NFL wants us in a London game in 2018 (or soon)

rjdriver

Reaction score
According to this ESPN article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2122 ... -the-field

“A total of 26 teams have made the trip at least once, and Kirkwood said he is focused on the remaining six for the 2018 schedule. That list contains the Philadelphia Eagles, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks. Five of those teams have winning records in 2017, while the Texans are 3-4.”

While I would be thrilled for our UK members to see their team play, I just don’t think it makes sense from a competitive standpoint. We already travel more miles than anyone on average. The west coast teams should be given the ability to decline a London game IMO. I would be extra upset if we were designated the home team, relinquishing one of the best HFA for a game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The NFL will wise up and eventually put an export ban on bad teams playing in London. I except the NFL to only send teams with a Pro-Bowl level QB with in the next few seasons.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately it's going to happen eventually. I agree though, I don't want it to be a home game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sdog1981":30j33s6n said:
The NFL will wise up and eventually put an export ban on bad teams playing in London. I except the NFL to only send teams with a Pro-Bowl level QB with in the next few seasons.

Much harder to talk good teams that have good HFA into wasting that sort of travel time commitment and one huge home game for one of the teams into going to London.

That's why it's been the way it's been, an endless parade of crap teams with terrible home field advantages.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Obviously this is going to be unanimously hated by state-side Hawks fans. UK Hawk fans should be somewhat excited, though.

Only way I wouldn't be truly upset about this is if 1) we're not giving up a home game for it 2) we play two road games in a row, the first week consisting of an east coast game and then the team flies over to the UK for the entire week leading up to the game in London.

If I remember correctly, west coast teams are currently 3-3 in London games.

stizz19

Reaction score
Guarentee it will be Seattle vs Carolina if (hopefully not) this happens.

Maulbert

Reaction score
The NFL wants a franchise in London. That's still not feasable, but what I have been expecting the NFL to do for years is expand to a 17 game season and have every team play a London game every season. I'm not sure how they'd determine opponents, though.

andyh64000

Reaction score
London12":34toqfx1 said:
I would be ok with this.....

As long as it's a road game.

This. As long at is a road game I think it would be great...in fact I would likely go to the game.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Could care less about London games. In fact have yet to watch a single game there.

IF the Seahawks are forced to play there you had better bet we ALL pray it's a road game. To give up a home game for London would be a total joke. Especially when we have the best home field advantage in the NFL.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Two things I dislike about the NFL:

1. A potential Seahawks game in London.
2. Thursday night games.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like TNF because it's NFL football in between Monday and Sundays. In fact, there's been a few great TNF games this year so far.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Assuming NFL games aren't going anywhere, what I'd hope to see is a Seahawks @ Rams game played in London. It would be a good matchup (especially next season) and the travel would be fairly even for the two teams. As long as they give us both a bye after that, I think that would really be the perfect scenario to get a Seahawks game in London with the least impact

stizz19

Reaction score
Maulbert":t6ipnt7p said:
The NFL wants a franchise in London. That's still not feasable, but what I have been expecting the NFL to do for years is expand to a 17 game season and have every team play a London game every season. I'm not sure how they'd determine opponents, though.
Geographically it would make zero sense to do this, first off teams don't want to travel that far to play a game AND imagine them travelling to the US every other week to play a road game? They would be exhausted...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Why do they have to take away a teams home game? Couldn't they both have it as one of their road games and a coin flip determines who is the home and who is the away? Considering both teams are 1000s of miles away from home, schedule it as an away game for both. As long as division rivals aren't playing, the scheduling should work.

andyh64000

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":10djsf3g said:
Why do they have to take away a teams home game? Couldn't they both have it as one of their road games and a coin flip determines who is the home and who is the away? Considering both teams are 1000s of miles away from home, schedule it as an away game for both. As long as division rivals aren't playing, the scheduling should work.

The scheduling wouldn't work. The entire schedule needs an equal number of home and road games.