Poll: Lamar Jackson in 2023

If Lamar Jackson hits free agency in 2023, what interest should the Seahawks have in signing him?

• 100% - Yes, of course! Do whatever you gotta do. Pay that man his money!

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 75% - Sure. I'm down, but don't overpay and risk crippling the future.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • 25% - Meh. Not much interest. Maybe at a decent price and all other options have been exhausted.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • 0% - Nope, no chance in hell. Wrong direction.

Votes: 46 43.8%

• Total voters

chrispy

Reaction score
He wants 50/yr. He'd get around 45mil with the tag anyway, so why compromise? A team desperate to make the playoffs will pay that. ...but not the Seahawks, nor should they.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
umm no.. i feel PC and JS aren't in "lets throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" for QB mode.. We'll get a QB in this next draft.
Going into the draft for a QB involves far more uncertainty than taking Jackson — who has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL.

Every college kid is a gamble. This is coming from a Bears fan who can remember first round drafting McNown, Grossman, Trubisky….with high hopes.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
He wants 50/yr. He'd get around 45mil with the tag anyway, so why compromise? A team desperate to make the playoffs will pay that. ...but not the Seahawks, nor should they.
Barring a major injury, Lamar will be in his prime by the time the Seahawks rebuild is completed over the next couple years. No need for desperation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tempting, but I feel like we'd be in the same situation as we just went through with Russ. Trying to build and maintain a playoff caliber roster with a QB that relies on his legs and elusiveness soaking up 20-25% of our cap on the downside of said legs and elusiveness.

Jackson's fun to watch for sure though.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Tempting, but I feel like we'd be in the same situation as we just went through with Russ. Trying to build and maintain a playoff caliber roster with a QB that relies on his legs and elusiveness soaking up 20-25% of our cap on the downside of said legs and elusiveness.

Jackson's fun to watch for sure though.
I half agree. He’d have to have another league MVP year for me to go as high as 45 — and Ravens would do it themselves if that were to happen. But if you could get him at 35 for 5 yrs,, he’d start around 15% of cap and get down to 10-12% in year 4 or 5.

I can understand the bitterness toward Russell Wilson on this forum, but damn. There are only 3 active QBs with a higher career QB rating — Mahomes, Rodgers, and Watson. That’s it. Give the devil his due, as they say.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree. No way does Pete invest that kind of $$ in a QB. He only needs a good QB for a run first offense. He wants money to spread out on a deep defense.
I agree it’s not gonna happen, but for a different reason. If they don’t agree to a long-term contract, the Ravens will just franchise tag him. They won’t trade him, unless he puts them in an impossible bind.

If the Seahawks could get him for the deal I am proposing, I think they would jump at it. But I also think he’ll get a better deal than that from either the Ravens or some other team.

Fade

Reaction score
If you want Lamar, you're gonna have to trade for him. And then pay him the big bucks.

The Ravens are not letting him walk for nothing. They will franchise tag him in '23 and in '24 if they have to.

chrispy

Reaction score
...just reported that he wants 250mill/5yr fully guaranteed. He turned down something close to that with 133mill guaranteed. He reps himself, no agent. There's a team that will get close to that after '23 season, but not JS.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
...just reported that he wants 250mill/5yr fully guaranteed. He turned down something close to that with 133mill guaranteed. He reps himself, no agent. There's a team that will get close to that after '23 season, but not JS.
If he actually had a professional agent instead of some amateur morons giving him advice, they would tell him there’s no way the Ravens will pay him 50 in 2023 when they can just tag him for 20.

We Bears fans have the same problem with Roquan Smith who has no agent and getting bad advice from his family. He turned down a good deal, will play for only $9.5 million this season and probably get tagged in 2023.

chrispy

Reaction score
If he actually had a professional agent instead of some amateur morons giving him advice, they would tell him there’s no way the Ravens will pay him 50 in 2023 when they can just tag him for 20.

We Bears fans have the same problem with Roquan Smith who has no agent and getting bad advice from his family. He turned down a good deal, will play for only $9.5 million this season and probably get tagged in 2023.
Franchise tag for QB next year is 45million, not 20.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Never happen. Lamar is not a UDFA looking for a 1-yr. “Prove it” contract. He’s going to get a multi-year contract. Besides, I want a 5-yr. contract as “inflation protection “.
He can easily get a multi contract but he would want the guaranteed money to be like Watsons

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Franchise tag for QB next year is 45million, not 20.
True, I was looking at WR by mistake. It’s still a big gamble to not lock in the $133 million guaranteed. He could blow out his knee next week and be up the creek. I’m thinking of Tarik Cohen of the Bears this year who never recovered from his ACL surgery and retired.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He is a running QB who does his offense like Russ.
He is taller but accuracy is bad..
Why overpay for him?You just don't..Like Baker and
all the rest.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
were not getting Lamar Jackson. its not even worth a discussion because its not in the plan. You want your franchise QB on a rookie contract, that's when you make your run

flv2

Reaction score
The QB franchise tag figure for 2022 is $29.7M. Jackson will be tagged in 2023 & 2034 if he doesn't agree terms. Overthecap currently projects next year's QB franchise tag figure to be $31.497M. Based on Overthecap's number a 2nd tag in 2024 would be $37.8M. A 3rd tag in 2025 at $54.43M wouldn't be out of the question.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
With the dumb plays yesterday, he lost a game that should have been an easy win for the Ravens. That’s not how to get the $250 million contract!

That stupid performance also cost me big in the pick’em league, but that’s another story. There were upsets in half the games yesterday. Crazy week.

Latest posts