NFL wants us in a London game in 2018 (or soon)

Mindsink

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3fl0o5kl said:
Two things I dislike about the NFL:

1. A potential Seahawks game in London.
2. Thursday night games.

Both of which started very shortly after Goodell became commish.

Storts

Reaction score
Been hoping for this for ages - being based in London. Don't want use to give up a home game, but no reason we can't have a road game here. You'll be surprised how many Hawks fans are about now, plenty at the London games to date

I think next step is to play 8 games a season here, so like a full home season but without a franchise and alternating teams.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the fact that the London games start at like 6am local time? Thats a problem for west coast teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":uk7q6naz said:
Anyone else notice the fact that the London games start at like 6am local time? Thats a problem for west coast teams.

Wasn't a problem for the Rams last weekend, their best game of the year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":37o8myz8 said:

Which is just another reason why having a Seahawks @ Rams game seem to be an equitable solution

Zeearend

Reaction score
This is a difficult one. As I live nearby in The Netherlands a game that close to home would be great, but I'd hate to see the Hawks get a disadvantage because of the distance and difference in time zones. If it does happen then it has to be a road game and follow an east coast road game as mentioned before.

AlciG

Reaction score
Is it selfish of me to say I would love it. Living in the Netherlands I could actually go to the game

GlastoHawkUK

Reaction score
No just NO
I intended to post a question asking what Hawks fans views are on the London NFL games, when I saw this thread. To give some context I live approx 120 miles from London and first attended a Wembley (old stadium) in 1986 when the Cowboys played the Bears (only memory was of a very large Fridge playing for the Bears), I also attended the Falcons v Lions in 2014. Yesterday I watched the Browns and Vikings on TV from Twickenham. For me the atmosphere is just terrible, fans of many teams turn up and the stadiums and surrounding areas have something of a carnival atmosphere, but no passion. I would liken it to a primary school trip to the zoo, lots of excitement and new experiences, but far from a safari.
I am sure many UK Seahawk fans will be desperate for a chance to see the Hawks live without a trans Atlantic flight, however the experience is just not what you get from being at a game in the States, certainly nothing like the Clink.
Dont underestimate the effects of a west - east flight, I have done it a number of times from the west coast and as recently as 2 weeks ago, the jet lag will effect people differantly, mostly I have been ok, until this trip when I took 5 days to adjust body clock. Imagine taking the trip from Seattle to London then having to train and play when your body wants to sleep. How did Arizona get on with their London game!
As for fans from Seattle thinking it may be a good experience, well be prepared. London is not all Black Cabs, Red Buses and soldiers dressed in red tunics and furry hats. Its in truth a dreadfully crowded dirty, expensive city. Hotels are generaly poor value for money, staffed by miserable underpaid eastern european staff. Dont expect to meet to many Cockneys on the Apples and Pears (cockney rhyming slang for stairs), they and their Dustbin Lids (kids) left long ago for the suberbs or normally further afield. Many Brits take great care when visiting London, a large number will avoid the tube (dirty underground trains) and take taxis due to concerns over potential terrorist incidents. No doubt some Brits will strongly disagree with me, some may even live in London and be offended by my comments, I can only give my honest personal view. I have recently been in Seattle and Vancouver, couldnt believe how friendly and helpful people were, both cities were very clean and felt safe, so much better than London. Good quality food was easy to find at a decent price with friendly service, something very unlikely in our capital city.
Should it happen and the Hawks play at Wembley, the ground is decent and the executive Club Wembley facilities were good when I experienced them for a soccer international.
For any UK Hawks, I would suggest saving the money for a trip to Seattle, flights are not to expensive if booked well in advance, ok ticket prices ate expensive for the British wallet due to the £/$ exchange, but the experience is unforgettable.
So for me its a massive No to Seahawks in London

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x8mlrqi said:
gowazzu02":2x8mlrqi said:

Wasn't a problem for the Rams last weekend, their best game of the year.

That'll happen when the team you're playing has Drew Stanton at QB.

Just because the Rams whooped the Cards doesn't mean it's not a problem for west coast teams, generally speaking. A 7 hour time difference is a lot to adjust to. West coast fan bases get pretty screwed over too. Either be up and ready to watch a game at 6am on a Sunday or miss one of the 16 games you wait all year to watch.

But whatever, I know it doesn't matter. Rog wants his London games so the Seahawks are going to be forced to play there at some point I'm sure.

Edit to add: I seriously doubt Rog or anyone else in the NFL FO gives one single crap if we lose a home game to London.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm fine with it if it's an away game. Seahawks from a competitive standpoint shouldn't have to move a home game across the world. i think it would be cool for fans in London to see the team, and maybe make some new ones. The players and coaches might enjoy the trip, who knows. This team has never been about letting any of that stuff get to them even when it actually does.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
andyh64000":3s95ghvv said:
oldhawkfan":3s95ghvv said:
Why do they have to take away a teams home game? Couldn't they both have it as one of their road games and a coin flip determines who is the home and who is the away? Considering both teams are 1000s of miles away from home, schedule it as an away game for both. As long as division rivals aren't playing, the scheduling should work.

The scheduling wouldn't work. The entire schedule needs an equal number of home and road games.

Which is exactly why playing any game at a neutral site is stupid.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Honestly was a bit surprised it didn't happen this year with the road Jaguars game on the sched.

I think we're definitely heading to London sooner than later (blech) .. but I'd be floored if they take a home game from us to do so. Usually the home games that are lost are in markets that struggle to fill the stadium anyway (J'Ville, Cleveland, Miami) .. that's certainly not descriptive of this team.

But yeah the NFL in London for regular season games is utterly stupid.

Storts

Reaction score
GlastoHawkUK":24f0s8sk said:
No just NO
I intended to post a question asking what Hawks fans views are on the London NFL games, when I saw this thread. To give some context I live approx 120 miles from London and first attended a Wembley (old stadium) in 1986 when the Cowboys played the Bears (only memory was of a very large Fridge playing for the Bears), I also attended the Falcons v Lions in 2014. Yesterday I watched the Browns and Vikings on TV from Twickenham. For me the atmosphere is just terrible, fans of many teams turn up and the stadiums and surrounding areas have something of a carnival atmosphere, but no passion. I would liken it to a primary school trip to the zoo, lots of excitement and new experiences, but far from a safari.
I am sure many UK Seahawk fans will be desperate for a chance to see the Hawks live without a trans Atlantic flight, however the experience is just not what you get from being at a game in the States, certainly nothing like the Clink.
Dont underestimate the effects of a west - east flight, I have done it a number of times from the west coast and as recently as 2 weeks ago, the jet lag will effect people differantly, mostly I have been ok, until this trip when I took 5 days to adjust body clock. Imagine taking the trip from Seattle to London then having to train and play when your body wants to sleep. How did Arizona get on with their London game!
As for fans from Seattle thinking it may be a good experience, well be prepared. London is not all Black Cabs, Red Buses and soldiers dressed in red tunics and furry hats. Its in truth a dreadfully crowded dirty, expensive city. Hotels are generaly poor value for money, staffed by miserable underpaid eastern european staff. Dont expect to meet to many Cockneys on the Apples and Pears (cockney rhyming slang for stairs), they and their Dustbin Lids (kids) left long ago for the suberbs or normally further afield. Many Brits take great care when visiting London, a large number will avoid the tube (dirty underground trains) and take taxis due to concerns over potential terrorist incidents. No doubt some Brits will strongly disagree with me, some may even live in London and be offended by my comments, I can only give my honest personal view. I have recently been in Seattle and Vancouver, couldnt believe how friendly and helpful people were, both cities were very clean and felt safe, so much better than London. Good quality food was easy to find at a decent price with friendly service, something very unlikely in our capital city.
Should it happen and the Hawks play at Wembley, the ground is decent and the executive Club Wembley facilities were good when I experienced them for a soccer international.
For any UK Hawks, I would suggest saving the money for a trip to Seattle, flights are not to expensive if booked well in advance, ok ticket prices ate expensive for the British wallet due to the £/$ exchange, but the experience is unforgettable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That opinion of London is absolutely ridiculous, don't even know where to begin. Just utter nonsense

two dog

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":vrc5vdx9 said:
Two things I dislike about the NFL:

1. A potential Seahawks game in London.
2. Thursday night games.

This...1000%. Especially Thursday night games. It takes a toll on player's bodies playing on Sundays
and Thursdays makes that even worse. Preach player safety but practice it too.

Cad

Reaction score
If the NFL is gung-ho about this, they should tack on an extra week to the season, give every team two bye weeks, and then schedule it so you can either play in London or do a Thursday-night game, but you get the bye week to prepare for it.

The NFL gets to sell another weekend of advertising without adding more games, teams get another bye, and they don't have to go into a game on just 3-days rest.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1y8h5jeq said:
Obviously this is going to be unanimously hated by state-side Hawks fans. UK Hawk fans should be somewhat excited, though.

Only way I wouldn't be truly upset about this is if 1) we're not giving up a home game for it 2) we play two road games in a row, the first week consisting of an east coast game and then the team flies over to the UK for the entire week leading up to the game in London.

If I remember correctly, west coast teams are currently 3-3 in London games.

That's actually a pretty good idea. My idea was have the game in London, then give us a bye.

We also better get favorable East Coast road games the rest of that season, no 10 am games. That's the only way I buy in.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks46":t1mvqqqu said:
JGfromtheNW":t1mvqqqu said:
Obviously this is going to be unanimously hated by state-side Hawks fans. UK Hawk fans should be somewhat excited, though.

Only way I wouldn't be truly upset about this is if 1) we're not giving up a home game for it 2) we play two road games in a row, the first week consisting of an east coast game and then the team flies over to the UK for the entire week leading up to the game in London.

If I remember correctly, west coast teams are currently 3-3 in London games.

That's actually a pretty good idea. My idea was have the game in London, then give us a bye.

We also better get favorable East Coast road games the rest of that season, no 10 am games. That's the only way I buy in.

So your asking the League office to compensate the Seahawks who Goodell can't stand because we embarrass his Giants game after game, who the league routinely changes rules to take away an advantage, who the league loves to target and fine.

I would expect the following more, Thursday night game following the trip to London as a Home game and a road game to the East Coast to play a playoff team the next Sunday.

Lwrb25

Reaction score
Storts":3vm8pk6l said:
GlastoHawkUK":3vm8pk6l said:
No just NO

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That opinion of London is absolutely ridiculous, don't even know where to begin. Just utter nonsense

Agreed with you. Was laughing reading that, utterly ridiculous. IF this happens, would hope plenty travel over from Seattle (praying it's not a Home game), and i guarantee you the vast majority would love London.It's an amazing city.