":3mvbzuw8 said:

And guess what Wilsin has before too. And again as it occurs the team has not asked?

He hasn’t really been approachable this off season as he’s been too busy crying and giving lists of teams he’d rather be with.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
And that’s the elephant in the room, the Hawks don’t want to go that route imho. The rest of Russ’s contract becomes fully guaranteed and his future cap hits become more detrimental to moving on at a later date.

As for Brady, he could ask for the moon and get it. He helped his team and teammates big time, again.

chris98251

Reaction score
Restructure is something most QB's don't mind doing, either they get payouts of Bonus money or years added and a payout again in those years.

Guess what in a time where a QB is in the middle of his peak years he can do this three or 4 times and that money will end up being guaranteed.

If he retires he has a nest egg owed in some sort of payout that is forecasted on a teams books also as part of a restructure.

toffee

Reaction score
James in PA":grul6amd said:
Forget rings. Maybe Russ wants his “legacy” to be that someday he and Ciara will have a higher net worth than Tom and Gisele. But he has some catching up to do in that department as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am.wondering out loud, in their respected career, between Ciara and Gisele, who is or has been more successful?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

godawg

Reaction score
When Russ stopped saying "Go Hawks!" after his press conferences I saw that in his mind he was bigger than the team. Brady and Mahomes are restructuring, what about Russ?

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":3ev4jfym said:

The Bucs know they are going to suck in 2 years when Brady hangs it up so just accepting that fact to move the check down the line is easy. If Seattle did the same thing they would be paying Russell Wilson 50 million 2022. You think he's complaining about the OL now?

toffee

Reaction score
getnasty":1szpfvzl said:
Fade":1szpfvzl said:

The Bucs know they are going to suck in 2 years when Brady hangs it up so just accepting that fact to move the check down the line is easy. If Seattle did the same thing they would be paying Russell Wilson 50 million 2022. You think he's complaining about teams now?
Nailed it.

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":3lb1u555 said:
getnasty":3lb1u555 said:
Fade":3lb1u555 said:

The Bucs know they are going to suck in 2 years when Brady hangs it up so just accepting that fact to move the check down the line is easy. If Seattle did the same thing they would be paying Russell Wilson 50 million 2022. You think he's complaining about teams now?
Nailed it.

Mahomes is also reworking his deal. Don't think they plan on sucking anytime soon.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
summesm":2isnuwak said:

Which apparently they did by taking advantage of the fact that even in 2021, Mahmoes is still playing on the option year of his rookie contract, allowing them to turn his roster bonus into a signing bonus. Mahomes still got his money this year.

Latest posts