per espn Clowney lowering price to 17-18M

niveky

Reaction score
I feel like the F.O. Really needs to get a deal done now..they could front load a contract..which they normally do with and/or add bonus and get him that APR pretty easily i feel like. Sure, they could maybe wiggle a mil or 2 MAYBE..but just get it done at this point...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/289 ... ce-17m-18m

nanomoz

Reaction score
Get it done, John. Get it done.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Time to stop farting around and get this done. Now

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why not wait till he meets our price?
He lowered and will lower again.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Appyhawk":jorsgiz4 said:
We HAVE waited and he HAS met our price.
Get it signed and sealed ASAP and let's get on with the job of putting our championship quality roster together.

Pray tell.. how do you know what our price is that he has apparently met?

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I just have a feeling he does not want to be here. Wasn’t there a report earlier saying that the Hawks offered him 18 plus a few weeks ago? I can’t remember for sure but I recall reading that before. If that’s the case it would seem he is not interested in playing with the Hawks. Hope I’m wrong because I like his play

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1245433013191634944[/tweet]

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
BubbaGump":3k0t1w1w said:
I just have a feeling he does not want to be here. Wasn’t there a report earlier saying that the Hawks offered him 18 plus a few weeks ago? I can’t remember for sure but I recall reading that before. If that’s the case it would seem he is not interested in playing with the Hawks. Hope I’m wrong because I like his play
He's just trying to get top dollar. Clowney was the guy who pulled up to training camp with a Brinks truck after all. He's trying to create a bidding war for his services.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3e1lillt said:
BubbaGump":3e1lillt said:
He's just trying to get top dollar. Clowney was the guy who pulled up to training camp with a Brinks truck after all. He's trying to create a bidding war for his services.

I'm pretty sure it was Jalen Ramsey who did the Brinks truck.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jale ... -contract/

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":36g86u4j said:
BubbaGump":36g86u4j said:
I hope your right. I started freaking about not signing him a week ago! If it wasn’t for the corona virus, this waiting game would of made me a wreck awhile ago! I hope they get him under contract.

TAB420

Reaction score
I think the latest signing is a sign we are not getting him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This whole negotiation is difficult to understand, it's got to be terms of the deal that are the sticker if they are close on value of the deal, or they are a good ways apart.

Sort of think/agree that the Mayowa signing means Clowney won't get done here. Hope they can get Griffen done if no Clowney.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I dont think this indicates Clowney is lost.

The Hawks still have 2 million more in space than they did three days ago. And with Clowney last season, the Hawks had the second-worst pass rush in the NFL.

They needed to add several pieces in addition to Clowney.

Now when they sign E. Griffen, I'll buy it.

As it stands now, they've lost Woods and Q. Jeff, and signed two dudes that are rotational leos in Irvin and Mayowa.

This article went live about an hour ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...owney-and-seahawks-may-revisit-long-term-deal

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Maven kind of covered all the bases in that article.
"As a result, when free agency kicked off with the legal tampering period on March 16, the offers Clowney thought he would receive didn't come. Unable to hit the jackpot as he hoped, he started considering short-term deals at a far cheaper salary than the initial $18.5 million per year deal Seattle offered between the combine and free agency."

If that's the case what's the holdup?

He then adds: "As for the Seahawks, they've held firm with a short-term deal reportedly in the $13-14 million range. Without the ability to back load the contract for salary cap reasons, general manager John Schneider was never going to approach the $20 million per year mark on a one or two-year pact."

It's Clowney's choice to stay or go, but we can't wait too long for him to make it. Two sides of a coin. Call it and let's play ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And in reality, nobody actually knows what has been offered behind closed doors. It's all speculation. That being said, it's time either get this done or move on from the guy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TAB420":nq5y6klz said:
I think the latest signing is a sign we are not getting him.

Mayowa is cheap, and only a 30% snap type of DE, so his signing means very little in regards to making a big signing, whether that be Clowney, Griffen, etc.

What the Mayowa signing does do, is send a message to Clowney that we're not waiting around for him to stop dragging his feet cause he's butthurt that no one's giving him the huge contract he thinks he's worth...........and if you listen to the interview Jon Robinson, the Titans GM yesterday (and the new team Clowney's agent is floating out there who's heavily interested) when a reporter asked him about the Titans interest in Clowney, he didn't exactly sound enthused about the 17-18M asking price.

He said what Clowney's hearing from every GM, sure we're interested, but it's hard for us to spend this kind of money when our team doctors can't get their hands on a player, and health is EVERYTHING when it comes to this kind of cap commitment.

So I applaud Schneider for not flinching as Clowney's price keeps dropping. We've got the leverage, and you know if Clowney ever gets a serious offer, his agent will call John first to see if we want to match.

So I ain't worried. If Clowney signs elsewhere? It means someone overpaid and we move on.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Didn't Seattle originally offer something like $18.5? If that was the case then what is the team waiting for?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There is no urgency. It's not like the Seahawks need to sign him to play a game tomorrow. Let him take his time. His price expectations dropped from $20M to $17-18M range. He has also agreed to allow the Seahawks to match any offer from other teams (should they choose to do so). I believe the FO trusts he would honor that. Everson Griffen has stated an interest in coming to Seattle. He is willing to wait if need be. He's not in a hurry to sign with anyone either. There really is no urgency from either side.

The draft isn't gong to change anything. If they like a player at a particular position, they will choose him regardless of need or what. They have done that in the past. There was no need to draft Christine Michael in the 2nd round with Lynch in his prime and producing. They did that anyway in 2013.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":ouw6ecnv said:
Didn't Seattle originally offer something like $18.5? If that was the case then what is the team waiting for?

There are other reports that our offer was only in the 13-14M a year range, so my guess is those reports are more accurate since Clowney is lowering his demands and we still haven't signed him.

We also don't know what the bonus/guaranteed structure looks like. Anybody can give him 17-20M a year, but if the guaranteed money isn't what he wants, doesn't matter what the per year number is.