Metcalf wide open on the pick six

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
As someone that is critical of the OC more than most, the pick six was 100% on Russ.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f9jaaa7 said:
Popeyejones":1f9jaaa7 said:
Take it from a 9ers fan :lol: : Predictable situational play calling by Schotty is likely WAY MORE to blame for Wilson first INT of the year than Wilson is, IMO.

If this was the case Russell would have 2-3 picks a game.

Russell had pressure in his face the entire game, and that play was no different. He rushed a quick throw and Peters jumped it. End of story.

Can we add that our receiver didn't come back to the ball?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2z0khfxu said:
That ONLY makes sense if he's doing that because he knows what Peters will be doing, and is taking away the only other read Wilson is going to make if he doesn't take Peters' bait and go where he's supposed to go on the smash concept given that Peters bails..

Peters knew what Russell was doing because Russell threw the ball late as the pocket was collapsing and the route was already over, and Peters being a veteran knew that, so he jumped it.

You're projecting your opinion of Schotty's playcalling onto one play and blaming the wrong person. It was 90% on Russell and 10% on Brown for not doing a better job of coming back to the ball and at least blocking out and contesting Peters from getting to it.

But from the replays, even Brown looks surprised the ball came to him.

northseahawk

Reaction score
He had many players open on that play. I think he couldn't decide to run or pass and became indecisive.

Also, good things never happen when Brown is at the center of the play. He is crap!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ffftjvp said:
Popeyejones":1ffftjvp said:
That ONLY makes sense if he's doing that because he knows what Peters will be doing, and is taking away the only other read Wilson is going to make if he doesn't take Peters' bait and go where he's supposed to go on the smash concept given that Peters bails..

Peters knew what Russell was doing because Russell threw the ball late as the pocket was collapsing and the route was already over, and Peters being a veteran knew that, so he jumped it.

You're projecting your opinion of Schotty's playcalling onto one play and blaming the wrong person. It was 90% on Russell and 10% on Brown for not doing a better job of coming back to the ball and at least blocking out and contesting Peters from getting to it.

My only issue with Scotty's playcalling has been his unwillingness to pass the ball.

With TV angles I wouldn't even be able to evaluate the creativity of his pass game if I wanted to, and I'm DEFINITELY not charting Seahawks plays and looking for tendencies and tendency breakers. :lol:

It's entirely reasonable for you and I to see different things happening on this play without either one of us being biased or blind. :2thumbs:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
When a QB takes a lot of hits it speeds up their internal clock. Russell may not have been sacked a lot but he probably took the most hits he has all season in this game.

The Ravens got in his head a bit. Russ respects Earl’s hawking skills, which made him more hesitant than usual. Peters may not be a shut down corner but the way the Ravens are using him is perfect. It allows Peters to freelance a little more.

Russ had way too much air under that throw. Not sure if it was the wind, rain, whatever. But he needed to either strong arm it to that side or he needed to reset and be willing to take the sack if necessary. If anything, this was the perfect play to take a sack and go for the big play. Who could keep up with Metcalf?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2oj1r3cw said:
Sgt. Largent":2oj1r3cw said:
Popeyejones":2oj1r3cw said:

My only issue with Scotty's playcalling has been his unwillingness to pass the ball.

With TV angles I wouldn't even be able to evaluate the creativity of his pass game if I wanted to, and I'm DEFINITELY not charting Seahawks plays and looking for tendencies and tendency breakers. :lol:

It's entirely reasonable for you and I to see different things happening on this play without either one of us being biased or blind. :2thumbs:

I believe our pass to run ratio yesterday was 60/40, and overall this year is over 50/50.

So yeah, I'm not defending Schotty. IMO he's at the bottom half of the league for O-coordinators. But he's been calling plenty of pass plays this year. Good pass plays? Err, that's another discussion.........it's also the cheapest Monday morning QB criticism.

Win? Yah we love Russell he's the MVP!!!
Lose? Wow Schotty's a bad coordinator.

Just like we did with Bevell. Never any love for the coordinators after a loss, and too much absolving our QB. That pick was on Russell, and he'd be the first one to admit it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tjc2bfhp said:
That pick was on Russell, and he'd be the first one to admit it.

No question. Just a bad play. It happens. Just wish his first pick of the year wasn't a pick six. Ugh.

Then again, just glad it wasn't Earl!

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jr3gqsau said:
Popeyejones":jr3gqsau said:
Sgt. Largent":jr3gqsau said:
Popeyejones":jr3gqsau said:

I believe our pass to run ratio yesterday was 60/40, and overall this year is over 50/50.

So yeah, I'm not defending Schotty. IMO he's at the bottom half of the league for O-coordinators. But he's been calling plenty of pass plays this year. Good pass plays? Err, that's another discussion.........it's also the cheapest Monday morning QB criticism.

Win? Yah we love Russell he's the MVP!!!
Lose? Wow Schotty's a bad coordinator.

Just like we did with Bevell. Never any love for the coordinators after a loss, and too much absolving our QB. That pick was on Russell, and he'd be the first one to admit it.

He did admit it, say he was sorry and the team said its okay we let you down when you needed us. FYI not everyone is picking on the OC. To me this was a total team loss and that includes coaches. Offense could not do anything, defense was bad, ST was bad, coaching decisions was bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this team doesn't have enough talent overall for him to have a bad game. Over 200 passes w/out a pick, it's gonna' happen. It was a crap throw, we know it and he knows it. On to Atlanta, I know Russ will use it as motivation and the entire team will after that crap show on Sunday.
On a side note, Jackson could be the best running QB in the history of the game by the time he is done. Dude is ridiculous.