New England Pass Defense is pretty good

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The key is that losing to Bill would not mean this new approach does not work.

Also, being in Seattle is not the advantage it usually is for obvious reasons.

Excited to see this but won't be devastated if Bill figures out some way to victimize Carroll given we have some pretty obvious weaknesses we likely won't have time to fix yet.

SE174

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pyf8sgc said:
Yes, this game is bad news for the let Russ cook crowd, pass D is NE's strength. The Pats lost what, 2-3 of their front seven with Covid opt outs?

So this is the game to ram it down their throats with Carson and Hyde and take shots on play action.

I never count out a Belichick coached team, he gets more out of nothing than any coach in NFL history, but we've always handled Newton, so barring crazy turnoevers this is a game we should win by 10 or more.

This.

Yeah, they have "Superman" :roll: , but Seattle is Cam's kryptonite. Gonna be fun to see how Adams impacts this game.

Hawks 27
Pats 17

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Yes, their D is legit. Last year Gilmore won DPOY he's the closest thing to a shut down corner there is in the league.

BBBUUUUTTTT

That team also got FAT last year off a tanking Miami team twice, a Josh Allen led Buffalo team and a Jets team that I think had Luke Falk starting one of the two games.....

So yes, their good, but I actually think last years Niners D was better maybe not stats wise but more talent.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SE174":2zg1990e said:
Sgt. Largent":2zg1990e said:
Yes, this game is bad news for the let Russ cook crowd, pass D is NE's strength. The Pats lost what, 2-3 of their front seven with Covid opt outs?

So this is the game to ram it down their throats with Carson and Hyde and take shots on play action.

I never count out a Belichick coached team, he gets more out of nothing than any coach in NFL history, but we've always handled Newton, so barring crazy turnoevers this is a game we should win by 10 or more.

This.

Yeah, they have "Superman" :roll: , but Seattle is Cam's kryptonite. Gonna be fun to see how Adams impacts this game.

Hawks 27
Pats 17

Pretty sure Cam beat us the last time he played us. Just saying.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":21mn6sfa said:
SE174":21mn6sfa said:
Sgt. Largent":21mn6sfa said:

This.

Hawks 27
Pats 17

Pretty sure Cam beat us the last time he played us. Just saying.

Seahawks 30
Cam Newtons 27

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 250car.htm

Just saying.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3kcd6lew said:
The key is that losing to Bill would not mean this new approach does not work.

Also, being in Seattle is not the advantage it usually is for obvious reasons.

Excited to see this but won't be devastated if Bill figures out some way to victimize Carroll given we have some pretty obvious weaknesses we likely won't have time to fix yet.

Pete and Russ have beaten BB a couple times already while with the Seahawks, and one game we lost--the one game we'd all trade for all the other wins, I'm sure--was still extremely close.

I don't care which approach is used as long as it brings a win. If it does, then the better coach probably won. If the game comes down to a turnover or fluke bounce, then the coaches are fairly evenly matched. Using hyperbole like "leagues ahead" is just rhetoric, and really isn't even true.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
TreeRon":9hm2r327 said:
If Gilmore's following DK around, who's watching our TEs?

Agreed . I think this could be a good game for Olson and Dissley.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im trying to remember the details. The last time we played them and won in NE, with Kam defending Gronk as time expired.

What were we up? Didn't Pete go for two to make it a 9 point game instead of 8? Trying to remember back.

CPHawk

Reaction score
94Smith":uo2qqoo3 said:
Number one pass defense last year

Didn't they lose a bunch of guys though, due to Covid?

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
CPHawk":2i0sp8vn said:
94Smith":2i0sp8vn said:

We lost a safety, Pat Chung, who's lost a step anyway. Also a couple of LB's, Van Noy and Hightower, which is more of a concern. Overall 4-5 new starters on D, but a stacked defensive backfield. The front 7 played well Sunday fwiw.

chris98251

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ql1eoq0 said:
CPHawk":1ql1eoq0 said:
94Smith":1ql1eoq0 said:

We lost a safety, Pat Chung, who's lost a step anyway. Also a couple of LB's, Van Noy and Hightower, which is more of a concern. Overall 4-5 new starters on D, but a stacked defensive backfield. The front 7 played well Sunday fwiw.

Fitz isn't Wilson, he is a shorter Pocket guy really, smart but limited. Wilsons scramble drills and running while looking down field can't be emulated by a Cam either, our receivers and Wilson are much better coordinated and a young secondary under Bill will stick to assignments and the handoffs for scrambles may create chaos.

We have three different style of backs, Thumper in Hyde, thumper one cut guy in Carson and a Homer a slasher more then a Thumper. Dallas is more a combination of One cut / Slasher that can run with limited power from what I have seen and all of them can catch.

I expect a bit of rotation and if someone gets hot to feed them and then hit TE's and The deep ball.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
chris98251":2dog9g2p said:
50yrpatsfan":2dog9g2p said:
CPHawk":2dog9g2p said:
94Smith":2dog9g2p said:

Fitz isn't Wilson, he is a shorter Pocket guy really, smart but limited. Wilsons scramble drills and running while looking down field can't be emulated by a Cam either, our receivers and Wilson are much better coordinated and a young secondary under Bill will stick to assignments and the handoffs for scrambles may create chaos.

We have three different style of backs, Thumper in Hyde, thumper one cut guy in Carson and a Homer a slasher more then a Thumper. Dallas is more a combination of One cut / Slasher that can run with limited power from what I have seen and all of them can catch.

I expect a bit of rotation and if someone gets hot to feed them and then hit TE's and The deep ball.
I think Carson is one of the top backs in the league.

I imagine Belichick will go with a CB spy like Jonathan Jones to watch Wilson, like he's done when playing Mahomes and Jackson.

Smellyman

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1poph56n said:
chris98251":1poph56n said:
50yrpatsfan":1poph56n said:
CPHawk":1poph56n said:

I imagine Belichick will go with a CB spy like Jonathan Jones to watch Wilson, like he's done when playing Mahomes and Jackson.

Too much spying RW is a mistake. He doesn't run often and it would lead to more gaps in zone or man and he is always looking to throw first.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smellyman":wqwjkk12 said:
50yrpatsfan":wqwjkk12 said:
chris98251":wqwjkk12 said:
50yrpatsfan":wqwjkk12 said:

Too much spying RW is a mistake. He doesn't run often and it would lead to more gaps in zone or man and he is always looking to throw first.

Why I put what I did in the First paragraph

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2l6ej21k said:

It's nice to see a fan from another team spotting how underrated he is.

With a spotty front seven, Pete would be silly not to run. But it also spells opportunities for Russ to scramble and escape, so that's where we'll still get to see whether Pete is staying aggressive.

chet380

Reaction score
94Smith":2lw7zt9e said:

This year --- Stephon Gillmore, J.C. Jackson, Jason McCourty -- ranked as Top 10 shutdown corners

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":42zb80d0 said:

Not really as one we have way more weapons than Miami, 2 and again letting Russ cook does not mean throwing more, it means being more unpredictable and letting Russ be Russ sooner. Could be more read option, could mean more motion. Given their front lien is weak could mean more screens.

Like many you think let Russ cook means throw more it does not. It means let Russ be Russ sooner than the 4th qtr. Yes NE is good against the pass, but they can only cover so many people. Fine put your best on DK, double Locket, ahh who covers Olsen, Dissley, RBs etc etc.