Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
1. The O-line was not fine last year
2. The O-line needs to get better they have to upgrade at Center
3. Alot of people on this forum overvalue the talent on this roster
4. Wilson is well within his rights to ask for better talent up front and i agree with him
5. It starts upfront always has always will

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What we saw in the playoffs was really eye opening, and obvious. It all starts in the trenches. Rams killed the Hawks in the trenches. And we just saw the Bucs do the exact same thing thru the playoffs and in the Super Bowl.
Side note, remember when Peyton Manning said "Let's just say we had protection problems today" after a game?
Nobody batted an eye.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am so proud of Wilson.

For years, the thing that bothered me with Wilson was the whole company man thing.

That he is now willing to call Carroll out publicly is a great sign.

The final and best phase of this would be Wilson shaking off Carroll's calls and doing what he wants on the football field.

That would be amazing.

The biggest problem with the Seahawks is a coach that has outdated tactics and strategies he forces even though it isn't even a fit for his roster. The 2nd is the tendency of this team to diminish the value of certain positions.

Wilson calling the Seahawks (and by extension, Carroll) out is one of the greatest signs for the success of this team I can imagine.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
this right here ^^^
Very glad he finally said something. Again, it's no different than what top tier athletes have been doing for decades. They make it known what they want. Let's not pretend this is something unique. We just have never seen Russ come out and be straight up like this. It has nothing to do with how much I like him as a player, he has a flat out right to voice his concerns. Just look at the O Line rankings that someone posted. It's pathetic, and has been.

getnasty

Reaction score
massari":1a0rpxsn said:
getnasty":1a0rpxsn said:
Thoughts

1. OL was not a problem this year.

3. Man up and say what you want in house, if that does
happen then publicly stat your displeasure.
The OL was a problem.

Maybe he has been saying these things in house and they weren't listening to him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1359282094229381123[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1359291360763916298[/tweet]

He may have been saying these things that i don't know.

OL has definitely been below average pass blocking over the years but pretty good run blocking.

Russ holds the ball and takes way more sacks then needed. Part of that is also what makes him great at times.

Scheme certainly plays a roll into pass pro. Why throw your OL under the bus publicly for something that is just as much Pete's fault.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have brought in TEs, DEs, and practically Pizza Delivery men to play OL.

Weirdly, it works.

Sort of.

Because while you are spinning up this lineman into being a professional, he is blowing assignments, screwing up, letting people past, and struggling. Which means, the guys to his left or right (or both) often have to compensate for him. And in doing, cannot concentrate on their own job.

We have seen this. Not a mystery.

So even when it works, you only get an effective lineman for close to half the time you could.

But Pete wants to run the ball. And run blocking is easier than pass blocking.
(Honestly, we used to have a strategy of putting scrubs in and just diving at the knees of the defenders. But then the NFL outlawed that, because it was illegal cut blocking.)

Generally building an org, you get the people you with expertise/ability you focus on most. Pete focuses on versatility and on run blocking. So we get that. But our best weapons are in the passing game. The game itself is rigged to favor the passing game.

We throw resources into building a line but we do a terrible job of it and that is likely because we never prioritized having a good pass blocking line.

It makes complete sense Wilson would be frustrated. WE are frustrated and we don't even take the hits.

Throwing a bunch of garbage at the wall to see what sticks is not an effective strategy. But it appears to be the plan with the OL and has been for some time. Pete literally does the absolute minimum he has to as a coach on offense, and he applies this ridiculous strategy to his OL as well.

Shockingly, the OL rarely is very effective.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
massari thanks for those stats, they confirm what we've been seeing for years. The OLine is truly the problem. However, finding ways to have RW get rid of the ball quicker would help a lot.

The problem has been the interior of the Line this year and finding ways to slow down Aaron Donald will be essential for divisional success going forward.

I agree with comments that the team is weak at C and I'd say as well at LG, those positions need to be bolstered going forward. Looking at the present depth chart that seems to be the view of the team as well.

I'd welcome Britt back at C but his contract would need to be right. The team should draft a top ranked C or G or make this an offseason priority.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":334ju57x said:
The same LOB that NEVER took blame for 49? Not even a little bit?

The same LOB that were all hurt and depended on the offense to score some points and they couldnt? Zero points in the 4th quarter. Yeah that LOB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Team loss, period. But as usual, nothing is ever the fault of the defense. Got it.
This horse has been dead for 6 years.
Go Hawks

Ramfan128

Reaction score
jammerhawk":hey1078y said:
massari thanks for those stats, they confirm what we've been seeing for years. The OLine is truly the problem. However, finding ways to have RW get rid of the ball quicker would help a lot.

The problem has been the interior of the Line this year and finding ways to slow down Aaron Donald will be essential for divisional success going forward.

I agree with comments that the team is weak at C and I'd say as well at LG, those positions need to be bolstered going forward. Looking at the present depth chart that seems to be the view of the team as well.

I'd welcome Britt back at C but his contract would need to be right. The team should draft a top ranked C or G or make this an offseason priority.

This is a great point and could be part of Wilson's frustration.

Donald has been the best DT in the league for years now, and Carroll/Schneider have apparently never structured the team to deal with him.

Obviously on a year by year basis, you can see how it could happen ("there was no guard or center worth taking in the first round" or "no free agent upgrade available") - but from Wilson's perspective, he's had arguably the best football player on the planet lining up from a few yards away from him at least twice a year and little investment to protect him?

It screams PC wanting to win his way and basically just having Wilson adlib for offensive success. Wilson's TD to Metcalf against us may have been the best offensive play in the entire postseason, and IMO Carroll has relied on Wilson doing those things for far too long.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Outstanding take. And from a Rams fan to boot. You have a better grasp on the Hawks than many Hawks fans do :mrgreen:

potatohead33

Reaction score
This is probably something Wilson has been fighting for behind the scenes for several years, but because nothing has really happened he has decided to try a different strategy.

He does need to get rid of the ball more quickly, and they need more short passing game, but the Oline has been bad for a long time and needs to be addressed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3bgt4sed said:
SoulfishHawk":3bgt4sed said:

The same LOB that were all hurt and depended on the offense to score some points and they couldnt? Zero points in the 4th quarter. Yeah that LOB.
This!
It needed to be said ..Kam,Sherm and Earl were all playing hurt.
Avril and Maxwell got hurt during the game and were done.
What did old glory do in fourth?Threw a pick over the middle.
:177692:

potatohead33

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1pp4nj9a said:
pittpnthrs":1pp4nj9a said:
SoulfishHawk":1pp4nj9a said:

This!
It needed to be said ..Kam,Sherm and Earl were all playing hurt.
Avril and Maxwell got hurt during the game and were done.
What did old glory do in fourth?Threw a pick over the middle.
:177692:

Lane broke his arm early in that game too

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1t8gtmi4 said:
Outstanding take. And from a Rams fan to boot. You have a better grasp on the Hawks than many Hawks fans do :mrgreen:

I am genuinely in awe at how many Seahawk fans here seem to be taking Wilson for granted. Dude is easily going to finish as a top 10 QB all time and could get higher. Easily the best Seahawks player of all time. Labeling someone a "winner" isn't something I normally do (Goff showed that you could win games as a QB without actually being good), but there's nothing Wilson doesnt do: never gets hurt, close to the highest passer rating all time, never had a losing season. Absolutely crazy.

Also, a Rams fan did the math because of Wilson talking about getting hit too much and the Rams are responsible for 18% of the sacks that Wilson has taken in his career. That's not as crazy as it sounds because a division rival account for 12.5% of the game in a season.

But that's also why you generally want to build a team with your rivals in mind.