Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.

ducks41468

Reaction score
And Russ's salary does not prevent the Seahawks from having a functional o-line. The Seahawks being complete and utter ass at drafting linemen is the reason for that. I didn't realize Russ consumed all of our draft picks with his salary or accounts for the other 83 or so percent of the cap that could, you know, be used on o-line as well.

But I guess I see the point, 100m+ in cap that isn't being spent on the QB is clearly not nearly enough to get even a single quality lineman, since we know that they cost exactly 103m each. That's Brady has such a great team, because he took a paycut that accounts for an additional 3% of the cap, which makes aaalllllllll the difference.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3sawt0u3 said:
ducks41468":3sawt0u3 said:
Jerhawk":3sawt0u3 said:
ducks41468":3sawt0u3 said:
Where are these numbers coming from?

I mean if we're making up numbers then hell, Russ should take a 900 billion dollar paycut so that we can sign Lebron, Godzilla, and Barney the dinosaur to play o-line and have Russ throw the ball 5 seconds before its snapped to a receiver that's simultaneously 50 yards downfield wide open in the endzone and also onside.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

Shows $31 mil in the link provided.

He can't be the highest paid player on the team, then turn around and cry about not having protection. If he truly is about winning, then restructure the contract to give the team some cap relief and get the help.

What does this response have to do with my post? Read it again.

I honestly cant figure out what you're saying man.
Barney? Godzilla?

You responded to the poster who said Wilson is making $25 million. You provided a link that shows Wilson is actually making $31 million, so I really don't know what you're getting other than overly obnoxious and condescending responses throughout the board.

Russ makes 31m. Brady makes 25. That's a 6m discount. Math is real hard.

And yeah I chose violence today because this fanbase is dense as a brick.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
ducks41468":117qwj61 said:
hoxrox":117qwj61 said:
Best way the FO can support Russ this off season is to:

1) Hire a new offensive coordinator who will implement a balanced attack – Check.
2) Continue to upgrade the O-line – guard and center – Pending.
3) Draft a stud RB who will make defenses respect the run game. Pending.
4) Find a reliable third down target, whether that’s a WR, RB or TE. Pending.

On Russ side, here’s where he can improve this off season:

1) Hit receivers in stride on crossers like Mahomes can do with regularity
2) Learn to attack the entire field and let players around him make plays
3) Drop few pounds / get faster / quicker
4) Get better at pre-snap reads / be ready audible when needed

What is this balanced post? Don't you know that Russ needs to be shipped out for a third and replaced with Geno?

Incidentally, I periodically peruse reddit and other broader NFL boards and of course the fans that hate Russ the most are overwhelmingly Seahawks fans. Unique phenomenon compared to every other team.
Count me in as a Seahawks fan who is happy we have Russell Wilson and thinks we have one of the top 5 best QBs in the league... and is still able to be upset with him.

I have been vocal in other threads that the number one fault of our team lies with Pete, but the idea that Russell should be calling out his O-Line after half a season of just terrible adjustments on his part is ridiculous. This was the best O-Line he's had and really, they have been forced--BY RUSSELL--to put in blocking work that OLs should not be expected to do. How many times this year do you think those guys had been tracking the time of a play in their mind and trying to figure out why they are blocking 5 seconds later on a play designed to be done in 2?

If I'm those guys, I'm seeing this interview from Russ and I might be a bit pissed off right now.

I love RW's ability to turn nothing into something but I also hate that he spent so much of this year throwing away something trying to get everything because he was desperate to keep his name in the MVP conversation.

Russ's bad habits aren't entirely on him, I recognize that. Pete's failure to develop an offensive identity that doesn't rely on either A) His RB to break 5 tackles every time he touches the ball or B) When that fails hoping Russ will bail us out with some magic is a major contributor to that. It is to Wilson's credit that he has made B work so many times but it seems to have developed bad tendencies in situations where we just need 6 yards on a slant not 'magic'.

We've got one of the best QBs in the league. I'm happy he's here. I don't want him to go anywhere. But he should not be considered immune from criticism. Some of it, is probably unfair and is more just personality (yeah, his interviews ARE terrible most of the time but he's not the first QB to go a bit Hollywood, either... I think Seattle fans aren't too used to that given our last good QB was Matt Hasselbeck who's name only would be recognized by fans in the cities where he played) but he has also left lots of yards on the field, especially the second half of this year, with his decision making issues and to call out his line afterwards is going to rub people the wrong way.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ducks41468":1qq1gceb said:
Jerhawk":1qq1gceb said:
ducks41468":1qq1gceb said:
Jerhawk":1qq1gceb said:

He can't be the highest paid player on the team, then turn around and cry about not having protection. If he truly is about winning, then restructure the contract to give the team some cap relief and get the help.

Barney? Godzilla?

You responded to the poster who said Wilson is making $25 million. You provided a link that shows Wilson is actually making $31 million, so I really don't know what you're getting other than overly obnoxious and condescending responses throughout the board.

Well you hurt my feelings so you accomplished that today. Not hard to do since I'm softer than the Hawks O line.

But $6 mil right there could afford the team a good left guard.
And I don't hate Russell, I'm usually defending the guy like no other on here. I don't agree with people attacking his off field stuff.
All I'm getting at is if he's truly about the team winning, he has an odd way of going about it from a business standpoint.
And him saying this stuff to the media is out of character and does nothing to help the team. That's all.

ducks41468

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":j4qm96aa said:
ducks41468":j4qm96aa said:
hoxrox":j4qm96aa said:

1) Hire a new offensive coordinator who will implement a balanced attack – Check.

What is this balanced post? Don't you know that Russ needs to be shipped out for a third and replaced with Geno?

Incidentally, I periodically peruse reddit and other broader NFL boards and of course the fans that hate Russ the most are overwhelmingly Seahawks fans. Unique phenomenon compared to every other team.
Count me in as a Seahawks fan who is happy we have Russell Wilson and thinks we have one of the top 5 best QBs in the league... and is still able to be upset with him.

I have been vocal in other threads that the number one fault of our team lies with Pete, but the idea that Russell should be calling out his O-Line after half a season of just terrible adjustments on his part is ridiculous. This was the best O-Line he's had and really, they have been forced--BY RUSSELL--to put in blocking work that OLs should not be expected to do. How many times this year do you think those guys had been tracking the time of a play in their mind and trying to figure out why they are blocking 5 seconds later on a play designed to be done in 2?

If I'm those guys, I'm seeing this interview from Russ and I might be a bit pissed off right now.

I love RW's ability to turn nothing into something but I also hate that he spent so much of this year throwing away something trying to get everything because he was desperate to keep his name in the MVP conversation.

Russ's bad habits aren't entirely on him, I recognize that. Pete's failure to develop an offensive identity that doesn't rely on either A) His RB to break 5 tackles every time he touches the ball or B) When that fails hoping Russ will bail us out with some magic is a major contributor to that. It is to Wilson's credit that he has made B work so many times but it seems to have developed bad tendencies in situations where we just need 6 yards on a slant not 'magic'.

We've got one of the best QBs in the league. I'm happy he's here. I don't want him to go anywhere. But he should not be considered immune from criticism. Some of it, is probably unfair and is more just personality (yeah, his interviews ARE terrible most of the time but he's not the first QB to go a bit Hollywood, either... I think Seattle fans aren't too used to that given our last good QB was Matt Hasselbeck who's name only would be recognized by fans in the cities where he played) but he has also left lots of yards on the field, especially the second half of this year, with his decision making issues and to call out his line afterwards is going to rub people the wrong way.

Of course he's not immune to it, but he's getting overwhelmingly blasted for finally making some sort of comment about it after 8 years when other QB's, including all great QB's, whine and complain all the time and their fans adore them for their tenacity and fire.

I do follow other teams and the response is completely hypocritical. I mean Stafford, a guy who couldn't win a big game, was roundly supported for finally being traded to a winning team by his fans. And here we get...this. You'd think he was Goff or Wentz

Tinamedina

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2kjx056k said:
At some point, Seattle FO will get tired of Wilson.

Is Wilson, only a player?

Or is Wilson, a player who thinks he’s also an executive (due to his leverage as franchise QB)?

At some point, Carroll, is also going to get frustrated as well.

Carroll at some point will probably think, “Who do you think you are?”

I personally enjoy this soap opera that is Wilson’s camp vs Seattle’s FO.

Let’s see how this plays out. Lol.

Who does Russell Wilson think he is?

The man who is LITERALLY the reason Pete Carroll still has his job. The man who carried this team to winning seasons despite adversity for 8 years. The man who helped DK metcalf blossom into superstar status, spent almost the whole off season at his house, to help DK get better and develop chemistry.
The man who's jersey is one the most popular jersey while being on an unpopular team. People pay to see RUSSELL WILSON not pete carroll. Pete Carroll needs to get it together or get out of the way.

bandiger

Reaction score
ducks41468":gx2zuxme said:
Jerhawk":gx2zuxme said:
ducks41468":gx2zuxme said:
Jerhawk":gx2zuxme said:

Barney? Godzilla?

Makes no sense considering any QB would look just like Russ or worse with the way the offense works. Having to face the Donald 3 times this season and watching the pocket collapse randomly while trying to take deep shots. You can throw short passes but being so predictable still leads to pick sixes and 3 and outs. Its a pete and john problem with how long this PC keeps middling coaches and then picking the wrong lineman every draft it seems.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Paul Gallant. Immediate disqualification....not even worth reading 5 lines coming from that idiot.
He has been blasting Russ for WEEKS. And who the hell is Paul Gallant?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3nuct16o said:
Paul Gallant. Immediate disqualification....not even worth reading 5 lines coming from that idiot.
He has been blasting Russ for WEEKS. And who the hell is Paul Gallant?

Paul Gallant is a highly respected radio personality who came here from Houston with an annoying voice and is the reason I no longer listen to 710

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
ducks41468":319weeah said:
Of course he's not immune to it, but he's getting overwhelmingly blasted for finally making some sort of comment about it after 8 years when other QB's, including all great QB's, whine and complain all the time and their fans adore them for their tenacity and fire.

I do follow other teams and the response is completely hypocritical. I mean Stafford, a guy who couldn't win a big game, was roundly supported for finally being traded to a winning team by his fans. And here we get...this. You'd think he was Goff or Wentz
Well, that's not 'hypocritical'. That's two different groups responding differently.

In my case, I'm not other fans and I don't applaud other teams QBs throwing their teammates under the bus and just chalk it up to 'tenacity and fire'. If it gets results, ok, I guess I understand it, but I don't like it from anybody. Rather than being hypocritical that makes me consistent. (My least favorite QB in the NFL is Rodgers because of the whining he did following the 'Fail Mary' game and I never lost that opinion of him as a complainer... also, the fact that he's really good and thus makes GB a formidable opponent in the NFC doesn't help.)

My problem with this specific tact by Russ, though, is that he's calling out a OL that he also left high and dry a lot of the year. Would you be ok with Duane Brown taking veiled shots at Russ because he's tired of having to block twice as long as designed on every play?

That said... I still mostly blame Pete for our stalled (borderline nonexistent) offensive philosophy. Hopefully, this new OC will be the change we need and who knows? Maybe Russ putting this out in the media (even if I don't agree with it personally) will be enough to lead the entire org to do some soul searching and fix the issues we are having. (Pete's deficiencies have been so consistent across multiple OCs and QBs that I doubt it, though.)

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
It might be nice if some of you would add some context to your takes. Russ has agreed to a partial restructuring of his deal in the past and none of us have any proof that he isn’t currently working with the team on similar paths. And the Hawks made I believe 19 Oline moves before last season, obviously no home runs but it wasn’t for lack of effort. And for as much as I’ve read none of his comments seem anywhere near inflammatory. But I think a poster above pointed out why Russ is received the way he is...

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":2f13bxm6 said:
ducks41468":2f13bxm6 said:

Well, that's not 'hypocritical'. That's two different groups responding differently.

In my case, I'm not other fans and I don't applaud other teams QBs throwing their teammates under the bus and just chalk it up to 'tenacity and fire'. If it gets results, ok, I guess I understand it, but I don't like it from anybody. Rather than being hypocritical that makes me consistent. (My least favorite QB in the NFL is Rodgers because of the whining he did following the 'Fail Mary' game and I never lost that opinion of him as a complainer... also, the fact that he's really good and thus makes GB a formidable opponent in the NFC doesn't help.)

My problem with this specific tact by Russ, though, is that he's calling out a OL that he also left high and dry a lot of the year. Would you be ok with Duane Brown taking veiled shots at Russ because he's tired of having to block twice as long as designed on every play?

That said... I still mostly blame Pete for our stalled (borderline nonexistent) offensive philosophy. Hopefully, this new OC will be the change we need and who knows? Maybe Russ putting this out in the media (even if I don't agree with it personally) will be enough to lead the entire org to do some soul searching and fix the issues we are having. (Pete's deficiencies have been so consistent across multiple OCs and QBs that I doubt it, though.)

I would agree with you, but Russ did include himself as someone who needs to play better. If he just came out and said everyone else needs to get better then yeah, that's bad. But this is saying that everyone, including him and coaches, need to pick it up and be better and make adjustments.

Let's not forget, DK also said teams figured them out and they didn't make adjustments. So between him and Russ, and what Brandon Marshal was saying, I'm thinking more than a few players want adjustments from management on how the offense is run.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
hoxrox":zhy4me9x said:

Lol be more like mahomes? The mahomes who cracked under the first sign of pressure? Russell Wilson doesn't crack under pressure. Maybe Mahomes should be more like Wilson. You cant be better than the blueprint. I can't tell if yall are fans or not.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tinamedina":27114k4a said:
hoxrox":27114k4a said:

Lol be more like mahomes? The mahomes who cracked under the first sign of pressure? Russell Wilson doesn't crack under pressure. Maybe Mahomes should be more like Wilson. You cant be better than the blueprint. I can't tell if yall are fans or not.

Lets be honest, Wilson spent his whole career here pretty much facing the Kill Kurt drill, Mahomes has had one of the cleanest Jerseys in the league up till his last game and probably didn't even know there was such a thing as a Kill Kurt Drill.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":2iearttw said:
I would agree with you, but Russ did include himself as someone who needs to play better. If he just came out and said everyone else needs to get better then yeah, that's bad. But this is saying that everyone, including him and coaches, need to pick it up and be better and make adjustments.

Let's not forget, DK also said teams figured them out and they didn't make adjustments. So between him and Russ, and what Brandon Marshal was saying, I'm thinking more than a few players want adjustments from management on how the offense is run.
That's true, he did include himself and to be fair to Russ, I think him trying to say 'I'm tired of being hit' might have been his way of trying to somewhat change what was originally reported as a specific criticism of the O-Line into sort of a general commentary against failures of the entire offense (which is what I hope he was trying to do even if it still kind of comes off as a crit of the O-Line).

And as I said, the primary culprit for our problems, to me, still lie with Pete. That doesn't change what Russ failed to do (and some of the takes I see trying to protect his failure to complete accurate and timely short and middle reads by referencing their magical spot in the progression or his failure to make pre-snap adjustments to his reads as if that's something a HOF level QB shouldn't be expected are ridiculous), but our entire offensive philosophy has needed change for multiple seasons now.

That's going to require Pete to develop the humility to finally accept that he doesn't know how to run an offense and never has and I think Russ is also going to have to accept some changes to an offense that hopefully will not be asking him to make highlight reel plays on such a regular basis.

Overall, I personally just think the O-Line has been too much of a scapegoat for our problems this year. I'm not saying we shouldn't want better than average (which is what our O-Line mostly was, slightly better than average during the early part of the season before every team started dropping two high safeties on us every play, every game) but we also can't act like average OL play leads to some of the worst QB pressure and hit rates in the league. The difference needs to be laid at the feet of our scheme and yes, to some degree, our QB.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
chris98251":1bob79nd said:
Tinamedina":1bob79nd said:
hoxrox":1bob79nd said:

Lets be honest, Wilson spent his whole career here pretty much facing the Kill Kurt drill, Mahomes has had one of the cleanest Jerseys in the league up till his last game and probably didn't even know there was such a thing as a Kill Kurt Drill.

I knew Mahomes couldnt handle pressure when he went up against the panthers, chargers, raiders aka good defenses. Of course the bucs would be too much for him.