No longer SB contenders .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Own The West":14iamtt4 said:
There were 6 teams with a 12-4 record or better last year. We were one of them. Our core is intact and we have cap money. Why the drama?

If your "core" hasn't changed in 10 years? That's a bad sign.

Our SB core should now be Shaq Griffin, LJ Collier, Rashaad Penny, Jaaran Reed, DK, Blair, etc.

The fact that our core is still Russell, Bobby and KJ is an indictment, not a positive.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gpshbgf said:
Own The West":3gpshbgf said:
There were 6 teams with a 12-4 record or better last year. We were one of them. Our core is intact and we have cap money. Why the drama?

If your "core" hasn't changed in 10 years? That's a bad sign.

Our SB core should now be Shaq Griffin, LJ Collier, Rashaad Penny, Jaaran Reed, DK, Blair, etc.

The fact that our core is still Russell, Bobby and KJ is an indictment, not a positive.

I would say Wilson is still part of the Core, Wagner and KJ are both Veteran presence, not really the core anymore.

That is the problem, we have no real core guys, we have some that are in development, Adams, Diggs probably are the closest at this point. Wagner and KJ are productive still but you know are not the future. They would be guys a Super Bowl team that needs a piece to push would be happy to have, but we really are in a re launch mode now.

DK and Lockett as well as Wilson the center pieces on offense, on defense, Diggs, Adams, going forward and KJ and Wagner the guys mentoring the rest while still playing at a decent and or higher level.

BASF

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8xw5f80h said:
knownone":8xw5f80h said:
Only 4 teams that made the playoffs, last year, had a tougher strength of schedule than the Seahawks. But yeah, Seattle was not a contender because they played an easy schedule. And, I suppose neither were the Chiefs and Packers since they had easier schedules than Seattle.

Idk what metrics you're using, but by January the Hawk's had the 20th ranked strength of schedule, and THE EASIEST 2nd half schedule.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/streng ... hedule.php

Bottom line, this team was never a legitimate SB contender, and haven't been for a long time. Russell wanting out should be enough proof of that, he knows this version of this team reached it's potential under Pete long ago, and isn't getting better.

Russell wants out because he has become selfish and wants more pass attempts and to increase his numbers. The fact that he believes more numbers for him will lead to more victories is natural for any top athlete. The problem is that he has limitations and believes that he does not. The whole no confidence in the coaching staff thing came out after the Waldron hire. Perhaps Waldron talked to Russell about his limitations and working around them and Russell did not like that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BASF":17206pb8 said:
Sgt. Largent":17206pb8 said:
knownone":17206pb8 said:
Only 4 teams that made the playoffs, last year, had a tougher strength of schedule than the Seahawks. But yeah, Seattle was not a contender because they played an easy schedule. And, I suppose neither were the Chiefs and Packers since they had easier schedules than Seattle.

Idk what metrics you're using, but by January the Hawk's had the 20th ranked strength of schedule, and THE EASIEST 2nd half schedule.

Bottom line, this team was never a legitimate SB contender, and haven't been for a long time. Russell wanting out should be enough proof of that, he knows this version of this team reached it's potential under Pete long ago, and isn't getting better.

Russell wants out because he has become selfish and wants more pass attempts and to increase his numbers. The fact that he believes more numbers for him will lead to more victories is natural for any top athlete. The problem is that he has limitations and believes that he does not. The whole no confidence in the coaching staff thing came out after the Waldron hire. Perhaps Waldron talked to Russell about his limitations and working around them and Russell did not like that.

I don't believe this for a second.

Russell's the ultimate competitor, and has supreme confidence in himself. When he says he wants to be the best QB of all time, he means it.

So he wants what Brady has, and he doesn't think he can get there here. Whether that's misguided as to the grass being greener elsewhere? That's an entirely different conversation.

But selfish? I guess, if it's within the context of what I just said. I'd say more being realistic and pessimistic about the state of the Hawks under Pete, than selfish.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
BASF":3hzyy5n1 said:
I thought he just wants a couple of offensive linemen that can pass block as well as run block?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s937uby said:
Psst............we haven't been Super Bowl contenders in almost a decade.

This. Making the playoffs makes you a contender by having an opportunity, but let’s be real this team has not been a true contender since SB 49. The talent was still on the field in 2014-2015, but their hearts weren’t in it anymore. And after that the talent was not enough to be a true contender. (Top 4 team)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
knownone":i9cqwbls said:

What did the eye test tell you about the Seahawks true ability to win 2-3 consecutive playoff games as a “contender”. Because year after year we know they were capable of winning 1, that second game is where they would get “exposed” and insert every excuse in the book yet same result year after year. Meanwhile the other teams you mention year after year 2-3 playoff games was a realistic expectation...true “contenders”

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yj2ate7 said:
Cyrus12":2yj2ate7 said:
I thought they were real contenders last year. The defense got better but then the offense took a dump. Even though they were winning games most of them were as a result of playing weak teams. I think if the offense had kept Eli g they could of made a run.

Nah, our 12-4 record was inflated due to the easy 2nd half of the season schedule. 12-4 is 12-4, but we were more a 10-6 type of team with some glaring holes and issues, which reared their ugly heads in the playoffs.

I'm normally OK with John and Pete not going big in the first wave of free agency, but last year was the perfect year to go spend on bringing a Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd in here to be real difference makers and a SB contender.......instead of the 5-6 scrubs they brought in because they thought they could coach them up, or whatever their reasonings are for not going after bona fide front line starters every free agency.

Imo once Wilson was out of the mvp race his care factor went down rapidly. I agree guys like that could of made a difference but get ready for more the same this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2a81e5wk said:
Sgt. Largent":2a81e5wk said:
Cyrus12":2a81e5wk said:
I thought they were real contenders last year. The defense got better but then the offense took a dump. Even though they were winning games most of them were as a result of playing weak teams. I think if the offense had kept Eli g they could of made a run.

Nah, our 12-4 record was inflated due to the easy 2nd half of the season schedule. 12-4 is 12-4, but we were more a 10-6 type of team with some glaring holes and issues, which reared their ugly heads in the playoffs.

I'm normally OK with John and Pete not going big in the first wave of free agency, but last year was the perfect year to go spend on bringing a Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd in here to be real difference makers and a SB contender.......instead of the 5-6 scrubs they brought in because they thought they could coach them up, or whatever their reasonings are for not going after bona fide front line starters every free agency.

Imo once Wilson was out of the mvp race his care factor went down rapidly. I agree guys like that could of made a difference but get ready for more the same this year.

The difference is last year we had the cap space, this year we do not. I think we're 2nd or 3rd in the league right now for least amount of players under contract.

That's a LOT of players to sign and fill out a roster with only 17M of cap space.............AND try to extend Adams, resign Poona, etc.

Wilson, Wagner, Lockett, Brown, Reed. We gotta try to rework some contracts to free up some cap.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1d8o3ra1 said:
knownone":1d8o3ra1 said:

Hmm... Alright, let's use your source.

Playoff Teams: Strength of Schedule Rank
11: Rams
13: Buccaneers
15: Bills
17: Bears
18: Saints
20: Seahawks
24: Chiefs
26: Packers
27: Titans
28: Ravens
29: Steelers
30: Washington
31: Browns
32: Colts

According to your source, these are the rankings for the strength of schedule at the end of the season. In other words, that's how tough a team's schedule was for the entire season, not half of a season, which is a silly way to compare the relative strength of teams. Nonetheless, I stand corrected. 5 teams had a tougher schedule, not 4. I forgot the Bears made the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":1xhkxnco said:
Sgt. Largent":1xhkxnco said:
knownone":1xhkxnco said:

Hmm... Alright, let's use your source.

Playoff Teams: Strength of Schedule Rank
11: Rams
13: Buccaneers
15: Bills
17: Bears
18: Saints
20: Seahawks
24: Chiefs
26: Packers
27: Titans
28: Ravens
29: Steelers
30: Washington
31: Browns
32: Colts

According to your source, these are the rankings for the strength of schedule at the end of the season. In other words, that's how tough a team's schedule was for the entire season, not half of a season, which is a silly way to compare the relative strength of teams. Nonetheless, I stand corrected. 5 teams had a tougher schedule, not 4. I forgot the Bears made the playoffs.

If you don't think playing literally the worst teams in the league for 8 games to end the season inflated our record, I don't know what to say.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This team hasn't been a contender since Pete and Co. made the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team will not get as far as the NFCCG as long as Pete is the HC.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Let's be real here, we haven't been Super Bowl contenders since our last run. In 2015 we should have been eliminated in the first round, but thanks to Walsh we won a game. Then... we went on to sign him. Our only wins since then have been against 40 year old Luke McCown and a Matt Stafford playing with an injured throwing hand, and sprained ankle. The 40 year old McCown was giving us a run for our money until he got an injury.

Our issue is we don't play to our strengths. Carroll plays the same way no matter what. Right now our strength isn't in the defense, and it hasn't been since 2016. Since 2016 we haven't ranked higher than 13th in defense and our run game has been a hit and a miss. He needs to give Wilson and our receivers a modern offense, and a running game to compliment him. Letting Russ cook is not passing the ball 60 times a game, it's giving him agency to operate the offense. Meaning giving him more options to vary the tempo, give him more agency at the LOS to change plays, giving him an offense that structurally modern, not a relic from 1979. It's all about giving him all of the tools at his disposal to carry the team, and yes that does include a running game.

Lockett, Wilson and DK Metcalf are the teams strengths and the offense has been the strength of the team for quite some time, yet we're not approaching games that way, specifically in the playoffs and later half of the seasons.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":190cddwv said:
This team hasn't been a contender since Pete and Co. made the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team will not get as far as the NFCCG as long as Pete is the HC.
Looked like a shitty throw by the QB.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":35c5svic said:
Let's be real here, we haven't been Super Bowl contenders since our last run. In 2015 we should have been eliminated in the first round, but thanks to Walsh we won a game. Then... we went on to sign him. Our only wins since then have been against 40 year old Luke McCown and a Matt Stafford playing with an injured throwing hand, and sprained ankle. The 40 year old McCown was giving us a run for our money until he got an injury.

Our issue is we don't play to our strengths. Carroll plays the same way no matter what. Right now our strength isn't in the defense, and it hasn't been since 2016. Since 2016 we haven't ranked higher than 13th in defense and our run game has been a hit and a miss. He needs to give Wilson and our receivers a modern offense, and a running game to compliment him. Letting Russ cook is not passing the ball 60 times a game, it's giving him agency to operate the offense. Meaning giving him more options to vary the tempo, give him more agency at the LOS to change plays, giving him an offense that structurally modern, not a relic from 1979. It's all about giving him all of the tools at his disposal to carry the team, and yes that does include a running game.

Lockett, Wilson and DK Metcalf are the teams strengths and the offense has been the strength of the team for quite some time, yet we're not approaching games that way, specifically in the playoffs and later half of the seasons.

Truth. We have the benefit of hindsight now to see that the process we've all been watching since 2015 hasn't paid off in the playoffs. Is it worse to go .500 year after year, or win 10-12 games only to know that you will maybe win 2 games in the playoffs at best? At least a so-so team can surprise you and bring some entertainment. And yeah, the NFL is entertainment.

The loss to the Rams this year was a straight blood in the water moment. Backup QB knocked out, injured Goff and...

"Carroll plays the same way no matter what'. Truer words have never been spoken. And it's fine while it works, but when it doesn't (and hasn't for nigh on a decade) maybe entertain some new ideas? Nope. Not Pete. Old man hubris. But hey, let's give away our draft picks, ignore free agency, and generally try to plug holes...whatever. See you in 2025 when something new (Russ will be long gone by then while Pete dinks around and around) happens. Winning the bronze in the Olympics in teh worst. Winning silver is. Because you were ALMOST there. Pete has been ALMOST there. for 5 years now. And it's not fun.

NJlargent

Reaction score
We are always contenders, and then the playoffs start and we get outcoached.

Hopefully the niners and rams have injuries so we can pretend another year and put up another winning season in the PC era.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
It just feels like a cluster phuk is on the horizon .

hawks85

Reaction score
BASF":212ql2tq said:
Sgt. Largent":212ql2tq said:
knownone":212ql2tq said:

BINGO!!!!

hawks85

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2l4iu6re said:

Yup, One of the season's Seattle is gonna finish with a losing record 6-10, 7-9 etc...and hopefully that sinks to Pete's head that something has to change.

Latest posts