QB controversy in 9ers land?

rlkats

Reaction score
Maulbert":3g1g6ts9 said:
Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

I think he has the possibility to be really good. The sample size is small. But I feel like we could do a ton worse at QB. On the money side of it. It is what it is. It’s the NFL, they all make a crap ton of cash. There are other players at other positions that could be labeled as “payed to much”. When Stanford got his major contract the first time everyone said he was over paid. I think it’s the nature of the beast. You pay the person your in love with. Hopefully Garappolo pans out.

Oh the only QB I would have complete faith in for that money is, brace yourself;

Tom Brady

Ouch that pains me to say. But he has proven over and over again that he is worth every penny.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Uncle Si":211hxi2l said:
5_Golden_Rings":211hxi2l said:
Uncle Si":211hxi2l said:
i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

And its legitimate. 49er fans extrapolate a few good games from JG into a career. That's not quite how it works and he will need to be better than good to keep Mullens on the sidelines.

Thus... the title of the thread.
The video posted in the original poster's thread suggested getting rid of JG and trading for Kirk Cousins. Hence the relevance to the OP.

But obviously the conversation has been about JG and Mullens.. even your first post on the topic.
Only because I was still in the process of listening to the video. Once they started yapping about Kirk Cousins I knew they were full of it.

There is only one concern with Jimmy G, and it is entirely depending on Mullens improving up to his level: and that's that both of their contracts are set up so that if Mullens overtakes him NEXT year they can swap the two with an under 5 million cap hit.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":14hsdw98 said:
Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

I have absolute faith that when he's healthy he is currently the best quarterback on the roster. You Seahawk fans just saw Mullens shred you, but you didn't see his limitations because of how inexplicably bad Seattle did in covering Dante Pettis. Outside of the two Seattle games, these are Mullens' numbers: 126-197 10 tds, 9 INTs, 1588 yards, 86.85 passer rating. Not bad, but not great.

Mullens is not as accurate as JG. He's solid, but not as good at throwing from weird angles and under pressure. He doesn't have quite the same arm strength. In pretty much every category, JG is better. Has he demonstrated that he's much better? No, not yet. Maybe he won't.

But that's what this season is for. And it's why the two contracts are what they are. If JG isn't better than Mullens by the end of next season (which I find highly unlikely), they will be able to trade him for a small cap hit. If he is better, he's staying. Even if Mullens is "almost" as good.

chris98251":14hsdw98 said:
From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.
What did you see? The two Seattle games? What about in 2017 when the team "played as a unit much more" and won five games?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mullen’s may not get the opportunity if GQ stays healthy, even if he would to have a mediocre season swinging in between kinda suck to hey there’s a flash.

Mullens became the first 49ers quarterback to throw for 220-or-more yards in eight consecutive games since Joe Montana did so in nine straight games from December 9, 1985, to December 7, 1986. He had one game-winning drive and would have had another one if the defense would have been able to hold up against the New York Giants.

Super good read here:
https://qr.ae/TWNORr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Another interesting take on GQ, just passing on the info:

https://qr.ae/TWNO2U

Leland Lundahl
Answered Sep 14, 2018
That would surprise me, John Lynch spent the last six months repeating all over the radio stations how he “single handedly fleeced the Patriots”. Would that turn out to be a mistake? Yep, just when you realize the QB he paid $27MM a year played only five games. Five games. I think the real storyline is how John Lynch did get fleeced, by Garoppolo’s agent. Because $27MM for five games? Not even 16, not even a playoff berth, nothing — just five total games. How ’bout I play for the Niners one game and John Lynch signs me to a $50MM extension? Would that be possible? He’d make a great Santa Claus for sure.

As for Garoppolo: you wanted the money, now it’s time to play ball. If you don’t have the weapons, maybe you should have taken a paycut instead of breaking the bank and promoting your dating life (how has-been is that) on TMZ. Secondly, this is Kyle Shannahan’s offense…there’s always somebody open. Kyle Shannahan is the best offensive playcaller in the league. He gets full backs open, he finds ways to get the third string tight end open, that’s how good he is. But what struck me the most in that game, is how apparent he is responsible for moving the offense almost 99% of the time. Essentially Garoppolo is just a caretaker. No wingspan on his arm, doesn’t recognize the blitz, defenses see too many tells in him, the way he sells the run with his head down, the way he sells the pass when his left leg is positioned in front, when both feet are joined it’s a run — no velocity, overthrows a lot of receivers. He made no plays in that game, it was all Shannahan’s ingenious offensive designing.

For instance, Shannahan loves to use these pocket sweeps and dumbo blocks to trap the defense into play-action and look how wide open the full back is.

Naked bootleg, the tight end releases freely uncovered and is able to earn a big gain.

Overall, Garoppolo just didn’t shred that defense, he hardly made any plays. He threw three interceptions, he took too many sacks in the red-zone, there was a goal-line situation where he didn’t sneak. This is the problem with Garoppolo, no game-changing throws, no big-time throws into clouded spaces. His hands are so small he can only really do one thing and that’s wrist snap the ball to receivers in motion. Other than that, bad decision maker, no anticipation, takes unnecessary sacks, low football IQ. Bottom line: he’s a one-read quarterback.

The few throws he was able to complete were in-breaking routes in stride.

On the naked boot he botches a throw with bad timing, uncorks a floater and the ball is too slow to get there.

Same situation here, bootleg, but I don’t know what he’s doing. is it a keep or a live play? Why is he running all the way to the boundary with the ball? The X over the top is open. He seems to have trouble actually executing a play-action and a bootleg, normally you’re supposed to step back up between the hash marks and unleash. With his lollygagging he closed out all of his receivers’ windows.

He took like five sacks in this game, gets bogged down too easily, seems to have found a tendency to break-free to his left when the pocket gets noisy but U-turns his whole body completely instead of dropping a step in a half backwards. Circus gagging, footwork really needs some polishing.

This time same thing, it’s too easy to get to him, you just know by the way he positions his left leg it’s a throw. Safety blitz, that time he never saw him.

It’s hard to tell if he doesn’t feel the pressure or if he’s simply incapable of stepping up into the creases. That time the elephant end just rushes around the arc, plenty of space to throw inside the pocket. He got lucky on that TD.

Here come the blitzes! Here come the blitzes! Two picks against the blitz in that game, he was just awful at reading them. First one it’s from the right side, corner screaming, and he throws to his right! Second time tango blitz up the middle, the space is wide open but he checks to the left with a terrible release. He uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to a lot tipped balls. The thing is, his velocity is so low, these throws are hanging way too long in the air.

Cover 2 this time, which means the combo routes are going to be neutralized, the wing back is open on the quick hitch but Garoppolo doesn’t see him. He undershoots too many passes in double, sometimes triple coverage.

Deep accuracy an issue, this is a rub combo, Kittel runs the spot, he’s open but the two don’t connect, that pass sails way over his head.

Well, it’s a good thing they are playing the Lions this sunday because for $28MM this season the Patriots have Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Trent Brown. John Lynch is the type of general manager that will get Jay Cutler out of retirement.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":a709at23 said:

Leland Lundahl
Answered Sep 14, 2018
That would surprise me, John Lynch spent the last six months repeating all over the radio stations how he “single handedly fleeced the Patriots”. Would that turn out to be a mistake? Yep, just when you realize the QB he paid $27MM a year played only five games. Five games. I think the real storyline is how John Lynch did get fleeced, by Garoppolo’s agent. Because $27MM for five games? Not even 16, not even a playoff berth, nothing — just five total games. How ’bout I play for the Niners one game and John Lynch signs me to a $50MM extension? Would that be possible? He’d make a great Santa Claus for sure.

As for Garoppolo: you wanted the money, now it’s time to play ball. If you don’t have the weapons, maybe you should have taken a paycut instead of breaking the bank and promoting your dating life (how has-been is that) on TMZ. Secondly, this is Kyle Shannahan’s offense…there’s always somebody open. Kyle Shannahan is the best offensive playcaller in the league. He gets full backs open, he finds ways to get the third string tight end open, that’s how good he is. But what struck me the most in that game, is how apparent he is responsible for moving the offense almost 99% of the time. Essentially Garoppolo is just a caretaker. No wingspan on his arm, doesn’t recognize the blitz, defenses see too many tells in him, the way he sells the run with his head down, the way he sells the pass when his left leg is positioned in front, when both feet are joined it’s a run — no velocity, overthrows a lot of receivers. He made no plays in that game, it was all Shannahan’s ingenious offensive designing.

For instance, Shannahan loves to use these pocket sweeps and dumbo blocks to trap the defense into play-action and look how wide open the full back is.

Naked bootleg, the tight end releases freely uncovered and is able to earn a big gain.

Overall, Garoppolo just didn’t shred that defense, he hardly made any plays. He threw three interceptions, he took too many sacks in the red-zone, there was a goal-line situation where he didn’t sneak. This is the problem with Garoppolo, no game-changing throws, no big-time throws into clouded spaces. His hands are so small he can only really do one thing and that’s wrist snap the ball to receivers in motion. Other than that, bad decision maker, no anticipation, takes unnecessary sacks, low football IQ. Bottom line: he’s a one-read quarterback.

On the naked boot he botches a throw with bad timing, uncorks a floater and the ball is too slow to get there.

Same situation here, bootleg, but I don’t know what he’s doing. is it a keep or a live play? Why is he running all the way to the boundary with the ball? The X over the top is open. He seems to have trouble actually executing a play-action and a bootleg, normally you’re supposed to step back up between the hash marks and unleash. With his lollygagging he closed out all of his receivers’ windows.

He took like five sacks in this game, gets bogged down too easily, seems to have found a tendency to break-free to his left when the pocket gets noisy but U-turns his whole body completely instead of dropping a step in a half backwards. Circus gagging, footwork really needs some polishing.

This time same thing, it’s too easy to get to him, you just know by the way he positions his left leg it’s a throw. Safety blitz, that time he never saw him.

It’s hard to tell if he doesn’t feel the pressure or if he’s simply incapable of stepping up into the creases. That time the elephant end just rushes around the arc, plenty of space to throw inside the pocket. He got lucky on that TD.

Here come the blitzes! Here come the blitzes! Two picks against the blitz in that game, he was just awful at reading them. First one it’s from the right side, corner screaming, and he throws to his right! Second time tango blitz up the middle, the space is wide open but he checks to the left with a terrible release. He uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to a lot tipped balls. The thing is, his velocity is so low, these throws are hanging way too long in the air.

Cover 2 this time, which means the combo routes are going to be neutralized, the wing back is open on the quick hitch but Garoppolo doesn’t see him. He undershoots too many passes in double, sometimes triple coverage.

Deep accuracy an issue, this is a rub combo, Kittel runs the spot, he’s open but the two don’t connect, that pass sails way over his head.

Well, it’s a good thing they are playing the Lions this sunday because for $28MM this season the Patriots have Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Trent Brown. John Lynch is the type of general manager that will get Jay Cutler out of retirement.

Dang, all of this time I was mislead by a niners homer here that said he had NO fatal flaws.
Hmmmm.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Lol. There's absolutely no QB controversy in SF.

If JG stinks it up one could emerge but you could say that about ever QB who isn't a long entrenched starter and doesn't have guaranteed money left on their deal.

Maulbert":2coch6g1 said:

I just don't see it.

Anyone who doesn't have any doubt is dumb or lying. I've seen it in a small sample size, but that's a huge, huge caveat on seeing it.

toffee":2coch6g1 said:

Leland Lundahl
Answered Sep 14, 2018

Th first sentence is just a lie, and even makes up a quote that's in quotation marks and everything and simply isn't true. I stopped reading after that. Sorry man.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":107883wg said:
Dude plays 7 meaningless games and gets a massive contract. Hilarious

I'd have been concerned if I was a 9er fan.

This year will decide if it was great foresight or simple panic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, they took a huge chance on a lot of promise and very little proof that he deserved that much coin.

rlkats

Reaction score
Slick":3h4ikh50 said:
Is it true that Jimmy Garrapopla has a thing for balloon-sized knockers?

Aaaaaaand is there something wrong with that? Big balloon-sized knockers can be fun.

chris98251

Reaction score
rlkats":852w6sta said:
Slick":852w6sta said:

Aaaaaaand is there something wrong with that? Big balloon-sized knockers can be fun.

Except when they start leaking and the Boob looks like a listing ship.

rlkats

Reaction score
chris98251":11ckmxky said:
rlkats":11ckmxky said:
Slick":11ckmxky said:

Except when they start leaking and the Boob looks like a listing ship.

Hahahaha yes sir yes sir.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
rlkats":10zg8kv2 said:
I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess

Most teams? Doubtful.

He could probably start on some teams - however, the Niners have had some good offensive games with JG, Mullens, and Hoyer in the past few years (some bad too - but at least one good/great offensive game with each of them).

I give Shannahan the credit for that - and I'd be willing to bet with most coaches, Mullens is a below average QB.

No controversy IMO - this is the first time the Niners will have fielded a competent NFL roster in years, so the reins will definitely go to JG - and if it doesn't go well, which is definitely a possibility, they will move on from him next year IMO.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind to have Mullens as backup to Russ.

rlkats

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2obwf6cw said:
rlkats":2obwf6cw said:
I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess

Most teams? Doubtful.

He could probably start on some teams - however, the Niners have had some good offensive games with JG, Mullens, and Hoyer in the past few years (some bad too - but at least one good/great offensive game with each of them).

I give Shannahan the credit for that - and I'd be willing to bet with most coaches, Mullens is a below average QB.

No controversy IMO - this is the first time the Niners will have fielded a competent NFL roster in years, so the reins will definitely go to JG - and if it doesn't go well, which is definitely a possibility, they will move on from him next year IMO.

I can agree that it is likely Kyle has a big part of Mullen’s success so to speak. Just like McVay has a large part on your QB’s success.