OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

LegendKiller

Reaction score
From Beckham's Camp (regarding what he's looking for in a landing spot):

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1458183655285673988?s=20

""Beckham prefers a team in playoff contention that features an offensive-minded head coach and a creative veteran quarterback with a track record of success."

Playoff contention...maybe. Definitely Not a Deep Run. Offensive-minded coach, definitely not. Quarterback with track record of success...Yes.

massari

Reaction score
They gotta save the money for FA signings like Ezekiel Ansah, Joeckel, the Mayowa/Finney types ect. No room for OBJ.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1458183480576200714[/tweet]

Tokadub

Reaction score
I don't have any doubts that this would be a good fit for OBJ in terms of team culture and giving him a fresh start to maybe finally have a respectable career.

Obviously OBJ has produced when healthy but there has always been this "diva" or "selfish" type of label on him. If he wants to break that label I think the Seahawks are a great fit for him. He'd be playing alongside Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf, that is a scary trio. If he can accept his role that he is not #1 it's more like 3 number ones it might work...

It'd be similar to when Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate had almost identical stats, they were both great. No guy was clearly the #1 receiver.

We have a similar dynamic currently with Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. The question is could OBJ harmoniously fit into our lineup mid season and accept the role of Wide Receiver 1c (sharing an equal roll with Lockett, and Metcalf).

That's being VERY generous to presume OBJ can even perform on their level right now with his recent injuries... but that would be the starting point for him to fit on the team. He can't think he's #1 above our other receivers or it won't work in any circumstance.

I do believe he can accept this role on our team but I have a much bigger question...

Is OBJ legit good this season? I haven't watched ANY of his film from this year.

Is it possible the Browns were holding him back somehow, bad blood with the QB or Coaches?

Conclusion:

Because I'm unsure if OBJ is even good this season (I'd have to study the film), I'm going to say we shouldn't sign him based on his statistical and (maybe physical) performance.

I don't think his personality will be an issue on this team, mainly because he needs to get his act together or he might have an early exit from the league.

If the coaches have scouted that he could be a legit receiver in our offense (so we'd actually have 3 receiving threats)... I think we should get him.

2 great Receivers is not enough for even a psychically prime Russell Wilson to win in the playoffs without a RB like Marshawn Lynch.

WE DO NEED A 3rd GUY our Tight Ends aren't even close so far this season...

One could argue we would be much better off with a better O-line rather than a 3rd receiver and I would tend to agree, but if we can't get a better Oline this might be our best option.

themunn

Reaction score
Tokadub":1ip000wf said:
it'd be similar to when Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate had almost identical stats, they were both great. No guy was clearly the #1 receiver.

It didn't work out for whatever reason with injuries and behaviour, but when Baldwin and Gate were both with the team Sidney Rice was paid like and was considered our #1 receiver. We then went out and paid a kings ransom for Percy Harvin in 2013.

Now, Rice hardly played in 2013 due to injury and retired thereafter, and Harvin was a non-entity aside from a single play in the final game.

But it is also stand to reason that the only year we had all 4 of those receivers was also the only year we won a superbowl..., so clearly having too many receivers didn't hurt us too badly

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
themunn":2068wagt said:
But it is also stand to reason that the only year we had all 4 of those receivers was also the only year we won a superbowl..., so clearly having too many receivers didn't hurt us too badly

The only thing this seasons team would be missing would be a legendary defense, a legendary RB, and a young and mobile QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
It's just being reported Seattle has offered OBJ the most solid contract offer of any team to date. Wilson has also been in contact with him. I'm still not huge on the signing as I think we blew our post season chances and other teams are showing we don't belong in the talk. That said, we have a good shot at landing him.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
Unbelievable, Thank You Tom Brady for starting the Era of the Super Teams. Where the hell are the Rams getting the money for all of these players!?! It's sad that literally no one wants to go to Seattle anymore. You think Wilson is going to still want to stay with the team as it doesn't seem to be an attractive landing spot anymore?

Reaction score
DangeRussHawk":3lq0up0l said:
Unbelievable, Thank You Tom Brady for starting the Era of the Super Teams. Where the hell are the Rams getting the money for all of these players!?! It's sad that literally no one wants to go to Seattle anymore.

What money? The Browns are paying him. OBJ is just going to the team with the best Super Bowl odds. That's definitely not Seattle.

Fade

Reaction score
massari":1osfuain said:
They gotta save the money for FA signings like Ezekiel Ansah, Joeckel, the Mayowa/Finney types ect. No room for OBJ.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1458183480576200714[/tweet]

Exactly. JAGs are expensive, at least for the Seahawks. They're going to need every penny.