Report: Jamal Adams Has Offer From Seahawks

A-Dog

Reaction score
The Times have more details:

Summary: They've agreed on 4 years @ 17.5M APY. Seahawks offering to guarantee $38M spread out over all four years while Adams' camp wants $40M and all of it in the first three years.

$17M or so was the low end of what people here were suggesting Adams wanted, although many who are less enthusiastic about Adams were certain he'd be demanding $20M. The APY seems more or less right; I'm guessing the disagreement is less about the extra $2M guaranteed and more about pushing it all in to the first three years.

My take: It seems like there is a little room to compromise so that Adams can save his pride and the Seahawks can get him in to camp - guarantee the other $2M (make it a nice round $40M that sounds a lot better than $38M - it's pride we're trying to solve for here), but keep it spread out over four years.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-contract-talks-with-jamal-adams-per-sources/

On Friday, the Seahawks made what they labeled their final offer: $17.5 million in total annual compensation on a four-year contract, with roughly $38 million guaranteed, a deal that would make Adams the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

Adams’ representatives seemed amenable to that salary package and then countered with what they saw as a reasonable request: $40 million in guarantees, $2 million more than the Seahawks’ offer.

Adams’ camp also wanted to move bonus money into the first three years of the contract; the Seahawks prefer to spread it over all four years.

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds good. :2thumbs:

Let's get him on the field practicing. :snack:

Jville

Reaction score
I'm assuming Adams is still recovering and healing from last season's injuries. So no rush from his perspective.

If the report is accurate, the Seahawks offer appears to be a 70 million dollar contract for four years.

The Adams camp appears to want more of a 3 year contract with a fourth year option to be replaced by an anticipated future contract extension in year four.

Seems like something of an impasse to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What I read is the sticking points are more the upfront guaranteed portions, etc.

Which should mean they're close, just not quite there......but as others have said, he wouldn't be practicing much anyway coming off his surgeries, so I really don't care if he misses another couple weeks.

If we get to the last preseason game and Adams still hasn't signed? Then I'll be worried.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2udl96og said:
What I read is the sticking points are more the upfront guaranteed portions, etc.

Which should mean they're close, just not quite there......but as others have said, he wouldn't be practicing much anyway coming off his surgeries, so I really don't care if he misses another couple weeks.

If we get to the last preseason game and Adams still hasn't signed? Then I'll be worried.

The have the money its about distribution, that can be worked out with give and take and ability if needed to pull money from Russells Contract.

By next week this is done and we are talking Brown stuff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1gqm3am3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gqm3am3 said:

The have the money its about distribution, that can be worked out with give and take and ability if needed to pull money from Russells Contract.

Yes, as tricky as Adam's extension has been, I fear Brown's will be even trickier. He wants an extension, and not just a one year, he wants 2-3 or even longer.

It doesn't appear John and Pete are down with that, so could get interesting.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3af2226z said:
chris98251":3af2226z said:
Sgt. Largent":3af2226z said:

Yes, as tricky as Adam's extension has been, I fear Brown's will be even trickier. He wants an extension, and not just a one year, he wants 2-3 or even longer.

It doesn't appear John and Pete are down with that, so could get interesting.

Good to hear that they aren't too far off with Adams. Hopefully they can get Brown done soon too. There's less depth behind Brown than there is behind Adams. Behind Adams you have Blair, Neal, etc. Behind Brown, you have a 6th round rookie in Forsythe. So impetus is on the Seahawks making Brown happy for at least the next 2 years to be safe.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":jio4n95v said:
Sgt. Largent":jio4n95v said:

But everything we've heard is that the Hawks are done negotiating.

Adams needs to be on the field and practicing to the degree that he's physically able. With the exception of Walter Jones, who could have jumped out of bed and played in his pajamas on opening day and performed at a Pro Bowl level, they all need the work to get into game shape.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ykouexf said:
chris98251":1ykouexf said:
Sgt. Largent":1ykouexf said:

Adams needs to be on the field and practicing to the degree that he's physically able. With the exception of Walter Jones, who could have jumped out of bed and played in his pajamas on opening day and performed at a Pro Bowl level, they all need the work to get into game shape.

They are done negotiating, and the Russell restructuring thing was his dumb agent putting that out there to get some free "Russell's such a great guy" publicity.

The Seahawks don't need Russell to restructure to extend both Adams and Brown if they want. All that'd do is make it harder to trade him next year if all hell breaks loose and he demands a trade, because it's jack up his dead cap hit.

Adams needs to take this deal, he wanted more, and he's been offered OVER 2M more than the last safety that signed, WITH more guaranteed money.

Frank12

Reaction score
That's about the price range I was figuring it's not like the team can let him just walk after the season, not after what was give up for him... So be it now get him suited up and out there playing..

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24ukdhja said:
They are done negotiating, and the Russell restructuring thing was his dumb agent putting that out there to get some free "Russell's such a great guy" publicity.

The Seahawks don't need Russell to restructure to extend both Adams and Brown if they want. All that'd do is make it harder to trade him next year if all hell breaks loose and he demands a trade, because it's jack up his dead cap hit.

Adams needs to take this deal, he wanted more, and he's been offered OVER 2M more than the last safety that signed, WITH more guaranteed money.

Yea, my eyes rolled when I heard Russell's statement about his willingness to restructure his contract and take one for the team. He didn't have to make that public, all he had to do was to send JS a text message. All he's doing is greasing his own wheels and seeking more gratitude from his adoring fans. But I think that statement was in relation to getting Duane Brown resigned rather than Adams, though. Not that it makes a great deal of difference.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bw4dh6w said:
RiverDog":3bw4dh6w said:
chris98251":3bw4dh6w said:
Sgt. Largent":3bw4dh6w said:

I agree that Russ camp only said that to make him look like he’s a team guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-Dog

Reaction score
Or it could be that the Russ camp said that to put pressure on the Hawks FO to get Brown taken care of, so he doesn't end up with a 6th round rookie protecting his blind side.

andyh64000

Reaction score
A-Dog":mxmikl67 said:
Or it could be that the Russ camp said that to put pressure on the Hawks FO to get Brown taken care of, so he doesn't end up with a 6th round rookie protecting his blind side.

That is what I think as well, it was Russ telling the Hawks to get Brown signed.

balakoth

Reaction score
Interesting logical posts pointing out flaws in basic thinking on this board get deleted or removed?

Gotcha... DERP RUSS reached out to his agent for PR DEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

How many more thousands of posts can you make before you realize you are literally a couch monkey

massari

Reaction score
balakoth":6hkxb0bt said:
Interesting logical posts pointing out flaws in basic thinking on this board get deleted or removed?

Gotcha... DERP RUSS reached out to his agent for PR DEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

How many more thousands of posts can you make before you realize you are literally a couch monkey
Bubbles trailer park boys

Man are you crying?

Must spend a lot of time lurking to feel this animosity.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A-Dog":230uighy said:

Which is the whole point. Russell did the same thing earlier in the offseason when he started pressuring management to improve the offensive line. If he has an opinion or suggestion, he needs to keep it behind closed doors and I'm sure that they'll at least take into consideration whatever it is that he has to say.

I don't blame Russell for his concerns and as a vet he should have a fair degree of say in the direction of the franchise, but there is no need for him to go public.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":pnsnkhxc said:
A-Dog":pnsnkhxc said:

Which is the whole point. Russell did the same thing earlier in the offseason when he started pressuring management to improve the offensive line. If he has an opinion or suggestion, he needs to keep it behind closed doors and I'm sure that they'll at least take into consideration whatever it is that he has to say.

I don't blame Russell for his concerns and as a vet he should have a fair degree of say in the direction of the franchise, but there is no need for him to go public.

I think there are assumptions being made her

"Via Bob Condotta and Adam Jude of the Seattle Times, Wilson has told the Seahawks he is willing to restructure his contract to help facilitate new deals for Adams and Brown under the team’s salary cap."

Notice no quote. That leads me to beleive the info was not gotten form Wilson especailly when just below it you get this

“Not having Duane Brown out there is a pretty significant deal because I think he’s one of the best left tackles in the game, there’s no arguing it,” Wilson said. “I think he’s as good as it gets. There’s nobody more athletic, more talented than he is. Age is just a number. He looks like he’s 28-30 out there. He’s really exceptional. So smart and physical, understands the game, and I think people fear him, to be honest with you, when they’re rushing him and playing against him.

“So we definitely want to be able to get him back out there. We’ve got to figure that out because we need Duane Brown.”

Notice direct quotes

[ur]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/11/russell-wilson-willing-to-restructure-deal-to-aid-deals-for-jamal-adams-duane-brown/[/url]

It appears there was no quote of Wilson saying it, but people assumed it was him when it was likely from someone else, on the hawks Other wise, they would quote Wilson.

Even more

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is reportedly ready to restructure his contract to get Jamal Adams and Duane Brown their new deals.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...eal-to-aid-deals-for-jamal-adams-duane-brown/

reportedly notice no mention of were the info came from. so lets stop assuming all we know is the media say he will, but we don't even know if that is true let alone where it came form.

Maybe it came form browns camp or Adams to put pressure on the hawks.

adn then there is this right form PC

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article251448483.html

Coach Pete Carroll said Saturday his team has talked to its co-captains and highest-paid players about renegotiating their contracts to create salary-cap space this year. And Carroll kept open the possibility Seattle may re-do one of both of those deals, if the team gets into position to add more veteran players.

“As always, we have all of the options available to us,” Carroll said following the second of three rookie-minicamp practices with jet-skiers and power boats zipping by next to them on Lake Washington. “We have talked about all of that, as we do every year. What are our possibilities? Where do we need to go? What do we need to do, if we get to certain levels of need to stay in compliance (with the cap)?

so again lets stop assuming.