Packers-Cowboys Divisional Game Observations/Notes …

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I’ve just got through watching the Green Bay-Dallas game from last week. Here are a few notes and observations I made that I believe are pertinent to this game tomorrow (in no particular order) …

1) I was surprised as just how much emphasis the Packers made upon establishing the run early on in that game. 7 of the first 8 plays in the game were runs to Eddie Lacy and early on, Green Bay heavily favored the run. I charted it and had the play selection in the game as: 38 pass plays … 26 run plays, but it wasn’t until midway through the 3rd quarter that the Packers really began throwing the ball more than they ran it. It seemed to me to be a bit of the Seahawks formula – beat the defense in to submission with the run early and gash them with the big plays later in the game. With how banged up Rodgers looked out there, I fully expect the Packers to employ a similar approach in this game.

2) Speaking of the calf, it was clearly affecting Rodgers in that game. He made some great plays, but also sailed several throws in that game, threw low at times, and was just flat out off target as well. I must have counted 7 or 8 miscues like that throughout the game that were all on Rodgers. In connection with that, I was absolutely shocked at just how little consistent pressure the Cowboys were bringing. I could not believe them not making Aaron Rodgers move at all. Sure he got sacked a couple of times, but he was basically planted like a sequoia tree the entire game. He did not move. The pressure that did come came right up the middle. Therein lies a huge key to this game. Rodgers said that he felt OK moving to his left. So if I were Quinn, I'd working on flushing him to his right. Knock him off his spot. Make him run. Make him gimp away from Bennett, Avril, etc. on that leg. I know we usually pressure with just 4, but I’m curious to see if Quinn is going to look to blitz a bit more in this game, as I believe doing so (and making Rodgers run) could have quite an effect on the overall effectiveness of their passing game.

3) It appeared to me at times as if Green Bay’s receivers were having a lot of trouble with press coverage. Where they really started having success (from what I could see) was later in the game when Dallas got away from being real physical with the Packer receivers. That bodes well for us on Sunday.

4) Everybody in the world is focused on Aaron Rodgers, but from what I can see what REALLY won the day for Green Bay was their offensive line. In combination with lead blocking from Kuhn, those guys were blasting the Cowboys off the ball on big runs (especially early in the 3rd quarter). Bakhtiari, Lang, and those guys were the true MVP’s of that game. The Hawks CANNOT allow those guys to get the kind of 2nd Level penetration that Green Bay’s OL did in that game … and I don’t think that they will.

5) Their defensive line was fairly impressive early, dominating the line of scrimmage. It looked like to me that many times early on Green Bay was stacking the box and focusing on shutting down DeMarco Murray and the run. As the game moved on though (especially in to the 3rd quarter), that certainly changed. Those guys looked as if they were getting pretty gassed by that point. The Green Bay defense got gashed for some big runs by Murray late in the game. Peppers and Matthews were beasts throughout the game, but no one else really blew me away with their play making ability. The eye test confirmed what the numbers also say – this is an average NFL defense.

6) In terms of Green Bay’s secondary – I was seeing a lot of open pasture out there. Tony Romo had a lot of success finding holes in that zone. They got burned a few times for big gains on quick throws over the middle. The Legion of Boom they are not. If the Offensive Line gives Russell Wilson the time, there will be plays to be made down field. Given the pressure that Seattle will undoubtedly experience early, I’d look to hit the Packer defense with a lot of smoke screens (the Cowboys had some effectiveness with screens in that game).

After watching this game, I feel a whole lot more relaxed about tomorrow. As always, I believe the game plan will be to first focus on shutting Lacy and the run down, making this team 1 dimensional, and forcing a hobbled Aaron Rodgers to beat them. From what I saw last Sunday, I’d say the Seahawks will have a lot of success with that formula and against this Packers team. I would say that Rodgers and the Packers were quite lucky to escape Lambeau Field with a win last Sunday. After seeing what I saw, I think they’ll have to have a whole field of 4 leaf clovers to do so against the Hawks and a fired up 12th Man.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Once again, nice work and thank you for all the time you put in. .NET and members benefit from your analysis. :th2thumbs:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Nice analysis,

Regarding the Pack DL, like most teams that face the Hawks, their DL will start off strong, but by 2nd half, when their heart rates gown, they usually don't have the energy to have the same tenacity there was in the 1st half.
Thank, Russell and his Houdini ways for tiring them out.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
ivotuk":f1viov32 said:
Once again, nice work and thank you for all the time you put in. .NET and members benefit from your analysis. :th2thumbs:

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Especially with them forecasting rain tomorrow, I'm going to stick to my guns in saying that the #1 priority/concern for the Hawks defense tomorrow will be on stopping Eddie Lacy and the running game. Lacy does remind me somewhat of Lynch -- a big, power back who runs with a lot of tenacity (although I'd argue he's a notch or 2 below Marshawn). The Hawks held Lacy to just 34 yards on the ground (2.8 yds/carry) and Green Bay to just 80 yards on the ground overall. If they do that again tomorrow, it's going to be a very long day for Rodgers and the Packers.

kearly

Reaction score
Feels like Seattle has to beat themselves for Green Bay to win. The Hawks are playing such good football right now that this scenario seems very unlikely. Just tackle Lacy, just tackle Cobb, just don't turn the ball over, and Seattle will have a 99% chance to win.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":2fvcbia8 said:
Feels like Seattle has to beat themselves for Green Bay to win. The Hawks are playing such good football right now that this scenario seems very unlikely. Just tackle Lacy, just tackle Cobb, just don't turn the ball over, and Seattle will have a 99% chance to win.

I completely agree. I'm in the process of re-watching the Hawks-Panthers game right now ... and let me tell you it's a real interesting experience watching that right after watching the Packers-Cowboys. If you watch those games back to back, the differences are fairly pronounced. If the Hawks bring that same kind of intensity tomorrow (and come on, who are we kidding -- they most certainly will) and don't beat themselves ... Seattle's players WILL be able to take the Mariners up on their offer to caravan down to Arizona in 2 weeks together.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I am watching our second niner game and seeing some of the stunts we pulled on them in slow mo for effect on the sacks. It is interesting. Their offensive line is great but just not fantastic. Probably will look at the Carolina game in the morning tomorrow. Thanks for this input too. Go Hawks.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
But Carolina moved the ball quite efficiently on us most of the game. Cam completed many passes against Simon for first downs.

I can see Green Bay apply the exact same formula: Short throws (especially opposing side of Sherman), short runs and just move the chains ... then they take their chances, once they reach the red zone.

I still think the key to the game will be tackling. We must continue to tackle extremely well and limit yards after contact.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
pmedic920":bnifppvf said:
Thanks Scanner.
I hope like hell things turn out as you think they will.

As do I. I honestly believe they will though and that this Hawks team will grind the "any given Sunday" bug in to the turf with great glee.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Carolina forced the Hawks to honor the threat of Newton running for the entire game. They had nothing to lose and it allowed a little success in the interest of trading the ability to keep Newton from having a big game on the ground.

The Packers have to go toe to toe, there is no read option to worry about and that will play into an extremely fast defense's hand. Especially with the quality tackling at all levels of the defense.

The Hawks can get crazy aggressive and after giving up a few early runs to Lacy, they will shut that down. There is no play action pass with a gimped QB and the pass rush is going to either get holding calls on the Packers OLine or they are going to get to Rodgers while forcing him to release the ball long before the WRs can get to a spot worth damage.

It might not look like much in the beginning, heck the Packers could even have a lead in the first half, but that is not likely and it won't last with the resiliency of the Hawks.

Oh yeah.. the GB defense still hasn't stopped a read option team. I think Kaep just broke another big run a minute ago. Gonna be a hell of a game.

Dallas can't tackle for their lives by the way. Nor can they rush the QB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
1. Spot on. I too saw the run game to begin and expect us to get that too.
2. Rogers was out of sorts early, but Lacey going out with Asthma did as much to mess up the Pack as anything. Seattle is saying all the right things about Rodgers, but I expect them to shoot some pressure up the middle and see how his wheels are.
I will also mention that there is nothing to be gained about our pass rush by watching the Carolina game. Our strategy was to push the pocket and keep Cam in front of us. An immobile Rogers will get a very different look. Yes, Seattle will blitz more. Rodgers was unreal when Dallas sent 4, but pretty innacurate when they blitzed.

3. Their WRs do struggle with press. Also, Rodgers is throwing to the edges a lot less with his bum leg. Bodes well for cover 3 press.
4. Green Bay's line has looked good all year. At home. Without the get off advantage, that run game should be a tic behind.
5. With the noise advantage, Green Bay's line did stop Murray early. But Peppers is old, and Dallas doesn't stop running. So yeah, they got tired. More than average, that D is just a step slow.

6. I didn't really learn anything about that secondary we can use in Seattle. Dallas is a much different receiver group, I doubt our guys get the deep respect they gave to Dallas when they would go quarters. Except when Capers blitzes, those looks should show up vs us too. They are a bit like the Cardinals, they don't really respect Russ and will think winning this game depends on confusing him.

Dallas has a suck secondary and still had a chance to win that game. Shitty tackling and the ever present Demarco Murray fumbling issue bit their ass. Green Bay may start the game running just as much as vs Dallas, but their nature is to pass, and the game will end with them having thrown a lot more than run. I fear Starks more than Lacey as a runner.

If Green Bay runs, and stops the run, they win. It's that simple to me. Fortunately, we are better at both of those tasks than they are. Lucky for us our passing game is a lot more about Russ than our receivers, with the wind forecast tomorrow it might be kind of like the Saints game, just kind of waiting on attrition to take it's toll on the Pack.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hgvgn0fw said:
1. Spot on. I too saw the run game to begin and expect us to get that too.
2. Rogers was out of sorts early, but Lacey going out with Asthma did as much to mess up the Pack as anything. Seattle is saying all the right things about Rodgers, but I expect them to shoot some pressure up the middle and see how his wheels are.
I will also mention that there is nothing to be gained about our pass rush by watching the Carolina game. Our strategy was to push the pocket and keep Cam in front of us. An immobile Rogers will get a very different look. Yes, Seattle will blitz more. Rodgers was unreal when Dallas sent 4, but pretty innacurate when they blitzed.

3. Their WRs do struggle with press. Also, Rodgers is throwing to the edges a lot less with his bum leg. Bodes well for cover 3 press.
4. Green Bay's line has looked good all year. At home. Without the get off advantage, that run game should be a tic behind.
5. With the noise advantage, Green Bay's line did stop Murray early. But Peppers is old, and Dallas doesn't stop running. So yeah, they got tired. More than average, that D is just a step slow.

6. I didn't really learn anything about that secondary we can use in Seattle. Dallas is a much different receiver group, I doubt our guys get the deep respect they gave to Dallas when they would go quarters. Except when Capers blitzes, those looks should show up vs us too. They are a bit like the Cardinals, they don't really respect Russ and will think winning this game depends on confusing him.

Dallas has a suck secondary and still had a chance to win that game. Shitty tackling and the ever present Demarco Murray fumbling issue bit their ass. Green Bay may start the game running just as much as vs Dallas, but their nature is to pass, and the game will end with them having thrown a lot more than run. I fear Starks more than Lacey as a runner.

If Green Bay runs, and stops the run, they win. It's that simple to me. Fortunately, we are better at both of those tasks than they are. Lucky for us our passing game is a lot more about Russ than our receivers, with the wind forecast tomorrow it might be kind of like the Saints game, just kind of waiting on attrition to take it's toll on the Pack.

Thanks Scott. Glad to know that my eyes ... and your eyes were basically seeing the same things. My overall feeling watching Green Bay in that game was MEH. Hopefully I still feel the same way about that team by about 4pm tomorrow. If what we saw out of Green Bay last week holds true in this game ... I'm thinking we'll all be feeling SUPER when it's all said and done.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3m23w3rr said:
Lucky for us our passing game is a lot more about Russ than our receivers, with the wind forecast tomorrow it might be kind of like the Saints game, just kind of waiting on attrition to take it's toll on the Pack.

I've had this thought a few times too, how this game could feel like last year's Saints playoff game. Payton was desperate in that game. McCarthy will be desperate too.

rideaducati

Reaction score
When you guys watched the Packer game from last week, did the Packers look slow right out of the gate? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like EVERY other team looks a LOT slower than the Seahawks both on offense and defense.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":3bl4t4eh said:
Scottemojo":3bl4t4eh said:
Lucky for us our passing game is a lot more about Russ than our receivers, with the wind forecast tomorrow it might be kind of like the Saints game, just kind of waiting on attrition to take it's toll on the Pack.

I've had this thought a few times too, how this game could feel like last year's Saints playoff game. Payton was desperate in that game. McCarthy will be desperate too.

I agree. If Seattle ends up getting the heavy rains and upwards to 40 MPH winds that they are forecasting, that's going to put a huge emphasis on the run game for both sides and could potentially put a real damper on the passing game. And that would play right in to the Seahawks hands.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
rideaducati":3dvi7wiq said:
When you guys watched the Packer game from last week, did the Packers look slow right out of the gate? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like EVERY other team looks a LOT slower than the Seahawks both on offense and defense.

They definitely don't have the speed on defense that Seattle does, that's for sure. That kind of Techmo Bowl like pursuit to the ball and closing speed that the Hawks defense has -- I didn't really see that from the Packer defenders as a whole. Offensively, I would say that they don't have a whole lot of real burners in terms of their WR's/TE's either. It should be a fairly favorable matchup for the Hawks IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":286eyul7 said:
........If Green Bay runs, and stops the run, they win. It's that simple to me. Fortunately, we are better at both of those tasks than they are. Lucky for us our passing game is a lot more about Russ than our receivers, with the wind forecast tomorrow it might be kind of like the Saints game, just kind of waiting on attrition to take it's toll on the Pack.
Agree. We were somewhat vulnerable to the run up the middle vs. Carolina, but some of that had to do with Newton and protecting the edge against him. I see our D pinching inside more this game to shut Lacey down early and often. I also don't think they can stop Marshawn as they couldn't stop Murray (I would've run him 35-40 times in that game if I were Dullass).
It's rare that the more physical team doesn't win. If the Hawks keep their turnovers to one or none, they win going away IMO.