Report: Leonard Fournette weighing offer from Seahawks

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":9igxsr35 said:
chris98251":9igxsr35 said:
Fade":9igxsr35 said:
RB's are a dime a dozen, spending decent to big money on them is dumb. Sign a vet from the McVay/Shanny tree on the cheap later in Free Agency, grab another later in the draft, and bring in a couple of UDRookieFAs to compete with Collins and Penny.

Any amount of good money not spent on D-Line or O-Line is a fail.

If that were the case we would not be shopping, anyone can run behind a line where you get hit in the backfield and have to make yards after contact almost every play right?

Some peoples kids..............

The line isn't that bad, and it certainly isn't that bad at run blocking.

So Lynch and Carson getting hit behind the line is their fault and why they led the league in yards after contact ? It doesn't have to be the lineman, it's the running scheme, we don't run to holes, we run to gaps or supposed gaps, how many times have you seen LB's and DT's split gaps and make contact with our RB's.

Also seems like a lot of our O lineman that move on perform well somewhere else also.

flv

Reaction score
knownone":190q2t9k said:
I'm confused, how was a RB, who put up damn near 1700 yards on a team with a bad QB, not worth a $6M contract? There had to be locker room problems; otherwise, why cut him after he was 6th in all purpose yards?
Fournette was due a guaranteed $4.2M in his final year with the Jaguars. To that point he had been a mediocre 4.0 avg rusher who wasn't a threat receiving and was nothing special as a blocker. If the Jaguars had been willing to trade him for a low pick they might have found a taker. If he had been a problem they would have moved on from him in March 2020. Either way a team would probably have picked up his $4.2M guarantee. No team was willing to pick up that $4.2M guarantee once preseason had finished. He cleared waivers at $4.2M. (Were all 32 teams wrong?). His value was generally thought to be around $3M, which is what he signed for. He was largely unproductive with the Buccaneers and was close to being cut after being a healthy inactive for Week 14. He's a good player and probably worth a risk at $3.3M if his style fits your offense. Personally I think that style is outdated and sub-optimal in 2021.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Fade":17k6rahk said:
RB's are a dime a dozen, spending decent to big money on them is dumb. Sign a vet from the McVay/Shanny tree on the cheap later in Free Agency, grab another later in the draft, and bring in a couple of UDRookieFAs to compete with Collins and Penny.

Dime a dozen but most aren't worth shit...look at rb room. One of the worst in the league. Run first strategy?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
chris98251":mjjkjze5 said:
Maelstrom787":mjjkjze5 said:
chris98251":mjjkjze5 said:
Fade":mjjkjze5 said:

If that were the case we would not be shopping, anyone can run behind a line where you get hit in the backfield and have to make yards after contact almost every play right?

Some peoples kids..............

The line isn't that bad, and it certainly isn't that bad at run blocking.

So Lynch and Carson getting hit behind the line is their fault and why they led the league in yards after contact ? It doesn't have to be the lineman, it's the running scheme, we don't run to holes, we run to gaps or supposed gaps, how many times have you seen LB's and DT's split gaps and make contact with our RB's.

Also seems like a lot of our O lineman that move on perform well somewhere else also.
It's the running scheme more than the line.

The running scheme (our entire offensive scheme, really) is heavy on shotgun formation. Our RBs are never given a 'running start' and they often have to make their first cut pretty far behind the line of scrimmage. It worked back in the early days of Marshawn/Russell because we were one of the first teams to heavily implement the modern 'read-option' and Wilson was a legit threat to keep so Marshawn--besides being next to impossible to take down on first contact--also benefitted from defensive hesitation.

We don't have that benefit because Russell doesn't read 'keep' nearly as much these days and our shotgun-heavy run game just means our RBs have less of a head-start.

I'm interested in Fournette if the price is right, but do I think he's going to give us more than Carson? Probably not. Not if our scheme remains unchanged, so our most important run-game signing remains Shane Waldron.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":yry8ied6 said:
and Seattle had a fairly good rushing attack last year.

Um,,,,,,what?

Not one game with a 100 yard rusher last year and the rushing attack was fairly good?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":279xk7ti said:
Maelstrom787":279xk7ti said:

Um,,,,,,what?

Not one game with a 100 yard rusher last year and the rushing attack was fairly good?

Hard to rush for 100 yards when not a single Hawk received more than 18 carries in any game last year. They spread out the workload and the team finished 12th in total rushing and tied for 5th in ypc at 4.8. While not what we've seen in previous years and the scheme needed improvement, the rushing effectiveness wasn't quite as bad as advertised.

I'm not sure how a rather discontent Fournette would do here in another spread the load/RB by committee situation though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if this happens.
Sounds like Chris Carson is close to signing with the Dolphins

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":15viwva7 said:
Maelstrom787":15viwva7 said:

Um,,,,,,what?

What West TX said.

The running game was good. It just wasn't utilized as much.

Volume statistics are almost never good indicators of how effective something is. Efficiency statistics are. Running 30 times for 3.5 yards a pop gets you a 100 yard rusher, but it's not good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kby6xmz said:
Will be interesting to see if this happens.
Sounds like Chris Carson is close to signing with the Dolphins

Maybe not. Fann posted this just a minute ago.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1372655360389959681[/tweet]

Still wouldn't expect him back, but I suppose he's not gone just yet. FWIW, I'd welcome him back for slightly more than what Kenyan Drake got, but would pass otherwise.

Own The West

Reaction score
With D.Moore's signing, we're now -1 in FA and eligible for a 4th round comp pick from Quill.

My guess is that we will wait for Carson to either return or go somewhere else before pulling a trigger on another marquee FA. Although, it's a reasonable assumption if we don't intend to resign Carson that he will land elsewhere and we can sign away. Cap is tight now though. We may have to move or restructure someone first.

knownone

Reaction score
flv":3h8uhfbi said:
knownone":3h8uhfbi said:
I'm confused, how was a RB, who put up damn near 1700 yards on a team with a bad QB, not worth a $6M contract? There had to be locker room problems; otherwise, why cut him after he was 6th in all purpose yards?
Fournette was due a guaranteed $4.2M in his final year with the Jaguars. To that point he had been a mediocre 4.0 avg rusher who wasn't a threat receiving and was nothing special as a blocker. If the Jaguars had been willing to trade him for a low pick they might have found a taker. If he had been a problem they would have moved on from him in March 2020. Either way a team would probably have picked up his $4.2M guarantee. No team was willing to pick up that $4.2M guarantee once preseason had finished. He cleared waivers at $4.2M. (Were all 32 teams wrong?). His value was generally thought to be around $3M, which is what he signed for. He was largely unproductive with the Buccaneers and was close to being cut after being a healthy inactive for Week 14. He's a good player and probably worth a risk at $3.3M if his style fits your offense. Personally I think that style is outdated and sub-optimal in 2021.
In his final year with the Jags, he had 76 catches for 522 yards. Sounds like a receiving threat to me. If you look at the guys ahead of him on the all-purpose yards list, every single one of them is making north of $12 Million. There had to have been another reason he was cut. I'm assuming they didn't want to deal with the headache while feeling good about their rookie RB.

flv

Reaction score
knownone":2kvs1hyb said:
In his final year with the Jags, he had 76 catches for 522 yards. Sounds like a receiving threat to me. If you look at the guys ahead of him on the all-purpose yards list, every single one of them is making north of $12 Million. There had to have been another reason he was cut. I'm assuming they didn't want to deal with the headache while feeling good about their rookie RB.
I guess we differ on what a receiving threat is, which is fair enough. Gurley averaged 9.3 yards per catch with several 40+ yard receptions. Fournette averages 7.3 with a career long of 31 yards. Fournette played against a lot of blitz & prevent defenses which ought to make RBs look better as receivers. Again, all 32 teams passed on him at $4.2M. He's a plodder and teams don't pay plodders. They pay players who create big plays, even if they're a headache of the field.

knownone

Reaction score
flv":2d5x0qko said:
knownone":2d5x0qko said:
I guess we differ on what a receiving threat is, which is fair enough. Gurley averaged 9.3 yards per catch with several 40+ yard receptions. Fournette averages 7.3 with a career long of 31 yards. Fournette played against a lot of blitz & prevent defenses which ought to make RBs look better as receivers. Again, all 32 teams passed on him at $4.2M. He's a plodder and teams don't pay plodders. They pay players who create big plays, even if they're a headache of the field.
By your metric, J.D. McKissic, who is exclusively a receiving threat, is not a receiving threat. I'm honestly not sure you've seen much of Fournette play because he's certainly not a "plodder". I mean, unless you also think Derrick Henry, Chris Carson, and Nick Chubb are plodders. Furthermore, according to Next Gen, he faced the most 8 man fronts in the league in 2019, so it's not as if he was gaining easy yards that season.

I did some research. Teams were weary of Fournette because he had trouble learning the playbook in Jacksonville, was late to meetings, and thought to highly of himself. Those are concerning, but his ability to play is not.

flv

Reaction score
knownone":upba7mgl said:
By your metric, J.D. McKissic, who is exclusively a receiving threat, is not a receiving threat. I'm honestly not sure you've seen much of Fournette play because he's certainly not a "plodder". I mean, unless you also think Derrick Henry, Chris Carson, and Nick Chubb are plodders. Furthermore, according to Next Gen, he faced the most 8 man fronts in the league in 2019, so it's not as if he was gaining easy yards that season.

I did some research. Teams were weary of Fournette because he had trouble learning the playbook in Jacksonville, was late to meetings, and thought to highly of himself. Those are concerning, but his ability to play is not.
By your metric, Trent Richardson is a rushing threat. We can all play that game.

So...he had problems learning the playbook, somehow gained 1700 yards, and THEN the Jaguars cut him? If the Jaguars had cut him in 2018 when he had the issues you mentioned you'd have a point, but they didn't. They cut him in 2020 after he'd cleaned up his act.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/9/4/21422301/opinion-no-concerns-here-for-leonard-fournette-tampa-bay-buccaneers-2020

He wasn't a $6M player. Every team turned him down at $4.2M. The Buccaneers almost cut him during 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-almost-cut-leonard-fournette-before-epic-playoff-run

Derrick Henry, Chris Carson, and Nick Chubb are high quality performers. Fournette is not. Fournette is a limited, old-fashioned, bruiser - like CJ Anderson was in 2018. He can fill a role in certain offensive systems, and he's good at that, but that's it. Maybe he gets another $3M type contract in 2021. Maybe he'll go unsigned.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd be VERY nervous about the starting RB tantum of Fournette and Penny.

I'm hoping we can get Carson back on a one year deal.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Le’veon Bell and the late Frank Gore as a combo with Penny playing the perennial Procise role.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't know if its a reflection of our oline play, our play calling, or our running backs but when you look at the advanced stats for running backs from last season we didn't have any backs in the top 20 for yards after contact, yards after contact per carry, broken tackles, yards, or yards Before contact. Problem is Fournette didn't fair a whole lot better.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/rushing_advanced.htm

knownone

Reaction score
flv":n1bueudh said:
By your metric, Trent Richardson is a rushing threat. We can all play that game.

So...he had problems learning the playbook, somehow gained 1700 yards, and THEN the Jaguars cut him? If the Jaguars had cut him in 2018 when he had the issues you mentioned you'd have a point, but they didn't. They cut him in 2020 after he'd cleaned up his act.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/9/4/21422301/opinion-no-concerns-here-for-leonard-fournette-tampa-bay-buccaneers-2020

He wasn't a $6M player. Every team turned him down at $4.2M. The Buccaneers almost cut him during 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-almost-cut-leonard-fournette-before-epic-playoff-run

Derrick Henry, Chris Carson, and Nick Chubb are high quality performers. Fournette is not. Fournette is a limited, old-fashioned, bruiser - like CJ Anderson was in 2018. He can fill a role in certain offensive systems, and he's good at that, but that's it. Maybe he gets another $3M type contract in 2021. Maybe he'll go unsigned.
By what metric that I referenced, would Richardson and Fournette be comparable? Here are their best seasons.

Trent Richardson: 1317 Yards / 4.1 Y/T
Leonard Fournette: 1674 Yards / 4.9 Y/T

Let's dispel this notion that Fournette is an "old-fashioned" RB. First, he ran a 4.51 at 240 pounds. For perspective, that's faster than Henry, Carson, Chubb, Gurley, and 0.3 seconds slower than McCaffery, who was 203 pounds for his 40. Second, your statement is not backed up statistically. This is your 2019 list of RBs with the most 20 and 40-yard runs. Keep in mind, he had fewer carries than every RB on that list besides Cook, and he had the highest percentage of runs against 8-man fronts, and only Henry is near him in that category.

Nick Chub - Total 20&40+ runs: 15
Derick Henry - Total 20&40+ runs: 12
Leonard Fournette - Total 20&40+ runs: 11
Christian McCaffery - Total 20&40+ runs: 10
Chris Carson - Total 20&40+ runs: 9
Dalvin Cook - Total 20&40+ runs: 9
Zeke Ellioit - Total 20&40+ runs: 4

Furthermore, in 2017 he had the fastest play of the season against Pittsburgh, clocking in at 22.05 MPH.
[youtube]BqgfJuclZWE[/youtube]

I'm willing to believe teams didn't want him at $4m for off-the-field issues, his ability to grasp the offense, or even health issues; however, if the explanation is that he's "limited" by his style, I have no idea what you are watching. I'm watching his 2019 highlights. He looks explosive and agile. He makes guys miss in the open field. He runs guys over. If this is a "plodder" that is not worth $4M, sign me up.

[youtube]OGKXO9vWrtc[/youtube]

flv

Reaction score
knownone":f8dcd7ci said:
By what metric that I referenced, would Richardson and Fournette be comparable? Here are their best seasons.

Trent Richardson: 1317 Yards / 4.1 Y/T
Leonard Fournette: 1674 Yards / 4.9 Y/T

Let's dispel this notion that Fournette is an "old-fashioned" RB. First, he ran a 4.51 at 240 pounds. For perspective, that's faster than Henry, Carson, Chubb, Gurley, and 0.3 seconds slower than McCaffery, who was 203 pounds for his 40. Second, your statement is not backed up statistically. This is your 2019 list of RBs with the most 20 and 40-yard runs. Keep in mind, he had fewer carries than every RB on that list besides Cook, and he had the highest percentage of runs against 8-man fronts, and only Henry is near him in that category.

Nick Chub - Total 20&40+ runs: 15
Derick Henry - Total 20&40+ runs: 12
Leonard Fournette - Total 20&40+ runs: 11
Christian McCaffery - Total 20&40+ runs: 10
Chris Carson - Total 20&40+ runs: 9
Dalvin Cook - Total 20&40+ runs: 9
Zeke Ellioit - Total 20&40+ runs: 4

Furthermore, in 2017 he had the fastest play of the season against Pittsburgh, clocking in at 22.05 MPH.
[youtube]BqgfJuclZWE[/youtube]

I'm willing to believe teams didn't want him at $4m for off-the-field issues, his ability to grasp the offense, or even health issues; however, if the explanation is that he's "limited" by his style, I have no idea what you are watching. I'm watching his 2019 highlights. He looks explosive and agile. He makes guys miss in the open field. He runs guys over. If this is a "plodder" that is not worth $4M, sign me up.

[youtube]OGKXO9vWrtc[/youtube]
Seriously! You're going to post a run against cover 0 with all 11 defenders within 3 yards of the LOS to demonstrate...anything? I could post Rams plodder Tre Mason going 89 yards against the Raiders in similar circumstances in 2014. He was so slow a Rams WR caught him and jogged with him.

Believe what you want. If Fournette gets $4.7M+ for 2021 it'll show you're right. If he signs for less than $3M before incentives and performance bonuses, or goes unsigned through June, we'll know you're way off.

Latest posts