Mina Kimes ranks Pete Carroll at #10 among coaches

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I don't think you understand what biased opinions are. His entire post was his biased opinion of the coaches he listed.

I didnt see anywhere where he said he liked a certain coach more than another. He based his unbiased list upon what he thought each coach brought to the table. I saw no favoritism or bias anywhere.

NJlargent

Reaction score
In fairness Pederson has won a SB and then led Jax to a playoff win all since we won our last playoff game. So there's that.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I tend to weigh the postseason more than some so PC has fallen down my list quite a ways. Tired of going to the prom and not getting past the coat check.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I tend to weigh the postseason more than some so PC has fallen down my list quite a ways. Tired of going to the prom and not getting past the coat check.
This is why I'm thinking #10 is generous. I don't like 8-9
/9-8 one and done rinse and repeat seasons for multiple years either be terrible or good middle ground purgatory is the worst NFL hell you can be in.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
She ranks Andy Reid at number 1 and Kyle Shanahan is number 2, but Pete is number 10.

Sure, Little Shanny in the Big Hat has had a loaded roster, but how many coaches could win as many Super Bowls as that guy has won for the Gold Diggers? And that's without considering his record of title-winning runs as an offensive coördinator with the Texans, Washington, Cleveland, and Atlanta. Heck, without the remarkable strategic and tactical mastery shown by Little Shanny in the Big Hat in Super Bowl LI, the result could easily have been completely different. And the way this guy develops players! He contributed so much to the trajectory of RGIII's career. Without the Shanahans (yes, some of the credit has to go to Daddy Shanahan), especially in the playoff game against the Seahawks after the 2012 season, RGIII's career might have been completely different.

We've got a thread about overrated music. Maybe it's time for one on overrated NFL head coaches.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
This is why I'm thinking #10 is generous. I don't like 8-9
/9-8 one and done rinse and repeat seasons for multiple years either be terrible or good middle ground purgatory is the worst NFL hell you can be in.

Pretty sure there are far worse purgatories. Like 30 year playoff droughts. Or missing on 1st round QBs over and over and over again.

I’d take the Erickson years over anything the Browns have faced. A wee bit of hope is better than no hope.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Pretty sure there are far worse purgatories. Like 30 year playoff droughts. Or missing on 1st round QBs over and over and over again.

I’d take the Erickson years over anything the Browns have faced. A wee bit of hope is better than no hope.
bro there's point making, then there's wash your mouth out with a bar of soap talk

seahawks08

Reaction score
I feel great coaches are defined in multiple dimensions, like Superbowl wins, philosophies, culture, buyin, scheming, putting together a great coaching staff and making a difference in the community. Current coaches also go across established years of running a franchise or young, partially proven and probably on the rise. The challenge with this multi dimensional ranking has either a very small sample or it goes across decades of coaching. Sean Payton ideally shouldn’t be ranked yet as he just got active after taking a break. He never was able to turn around the franchise past playoff’s after his Superbowl run. So the question is, there has to be a bias of likability added based on personal opinion. I personally would rank Pete higher given the number of years he has been in the league. It’s a lifetime of contributions compared to McVay.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Sorry Fade, but your list becomes invalid that second you put McVay number one. Absolute media creation. His first few years he barely spoke to the defense, Wade Phillips developed the back bone of that team. In both the Super Bowl they won and the Superbowl they lost, the defense was great, and McVay's vaunted offense was beyond bad. Three points in a Super Bowl, three??? QB developer, really? Looks more like he needed an experienced vet to actually finish the job and even then, barely. I don't know if Goff left LA or escaped it. He is thriving under the knee biter. If you want to call McVay a top OC, great, do so, but head coach?? That's a joke.

Mase

Mad Dog

Reaction score
McVay has a winning record against Pete. So there’s that.

Most coaches can be successful if you give them a QB. In fact most coaches need a stud QB to have a chance at success. Even the few coaches that won a SB with a mediocre QB got stud performance from them in the playoffs.

Pete made the playoffs with a terrible D and a castoff QB. Not many guys could work that miracle. I gotta put him higher. Especially since so many “higher ranked” coaches haven’t been heading teams long enough to go through a cycle of good and bad rosters.

Fade

Reaction score
-- Sorry Fade, but your list becomes invalid that second you put McVay number one. Absolute media creation. His first few years he barely spoke to the defense, Wade Phillips developed the back bone of that team. In both the Super Bowl they won and the Superbowl they lost, the defense was great, and McVay's vaunted offense was beyond bad. Three points in a Super Bowl, three??? QB developer, really? Looks more like he needed an experienced vet to actually finish the job and even then, barely. I don't know if Goff left LA or escaped it. He is thriving under the knee biter. If you want to call McVay a top OC, great, do so, but head coach?? That's a joke.

Mase
Wade Phillips got fired due to the defense underperforming, hasn't had a job since, even though he has tweeted that he still wants to coach.

Brandon Staley came in and transformed their defense, and then got HC job with the Chargers because of how well he did.

Then won the Superbowl with Raheem Morris as his DC. That's 3 DCs in 3 years.

McVay almost beat Pete with no team last year. If they were to switch sidelines, McVay blows Pete out. Sorry.

And for the peanut gallery, it is not a lifetime achievement award list. Pete would be top 5 comfortably if that were the criteria. It's where they are at now, and going forward.

Kyle Shanahan is the most overrated coach in the league, with Tomlin being #2.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wade Phillips got fired due to the defense underperforming, hasn't had a job since, even though he has tweeted that he still wants to coach.

Brandon Staley came in and transformed their defense, and then got HC job with the Chargers because of how well he did.

Then won the Superbowl with Raheem Morris as his DC. That's 3 DCs in 3 years.

McVay almost beat Pete with no team last year. If they were to switch sidelines, McVay blows Pete out. Sorry.

And for the peanut gallery, it is not a lifetime achievement award list. Pete would be top 5 comfortably if that were the criteria. It's where they are at now, and going forward.

Kyle Shanahan is the most overrated coach in the league, with Tomlin being #2.
If you think Kyle S is overrated (I agree, he is) then McVay is too. He's done about the same for the Rams as Shanny has for 49ers. They both made their living off of very good defenses. And in McVay's case off one defensive player - Aaron Donald. Without Donald, McVay wouldn't be close to sniffing a SB much less contending for it.

Fade

Reaction score
McVay has a winning record against Pete. So there’s that.

Most coaches can be successful if you give them a QB. In fact most coaches need a stud QB to have a chance at success. Even the few coaches that won a SB with a mediocre QB got stud performance from them in the playoffs.

Pete made the playoffs with a terrible D and a castoff QB. Not many guys could work that miracle. I gotta put him higher. Especially since so many “higher ranked” coaches haven’t been heading teams long enough to go through a cycle of good and bad rosters.
Pete built that terrible defense over many years of failed trades, free agents, and draft picks. While keeping his failed underlings in place at DC. And his cast-off QB played like a Pro-bowler.

Keeping Ken Norton at DC for four years, and following that up with Clint Hurtt is enough to expel him from the top 10. Those are simply horrible, self inflicted, terrible decisions, that undermine the entire program. Undoing do much good that Pete infact does.

Fade

Reaction score
If you think Kyle S is overrated (I agree, he is) then McVay is too. He's done about the same for the Rams as Shanny has for 49ers. They both made their living off of very good defenses. And in McVay's case off one defensive player - Aaron Donald. Without Donald, McVay wouldn't be close to sniffing a SB much less contending for it.
McVay knows how to manage a clock, use his timeouts effectively, manage his staff and players.

Shanahan is an OC doing an impression of a HC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McVay at #1? Now that's funny. How very Fade

Dude just won a SB two years ago, and is widely considered one of the most innovative coaches in modern football.

Kimes is an unabashed Hawks fan, so it's not a slight to Pete she put him at 10. Her list and reasoning seems to go along the more nuanced "innovators" of football, rather than just purely historical success.

Fade

Reaction score
Dude just won a SB two years ago, and is widely considered one of the most innovative coaches in modern football.

Kimes is an unabashed Hawks fan, so it's not a slight to Pete she put him at 10. Her list and reasoning seems to go along the more nuanced "innovators" of football, rather than just purely historical success.
Yes.

Tom Brady is the GOAT historically.

But if you were to rank him right now, and going forward, he wouldn't be top 10, he's old, and coming out of retirement presents added challenges.

This is how most rankings work.