Meanwhile Brady restructures again - Does Russ not see it

xray

Reaction score
If Wilson really wants out of Seattle , we shouldn't hold our collective breaths waiting for him to lend a helping hand to the Hawks organization . IMO

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think Russ saw the FO waste millions last year on bottom tier O line talent and washed up tight ends and he is tired of this approach. So why would he then cut his salary for more of the same moves. Thats why he wants some say in personell. I would too. The free agent acquistions for this team have not been good in a while.

sutz

Reaction score
Y'all realize that when they do these restructures, that salary money turns into bonus money, right? Bonus money is spread out over several years for the cap, but if the player leaves all the money comes due against the cap, immediately. That's what we're facing now, Russ's last restructure put money into his bonus account, and if we trade or cut him that's where that 39 mill cap hit comes from y'all been hearing about. They can wait til after Jun 1 and split that in half over two years, but that's still a ton of cap lost to the dead account.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2nsc6g1b said:
I think Russ saw the FO waste millions last year on bottom tier O line talent and washed up tight ends and he is tired of this approach. So why would he then cut his salary for more of the same moves. Thats why he wants some say in personell. I would too. The free agent acquistions for this team have not been good in a while.

It is always refreshing to read a post that shows someone gets it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1zyvf53r said:

RW didn't mind that they signed a washed up TE last season - https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/se...on-has-incredible-reaction-to-greg-olsen-news. Maybe now he may have different thoughts but his initial reaction after the signing was quite positive.

keasley45

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1nxcnsqn said:

Do you think Russ was opposed to bringing in Greg Olson? This is the same Russel Wilson that was lobbying to bring in the dumpster fire of off the field BS, A Brown. I'm sure he would have been happy to break the bank and also wouldn't be surprised if it isn't part of his resentment toward the FO for 'nit listening' after watching TB with AB in the Super Bowl.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Russ could restructure again and probably would if he could have some input. I wonder if the FO would dare ask him to though with how fragile the relationship is right now.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
What was Russ supposed to say about Olsen? You think he is going to be anything but positive? Clearly he is frustrated with our continued cheap spending on o line. Spending millions on terrible players NO ONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE WANTED!
Thats why he wants some say.

We spent about 74 million last year on free agents and got bupkiss out of them. It was a horrible job by the FO. This is nothing new. When Pete and John came in they made some great signings. Since then not so much. We could have signed top tier guys for the same amount we threw at multiple guys who are not good at their job. At least not at the NFL level.

EDit:
BY the way I felt this way about our signings this offseason. this isn't looking back and hating it. I was looking at all the signings they made on the line and the millions they paid for what was known to be washed up poor players wondering why the heck they didn't just sign Jack Conklin or someone good at their job.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Oh look it's this thread again. Don't even have to read it to know what big brain responses will be posted.

keasley45

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1iukw99m said:
What was Russ supposed to say about Olsen? You think he is going to be anything but positive? Clearly he is frustrated with our continued cheap spending on o line. Spending millions on terrible players NO ONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE WANTED!

We spent about 74 million last year on free agents and got bupkiss out of them. It was a horrible job by the FO. This is nothing new. When Pete and John came in they made some great signings. Since then not so much. We could have signed top tier guys for the same amount we threw at multiple guys who are not good at their job. At least not at the NFL level.

EDit:
BY the way I felt this way about our signings this offseason. this isn't looking back and hating it. I was looking at all the signings they made on the line and the millions they paid for what was known to be washed up poor players wondering why the heck they didn't just sign Jack Conklin or someone good at their job.

I guess my point was what makes you think Russ wasn't the one driving the signing of Olson, in the same way he was lobbying for Brown.

And why the assumption that Russel is going to have the all world scouting ability that would have allowed him to see the failure that Finney ended up being? It's not like there's one shred of evidence to argue that his 'input' woukd tangibly change a thing. Again, he lobbied all season for Antonio Brown. At the time I was thinking to myself he was bat$h¡t crazy and couldn't figure out if he was just joking or serious. Can't imagine if that's the jufgememt he brings that it would all of a sudden turn our offseason signings into home runs. Sure, russ shouldn't be left out of the process, but this pretend world that assumes his participation all of a sudden makes us markedly more successful is... entertaining.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
keasley45":15mfzs0n said:
Natethegreat":15mfzs0n said:

EDit:

I guess my point was what makes you think Russ wasn't the one driving the signing of Olson, in the same way he was lobbying for Brown.

And why the assumption that Russel is going to have the all world scouting ability that would have allowed him to see the failure that Finney ended up being? It's not like there's one shred of evidence to argue that his 'input' woukd tangibly change a thing. Again, he lobbied all season for Antonio Brown. At the time I was thinking to myself he was bat$h¡t crazy and couldn't figure out if he was just joking or serious. Can't imagine if that's the jufgememt he brings that it would all of a sudden turn our offseason signings into home runs. Sure, russ shouldn't be left out of the process, but this pretend world that assumes his participation all of a sudden makes us markedly more successful is... entertaining.
My guess is he wants them to quit spending money on multiple cheap O lineman that are bad at their job and go out and get the Jack Conklins of the world who are actually good at their job and known to be so.
I don't think Russ wants input on the next CB or free safety they sign etc. He is concerned about the beatings he is taking each and every week from a porous line that the FO has failed to fix in the last 8 9 years.
With the exception of left tackle this line is pretty bad. Our right tackle spot has been HORRENDOUS for years. I bet Russ is tired of it seeing as he came out and said so on the Dan Patrick show.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3a2ks8xw said:
With the exception of left tackle this line is pretty bad. Our right tackle spot has been HORRENDOUS for years.
I suppose "pretty bad" can be relative but it doesn't fit how our line played last season at all.

Brandon Shell was quite good last year in my view and that of many others. He had a 79.3 pass protection grade from PFF going into the Jets matchup and a 2020 OTC valuation of $9.1m despite his paltry $3.4m cap hit. His overall grade ended up at 72.1 after finishing out the season on a bad ankle.

Damien Lewis also looked great and finished with a 70.2 overall grade as a rookie. He had too many penalties and those do need to come down, but he still made PFF's all rookie team last season. His emergency start at center was extremely clutch given he had never played the position and managed to do well vs. Arizona anyway.

Pocic was completely bullied by Aaron Donald but that happens to everybody. He held up pretty well against other teams and still only allowed 2 sacks on the season. I don't include him as an asset right now because he is a UFA, but if they do bring him back as part of a competition at OC then there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. He outplayed his contract last season by 400% according to OTC's valuation.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
AgentDib":14bb73oa said:
Natethegreat":14bb73oa said:
With the exception of left tackle this line is pretty bad. Our right tackle spot has been HORRENDOUS for years.
I suppose "pretty bad" can be relative but it doesn't fit how our line played last season at all.

Brandon Shell was quite good last year in my view and that of many others. He had a 79.3 pass protection grade from PFF going into the Jets matchup and a 2020 OTC valuation of $9.1m despite his paltry $3.4m cap hit. His overall grade ended up at 72.1 after finishing out the season on a bad ankle.

Damien Lewis also looked great and finished with a 70.2 overall grade as a rookie. He had too many penalties and those do need to come down, but he still made PFF's all rookie team last season. His emergency start at center was extremely clutch given he had never played the position and managed to do well vs. Arizona anyway.

Pocic was completely bullied by Aaron Donald but that happens to everybody. He held up pretty well against other teams and still only allowed 2 sacks on the season. I don't include him as an asset right now because he is a UFA, but if they do bring him back as part of a competition at OC then there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. He outplayed his contract last season by 400% according to OTC's valuation.
Jack Conklin graded out 84.3 over all and Shell was the best performance we have gotten in a while at RT (Ifedi was awful) and Shell wasn't great at Buffalo so we will see if his strong first half of football holds up over time. His second half wasn't great.
Edit:
I notice you didn't bring up Iupati (injured all year again), Chance Warmack, B.J.Finney, Cedrick Ogbuehi, and Greg Olson, all were wasted money.
Thats a lot of swinging and missing in my book.

hinton

Reaction score
Natethegreat":af1n89vs said:
AgentDib":af1n89vs said:
Natethegreat":af1n89vs said:

Jack Conklin graded out 84.3 over all and Shell was the best performance we have gotten in a while at RT (Ifedi was awful) and Shell wasn't great at Buffalo so we will see if his strong first half of football holds up over time. His second half wasn't great.
Edit:
I notice you didn't bring up Iupati (injured all year again), Chance Warmack, B.J.Finney, Cedrick Ogbuehi, and Greg Olson, all were wasted money.

Russ wanted Olsen badly and the team went out and got him. Russ also lobbied hard for Antonio Brown to sign here too.

If Russ gets more say over personnel that would worry me, a lot.

Best thing Russ can do is work hard with Shane Waldren all off-season and come up with an offensive scheme to his strengths. Let the FO build the squad.

John63

Reaction score
hinton":39ugmes1 said:
Natethegreat":39ugmes1 said:
AgentDib":39ugmes1 said:
Natethegreat":39ugmes1 said:

Edit:

Russ wanted Olsen badly and the team went out and got him. Russ also lobbied hard for Antonio Brown to sign here too.

If Russ gets more say over personnel that would worry me, a lot.

Best thing Russ can do is work hard with Shane Waldren all off-season and come up with an offensive scheme to his strengths. Let the FO build the squad.

Ahh were did you see Russ wanted olsen and pushed for it. He did want Brown PC said no. Having more say and always getting your way are 2 different things.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1gjub8ip said:
Russ could restructure again and probably would if he could have some input. I wonder if the FO would dare ask him to though with how fragile the relationship is right now.

Isn’t that the main point of this thread. The hawks FO is not using the automatic cap relief built into Russ’s contract and Russ’s agent has gone ballistic.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Russ wanting to bring Brown in (I did not want that) but at least he showed he can still play this year. I don't know of any push by Russ to bring Olsen in.
Pete has always tried bringing in TE's since he first arrived. I doubt that was a Russ thing.

Edit: just as an aside I would love if they brought in Johnu Smith this year. Guy is still young, very athletic and can block. I am betting they won't want to pay him what he will want though.

SwissCheese77

Reaction score
To my knowledge, most contracts are written so the team can restructure base salary into signing bonus at any time without needing player approval. I would assume Russ has a similar provision in his contract.

This is up to the team, and Schneider has shown to be pretty reluctant to go this route. It's probably part of the "win forever" motto.

Latest posts