Ruminations on the Bucs Game

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just a comment on the "best linebacker on the team by far": Our "best linebacker" abandoned his assignment to go get caught up in linemen, allowing Winston to run freely to the end zone.

That other guy we have, who is apparently not so good in very measurable ways in spite of being All Pro, racked up 11 tackles. The third guy, who might as well be a rookie I guess, got 10 tackles. Kendricks got 4.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Reed hadn't played in six weeks and this was only his second game. I'll give him a pass for not being a stud right off the bat.

Tical21

Reaction score
Lol, you really think I'm going to be upset after we get 500 yards of offense?

The primary reason it is essential for us to run the football successfully is to dictate that our opponent deploy simple coverages. Tampa just simply obliged us from the outset. Want to run Lockett and DK on crossers all day against 1st and 2nd year corners in man coverage that can't cover them, okay, here ya go. Heck, I'm a little disappointed we ran it as often as we did, to be honest.

olyfan63

Reaction score
seahawks-in-qc":3nbq2psq said:
I never saw a guy getting beat so often as Dean (35 of TB). I started to feel bad for the guy haha!

Wasn't it awesome to see the Seahawks and Russell and Schotty go after the rookie?
Seems we so rarely take advantage of matchup advantages that I'm just going to enjoy and savor that one.
Like in the old days how other teams would find our worst O-Lineman and put their best pass rusher over him.
Dean had some decent plays too, looks like he will develop into a solid player for them.

Tical21

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":20rzge5p said:
Just a comment on the "best linebacker on the team by far": Our "best linebacker" abandoned his assignment to go get caught up in linemen, allowing Winston to run freely to the end zone.

That other guy we have, who is apparently not so good in very measurable ways in spite of being All Pro, racked up 11 tackles. The third guy, who might as well be a rookie I guess, got 10 tackles. Kendricks got 4.
He batted down a pass though. Kendricks has been a mess in both coverage and run fits all year, which prompted us to find a different option (Diggs).

KJ played like one of the best LBs in the NFL on Sunday. His ability to diagnose and then get around blockers to make plays was insane.

Tical21

Reaction score
Pete will never go for the throat early, as long as he has Russell Wilson playing at a high level. Being aggressive carries some risk. Pete, with his quarterback, views risk as unnecessary. As long as Pete can manage a way to make sure at all costs that they don't get blown out and the game is close, he'll let his QB go win for him. And to be fair, it works really, really freaking well. A common take is that Pete would be average if he didn't have a quarterback to win games for him. You don't get it. That's exactly what he wants. He feels that if he gives Russell a chance to win the game, he's done his job. The rest is on Russ. There's a reason we get blown out far less than anybody else. There's a reason Russ has more 4th quarter TD's, comebacks, wins than everybody else. It's all by design. Quit complaining and enjoy winning.

chris98251

Reaction score
I prefer the offense out of the gate right now, we get a couple score lead and allow the defense now to play with a ball hawk mentality, allow us to run some blitz's and stunts and or DB's to challenge passes and get a pick or two. This allows the aggressiveness on defense to happen, force more mistakes and turn overs and if we get burnt at times we have a lead and can recover. We can play tighter coverage and man much more also and not have the big cushion.

He doesn't have to trust the defense, but trust Wilson and the offense right now.

Vesuve

Reaction score
SlickRick":3rsh6tkp said:
My ruminations is..... Seahawks win, let's just enjoy it. One game at a time 7-2!!

There is a LOT to be concerned about, IMO.

Also, I know Nick Holt was DC for the Huskies but have not followed them closely for years.

Norton has more and more critics. How is he similar to Holt.

You folks know more than I do.

TIA.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fade I love these, well done.

It's why I call out the "look Russ threw it a lot and we lost!" crowd because it's such a flawed argument. There are too many variables to say that as Sunday proved. Sometimes it's needed, especially when you're defense is terrible to throw the ball a ton to keep up.

I think Diggs getting healthy will help the defense more than people realize. They will play more nickel, the pass rush will be in a better position to get pressure and some of this stuff will work itself out. They won't be great or even good but they will be better.

Wilson is ridiculous and the best player in the league. End of discussion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I realize I'm just a "homer" but when they were down 21-7, I was telling everyone around me they would win. And I had no doubt about it. This team coming back is not a surprise. Now have a kicker who has been as bad as Walsh wasn't expected.

thegameq

Reaction score
Russ is awesome.
Russ to Tyler is awesome.
All of this team's talent is on the offense side of the ball.
What's going on with the LBers?
The secondary sucks.
Still no pass rush. I remember watching the SB team pass rush and it was violent, nasty and savage. You could see the opponents offensive linemen struggling to stay in front of their man. This group--not so much. They look stalemated--like their dancing with the offensive linemen.
Shotty deserves props for really attacking the weakness of the Bucs.
Pete is Pete. Hopefully he has come to the realization that his current defense sucks. Hopefully.
Ughhhhhhh.......what has happened to field goal kicking league wide? Was it ever this sporadic?

We have become the Packers of a few seasons ago. All offense, no defense. Let our superstar quarterback win games for us.

On to the Niners.......

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That worked out pretty well for the Packers when their QB was healthy.

Since our SB loss, they didn't go to a SB but they certainly went farther in the playoffs than we did.

Why would that be a bad thing?

You know this is a 5-6 win team (if that) with an average QB right? Leveraging our superstar QB seems the best route to the better season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our Linebackers are suited for attacking the edge and going forward and covering TE's and sealing lanes, not dropping into coverage typically every passing down. With quicker slot guys and RB's on delayed screens they get caught in no mans land a lot and have to react, why a Nickel guys works better they are quicker to the pass and quicker to change direction typically with the shiftier slot guy. That or the pull the CB away with a go route guy and open up a whole side of the field for a crossing pattern with a LB trying to cover and catch a receiver like we see done on Flowers side a lot. A Nickel usually can run with that guy so it's not there.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]Pe2LXOX10Yw[/youtube]

Peter King: "In my opinion that is insane by Pete Carroll."

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Fade":1aidt2e4 said:

Probably less insane and more stupid. But in the heat of the moment we all do stupid things. Wilson's pick six against Baltimore was pretty stupid too as I saw Peters baiting him from a mile away. As soon as I saw Wilson looking to throw that way, I muttered to the guy in the seat next to me, "That's a pick 6." So even MVP QB's have brain farts.

Pete had a brain fart that cost a TO. I'm actually more pissed about the TO they took soon after and then still blew the coverage leaving Evans wide open at the 5.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2zdhikxu said:
Fade":2zdhikxu said:

Probably less insane and more stupid. But in the heat of the moment we all do stupid things. Wilson's pick six against Baltimore was pretty stupid too as I saw Peters baiting him from a mile away. As soon as I saw Wilson looking to throw that way, I muttered to the guy in the seat next to me, "That's a pick 6." So even MVP QB's have brain farts.

Pete had a brain fart that cost a TO. I'm actually more pissed about the TO they took soon after and then still blew the coverage leaving Evans wide open at the 5.
The issue is that this is a reoccurring theme with Pete Carroll.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2xgrdyc1 said:
Fade":2xgrdyc1 said:

There was no brain fart. Pete knew when he challenged it, it would not get overturned. He did it to send a message that the league wasn't overturning PI. It could've cost his team the game. But he has Russell Wilson to cover his ass. It must be nice.

And I too was more upset about the timeout after. And how discombobulated the defense was after they took that timeout.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Crazy like a fox.

I have given up on getting angry on Petey's clock management/timeout, just as I have with stoopid penalties in general. This one kinda bridges that gap, actually.

I know it's easy to armchair coach a lot of decisions, but even a semi-invested fan has to wonder what he is thinking some times with stunts like this.