Ohtani torn elbow muscle

Crizilla

Reaction score
This is huge news. Probably means he wont get an absolute monster biggest ever contract this upcoming off-season. Honestly I'd be shocked if he even pitched at an elite level anymore. How long can a human bat and pitch at an elite level? Babe Ruth couldn't do it for long. Maybe Ohtani can't either. Dream scenario: the mariners sign him and have him hit not pitch.

86Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah it's really a shame. He's already had Tommy John a few years back. If he needs it again yikes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, that's massive news. I like the kid. Maybe he needs to just hit. And if so, he'll still be just fine. Doing both clearly takes a lot of toll on a body. He is an impressive athlete, very.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Watching slow-mo of certain pitchers throwing, it sometimes amazes me how they can physically endure it every few days... though of course some eventually pay for it.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
He's basically the second coming of Babe Ruth, who was a dominant pitcher for his first few seasons, until management needed his bat to bring in the fans.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And just his bat is as good as most players in the league. I would love to see him in M's uniform. But, they don't go big. It's rare.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I'm glad that he's not pitching anymore. But do have 2 questions, can you still bat this season? Can you bat next season?

I know he had tommy john surgery in his rookie year and did full time bat in the next year.

But this was to be expected. How many more games did he throw in the Baseball Classics game along with MLB this season.

QWERTY

Reaction score
This is huge news. Probably means he wont get an absolute monster biggest ever contract this upcoming off-season. Honestly I'd be shocked if he even pitched at an elite level anymore. How long can a human bat and pitch at an elite level? Babe Ruth couldn't do it for long. Maybe Ohtani can't either. Dream scenario: the mariners sign him and have him hit not pitch.
Ohtani will still get a better contract than Judge.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's basically the second coming of Babe Ruth, who was a dominant pitcher for his first few seasons, until management needed his bat to bring in the fans.
Unlike Ruth they changed the rules so he could DH and pitch in the same game.
I hated that because it's unfair to anyone else who could hit and pitch which isn't
many but they don't get more stats from hitting on days they pitched because of
rules that had been there for over 100 years at least.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Ohtani right now is a much better batter than he is a pitcher. He was on course for a long-term contract and I doubt he was going to finish the contract being a pitcher anyways.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Unlike Ruth they changed the rules so he could DH and pitch in the same game.
I hated that because it's unfair to anyone else who could hit and pitch which isn't
many but they don't get more stats from hitting on days they pitched because of
rules that had been there for over 100 years at least.

What you mean is before, when he was a pitcher, when he was changed out, he wasn't able to bat anymore.

unfair to anyone else who could hit and pitch? There's no one else that can do that. Sure Bumgarner is one of the players that can hit HR, but he was a .170 carrer hitter.

What Ohtani have probably not face is hit by pitch. (retaliation) etc.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like he is still going to bat for the team. He's going to be a huge free agent target this off season. Bet he goes to the Yanks or Dodgers... :rolleyes:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
What you mean is before, when he was a pitcher, when he was changed out, he wasn't able to bat anymore.

unfair to anyone else who could hit and pitch? There's no one else that can do that. Sure Bumgarner is one of the players that can hit HR, but he was a .170 carrer hitter.

What Ohtani have probably not face is hit by pitch. (retaliation) etc.
I'm not sure I may have this wrong somewhat but they did change the rule so Ohtani could stay in and hit if taken out as a pitcher..
I just happened to see this but it's muddled to me.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think it was El Hombre who said to pay him 60 million a year for 10 years. That's what you'd have to pay and elite hitter and a damn good pitcher.

Paying Ohtani as a pitcher & a hitter gives you an extra roster spot.

I'd do it and give him 2024 off, maybe have him DH late in the season, then you've got a Superstar to go along with your other Superstar and Ace pitchers that will fill the seats at T-Mobile and sell merchandise.