Quandre Diggs Holdout?

massari

Reaction score
Seahawks reporter seems to think so

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1430645901027004417[/tweet]

Reaction score
Man, why did he wait until the last week of Preseason/End of Camp?? I love the guy, but this is frustrating.

Rat

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":3aw3n5yw said:
Man, why did he wait until the last week of Preseason/End of Camp?? I love the guy, but this is frustrating.
Leverage, probably.

nanomoz

Reaction score
How much money is too much money tied up in the safety position? I suspect paying Quandre what he wants would put the Hawks right about there.

Ryan Neal and Marquise Blair give the Hawks some options.

Lano Hill is also available, I believe the Panthers cut him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Diggs likely feels that Duane Brown should be 2nd in line for a contract extension.

My best guess is neither gets what they want.

Diggs taking a stand with roughly two weeks before the season starts is pretty much a chicken-poo move. I'm severely disappointed in his decision.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully Diggs doesn't hold out but if he does, good thing Marquise Blair is back. I think Diggs holding out will give Blair a chance to play. Diggs will lose his spot if he's not careful.

The Breh

Reaction score
nanomoz":3ppnfjui said:
How much money is too much money tied up in the safety position? I suspect paying Quandre what he wants would put the Hawks right about there.

We got, as you mentioned, Neal-who came out of nowhere last year and was an inspirational story and unexpected jolt.
And Blair. Twice sidelined and pulsing at the chance to separate a man from his cleats as we eagerly await said de-cleatings.

Then you went and mentioned Lano Hill :irishdrinkers:
This is like that moment in Dumb and Dumber where Harry tells Lloyd he "totally redeemed himself".

But like, the furthest complete opposite you can dream of.

Welcome to next weeks episode of ESPN's rip off of Dr. Dre's, "C'mon Son" :greetingsearthling:

gabel

Reaction score
Allowing Duane Brown to skip practice when the team already gave him a lucrative contract was a huge mistake. Now every veteran near the end of the end of their career will be trying the same stunt. Would any player dare try this in New England? No, there, you are expected to honor your contract. Send the right message, fine Diggs and Brown.

chris98251

Reaction score
Diggs is smart and heady and asset, but not Adams and or Brown irreplaceable, Blair, Neal, Amadi all could assume that roll I think. Diggs is one of the smaller and slower safeties we have.

King Dog

Reaction score
Don't pay any of these guys. Let them play or not get paid. They're acting like we won the Super Bowl last season lol

Teahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":254w9cws said:
Diggs is smart and heady and asset, but not Adams and or Brown irreplaceable, Blair, Neal, Amadi all could assume that roll I think. Diggs is one of the smaller and slower safeties we have.

Smaller yes, but slow? I mean he's not prime Earl Thomas, but his speed is not a liability. Like Thomas he's also a heat seeking missile and plays more powerful than his weight.

I don't see any of those 3 players being a pure free safety that could step in for Diggs. Blair and Neal come up in the box to play the run like a strong safety, and Ugo is a slot corner.

Of the 3 I'd imagine Blair is the closest fit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Diggs will get an extension as long as he's not asking for crazy 14-15M+ per year money.

If he's reasonable and is OK with the 11-13M range? Then something should get done before the season, or a little into the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Teahawks":14ev4v21 said:
chris98251":14ev4v21 said:

Smaller yes, but slow? I mean he's not prime Earl Thomas, but his speed is not a liability. Like Thomas he's also a heat seeking missile and plays more powerful than his weight.

I don't see any of those 3 players being a pure free safety that could step in for Diggs. Blair and Neal come up in the box to play the run like a strong safety, and Ugo is a slot corner.

Of the 3 I'd imagine Blair is the closest fit.

All three listed as Safeties on depth chart. I agree Amadi seems to play Nickel real well.

Diggs makes up for lack of real top speed with smarts, when I say slower I don't mean bad slow, just slower then the rest of the group, we have some speed back there, maybe not Earl 4.28 type speed but speed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The Breh":3o0nk60q said:
nanomoz":3o0nk60q said:

We got, as you mentioned, Neal-who came out of nowhere last year and was an inspirational story and unexpected jolt.
And Blair. Twice sidelined and pulsing at the chance to separate a man from his cleats as we eagerly await said de-cleatings.

Then you went and mentioned Lano Hill :irishdrinkers:
This is like that moment in Dumb and Dumber where Harry tells Lloyd he "totally redeemed himself".

But like, the furthest complete opposite you can dream of.

Welcome to next weeks episode of ESPN's rip off of Dr. Dre's, "C'mon Son" :greetingsearthling:

I didn't mention him because I think he's starter material. Perhaps I should have clarified.

But if a prolonged holdout actually occurs, the Hawks might need to add a body at safety, and Lano knows the system and is still only like 25 or 26.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think this is just a reporter making much ado about nothing. Getting twitter hits and such.

Like JS said earlier, "We've got 21 players in the last year of their contract." Duane or Quandre trying to force the situation gets them nowhere. There's only so much money available.

The Seahawks have their Cap planned 3 - 5 years out. They aren't going to change that for anybody.

Nobody is more important than being Consistent in Cap Spending.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The most common theory of NFL roster construction is that you want to spend money on elite players but not overpay the merely good ones. The bulk of your value comes from rookies outperforming their deals, so you want the big veteran contracts to be relatively safe bets.

Russ is one of the best QBs in the NFL, Wagner is one of the linebackers, and Adams is one of the best safeties. Throwing money at them is analogous to investing in index funds in the stock market. None of those three is going to wildly outperform their huge contracts, but they are very safe investments outside of injury risk.

In comparison, Frank Clark was a good player who knew he could be paid like one of the best due to the market, so it was a good decision to trade him. Quandre Diggs is in this category for me; we should continue to pay him like a good free safety but he isn't in that elite group in my book. If he does hold out then we need to play our youngsters instead.

Duane Brown is a much more interesting case. He is in the elite category except he is also on the wrong side of 35. Paying him huge money is not a safe investment at all due to mounting injury risk. The Seahawks medical staff opinion here is a crucial piece of information which we do not have access to.

Elemas

Reaction score
Don’t want to lose him but I’d be perfectly happy to see Blair back there. Given some time under his belt, I feel like his ceiling is higher.

I definitely like the way he plays.

Elemas

Reaction score
Blair is going to come back strong. If not for that boneheaded play by KJ, we would’ve seen him develop.

Could work in our favor….again, don’t want to lose Diggs but if we have an up and comer back there under a rookie contract….

Latest posts