Ruminations on the Bucs Game

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the Bucs Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

It's amazing to me the contrast of offensive playcalling depending on how the opponent is playing/scoring. I knew after TB went down the field with ease, that SEA would come out with an aggressive attack to answer. They wouldn't have though, had TB not put up points. Pete is crazy. Maybe crazy like a fox, but he is still crazy. He should go full pedal on offense at the start of every game to give his squad the best chance to win. I think he now fully realizes his defense is very much in need of an overhaul at the end of they year. But in the meantime he is going to have no choice for the rest of the season but to do just that. The only way the Seahawks can have a special season this year is if Wilson wins the MVP. They are too flawed, in too many areas to win any other way.

Tical must be fuming! Wilson threw it 43 times, and they abandoned the run for long stretches. LMAO! They needed everyone of those tosses, or they would've been blown out.

Defensively the Seahawks have major issues. They finally didn't get chewed up by TE & RB screens, yay. They allowed Mike Evans and all Bucs receivers for that matter lineup in the slot and have free releases down the seam, was given easy inside releases when lineup outside into huge voids for easy catches. Mike Evans is a beast, I know, but you can't make it that easy. Mike Evans 1-on-1 w/ a free release against the Safeties & Jamar Taylor, giving 15 yard cushions is not sound design. The defensive players were consistently playing their technique's and assignments from what I could glean. This is a coaching issue, you can't have guys consistently that wide open without it being a coaching issue. Yes, there are personnel issues to boot, but coaching is the bigger factor. That late 4th qtr score by TB showed how disorganized, and unprepared they were, And that was coming out of a timeout. Very Nick Holt esque.

They started man'ing up more in the 2nd half and that helped, to tie into the fact they had to blitz more to bring pressure. They don't run a lot of games upfront. Which seems like it would be a good idea to create confusion, while not having to bring 5-or-6. Pete cleaned house on his offensive coaching staff after 2017. I think he is going to have to clean house on defense, after this year.

RANDOM PLAYER & COACHES NOTES

Kendricks is the best linebacker on the team by far.

Schotty with the nice RB screen design off of their typical deep playaction drop in the first series.

Jason Meyers... is one of the worst kickers in the league, but one of the highest paid. Good for him.

Marquis Blair needs to be good to infuse their defense with young cheap talent. So far it's looking like he is going to be a player.

Russell Wilson moves slower than Jameis Winston.

Jacob Hollister left 1-on-1 to block the guy leading the league in sacks, what could possible go wrong?

Winston with a terrible decision, and gets on of the luckiest TD's ever instead of a pick. But it also speaks to the lack of playmaking this defense has as well. That ball was in the air for what seemed like an eternity.

Ken "Nick Holt" Norton Jr.

David Moore can't win a 1-on-1 to save his life.

Russell Wilson missed Lockett for a 2nd TD, on a wide open playaction throwback. DK then didn't drag his backfoot for the conversion on 3rd down, then Jason Meyers missed the kick. Unbelievable.

Pete Ball on back to back Wilson sacks. Everyone going deep, with no one to dump the ball off to.

Ziggy "the Ghost" Ansah. You could put a cardboard cutout of him on the field and you wouldn't notice the difference.

Schotty with excellent misdirection design in the red zone on the 2nd TD drive.

Vita Vea is an animal. Along with Suh, no wonder teams struggle to run the ball against TB. Cool that Carson sprung one, but going back to that well consistently is fool's gold. Carson carried the ball like a loaf of bread and fumbled, luckily it went out of bounds. Carson again carries the ball like a loaf of bread and fumbled. This time it stayed in bounds.

Wilson hits Lockett on a nice scramble play, only he dropped it.

Wilson hits Lockett for the 3rd score through a very tiny window. You couldn't walk the ball out and place it any better.
Wilson to Lockett is a very special combination, stating the obvious.
Walk it to 'em Wilson to Lockett on the wheel route.

Meyers made a chip shot fieldgoal... barely.

I think Rasheem Green thought he had an easy scoop and score, I know he can run faster than that.

DK Metcalf might break that 8 TD prediction I had for him easily. If the ball is delivered within his frame on a deep ball oppurtinity no one is going to run him down. What a unique weapon.

Pete with another bad challenge. It wouldn't be a Seahawks game if he didn't do that, now would it?
Pete looking to burn all of his timeouts, so his MVP QB has no time to drive the field and win the game in regulation.

Ken "Nick Holt" Norton Jr. This team is ill prepared to play defense.

Pete balied out by Wilson again, engineering a nice drive with very little time, and the kicker misses, of course.

It must be nice to be a HC, and have Wilson as your QB. Wilson played a near flawless game, and they barely won.
The degree of difficulty is so high, and Wilson never flinches. Impressive.

FINAL THOUGHTS/LOOKING AHEAD

Wilson is the MVP of the league. Without him, the Seahawks would be in re-build mode, and one of the worst teams in the NFC. With him, they are contenders. Not major contenders mind you, but he gives them a chance.

It's been kind of like the quiet before the storm around here because we've been waiting for this 49ers game to come.
Well now it's here. Things are about to get real.

The Seahawks actually still control their own destiny. They have to beat the 49ers both times to do it, but with Wilson leading this team, he can make the daunting & impossible... possible.

MNF is for the Division crown for all intents & purposes. The Seahawks can make it a real race if they win.

SlickRick

Reaction score
My ruminations is..... Seahawks win, let's just enjoy it. One game at a time 7-2!!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I can only hope they're playing possum on defense & are going to roll something out for the 49ers that just blows everybody away.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fade":1hswr79x said:
.....Tical must be fuming! Wilson threw it 43 times, and they abandoned the run for long stretches. LMAO! They needed everyone of those tosses, or they would've been blown out.......
:stirthepot: :lol:

John63

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3erlqp0v said:
I can only hope they're playing possum on defense & are going to roll something out for the 49ers that just blows everybody away.

Lol I doubt it but hope.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Ziggy "the Ghost" Ansah. You could put a cardboard cutout of him on the field and you wouldn't notice the difference... Spot on, he's a shell of what he was 3 seasons ago... Huge mistake by Pete and John.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Wartooth":fzrg3ous said:
Ziggy "the Ghost" Ansah. You could put a cardboard cutout of him on the field and you wouldn't notice the difference... Spot on, he's a shell of what he was 3 seasons ago... Huge mistake by Pete and John.

Yup, that experiment is almost over.

tersal

Reaction score
"Ziggy "the Ghost" Ansah. You could put a cardboard cutout of him on the field and you wouldn't notice the difference."
In his small sample size Green looks far more impressive than Ansah time to give him more snaps.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Yes, we can enjoy the win, but anybody that has a job has to take the constructive criticism. It makes you stronger if you open up your ears.

Good points Fade.

I too was wondering if PC was playing some sort of wacky left field strategy in how he approached the games. But turns out, no. He'd better buy Russ a super expensive OBJ watch for Christmas, because without the clear 2019 NFL MVP our record would not...be good. Why did he waste another timeout on a PI challenge when it's a clearly an NFL stopgap to prevent the stoopid call that hosed NO last playoffs. To make a point? It's starting to feel like PC isn't crazy like a fox, but settled into his own old guy hubris.

The defense is passable, which is to say pass all day if you like! Shaq is baller, but I can't figure out why we have to give opposing teams glitzy stats on the pass game, is it talent or just playing zone too much or not at the right time, blah blah. Every third and long just ends with a pass up the middle against the Hawks. It's getting old.

Is it time to retire the Rocket? I'm not sure why Lockett is out there every kick watching the ball go out of the end zone, or fair catching it...his return stats have fallen way off, which I realize is affected by the rule changes on kickoff to minimize injuries league wide. He still has the wheelz and the skeelz to return it to the endzone, but every time I keep waiting for someone to clobber him, or snap his leg on an 8 yard return. Put somebody else out there to take a risk on a dying play.

Carson continues to impress, even though this wasn't really a good matchup for him. Hooray! Also our WR corp is looking pretty impressive...again credit RW. Not PC.

A win is a win, but the Hawks are not the Bad News Bears, even if they are rebuilding on D. Stop teasing us.

tersal

Reaction score
The defense gave up alot that being said we caught good Jameis today. When Jameis is good with those weapons most defenses are in for a long day.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The reason the seams are getting ripped up is because we are playing a no stunt 4-3 Zone.

Also, there is no reason that we are not at least getting some pressure on the QB. We have talent. Even when we send the house on a blitz there is no creativity whatsoever. Ears back run straight. If these things are our strengths, fine, but not either or every play. Hence seams getting blown up and great WRs getting open against man on man.

Teams must love prepping for us with the exception of RW.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Great post.

Yes this defense has some glaring weaknesses. I dont think it'll be fixes this year.
My opinion is they need 4 -5 new bodies on defense. Difference makers , a vocal leader to shape that side of the ball

They need a real DE. Clowney plays well but he isnt what we thought we were getting.

The db unit will improve . it takes time

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
AubHawk71":1xllff0a said:
Yes, we can enjoy the win, but anybody that has a job has to take the constructive criticism. It makes you stronger if you open up your ears.

Good points Fade.

I too was wondering if PC was playing some sort of wacky left field strategy in how he approached the games. But turns out, no. He'd better buy Russ a super expensive OBJ watch for Christmas, because without the clear 2019 NFL MVP our record would not...be good. Why did he waste another timeout on a PI challenge when it's a clearly an NFL stopgap to prevent the stoopid call that hosed NO last playoffs. To make a point? It's starting to feel like PC isn't crazy like a fox, but settled into his own old guy hubris.

The defense is passable, which is to say pass all day if you like! Shaq is baller, but I can't figure out why we have to give opposing teams glitzy stats on the pass game, is it talent or just playing zone too much or not at the right time, blah blah. Every third and long just ends with a pass up the middle against the Hawks. It's getting old.

Is it time to retire the Rocket? I'm not sure why Lockett is out there every kick watching the ball go out of the end zone, or fair catching it...his return stats have fallen way off, which I realize is affected by the rule changes on kickoff to minimize injuries league wide. He still has the wheelz and the skeelz to return it to the endzone, but every time I keep waiting for someone to clobber him, or snap his leg on an 8 yard return. Put somebody else out there to take a risk on a dying play.

Carson continues to impress, even though this wasn't really a good matchup for him. Hooray! Also our WR corp is looking pretty impressive...again credit RW. Not PC.

A win is a win, but the Hawks are not the Bad News Bears, even if they are rebuilding on D. Stop teasing us.

Yeah, I have thinking for a while now, that they have to pull Lockett off of kicks, but they probably do not have a serviceable replacement.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3a9s2hlo said:
The reason the seams are getting ripped up is because we are playing a no stunt 4-3 Zone.

Also, there is no reason that we are not at least getting some pressure on the QB. We have talent. Even when we send the house on a blitz there is no creativity whatsoever. Ears back run straight. If these things are our strengths, fine, but not either or every play. Hence seams getting blown up and great WRs getting open against man on man.

Teams must love prepping for us with the exception of RW.

You're a right on the 43 vanilla zone it is some Nick Holt BS. When they went man mor in the 2nd half, the outside DBs played with outside leverage giving easy inside pitch and catch routes. This defense is broken. Pete is going to have to roll his sleeves up and burn the midnight oil. Norton needs help.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe wasting a challenge is some superstitious thing Pete has to do?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I actually agreed with Pete's challenge. Not that I expected him to win it. It was to make a point, get the refs paying attention. And to give his D a breather. Maybe the refs start paying attention, maybe it makes Evans a little more cautions about his OPI push-offs. What Evans did was far more impactful than the BS DPI they called on Flowers in the first half.

Is it time to start a weekly, "Fire Norton" thread? Or is Norton not really the problem? I just know this D is hard to watch, giving up all those 3rd-and-long conversions, week after week.

Certainly it's time for some "Where's Ziggy" aka Waldo artwork as he hasn't been seen anywhere in the vicinity of any QBs lately.

Is Hollister going to be our answer at TE? At least in the passing game? Apart from Wilson, Hollister was the player of the game, and not just for the TD in OT. I recall someone here posting a thread about what a mismatch Hollister presents for defenses, then he gets placed on the practice squad. Well, I think he'll stick on the roster a while after this game.

Morgulon, dogging Clowney? Really??!! Dude makes so many plays, draws constant doubletearms, we would be totally screwed without him as part of our D.

I somehow knew Myers would screw up that GW kick at the end of regulation. Myers was just out of rhythm and shaky all game, even on kicks that went in. Injured? A flu bug that affected his balance? He didn't look right all game. No consistency in where the ball went. I do give him kicker-kudos for his near-tackle on a kickoff return, where it seemed he at least forced the TB returner out out bounds.

We made one more play than TB. I'll take it. This team dropped 55 on the Rams and beat them on the road.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1191178020704243713[/tweet]

OMG! Pete Carroll is crazy. Burning timeouts in a close game, just to prove a point. That everybody already knows.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fade":3jko4hdd said:

OMG! Pete Carroll is crazy. Burning timeouts in a close game, just to prove a point. That everybody already knows.
I'm not one of the Pete bashers but that's flat out insane and utterly shit coaching

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
olyfan63":1yi073j8 said:
I actually agreed with Pete's challenge. Not that I expected him to win it. It was to make a point, get the refs paying attention. And to give his D a breather. Maybe the refs start paying attention, maybe it makes Evans a little more cautions about his OPI push-offs. What Evans did was far more impactful than the BS DPI they called on Flowers in the first half.

Is it time to start a weekly, "Fire Norton" thread? Or is Norton not really the problem? I just know this D is hard to watch, giving up all those 3rd-and-long conversions, week after week.

Certainly it's time for some "Where's Ziggy" aka Waldo artwork as he hasn't been seen anywhere in the vicinity of any QBs lately.

Is Hollister going to be our answer at TE? At least in the passing game? Apart from Wilson, Hollister was the player of the game, and not just for the TD in OT. I recall someone here posting a thread about what a mismatch Hollister presents for defenses, then he gets placed on the practice squad. Well, I think he'll stick on the roster a while after this game.

Morgulon, dogging Clowney? Really??!! Dude makes so many plays, draws constant doubletearms, we would be totally screwed without him as part of our D.

I somehow knew Myers would screw up that GW kick at the end of regulation. Myers was just out of rhythm and shaky all game, even on kicks that went in. Injured? A flu bug that affected his balance? He didn't look right all game. No consistency in where the ball went. I do give him kicker-kudos for his near-tackle on a kickoff return, where it seemed he at least forced the TB returner out out bounds.

We made one more play than TB. I'll take it. This team dropped 55 on the Rams and beat them on the road.

See what I mean, crazy like a fox.

I don't think Hollister is the long term answer by any means. He has the benefit of no one knowing who the hell he is going for him right now. If Gordon can keep is head screwed on straight, to go along with Carson, Lockett, & Metcalf. He should be able to continue to fly under the radar and make some timely plays. I don't see an insane talent, or a very good talent for that matter. He is a crafty, big receiver, playing TE because he isn't fast enough to play wideout.

Given the right matchups as the forgotten man, he can make plays though.

seabowl

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1b7xlpbm said:
Fade":1b7xlpbm said:

I'm not one of the Pete bashers but that's flat out insane and utterly $h!t coaching

Fake news. No way Pete did it to prove a point. He thought he could win it.