Offensive coordinator candidates for 2024

LTH

Reaction score
Kevin Patullo, Eagles passing game coordinator/assistant HC:
View attachment 61961

Kevin Patullo, 42, has done excellent work with the Eagles and should get some looks. Initially, Jalen Hurts was not an especially competent passer. He lacked polish and playmaking ability (on throws), famously getting benched for Tua in the National Championship and transferring out.

Alex Van Pelt, Browns OC
View attachment 61962

Alex Van Pelt (AVP), 53, has had varied success in the league, mainly as a quarterbacks coach. He was poached off of the Bengals, where he coached Joe Burrow, by the Browns to be their OC. He could be interviewed despite being a current OC as he is not the primary playcaller in Cleveland, making this a promotion rather than a lateral move.

Bill Musgrave, Browns Senior Offensive Assistant
View attachment 61964

Remember when the Eagles had Foles/Sanchez light the league up for almost 5000 combined yards? He was the QB coach. Has had several stops at OC, none lasting more than 2 years, but you could probably do worse for a team that needs to hit the basics.

Greg Olson, Seahawks QB coach
View attachment 61965

TBH, fire Waldron today and make him the interim. Experienced OC who, again, has gotten fired more than a couple of times, but who hasn't been solely bad.

Jerrod Johnson, Texans QB Coach
View attachment 61966

Young coach who is rising fast. Former longtime NFL backup QB. Presiding over the emergence of CJ Stroud under young coordinator Bobby Slowik.

Brennan Carroll, Arizona OC
View attachment 61967

SHUT UP STOP YELLING!
Yes, total nepotism. But Arizona looks really, really good on offense - and he's coaching under Jedd Fisch. I literally wouldn't even be mad. How much more chemistry can you get than a literal father/son duo? As long as it isn't Nate. Nate's too goofy.

Dave Canales, Buccaneers OC
View attachment 61968

Dave is doing good with what he has, but Bowles could very well get canned at the end of the year and you never really know who the new guy will keep who on staff. Canales is a rising star and he's home-grown.

Darrell Bevell, Dolphins Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach
View attachment 61963

Lmao, I couldn't resist.
I don't think Waldron is the problem. But... if for some reason he gets fired, and I don't think he will I'd LOVE to see Canales come back. Although why would Tampa let him go?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Dang it, now everyone wants the stinkin' job!
I vote for John63. When Russell comes back from his exile in Denver, he will lead us to the promised land with John63 at the helm. It will be a beautiful day -- I will shed a single tear, not one tear more of the triumphant return of our lord and savior.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think Waldron is the problem. But... if for some reason he gets fired, and I don't think he will I'd LOVE to see Canales come back. Although why would Tampa let him go?
He's only an option if they fire Bowles at the end of the year. I expect they'll want to bring in their own HC with an offensive background, meaning Canales could be a free agent (although he wouldn't be for long).

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think it's time we ask the man in charge some questions.

The offense across multiple different coordinators and QB's always devolve into the same damn thing. Let's take deep shots shots down the sideline and see what happens.

I think viewing Schottenheimer's offense is quite illuminating. It looks absolutely nothing like it did in Seattle, yet in Seattle his passing game looked like the same exact thing that we were running in the second half of the game today.
I don't think it's the exact same thing, honestly. Schottenheimer is one of my favorite OC's, and he had excellent years in 2018 and 2019 engineering a fantastic rushing attack and letting Russ go deep off of that.

That's the thing - that type of offense can work if you have the balls and the smarts to engineer a legit rushing attack and then stick to it.

I keep bringing up this point - but the play scripting being more like what we all want to see and more like what works for this offense leads me to believe that Pete is leaning that direction and that it falls apart when Waldron is on an island, left to his own playcalling tendency.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hey Mael, are you thinking of the West coast offense instead of the pound and grind offense? If you have the pound and grind offense, they cant score if they dont have the ball.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Players must execute better. 3rd downs were once again a problem after the first 2 drives. That was been a common issue.

Sean McVay was been labeled an offensive genius, but his team has struggled to put up point this year.

This loss hurts, I get it, but I don’t think Waldo is the problem.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I vote for John63. When Russell comes back from his exile in Denver, he will lead us to the promised land with John63 at the helm. It will be a beautiful day -- I will shed a single tear, not one tear more of the triumphant return of our lord and savior.
Nah, dude's grammar and spelling is buns. He'd have our WR's running into each other.

Fade

Reaction score
Like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Hahahaha.

Cable, Bevell, Schotty, Waldon, Richard, Norton, Hurtt.

At a certain point, either the coach is incapable of hiring quality coaches to run his units, or he is the problem.

This is how it is supposed to go...

The good coach hires a coordinator, he then develops and thrives under the coach, and then becomes a hot commodity around the league.

Pete instead hires guys who cannot challenge him, and once the 'S' hits the fan, they become the sacrificial lamb.

Top flight OCs aren't coming to be under Pete's thumb. He would have to surrender fully the offense over to the incoming OC. Which he will never do. So you're left with stooges. A new stooge calling plays doesn't fix this team.

Pete is on the record. Once at USC, he took control of the offense, and he said he's never giving it back. The OC is allowed to add to what Pete is doing, but they are a supplement, nothing more.

Here's the better plan. Hire a new HC who is currently a dominant OC in the league. Draft a QB and develop him w/said dominant OC that is now your HC. Fix'd.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It isn't the O coordinator. How many of those have we gone through in Pete's tenure here?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It isn't the O coordinator. How many of those have we gone through in Pete's tenure here?
The OC calls the plays. The thing I have an issue with is playcalling tendencies in off-script situations. Therefore, my issue is directly with the OC currently.

We're on number 4 in year 14. The record hasn't been the greatest, but it isn't a revolving door and it certainly has not been without success.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
He is very creative. Sometimes it doesn’t work. I’m not sure how people could hate it. Sometimes it stalls. McVay’s offense put up 100 yards in the first half. I think people have expectations of scoring every drive, relegating the other side and qualified Defensive coordinators/players to stop it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
He is very creative. Sometimes it doesn’t work. I’m not sure how people could hate it. Sometimes it stalls. McVay’s offense put up 100 yards in the first half. I think people have expectations of scoring every drive, relegating the other side and qualified Defensive coordinators/players to stop it.
Some of his play designs are creative. Like the two back set we saw.

The primary issue is play calling / situational awareness.

These are two different skill sets.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Some of his play designs are creative. Like the two back set we saw.

The primary issue is play calling / situational awareness.

These are two different skill sets.
I guess I see it differently. With the Lock passes, those were good play calls but unfamiliar to everyone involved. Resulted in incompletions. I’m not saying Waldron is Christ, but the wrath this coaching staff takes is like Satanic.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
We couldn’t just run the ball down after down. They had everyone up. A screen might have been nice.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I guess I see it differently. With the Lock passes, those were good play calls but unfamiliar to everyone involved. Resulted in incompletions. I’m not saying Waldron is Christ, but the wrath this coaching staff takes is like Satanic.
This is partly what I mean by situational awareness. You have a cold QB coming off the bench and you throw bombs down the field. It's like playing a video game on hard mode when it doesn't need to be.

Don't abandon the run like he did in the second half, get the QB in a rhythm with some short/intermediate passes, and pick up some first downs. Then maybe you throw a long bomb down the field when you sense your QB is settled.

That pick in that situation was a killer.

Latest posts