Not A Blowout, But...8-3

bmorepunk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":172a61j5 said:
Of course we all wanted to see a 40 burger and total domination but we shoudn't forget that Philly has a good D.

I'd like to see some data on how often one of the better teams in the league actually blows out one of the worse teams in the league. My own observation is that it really doesn't happen that much, based on observation of several teams (not just the Seahawks) and point spreads. fivethirtyeight's point spreads (not affected by how people might but, but by past data) was only five points for this game.

That TD right at the end of the game was a freak play and an actual garbage time score. They were up by two scores before that. It was actually a little bit of a whooping. From a complete game standpoint you could argue this is one of the best of the season, but I think people would rather watch the defense give up 3 TDs in the fourth quarter while Wilson is forced to go back out and score again to save the game.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Wins are hard to come by in this league. Even the most dominant teams barely squeak out wins against inferior (on paper) teams throughout the course of a 17 week season. I'll take 8-3 anyday.

That being said, I think we (.netters) are being cavalier about Washington. Yes, they happen to play in the NFCE, but Alex Smith seems back to his normal slightly above average self and the D is very stout and possesses the ability to pressure the QB. This is not the same Reds...err....WFT that we saw early on during the year.

I'm not looking passed anyone (any given Sunday and all) but I would be surprised and disappointed to lose to the Giants at home, incredibly disappointed to lose to the Jets, but it would not surprise the heck out of me to fall to the WFT on the road in an early game.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
rjdriver":10t6stua said:
I'm not looking passed anyone (any given Sunday and all) but I would be surprised and disappointed to lose to the Giants at home, incredibly disappointed to lose to the Jets, but it would not surprise the heck out of me to fall to the WFT on the road in an early game.

I couldn't agree more. The more I think about it, the more I think that game, not the Rams, may be our final loss of the year if we do drop one. They aren't the sh*t show they were earlier in the season.

LTH

Reaction score
I think the Hawks kinda laid an egg on this one ... they are Juuuust missing on the big plays and those 2 missed 4th down calls? Hmmmmm... it was like going on a blind date with a really ugly woman...LMAO!!! I don't know guys I think this one should have been a blowout... D played ok. but dang, the O was flat as a pancake...ok next week quickly LOL

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":1j20h9if said:
rjdriver":1j20h9if said:

I couldn't agree more. The more I think about it, the more I think that game, not the Rams, may be our final loss of the year if we do drop one. They aren't the sh*t show they were earlier in the season.

If we lose to Colt McCoy at home or Methuseleh Alex Smith on a mediocre not the Skins team, then we are indeed not a serious NFC contender.

Because neither game is a game a serious conference contender with SB aspirations drops. WFC has a good front seven, but other than that their roster is mediocre to terrible. Just because they spanked a hapless Galloping Ginger led Cowboys team, don't believe that means they're all of a sudden good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Regardless what the score was, this felt like a blowout. It was never in doubt, ever. The refs literally handed them their only "drive" of the game, and then the fluke hail mary.
They will take care of business on Sunday, and that's the only game that matters right now.
Yesterday, listening to 710 was hilarious. Fans calling in complaining because they didn't blow them out on the scoreboard, yawn. Or saying "if they play like this, they won't win a super bowl"
Well, they didn't need to win a Super Bowl on Monday, they needed to beat the Eagles, which they did easily.
Just more typical winning isn't good enough stuff. It doesn't bug me as much now, I'm just enjoying the entertainment value of how hard people fight just enjoying winning football. 8-3, no matter how it looks. #2 seed, no matter how it looks. To each his/her own.
Go Hawks

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":20xk72fc said:
Regardless what the score was, this felt like a blowout. It was never in doubt, ever. The refs literally handed them their only "drive" of the game, and then the fluke hail mary.
They will take care of business on Sunday, and that's the only game that matters right now.
Yesterday, listening to 710 was hilarious. Fans calling in complaining because they didn't blow them out on the scoreboard, yawn. Or saying "if they play like this, they won't win a super bowl"
Well, they didn't need to win a Super Bowl on Monday, they needed to beat the Eagles, which they did easily.
Just more typical winning isn't good enough stuff. It doesn't bug me as much now, I'm just enjoying the entertainment value of how hard people fight just enjoying winning football. 8-3, no matter how it looks. #2 seed, no matter how it looks. To each his/her own.
Go Hawks
NWBS-Nice Win But Syndrome. Seahawks fans have lots of it. :twisted:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like it, NWBS. I shall use it in the future, and take full credit of course :mrgreen:
On a side note, I'm still trying to figure out how if the ball lands 3 YARDS behind the line of scrimmage, and the ref is literally looking at it in front of him...…...that's magically not Grounding.
Been fuming about that one the last 2 days. It impacted the game, period. That kind of thing should never happen, and it's the only reason they scored in the first half imo.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1rzlyhit said:
I like it, NWBS. I shall use it in the future, and take full credit of course :mrgreen:
On a side note, I'm still trying to figure out how if the ball lands 3 YARDS behind the line of scrimmage, and the ref is literally looking at it in front of him...…...that's magically not Grounding.
Been fuming about that one the last 2 days. It impacted the game, period. That kind of thing should never happen, and it's the only reason they scored in the first half imo.

This is exactly why I feel penalties that aren't called (in instances like this) should be challenged. It was downright blatant and they had called one on Wilson earlier in the game. Penalties called are very inconsistent game to game and play to play. Therein lies the problem.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If it weren't for some fluky stuff, that was a blowout, 20 point win.

The difference between successful teams and losers?

Which side of the fluky games they end up on.

We aren't losing to WFT or the Jets or the Giants. The Niners will try to play spoiler, but I don't see it happening.

In all likelihood, our week 16 matchup with the Rams is immaterial now.

We just need to win one of the two remaining NFCW games to be NFCW champs.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25hw4h3p said:
Go Hawks

#3 seed. We are behind New Orleans and Green BAy has a higher division record which makes us numma 3. I checked on it for the heck of it and figgerd it out.

dagnabbit. :mrgreen:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'd say it was one of the top three games they played from a whole team performance this year.

Offense had a couple of serious flops but still put up 23 points and got up two touchdowns in the first half. Except for that fluke hail mary at the end, the Eagles never got within eight points of taking the lead.

In the 4th quarter:

Defense stopped the Eagles forcing a turnover on downs near midfield, offense burns two minutes off the clock and gets a field goal.

Eagles get into scoring position off very friendly penalties. Get an interception in end zone.

Offense burns another 4-1/2 minutes off the clock.

Philly turns it over on downs, again. Seahawks get another field goal.

The Seahawks ground it out in the 4th, increased their lead by six points, and didn't let Philly back in the game.

It was a really good game. I hope to see them win like this repeatedly.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/standings/conference/2020/reg/

NFC Team W L T PCT PF PA Net Pts Home Road Div Pct Conf Pct Non-Conf Strk Last 5
New Orleans Saints logo
Saints
9 2 0 0.818 326 225 101 5 - 1 - 0 4 - 1 - 0 4 - 0 - 0 1.000 7 - 1 - 0 0.875 2 - 1 - 0 8W 5 - 0 - 0
Green Bay Packers logo
Packers
8 3 0 0.727 349 283 66 4 - 1 - 0 4 - 2 - 0 3 - 1 - 0 0.750 6 - 2 - 0 0.750 2 - 1 - 0 1W 3 - 2 - 0
Seattle Seahawks logo
Seahawks
8 3 0 0.727 341 304 37 5 - 0 - 0 3 - 3 - 0 2 - 2 - 0 0.500 6 - 2 - 0 0.750 2 - 1 - 0 2W 3 - 2 - 0
Los Angeles Rams logo
Rams
7 4 0 0.636 263 215 48 4 - 1 - 0 3 - 3 - 0

Saints division is 4-0
Green bAy 3-1
Seattle 2-2

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":15wgvizz said:
#3 seed. We are behind New Orleans and Green BAy has a higher division record which makes us numma 3. I checked on it for the heck of it and figgerd it out.

dagnabbit. :mrgreen:

#2 based on strength of victory. Since NO and GB aren't in our division you have to use the Wildcard/ conference tie breakers.

The higher division record is a tie breaker for a tie within the division not the Wildcard/ conference.

The Wildcard/ conference tie breakers are
1 - Head-to-head
2 - Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3 - Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4 - Strength of victory.
5 - Strength of schedule.
6 - Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
7 - Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8 - Best net points in conference games.
9 - Best net points in all games
10 - Best net touchdowns in all games.
11 - Coin toss.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We're #2 due to strength of victory as bigskydoc said.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Had another drunken game time post understandably deleted ;)

IMHO without the bogus penalties and not-called penalties (intentional grounding included) we absolutely dominate that game - which is what I would have expected. I like it! Again IMO, we didn't play down to them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. God I get sick of hearing that "play down" crap over and over again. With THIS team, we have seen this so many times. Garbage time crap that makes it look like it was a close game when it was anything but.