Our Offensive Line will be worse than last season?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I feel like I'm being trolled but I'll bite.

I am concerned about the OL, but I don't think it will be worse than last year.

We have Bailey backing up Okung and not McQuistan, and Bailey will most likely have improved with experience, and will likely improve with more.

Sweezy should get better. I know I've been impatient about it ,but I read somewhere he has only started 18 games. That didn't sound right, but it sure is. The guy didn't play OL in college at all.....18 games in the Pros is all he has for experience. Suffice it say, he'll get better with experience.

If Unger stays healthy, he'll be better. If not, we have LJP backing him up, and he was good last year, so we won't lose too much either way.

RT is a question mark, but I'm confident Winston will give us at least as much, if not better production from the position than we got last year. He's also very durable.

If Harvin can stay healthy, we won't have to worry about the Rams game so much. He gets instant separation, and their secondary still has question marks. Wilson will be able to unload the ball more quickly, and if they shift some guys to watch Harvin, other guys will make them pay.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Woah dawg

Classic Tokadub!

I see players being held out of practice and get nervous for this season. Then I realize it's TC and they're extra cautious with everyone and calm the F down.

The sky is always falling with Toke. And his predictions are usually wrong. Like his one about Mike Bennett. Maybe toke's tirades are why we win!?

hawker84

Reaction score
Didn't we beat the Rams twice last year?

Did we not beat the Niners twice last year?

Didn't we beat the Cardinals last year?

and the Panthers?

All with very good defenses and outstanding D Lines for the record, and a lot of them with at least half our starting line out.

We'll be just fine.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I thought winning the Super Bowl would cure the .net paranoia/confidence issues there have been in the past. Seems like it hasn't.......plenty of guys right out on that ledge again. :lol:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Lmao!

Hey everyone, just forget it. The season is over, TokaCrack has spoken. Not a single snap of football has been played and the Oline is already going to cost the Hawks the season.

The Rams reference... that's pretty funny really. A single situation in which the Rams TOTALLY sold out on the line for the entire game. Some drops by the hot WR created a situation where conversions weren't made, but a couple were and the Rams paid for it. This was the Seahawks worst game of the year and they won it on the road.

OMG the Hawks didn't murder the Rams, give back the Lombardi. The Rams were not able to repeat the losing effort in week 17, in fact the Hawks embarrassed the Rams playing vanilla as ever.

This line still has Okung, Unger and Sweezy (who is improving every game he plays) I highly doubt that after the Oline's injury riddled 2013 season that they could possibly be any worse.

I admit that it is the one area that improvement is needed and strangely enough I have very little concern for it overall.

uncle fester

Reaction score
So much rage in the OP. And all before preseason game 1. I worry for your blood pressure, seriously.

To be fair though, the Rams D line will be killing everyone this season. Don't feel like they're only gonna be picking on Wilson.

Basis4day

Reaction score
uncle fester":1miblbhk said:
So much rage in the OP. And all before preseason game 1. I worry for your blood pressure, seriously.

To be fair though, the Rams D line will be killing everyone this season. Don't feel like they're only gonna be picking on Wilson.

That's his schtick.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
OkieHawk":tejuurhg said:
J.R. Sweezy = probably more penalties per play than Giacomini.

Here is one of the more glaring idiocies you have spewed. The links I've provided are for career penalties between Sweezy and Giacomini, since you are too stoned to actually use facts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... penalties/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... penalties/

Well, the most 'scientific' comparison is G's 2012 to S's 2013 based on a full year of games played, but even doing that, it's a 14 to 7 count in Sweezy's favor. Injury aside, G did seem to 'get it' more in 2013, making fewer stoopid plays than prior years. If Cable is to be trusted, and I don't think there's a reasonable argument not to at this point, Sweezy is on the cusp of a breakout year - only his 3rd playing O-line. That said, it could be assumed that 2014 will be the year S 'gets it', with his penalties starting to decline through smarter play.

...but this isn't really a thread where logic was used upfront, sooo I'm just gonna back away slowly now that I've wasted 15 mins considering stats. :escape:

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1n2xipcv said:
When did Sweeze become a penalty machine? Our guys DO have some strengths, ya know?!

So last season Sweezy had 4 of his 7 holding penalties in the first 5 games which is probably why his penalties are standing out to me so much.

Sweezy started 15 games for a total of 7 penalties.

It seems Sweezy cleaned up his play after the rough start.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SweeJ.00/penalties/

Giacomini did have 8 penalties in 9 starts so he is in fact worst with penalties than Sweezy my mistake.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GiacBr20/penalties/

Okung had 10 penalties in the 8 games he started

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OkunRu20/penalties//

Unger had 5 penalties in the 13 games he started

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UngeMa20.htm

Carpenter had 6 penalties in the 10 games he started

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarpJa00/penalties/

So if you average their penalty rate for games started from best to worst these 5 guys are:

1) Unger = 38.5%
2) Sweezy = 46.7%
3) Carpenter = 60%
4) Okung = 80%
5) Giacomini = 88.8%

So Sweezy is actually looking pretty good, I just remember what he did those first 5 games last season.

kearly

Reaction score
Most of the reason last year's line sucked was because Bowie and McQuistan spent way too much time at tackle, and because Unger played all season hurt. Now Bowie and McQuistan are gone, and Unger is healthy.

Tom Cable has not had a ton of success with young OL, but his track record with veterans, even vets who failed elsewhere, has been pretty good.

This year's line group has more of a veteran feel to it. My hunch is that we'll really miss Breno's run blocking, but our pass protection will be considerably improved from addition by subtraction (Bowie, McQuistan). The lack of youth on the line compared to last year will probably help reduce the penalty count as well.

I wouldn't say I'm rosy on our OL, but we just had our team win a SB with maybe the worst OL season in team history. So even if our line is average, even if it's merely mediocre, the Seahawks will feel a positive difference in 2014.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":awu0hafi said:
I think Tokadub is trolling at this point. Originally, maybe not, but now, the terrible analysis combined with the little touches (his use of "worst" rather than "worse") have to be a put-on.

I never troll, I honestly believe our offensive line will be terrible. I broke my reasoning down into the most simple form for each player and why I feel this way. It's just my opinion which you can disagree with, but I'm not trolling.

You are correct that I used "worst" incorrectly in the title if you are just comparing the last 2 seasons. But I really feel we will be one of the "worst" O-Lines in the entire league, so in that sense we could be worst than all other teams.

Who says worse anyways, that word just sounds goofy to me for some reason.

We are also comparing the multiple players we have now compared to who we had last year, but technically the O-Line is one thing so I'm just nitpicking at this point.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2l5aofd9 said:
I think Tokadub is trolling at this point. Originally, maybe not, but now, the terrible analysis combined with the little touches (his use of "worst" rather than "worse") have to be a put-on.

He started that long ago.

Latest posts