Rapoport: Seahawks Claimed Josh Gordon!

THE TABS

Reaction score
Mizak":3o9gwgvl said:
The Patriots released him for a reason.

They know something is about to come out regarding Gordon.

Agreed. I think this move will wind up being much ado about nothing.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Spent the last 30 min watching his highlights. One common denominator is the QB had time to throw, especially Brady who had all day. Nice to have another weapon for Wilson, but what kind of an impact will he have is the question.

kidhawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1cpbcy4w said:
Sgt. Largent":1cpbcy4w said:
fridayfrenzy":1cpbcy4w said:
Josh Gordon should be treated as a luxury and someone the franchise can never rely upon.

It is unfortunate, but if you think Josh Gordon will NOW be clean on his Nth+1 chance then you are mistaken.

We only owe Gordon barely 1M if he doesn't work out.

It's a no lose gamble. Either he gets his poop together and helps us win a couple games, or he doesn't work out and gets cut or is a minor role player for the rest of the year.

Bottom line, Gordon's upside is certainly worth kicking the tires on him in our offense vs. 1M.

My gut feeling is that something is coming down the pipe about a suspension. The Pats may have moved on before anything official was released. Josh Gordon was playing almost 90% of the snaps for New England and then poof...they release him.

It wasn't really a "Poof he was released" type of deal. He got injured and they put him on IR with a minor injury designation meaning they had to release him once he was healthy. As soon as he was cleared they waived him. He almost cleared waivers, so it's just as possible that they hoped teams would be afraid to claim him as it is that there was some issue we are unaware of.

Either way though, we have very little skin in the game here, so it's a low risk/high reward type of situation for us. Pull the trigger on enough of those types of deals and one of them will pop for you. This may be that one or maybe it won't, but IMO it's worth the little we have to risk to give it a shot.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":xr12s4t6 said:
If this means I don't have to watch Jaron Brown anymore that alone makes it worth it.

So true

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A low risk move. I’m not going to get too excited about it until I see his play on the field and he proves he can stay clean.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
A low risk potentially high ceiling signing. How does this affect Ursua and Jennings progress would be my concern.

That's said if he walks at the end of the year it's a potential comp pick back. Word is the pats hoped some bottom dweller picked him up precisely for the potential free pick. They didn't want him to go to a contender, I'll let others decide whether that's the case or not.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":yndme87w said:
A low risk potentially high ceiling signing. How does this affect Ursua and Jennings progress would be my concern.

They're already not playing, I think this would only potentially be an issue if we commit future years to Gordon. Even still, they were Day 3 picks; they likely weren't our future starters.

sutz

Reaction score
Rat":1ghatv54 said:
UK_Seahawk":1ghatv54 said:

They're already not playing, I think this would only potentially be an issue if we commit future years to Gordon. Even still, they were Day 3 picks; they likely weren't our future starters.
And Doug Baldwin was a UDFA. :Dunno:

We'll see once Gordon is activated how well he does. Lot of talent there, and proven ability.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Gordon has certainly earned most of the negativity offered here by his detractors.

At the very least, I think this might indicate that the Hawks know that they need to score a lot of points and stretch the field consistently if they're going to make it very far this season.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
sutz":21lb7wsi said:
Rat":21lb7wsi said:
UK_Seahawk":21lb7wsi said:

And Doug Baldwin was a UDFA. :Dunno:

We'll see once Gordon is activated how well he does. Lot of talent there, and proven ability.

So were about a million other players I could name who never did anything. Yes, you occasionally find gems late, but theyre such a small percentage of the field, particularly at WR, that I seriously doubt teams pick those guys with the expectations that they'll be starting one day. You're just looking to get contributors and hope to get lucky. Jennings isn't off to such a hot start anyway.

You don't pass up a Josh Gordon because you used a 7th round pick on a thin wideout from a small program that very rarely puts out NFL WR prospects.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Josh Gordon, playing for Seattle, in a state where marijuana is legal...what could POSSIBLY go wrong? :sarcasm_on:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wonder how much this was to keep him away from the WR starved 49ers. Hold him on the roster a couple weeks then release him.

Clearly Ursua and Jennings are not the rookies we were all hooping them to be. They are starting to enter the David Moore zone. Both Lockett, Baldwin and even Richardson were making bigger contributions by now in their rookie season.

Oh well we got Metcalf right at least. 1 of 3 WR picks working out is probably our average.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We have so little invested in Gordon that I don't really care about picking him up. He's a luxury pick and nothing more. I seriously doubt he'll have much of an impact for us this season. As a matter of fact, if he actually plays more than two or three games for us, I would count that as a victory. Now hopefully the team will pick somebody up that we actually need, say on the defensive side of the ball.

zchurch74

Reaction score
What are the terms? Is he only here for the rest of the season and we have to sign him in the off season?

kidhawk

Reaction score
zchurch74":2rt2zmvt said:
What are the terms? Is he only here for the rest of the season and we have to sign him in the off season?

He's got just over $1 million remaining on this season's contract and after that he becomes a free agent.

First things first though, he'll have to pass a physical before anything becomes official which he may or may not pass since he was released from the IR list. He's supposedly healthy enough to play, but each teams doctors make their own call on that, so making it through the physical will be the first hurdle.

Assuming he passes the physical, he'll be a member of the Seahawks to complete his contract. If he does well here, we can choose to negotiate an extension or we could just let him go in free agency and see if he gets enough to get us a comp pick.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Fieldgulls has that Hawks released Dakota Watson for JG's roster spot.

The only concern might be that we were 28 on the waiver list and he was still there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":7l4gvzrf said:
Gordon has certainly earned most of the negativity offered here by his detractors.

At the very least, I think this might indicate that the Hawks know that they need to score a lot of points and stretch the field consistently if they're going to make it very far this season.
Agree. I think it's a tacit acknowledgement that the O needs to push 30 ppg to get to and hopefully win a game in the playoffs.

One other thing to consider........there were a couple of instances where Russ had no one open in the Atl game. It feels like this is a hoped for answer to the Dissley injury, a third target though obviously a different position.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1bgayugg said:
nanomoz":1bgayugg said:

Agree. I think it's a tacit acknowledgement that the O needs to push 30 ppg to get to and hopefully win a game in the playoffs.

I think it's just an indicator that a very talented player was available for dirt cheap. If we were desperate to add firepower to the passing game, I don't think the trade deadline would have passed without making a move, especially when guys like AJ Green, Robby Anderson, and others were on the market. And I dont think it was because Gordon was plan A because Pete said he was surprised to get him.

massari

Reaction score
Just from watching his highlights, he looks quite a bit slower and less explosive today than his 2013 season. He's still only 28 though.

Maybe they're waiting to see how he looks in practice before cutting Jaron Brown.

Rumor:
https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/go ... ts-release
NBC Sports Boston's Tom E. Curran shared some things he had heard within the organization as to why Gordon was released on Thursday. According to Curran, he had heard rumblings that New England was having problems with Gordon being late to meetings, the coaches had trouble locating him at times, and he generally wasn't showing the hard work ethic that was expected of him.