QB controversy in 9ers land?

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":e5yh16w2 said:
Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

Gotta have faith.

And the reason being is that what someone has done more than a few times over and over can be considered a benchmark that you can go back to and say "yeah, he's done it".

There never was a 5 game streak in Alex Smith's career that could have yielded him a $30 million/year contract (not even 2017, but even so that playoff loss was the dagger). Smith is my "son" forever, but at best he has maybe 16 games in his total career that were franchise QB like that you'd never question........let alone being brand new to a team devoid of a lot of talent. The only thing JG has had over Smith in *San Francisco* was an elite playcaller, but don't think that matters a ton if you don't have the goods and are brand new to the team.

Why bring up Smith? One he was a long time 49ers starter who showed he was at least good enough to take you to the playoffs and had a vastly superior second half to first half of his career, perhaps in the history of the game. If he doesn't play another down he will retire with 94 wins, which isn't bad considering where he was 9 years ago.

As far as Kaepernick, leave it to the Seattle Seahawk fans to put all the necessary chinks in the armor for 49er fans from the 42-13 game onwards (if not before). While the rest of the NFL was drinking the kool aid in 2012 and 2013, Seahawk fans saw Kap at his absolute worst and went a little too far in projecting his negative traits as a s**** QB.

About the only great thing about Kap was on a loaded team he was a real stud. If you could create enough mismatches, he was a real problem. He was an economy version of Patrick Mahomes, but also with an economy offensive coordinator.....

Now getting back to Jimmy, I see a QB who has more poise, release talent, ability to throw receivers open far more than this franchise has seen since Steve Young was running the show. When the Niners were getting blown out by the Chiefs, I still believed very much he could mount a comeback. Haven't had that feeling in a very long time.

I talk about it all the time, but the eye test is so important for me in evaluating QBs. It cuts through the swath of stats, win/loss record, QB rating, etc.

Eye test, Jimmy is a baller. I'll take his Vikings tape 50 times over Smith's tape in a number of his wins.

As for injury history, he's somewhat snake bitten that he had gotten hurt during the Brady suspension and then had a fluke injury only 8 NFL starts later (2 years and a new team later mind you), that now the perception is the guy can't stay healthy. There's tape of Jimmy taking some big hits against the Bills (patriots as backup), Texans, Cowboys preseason that are just being ignored for the sake of pushing a narrative.

Who knows the truth? We'll find out. What could suck this year more than last year is all of this "perception cloud" that would have been non existent if he never got hurt. Maybe Jimmy will be overprotected by the playcalling and/or his own style of play.

For one I wouldn't mind it if it came to that. End of the day you either believe someone can play or not, and there's way more evidence that Jimmy G is going to be a very good QB versus anyone that could have been drafted since 2017 or available in free agency. Kirk Cousins with Saquon Barkley would make a nice little offense but not much hope in January.....

If Wilson was "fragile" you'd still take him over Jackson, Clipboard Jesus, no??

NINEster

Reaction score
BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

2005 rookie, 2007 injured had surgery, 2008 missed the entire season.........2009 and 2010 benched in a few spots.

2013-2018 a lot better. Not many games missed.

I like subliminally that the anti-49er fanbase is implying that Jimmy's durability is the biggest question mark on him. Would you want him QBing the Niners or the indestructible Eli Manning right now?

Right.

NINEster

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2rwvign4 said:
rlkats":2rwvign4 said:
I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess

Most teams? Doubtful.

He could probably start on some teams - however, the Niners have had some good offensive games with JG, Mullens, and Hoyer in the past few years (some bad too - but at least one good/great offensive game with each of them).

I give Shannahan the credit for that - and I'd be willing to bet with most coaches, Mullens is a below average QB.

No controversy IMO - this is the first time the Niners will have fielded a competent NFL roster in years, so the reins will definitely go to JG - and if it doesn't go well, which is definitely a possibility, they will move on from him next year IMO.

Ramsfan more realistic than Seahawk fans on Jimmy G. The team makeup at HC/QB is a lot more similar, so maybe more respect and understanding.

For now. :irishdrinkers:

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":25s6ba0a said:
From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Only Mullens has that it factor? LMAO.

Jimmy had more IT factor alone in his first snaps as a 49er moving the ball down decisively against the Seahawk defense and throwing that TD.

The top highlights from the Titans and Jags game included plays that Mullens has still not yet shown to do. He's a decent QB, but not on the same level.

What we are seeing here is classic "he's not really that good but let's pump him up to talk s*** about who we really want to knock down", in this case Mullens. Or maybe it's a way to rationalize an undrafted QB beating the Seahawks when it's been 5 years since that happened by 1st/2nd round Niner QBs.

Let me tell you guys something.......Niner teammates say things publicly about Jimmy they'd never say about Alex and Kap. The type of praise that is a little too risky if you don't really buy into it......or would come off fake, like if Jalen Ramsey said Bortles was a great QB....

Frank Gore looked traitorous giving Andrew Luck over the top praise, but at the end of the day players always "know". Gore is the all time consummate Niner of this millenium, would go to war for his ex Niner QBs still I'm sure, but never saw fit to praise them publicly the way he did Luck or the way George Kittle and Mike McGlinchey recently praise Jimmy G.

It's ok, ignore everything. Wilson is the only good QB in the division...... :roll:

Largent80

Reaction score
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So GLAD we have Russell Wilson, and have him for at least 5 years.

Sorry (not sorry) SF, but your suffering continues.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":11c2l3yr said:
chris98251":11c2l3yr said:
From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Jimmy had more IT factor alone in his first snaps as a 49er moving the ball down decisively against the Seahawk defense and throwing that TD.

The top highlights from the Titans and Jags game included plays that Mullens has still not yet shown to do. He's a decent QB, but not on the same level.

What we are seeing here is classic "he's not really that good but let's pump him up to talk s*** about who we really want to knock down", in this case Mullens. Or maybe it's a way to rationalize an undrafted QB beating the Seahawks when it's been 5 years since that happened by 1st/2nd round Niner QBs.

Let me tell you guys something.......Niner teammates say things publicly about Jimmy they'd never say about Alex and Kap. The type of praise that is a little too risky if you don't really buy into it......or would come off fake, like if Jalen Ramsey said Bortles was a great QB....

Frank Gore looked traitorous giving Andrew Luck over the top praise, but at the end of the day players always "know". Gore is the all time consummate Niner of this millenium, would go to war for his ex Niner QBs still I'm sure, but never saw fit to praise them publicly the way he did Luck or the way George Kittle and Mike McGlinchey recently praise Jimmy G.

It's ok, ignore everything. Wilson is the only good QB in the division...... :roll:

Grab a Ho is Matt Cassel 2.0, will be forgotten soon enough and paid for a lot longer.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":3gxy6uao said:
NINEster":3gxy6uao said:
chris98251":3gxy6uao said:

Grab a Ho is Matt Cassel 2.0, will be forgotten soon enough and paid for a lot longer.

GQ is the crowning achievement of 9ers GM Lynch, if GQ lost his starting to Mullens, out goes Lynch.

May be the 9ers can trade GQ now when the stock still high, may get a first round pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin49

Reaction score
Um......no.

There is no controversy. Jimmy G is the QB.

Mullins in in a competition for the #2 QB role.

People need to just stop. I was pleasantly surprised by Mullins, but please. Its not close. Don't quote their stats to me.

That's a guy who came in at mid-season in a trade and started games without even knowing the offense vs a guy who had spend 1.5 years in the offense before his first start.

I also noted that the win-loss record wasn't quoted.

I wish the media would stop creating controversy where there isn't any. Jimmy is the QB. Period.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1s213tos said:
NINEster":1s213tos said:
chris98251":1s213tos said:

We'll see.

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":1slgyge0 said:
Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.

There was no "peeping". LOL. The entire conversation was conjecture with zero sourcing of any kind. It was the typical story you see when they are running out of stuff to talk about and want to raise a ruckus and get people talking about something.

Florio so much as admitted it when he said "people will lose their minds". That was the entire intent. Welcome to Skip Bayless school of journalism.

Now...is this year a big you? Of course it is. Niners can't have another top 5 pick next year. No question. Jimmy G though is the guy. They aren't looking at other options.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":1ckghsh1 said:
BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

2005 rookie, 2007 injured had surgery, 2008 missed the entire season.........2009 and 2010 benched in a few spots.

I like subliminally that the anti-49er fanbase is implying that Jimmy's durability is the biggest question mark on him. Would you want him QBing the Niners or the indestructible Eli Manning right now?

Right.

This isn't an anti-49ers fanbase board, I'm not an anti-49er fan, I'm a Seahawks fan, and you're little more than a sad troll.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth. This isn't 49ers faithful etc. I still laugh every time I hear the word Faithful when they stands are half empty. Unless of course, they are winning. :roll:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Marvin49":13qgwc40 said:
toffee":13qgwc40 said:
Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.

There was no "peeping". LOL. The entire conversation was conjecture with zero sourcing of any kind. It was the typical story you see when they are running out of stuff to talk about and want to raise a ruckus and get people talking about something.

Florio so much as admitted it when he said "people will lose their minds". That was the entire intent. Welcome to Skip Bayless school of journalism.

Now...is this year a big you? Of course it is. Niners can't have another top 5 pick next year. No question. Jimmy G though is the guy. They aren't looking at other options.
having top picks is great for rebuilding, see Browns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NINEster

Reaction score
Largent80":26mdlhpp said:

Perspective is an interesting thing. :mrgreen:

I'm glad ya'll got Wilson too for the long haul. :irishdrinkers:

As long as the Seahawks never quite replicate the 2013/2014 defense and pick up a real stud RB, I'll sleep well at night. Now that all of Carroll's USC players, peers, and recruits have long been drafted, it's going to be real hard to find the next Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. Lynch was a very lucky trade that will be hard to reproduce.

Seahawk fans never quite got the taste of what a 17 year dynasty looked like (like how it was in SF between '81-'98 with two coaches and two HoF QBs), so the perspective will never be the same as Niner fans. Wilson's postseason production the last few years has been subpar to put it politely. Niner fans would 90% want Wilson's head if he was our QB, and not GAF about his stats. I find the contrast, endearing. :lol:

Ask Patriots fans now if they could have Jimmy G or Wilson to succeed Brady, and an overwhelming portion will choose Jimmy.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":tm6tziv5 said:
Largent80":tm6tziv5 said:

As long as the Seahawks never quite replicate the 2013/2014 defense and pick up a real stud RB, I'll sleep well at night. Now that all of Carroll's USC players, peers, and recruits have long been drafted, it's going to be real hard to find the next Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. Lynch was a very lucky trade that will be hard to reproduce.

Seahawk fans never quite got the taste of what a 17 year dynasty looked like (like how it was in SF between '81-'98 with two coaches and two HoF QBs), so the perspective will never be the same as Niner fans. Wilson's postseason production the last few years has been subpar to put it politely. Niner fans would 90% want Wilson's head if he was our QB, and not GAF about his stats. I find the contrast, endearing. :lol:

Ask Patriots fans now if they could have Jimmy G or Wilson to succeed Brady, and an overwhelming portion will choose Jimmy.

Yeah real pity that we have really only owned the NFC West for 20 years or so.

All that stuff you remember was before we came back to the NFC and you had a division mostly made up of Expansion teams and the Lowly Saints as well as a Broken Franchise in the Rams with the Death of Carroll Rosenbloom and the emergence of Georgia and the move to St Louis.

Kind of like the Cake Walk the Patriots get every season in their division.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":2f3a4l52 said:
NINEster":2f3a4l52 said:

Right.

This isn't an anti-49ers fanbase board, I'm not an anti-49er fan, I'm a Seahawks fan, and you're little more than a sad troll.

Semantics. I could/should have said "non 49er fans".......

Now focus on the point at hand.

Let's rephrase:

If the 2017 Jimmy G is an accepted "elite QB" of the NFL........then a possible "return" to that with the current Niner roster, assuming good health will leave a lot of teams/fans shook.

The only thing Wilson does really well is throw his deep balls and make wild off the record plays. Wilson's skill sets for an alleged top QB are so polarizing from skill to skill compared to others in that group.

Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":1cpk4of5 said:
Maulbert":1cpk4of5 said:
NINEster":1cpk4of5 said:

Right.

Semantics. I could/should have said "non 49er fans".......

Now focus on the point at hand.

Let's rephrase:

If the 2017 Jimmy G is an accepted "elite QB" of the NFL........then a possible "return" to that with the current Niner roster, assuming good health will leave a lot of teams/fans shook.

The only thing Wilson does really well is throw his deep balls and make wild off the record plays. Wilson's skill sets for an alleged top QB are so polarizing from skill to skill compared to others in that group.

Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

Lets talk about wins and 4th Quarter Comebacks......................

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":2inttgp6 said:
NINEster":2inttgp6 said:
Largent80":2inttgp6 said:

Yeah real pity that we have really only owned the NFC West for 20 years or so.

The stadium was a great investment. Can't deny that.