Pete Carroll: Wasn't 'football people' who decided his fate

OLYhawks

Reaction score
My reaction was "Are you serious?" too, but for slightly different reasons:

1. It's so clearly isn't what was meant that the level misunderstanding is astounding
2. How do you get headed for half a day about a quote.
1. Proof read your ish so I don't have to reread, k, thnx. "Headed?"
2. You've commented just as much as I have on the subject soooo....
3. I commented that at like, 11am, therefore, that's not half of the day. You must be old and delusional like Petey. Gtfo.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So how was John able to explain his plan to "Non Football People," but Pete couldn't?
This is an unreliable extrapolation regarding who had what "plan." You do not know what John's plan was or in what way it was expressed.

For all we know, John could've had a similar view on the path forward and the decision to fire Pete was made due to fan sentiment. This isn't just a possible explanation, it may be the likely explanation given Vulcan's ownership M.O.

The conversation easily, easily could've been "Hey, after post-recap deliberation, we're firing Pete. Please give us your recommendations in the coming days for coaching interviews and we'll line them up. We'll discuss together on the final hiring decision."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
💯 💯 💯 Great post!

This is the day after and I cannot believe Carroll went this route. I've been...heated all morning thinking about this situation. Here we have Carroll preaching "protect the team" his whole tenure, only to throw them under the bus because he underachieved what he promised. He was given the keys to the whole shebang, and failed season after season. I honestly want to give him a good left to straighten out his nose for em!
Good lord, man. With this kind of fury, it feels like the anger might've been predestined and anything would've been twisted into a justification for it.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Good lord, man. With this kind of fury, it feels like the anger might've been predestined and anything would've been twisted into a justification for it.
How hard is to understand that Pete threw the team under the bus with his comments? Comments that he once led us, and his players to believe in for well over a decade, just to toss it all aside because he's bitter and old. Next man up! Unless it's him. Protect the team! Unless he's out. Pshhh

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
How hard is to understand that Pete threw the team under the bus with his comments? Comments that he once led us, and his players to believe in for well over a decade, just to toss it all aside because he's bitter and old. Next man up! Unless it's him. Protect the team! Unless he's out. Pshhh
The statement doesn't implicate literally anybody on the team in any way. What are you even talking about?

OLYhawks

Reaction score
The statement doesn't implicate literally anybody on the team in any way. What are you even talking about?
If you can't read between the lines and not understand how his comments directly implicated the team, well, I hope your boss, your leader, doesn't question their boss....on their way out.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If you can't read between the lines and not understand how his comments directly implicated the team, well, I hope your boss, your leader, doesn't question their boss....on their way out.
This isn't quite the comeback you think it is. It reads as if you're not wanting to go into detail because you know your point is weak, but you can't go back on it because you've made a spectacle of it.

Acknowledging the difficulty in detailing a detailed/nuanced plan to solve complex football issues to individuals who are relative laymen, unlike other football coaches, is not throwing the team under the bus. There is no way to arrive at this conclusion for anyone who isn't already determined to be upset with the dude.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
This isn't quite the comeback you think it is. It reads as if you're not wanting to go into detail because you know your point is weak, but you can't go back on it because you've made a spectacle of it.

Acknowledging the difficulty in detailing a detailed/nuanced plan to solve complex football issues to individuals who are relative laymen, unlike other football coaches, is not throwing the team under the bus. There is no way to arrive at this conclusion for anyone who isn't already determined to be upset with the dude.
Look at me, I'm malcontent, I mean maelstrom. I write a lot to try to prove my point in hopes it throws you off. Wtf you even talking about here? Ramble on much? Cause you were owned? Bye bye

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
This is an unreliable extrapolation regarding who had what "plan." You do not know what John's plan was or in what way it was expressed.

For all we know, John could've had a similar view on the path forward and the decision to fire Pete was made due to fan sentiment. This isn't just a possible explanation, it may be the likely explanation given Vulcan's ownership M.O.

The conversation easily, easily could've been "Hey, after post-recap deliberation, we're firing Pete. Please give us your recommendations in the coming days for coaching interviews and we'll line them up. We'll discuss together on the final hiring decision."
Actually Maelstrom, I have it on good word that Jody has people frequent .net and report back to her what we the fans want and seeing as how a lot of people were complaining about Pete, she had no choice but to act accordingly.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
????

Maelstrom is right though. Your points are pretty weak. Pete had a plan that he tried to explain to business minded people. It didn't work because they have differing perspectives. Doesn't mean that Pete's plan was the right one though.

Pete just had a 14 year run come to an end. He's not throwing the team under the bus. He's not stabbing anyone in the back. Cut him some slack.

It sure does kook like you need some T&A. Go have a roll in the hay. It solves alot of problems. It solves all the feels you are having now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Look at me, I'm malcontent, I mean maelstrom. I write a lot to try to prove my point in hopes it throws you off. Wtf you even talking about here? Ramble on much? Cause you were owned? Bye bye
It's literally 4 sentences.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Actually Maelstrom, I have it on good word that Jody has people frequent .net and report back to her what we the fans want and seeing as how a lot of people were complaining about Pete, she had no choice but to act accordingly.
Watch out, much like being unable to be a realist, his sense of sarcasm may be shot.
????

Maelstrom is right though. Your points are pretty weak. Pete had a plan that he tried to explain to business minded people. It didn't work because they have differing perspectives. Doesn't mean that Pete's plan was the right one though.

Pete just had a 14 year run come to an end. He's not throwing the team under the bus. He's not stabbing anyone in the back. Cut him some slack.

It sure does kook like you need some T&A. Go have a roll in the hay. It solves alot of problems. It solves all the feels you are having now.
Of course you'd side with that buffoon, you were owned too.
????

Of course you'd side with the buffoon with no real argument other than a longgg post making one think he knows what he's talking about.

Pete had a plan huh? Was that plan to have a putrid running d? A defense that put out the worst in tackling? What plan? Words is actually what you speak of, words, not action. He failed, PERIOD!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kind of proving Pete's point about comprehension gaps sometimes making communication difficult.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You see, this line of questioning kind of proves his point. Can we state that Ken's record is really one of abject failure? As fans doing a high level overview, sure. We can associate that with how we feel about the defense, but not a single person here is capable of going into a room with any of these dudes and understanding a lick of what they're saying.

The same can be said for the media.

The lack of full picture information we have leads us to conclusions that probably aren't entirely true. Is Ken Norton Jr. a bad coach? He appears to be one of the best linebacker coaches in the world and is respected to death by everyone he coached.

Carroll is right. The communication, comprehension, and information barrier that exists between professional coaches and media/fans makes it impossible to actually communicate in a way that can convince those laymen of anything.

Football fandom is just Dunning Kruger to the max, and Carroll is 1000000% right about that.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, which is my fault. Ken Norton Jr. was a great LB coach. Nobody is arguing that fact otherwise. He was a vital part of the Seahawks championship. That being said, like NFL head coaches, there are a lot of great positional coaches that couldn't make the leap to the next level.

The issue here is that Norton's record of abject failure was at the very position that he was hired at, DC, not LB coach. He put on a very poor display during his three years with the Raiders. That is where the mistake was made. Carroll thought he would be able to mentor him, turn him into a competent DC. That is the rub with Carroll at the end of the day. He didn't choose his coordinators wisely.

You're right about one thing, we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes. Carroll does know more than anyone on this board, he's the expert after all. Experts aren't always right though. Carroll is half right, yes the business people don't see the behind the scenes actions, what the lay person is able to see, however is the results.

Even the worst of NFL HC's could say the same thing and that Carroll did and still be technically correct.

For 7 years now, Seattles defense has been treading water. We threw tons of draft picks and capital at the defense and ended up with one of the NFL's worst units. Carroll can talk about the process all he wants, until he's blue in the face -- but in the end he wasn't able to field a competent unit. The man in charge of that process is Carroll.

Now, for the record -- I'm not saying that he is a bad coach, Carroll is most definitely not. Carroll was able to constantly get 8-9 wins even in his bad years. The problem is, the Seahawks have been stuck at this stage for years now. What's worse, is lately Carroll has been getting whopped by both Shannahan and McVay, our two biggest divisional rivals.

At this stage in Carroll's career, I think it was time to make a business decision. Given Carroll's age and the duration of his career he had one year left, with an optional second year. He was going to be the oldest coach in the NFL's history at the end of the 2024 season. A long term extension is out of the question at that age. Realistically I think it came down to this: Jody Allen and Vulcan's belief in Carroll's current trajectory within that two year span.

Now, obviously we both don't see eye to eye on that, I think you know my position on that last sentence. I do think this was the right time to fire him if you, the owner of the franchise don't believe Carroll is able to get anything serious going over the next two years given his age. It was the most successful period in Seahawks history, but nothing gold can stay.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
You see, this line of questioning kind of proves his point. Can we state that Ken's record is really one of abject failure? As fans doing a high level overview, sure. We can associate that with how we feel about the defense, but not a single person here is capable of going into a room with any of these dudes and understanding a lick of what they're saying.

The same can be said for the media.

The lack of full picture information we have leads us to conclusions that probably aren't entirely true. Is Ken Norton Jr. a bad coach? He appears to be one of the best linebacker coaches in the world and is respected to death by everyone he coached.

Carroll is right. The communication, comprehension, and information barrier that exists between professional coaches and media/fans makes it impossible to actually communicate in a way that can convince those laymen of anything.

Football fandom is just Dunning Kruger to the max, and Carroll is 1000000% right about that.
I fear JS might be the only thing standing in the way of Vulcan turning this into the NFLs version of the Trailblazers