No longer SB contenders .

Fade

Reaction score
IndyHawk":30m6vpat said:
WmHBonney":30m6vpat said:
This team hasn't been a contender since Pete and Co. made the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team will not get as far as the NFCCG as long as Pete is the HC.
Looked like a $h!t throw by the QB.
The ball was perfectly placed to a special teams gunner into the teeth of a goal line defense. Kearse just had to block the most physical corner in modern NFL history who told the DB behind him that the play was coming. I'm sorry Bevell, that the Seahawks failed to execute your $hit play.

As for the Seahawks being SB contenders, I can't quite stick a fork in 'em yet, but it's getting there.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
SB contender is an interesting term because the term 'contender' is subjective.

Matter of perspective. At the start of each year after the SB loss (at least for 2-3 years) we were picked as SB favorites by the media each year. Several other years during this run, we have been dark horse picks.

In fact, at the 3/4 mark of each year we tend to look like we are going to run away with it. Usually looking like one of the best teams in the league, if not the most dangerous.

Then we invariably have a few stumbles, lose momentum and slip into either a wildcard or once missed the playoffs. The only reason that was different last year was because the massive wave of injuries hitting teams in our division.

The truth is that we stand no chance in the playoffs because Carroll plays better coaches and turtles up in the playoffs anyway. By the time Wilson is unfettered, it is usually halftime and we are down by several TDs. Some of the comeback is probably the other team going conservative and playing prevent D, but some is Wilson is used to comebacks by going off script in the 2nd half.

Either way, it is just playoff theater. Against better teams and better coaches, Carroll's philosophy + this roster = no chance. We get down big, scramble to come back and come up short. Because the gameplan was too flawed to overcome.

To be a SB contender you have to win playoff games. Carroll handcuffs his offense in the playoffs and trusts his defense. Except with a mediocre defense that is a losing strategy. Worse, because the entire year is spent playing the %s by beating bad teams and winning a few 50/50 games with Wilson magic...you are not ready to play a competitive game in the playoffs.

It is better to lose more games in the regular season if you are better prepared to do well in the playoffs. Carroll never learned that. Mastering a type of football that has no use in the playoffs was a fool's errand.

We never stood a chance at the SB or even a trip to the Conference game because had a coaching staff building gameplans that had no chance in the playoffs.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":aoojoe1t said:
Let's be real here, we haven't been Super Bowl contenders since our last run. In 2015 we should have been eliminated in the first round, but thanks to Walsh we won a game. Then... we went on to sign him. Our only wins since then have been against 40 year old Luke McCown and a Matt Stafford playing with an injured throwing hand, and sprained ankle. The 40 year old McCown was giving us a run for our money until he got an injury.

Our issue is we don't play to our strengths. Carroll plays the same way no matter what. Right now our strength isn't in the defense, and it hasn't been since 2016. Since 2016 we haven't ranked higher than 13th in defense and our run game has been a hit and a miss. He needs to give Wilson and our receivers a modern offense, and a running game to compliment him. Letting Russ cook is not passing the ball 60 times a game, it's giving him agency to operate the offense. Meaning giving him more options to vary the tempo, give him more agency at the LOS to change plays, giving him an offense that structurally modern, not a relic from 1979. It's all about giving him all of the tools at his disposal to carry the team, and yes that does include a running game.

Lockett, Wilson and DK Metcalf are the teams strengths and the offense has been the strength of the team for quite some time, yet we're not approaching games that way, specifically in the playoffs and later half of the seasons.
Agree 100%!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I think it's interesting how everyone knows how we'll do by the middle of March, before any real free agency moves, before the draft, before pre-season, and before our new OC calls his first play.

Far too many variables for me to be so certain.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This past years showing was disappointing, as was 2018s... but man, 2019 should have been an NFCCG berth. If Malik doesn't drop that pass, I think they would've gotten in.

I'm laboring under no delusions that this team is going to be like 2013 again, but I'm not gonna count them out.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
knownone":32q2870v said:
pittpnthrs":32q2870v said:
xray":32q2870v said:
The Hawks have been in the SB conversation for almost a decade , going to two and winning one ; but that was along time ago , a lifetime ago for fans . The last several years the Hawks at the beginning of each season have been touted as one of the favorites for a SB appearance at least . It just never happened . This year I doubt the Hawks will be in that same SB conversation ; and might not be in the perennial playoff conversation either . Something really feels off about the Hawks and it's not just the Wilson situation . IMO

Havent been contenders in years. Just took some longer to realize that than others.
A team that was an OT loss away from being the #1 seed in the NFC hasn't been a contender for years? Interesting.

Again, it takes some longer to realize than others.

How can people watch this team and be so easily fooled? How many teams above .500 did the Hawks beat last season? In order to win or contend for the SB a team needs some horses in the trenches, an effective run game, a good defense, and most importantly a head coach that can game plan. The Seahawks have none of that. Winning the Wild Card game is about the ceiling for this team.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In other news, water is wet.

This franchise has only ever been really good when the running game is a force and we have a reliable, good to great star running back.

Once Lynch got hurt and old, the train stopped.

If we can get a good, young running back to stay healthy and put up numbers, we will be back in the dance. Until then, we'll keep being pretenders year after year

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
1 wildcard win in 4 years with a coach with almost unheralded, unchecked power still stuck in his mentor Bud Grant's era and desire to run the ball into oblivion.

When was the last time this team beat a great QB in the playoffs to prove it was a real contender--'16 Stafford? Bridgewater in '15? Really it hasn't been since the '14 NFCCG over Rodgers.

Are we really confident our lack of overall talent on OL and DL will be sufficiently addressed to win in the trenches in the playoffs?

What indication do we have that Carroll is entering a new dawn and innovation on offense will prevail? Even with the new Rams coaches, how sure are we really that PeteBall won't rear its ugly head at the worst times and particularly every playoff game?

Stagnation leads to decline and Pete has yet to demonstrate he is capable of putting in motion any semblance of real change.

Whether in scheme, game planning, in-game adjustments or offseason talent acquisition strategy, what we've seen is what we'll get as long as Pete remains: competitive regular seasons providing overall enjoyment and a modicum of hope for the postseason but ultimately under-achieving and disappointment when it counts the most.

getnasty

Reaction score
As long as you have an elite QB your always a contender in my book. I feel like everyone likes to compare this team to the 2013/14 teams, and always end up dissapointed.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":v5ojzdmn said:
As long as you have an elite QB your always a contender in my book. I feel like everyone likes to compare this team to the 2013/14 teams, and always end up dissapointed.

That's like saying if you have a Hemi in your car you can win any race, well what your missing is that you have no tires, or the tranny's fried etc.

We have a Engine but no car to put it in that will let us compete.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
chris98251":1u2hyu3a said:
getnasty":1u2hyu3a said:

That's like saying if you have a Hemi in your car you can win any race, well what your missing is that you have no tires, or the tranny's fried etc.

We have a Engine but no car to put it in that will let us compete.

Don't forget the driver that has 12 drivers on his back bumper because he is driving 10 under and is too prideful to stop and ask for directions.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle will be lucky to win 10 games this year.

Wilson on his own, can win 8 games.

The other 8 games require points from the defense, injuries on the other team, the other team being lazy to play a full game, referees impacting calls, etc.

Fade

Reaction score
Let's say Wilson and Waldron really click and they are putting up 30+ on the board, and Pete is more hands off on offense than years past and gets the defense playing top 8 the whole season.

This is a fairly reasonable possibility, so like I was saying, I can't quite stick a fork in 'em yet. 1 MOAR year then we'll know.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Fade":2977i0eh said:
Let's say Wilson and Waldron really click and they are putting up 30+ on the board, and Pete is more hands off on offense than years past and gets the defense playing top 8 the whole season.

This is a fairly reasonable possibility, so like I was saying, I can't quite stick a fork in 'em yet. 1 MOAR year then we'll know.
Carroll’s MO, isn’t to win games by putting 30 plus on the board.

He prefers to play a close tight game until a few big plays wins the game.

30 point scores by Seattle almost comes with a caveat the opposing team will also score a lot of points well.

I see more of the same 20-26 point games with (if the defense is good, meaning top 10) Seattle edging out wins around 2-4 points.

Carroll loves to play these grind it out games, not necessarily, stack points on points on points.

I’m used to it by now.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":3g8s2kj4 said:

I got a bridge i want to sell you.

Mizak

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":301g78a8 said:
Fade":301g78a8 said:

30 point scores by Seattle almost comes with a caveat the opposing team will also score a lot of points well.

I see more of the same 20-26 point games with (if the defense is good, meaning top 10) Seattle edging out wins around 2-4 points.

Carroll loves to play these grind it out games, not necessarily, stack points on points on points.

I’m used to it by now.

So more of “wait until 4th quarter to score points?”

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That some of you expect a 97 year old head coach to suddenly change this late in his career shows the bountiful optimism still flourishing here.

Probably unlikely but fingers crossed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":29zvyz2g said:

When has that ever happened?

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":1rm0f6ur said:
IndyHawk":1rm0f6ur said:
WmHBonney":1rm0f6ur said:
This team hasn't been a contender since Pete and Co. made the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team will not get as far as the NFCCG as long as Pete is the HC.
Looked like a $h!t throw by the QB.
The ball was perfectly placed to a special teams gunner into the teeth of a goal line defense. Kearse just had to block the most physical corner in modern NFL history who told the DB behind him that the play was coming. I'm sorry Bevell, that the Seahawks failed to execute your $hit play.

The Patriots couldn't stop that play in practice.

And it wasn't Brady throwing the ball, but what many on here think is a shitty QB.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Mizak":1vrs6se9 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1vrs6se9 said:
Fade":1vrs6se9 said:

I’m used to it by now.

So more of “wait until 4th quarter to score points?”
Yes yes and hell yes!

Latest posts