Metcalf wide open on the pick six

Slick

Reaction score
I was wide open too - in the 2nd row of the stadium. But for altogether different, nefarious, purposes.

kmeleon

Reaction score
He was bound for a pick anytime now. 200+ attempts with no picks.

TreeRon

Reaction score
However 50% chance Metcalf would have muffed the catch

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Russ was under duress that play, like most of the game.

Fertilizer occurs.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
That's Brandon Carr either getting beat, or playing trail and Thomas just knew the playcall and ignored the backside over the top coverage entirely.

My guess is the Seahawks probably have been using a smash concept really heavily in that down and distance scenario and the Ravens knew that, so Peters just baited Wilson on it (you can see Wilson seeing single high man and hoping to go to Lockett, but then pulling back when Peterson bails off his coverage to cover it, which is how Peters baited him).

Whatever it is, Thomas knew what was coming, because he never took a single step to even consider helping out on either of the deep routes on either side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgrSHaOee0

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It looks like as his progression took him to Metcalf's side he registered the pressure coming from that direction and quickly looked for something on the opposite side of the field, rushing the pass to what appeared to be an open receiver before fully registering what was occurring over there. As mentioned before, it looked like he had better options right in front of him and may also have been able to run for it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Wilson never even looks to the back side of the play.

Thomas knew they'd be staying front side on that play.

The story of that play (it seems) is Peters knowing the Seahawks would be running a smash concept, messing up Wilson's correct read for the coverage (Cover 1), and baiting Wilson into throwing it Brown, which he was ready for.

Still doesn't explain Thomas ignoring both deep routes. Really the only explanation for that is the Ravens prepped for this play, and Peters was baiting by play design rather than freestyling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I assume most pick sixes are a gross mis-reading of the defense on the quarterback's part.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Popeyejones":j0b0xwud said:

The story of that play (it seems) is Peters knowing the Seahawks would be running a smash concept, messing up Wilson's correct read for the coverage (Cover 1), and baiting Wilson into throwing it Brown, which he was ready for.

Still doesn't explain Thomas ignoring both deep routes. Really the only explanation for that is the Ravens prepped for this play, and Peters was baiting by play design rather than freestyling.

At 6 seconds in the video you posted he starts to turn his head to the back side and quickly snaps it back around. Maybe it was just a head fake, but it looks more to me like he picked up the pile being pushed toward him snapped his head back, picked up Judon breaking free from his blocker and rushed the pass.

Though the rest of what you said makes complete sense and contradicts what I am saying.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rcs5nkh0 said:
I assume most pick sixes are a gross mis-reading of the defense on the quarterback's part.

What's weird about though is that Wilson didn't misread the coverage.

His pre-snap read was correct. He identified Cover 1, held Thomas with his eyes, and then went to go for the corner route on the smash concept.

He then also correctly read that Peters was bailing out like it was cover 3, held up, and made the correct read again to go to Brown, which is exactly what he should do giving that Peters was bailing to cover the corner route.

That's Wilson having the correct pre-snap read, and then correcting to the correct post-snap read after seeing what the defense was showing.

You unfortunately can't see Peters through the whole play from the TV angle, but my guess is he bails off the corner to bait for the pick and the whole thing was a scam by design.

That's the only way to explain both what Peters was doing and what Thomas was doing.

Take it from a 9ers fan :lol: : Predictable situational play calling by Schotty is likely WAY MORE to blame for Wilson first INT of the year than Wilson is, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JustTheTip":12or9umt said:
Popeyejones":12or9umt said:

At 6 seconds in the video you posted he starts to turn his head to the back side and quickly snaps it back around. Maybe it was just a head fake, but it looks more to me like he picked up the pile being pushed toward him snapped his head back, picked up Judon breaking free from his blocker and rushed the pass.

Though the rest of what you said makes complete sense and contradicts what I am saying.

Ah, gotcha, and missed that. There's definitely a weird little look off there after he cancels on the first read. Dunno if it's him thinking about going backside or looking to see if there's a running lane to rush for the first down on the backside. Good point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1whktmhf said:
Take it from a 9ers fan :lol: : Predictable situational play calling by Schotty is likely WAY MORE to blame for Wilson first INT of the year than Wilson is, IMO.

If this was the case Russell would have 2-3 picks a game.

Russell had pressure in his face the entire game, and that play was no different. He rushed a quick throw and Peters jumped it. End of story.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":99xqkfd5 said:
Popeyejones":99xqkfd5 said:

That's like saying the Pats couldn't have known the play call in the SB because Wilson wasn't getting picked off over and over again all year. The statement just doesn't make any sense.

Sgt. Largent":99xqkfd5 said:
Russell had pressure in his face the entire game, and that play was no different. He rushed a quick throw and Peters jumped it. End of story.

It was a five man rush and he didn't have any pressure at all on that play. He was a little jumpy because he was in the pocket and he has always been a little jumpy in the pocket, but pressure was a non-issue. He didn't have to move off his spot at all.

The throw is rushed because he's jumpy in the pocket if his first read isn't there, and he was confused AF because his read WAS there but Peters was baiting him.

D

DomeHawk

Popeyejones":18yd8zj3 said:
Sgt. Largent":18yd8zj3 said:

What's weird about though is that Wilson didn't misread the coverage.

His pre-snap read was correct. He identified Cover 1, held Thomas with his eyes, and then went to go for the corner route on the smash concept.

He then also correctly read that Peters was bailing out like it was cover 3, held up, and made the correct read again to go to Brown, which is exactly what he should do giving that Peters was bailing to cover the corner route.

That's Wilson having the correct pre-snap read, and then correcting to the correct post-snap read after seeing what the defense was showing.

You unfortunately can't see Peters through the whole play from the TV angle, but my guess is he bails off the corner to bait for the pick and the whole thing was a scam by design.

That's the only way to explain both what Peters was doing and what Thomas was doing.

Good post and yes, Peters was baiting, it's what he does. He was several yds off the receiver and got a really good jump. The pass didn't look like it had the velocity that his passes usually have either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":27xhhvvs said:
Sgt. Largent":27xhhvvs said:
Popeyejones":27xhhvvs said:

That's like saying the Pats couldn't have known the play call in the SB because Wilson wasn't getting picked off over and over again all year. The statement just doesn't make any sense.

Sgt. Largent":27xhhvvs said:

It was a five man rush and he didn't have any pressure at all on that play. He was a little jumpy because he was in the pocket and he has always been a little jumpy in the pocket, but pressure was a non-issue. He didn't have to move off his spot at all.

The throw is rushed because he's jumpy in the pocket if his first read isn't there, and he was confused AF because his first read WAS there but Peters was toying with him.

So you're agreeing with me. Russell was jumpy because of having pressure in his face by the Raven's front seven and Peters jumped it.

I mean, I don't exactly love Schotty's playcalling. But blaming it on the playcall is ridiculous to me. It's Russell's job every play to make the right read and get the ball out to the correct receiver.

He picked the wrong one, obviously.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h7kx53m4 said:
Popeyejones":h7kx53m4 said:
Popeyejones":h7kx53m4 said:

The throw is rushed because he's jumpy in the pocket if his first read isn't there, and he was confused AF because his first read WAS there but Peters was toying with him.

So you're agreeing with me. Russell was jumpy because of having pressure in his face by the Raven's front seven and Peters jumped it.

I mean, I don't exactly love Schotty's playcalling. But blaming it on the playcall is ridiculous to me. It's Russell's job every play to make the right read and get the ball out to the correct receiver.

He picked the wrong one, obviously.

I'm not agreeing with you for two reasons:

(1) The blitz was picked up well and Wilson wasn't under pressure on that play. He had a big clean pocket he was throwing out of.

(2) What the Ravens are doing doesn't make any sense if they didn't know what the playcall was.

If Peters doesn't know they're going to be running a smash concept he either forgot what his coverage was and then remembered it again halfway through the play, or he was baiting Wilson.

If Thomas doesn't know what Peters is going to be doing what he's doing REALLY doesn't make any sense. Thomas is single high in a cover 1 and ignoring both deep routes. Huh?!?!? Instead he's just sitting on the TE's whip route to make sure it's still smothered even if it works.

That ONLY makes sense if he's doing that because he knows what Peters will be doing, and is taking away the only other read Wilson is going to make if he doesn't take Peters' bait and go where he's supposed to go on the smash concept given that Peters bails.

EDIT: Also worth saying is that DK is running a 9 on the backside PURELY to keep Thomas honest so that he can't sit on the whip or go over to erase the corner on the smash. Thomas just *entirely* ignores it though, which is really just further evidence that the Ravens were ready for this play call in this situation.

Latest posts