Resign Tyler Lockett??

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
At this point, Lockett is basically a ossesion receiver, without the physicality typical of the description. He's dependable, and good for accumulating lots of air yards in small chunks. He's not elite, but he's crafty enough to get open against all but the top tier corners. Good, dependable hands. The Shaun Alexander of wide receivers, he's focused on self-preservation.

He would be a valuable addition to a less disciplined offense, and probably should be traded in the off season. He would make a great security blanket for one of the more ad-lib QBs. Given his contract structure, teams shoukd be willing to part with some decent capital for him. They woukd have to to make it worthwhile for the Seahawks.

If the Broncos can trade their first for a couple of seconds, I would take a second round pick in 2023 and 2024 3rd rounder for him. Denver is probably the best place for him.

Green Bay would be a good destination as well.

Wouldnt it be great if Denver traded their first rounder via sf for Lockett? And hired away Dan Quinn as the child and Quinn gets Scotty to come with?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Others have posted this but some here are not reading the whole thread.

Tyler Lockett is currently signed through the 2025 season.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Others have posted this but some here are not reading the whole thread.

Tyler Lockett is currently signed through the 2025 season.
...who could possibly be traded at the end of the 2023 season. No one is saying to trade him tomorrow. But salaries matter. And we are already paying a premium on one WR. When his last two years of his current contract roll around he will be eating a significant piece of the salary cap pie. The question posed is whether it is beneficial to give him that piece of the pie (he will be 32-33yrs old at that time) or draft his replacement now to be groomed and then Thank Tyler for his services rendered, but send him to the highest bidder.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Poke fun all you want, that’s what I was doing.

But I must say…
Looking at the edit of your OP that’s a whole lot of “I meant to say”.

Fact is, you asked for opinions.
Mine is “duh”.
How is it right to argue with folks over their opinion when you asked for it/them?
Call me crazy but that’s a silly concept.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Id like a young fast , big receiver to be opposite of #14 . I don't think he's worth big $ at this point. But I don't know anything about football.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Poke fun all you want, that’s what I was doing.

But I must say…
Looking at the edit of your OP that’s a whole lot of “I meant to say”.

Fact is, you asked for opinions.
Mine is “duh”.
How is it right to argue with folks over their opinion when you asked for it/them?
Call me crazy but that’s a silly concept.
Call me crazy but responding "duh" to a multiple choice question is a silly answer. It's the equivalent of choosing "C" for every answer on a bubble test. Either you agree with drafting Lockett's replacement sooner rather than later or you disagree and would be fine paying 2 players big money for the same position. "Duh" answers neither. Or should I make it a bubble test for you?

Don't mind the edit. It happens. Thanks for pointing it out. Rather rich though coming from someone who consistently posts new topics already being discussed. Maybe consider changing your username to "latetotheparty"

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Didn't he recently say that he avoids contact and goes down on purpose instead of fighting for that extra yardage? Not what you want to hear. You can see him do it too.
I don’t have a problem with that it serves 2 purposes. Less injuries and in todays NFL many defenses are taught to stand up a ball carrier and when help arrives to strip the ball resulting in a turn over

jeremiah

Reaction score
Lockett's value is complicated. His contract is backloaded and so it's a great deal this season, average next season and then it becomes questionable in 2024 and 2025.

He is very good at what he does, which is getting open and then securing the catch. His extremely good catch rate is even better than normal this season at 76.1% playing with Geno. It's a valuable role especially on third downs but I hesitate to include him in the top tier of receivers for a couple of reasons.

Lockett doesn't attack the football very well which means when he isn't wide open then the pass can be easily contested. Three of Geno's INTs this season have come when targeting Lockett, vs. only one when targeting Metcalf and none when targeting Goodwin. That doesn't show up in Tyler's standard stats but it does matter and it doesn't feel great throwing a 50/50 ball his way as a result.

Lockett also generates far less YAC than you would expect given how wide open he can get as he often favors going to the ground to secure the catch. In the same vein, he has just five broken tackles total over the last five seasons. A receiver like Tyreek Hill has the same catch rate this season with twice as many yards after the catch. That makes Hill much more of a threat to opposing defenses.
Keep Lockett, trade Metcalf. This team will be getting good, when he is broken down. Plus, IMO he is not that good, and he is at his peak right now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Is this a serious question???

He is the team’s most consistent WR, a locker room leader, and great citizen. Besides he’s the best WR on the team, and a Pro Bowl player. Just so you know he’s signed through 2025 and becomes a UFA in 2026. Let’s talk about this then.

While he heals from his broken finger, let us watch how much the team misses him.

Without a doubt the team re-signs him.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
He’s aging but…I haven’t seen him fall off yet. I know you need to strike while the irons hot but I’m not sure his shelf life is even within 3 years yet..

flv2

Reaction score
He has a base salary of $10.75M next season, which is cheap. Presumably the current performance escalator bonus also applies to his future earnings which would mean he's due $17.95M in 2024. Whatever. It's a discussion for Winter 2023. No reason to move him before then, unless someone makes a big trade offer.

Spohawks

Reaction score
He is a poor man's Largent. Dude catches everything that is thrown to him and does it with extreme pressure on him.

At this point, he is the only Seahawk I know who will come through everytime...and that has value!

QWERTY

Reaction score
There's absolutely no way he would be re-signed in Seattle.

He's 30 years old, and after his contract he will be 34 years old. And by that time, he would be done.

BASF

Reaction score
After making Russell Wilson look as good as he did during the past few seasons, he belongs in the hall of fame. As has been stated, he will not be a cap casualty for at least another two seasons.