Russell Wilson's record when attempting 21 or less passes

ivotuk

Reaction score
Very nice! Goes right along with the link I just posted to Jon Kitna talking about Russell Wilson! :)

sutz

Reaction score
So you're saying maybe we shouldn't work on improving the passing game?

;)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
But what about this most recent performance against the Saints? The Seahawks LOST that game because of Wilson's inaccuracy and lack of attempts. The entire passing game struggles cost us...

wait, what? We won?

Basis4day

Reaction score
With numbers like that you would think we were a power running team.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Key stat in all of that. 3 INT's in those ELEVEN wins.

If they need to throw the ball, they'll find a way to throw the ball. But if they don't need to. With this defense?! You do whatever it takes to WIN. Fantasy football season is over.

[youtube]b5-iJUuPWis[/youtube]

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I love how "I am worried about our passing game when we need to pass" has turned into "YOU GUYS THINK WE NEED TO THROW THE BALL MORE AND RUN LESS?????"

This place just keeps going down the rabbit hole.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":6mruqfrw said:
I love how "I am worried about our passing game when we need to pass" has turned into "YOU GUYS THINK WE NEED TO THROW THE BALL MORE AND RUN LESS?????"

Do you also love how "I am worried about our passing game when we need to pass" turns into "Bevell sucks. Wilson's regressing. Our O-line sucks. Our WRs suck. Everything sucks. We're doomed."? :|

Pick6

Reaction score
Not saying Wilson is a game manager like Alex Smith, but those numbers look like what a game manager would do.

Anthony!

Reaction score
volsunghawk":8fup2v5o said:
But what about this most recent performance against the Saints? The Seahawks LOST that game because of Wilson's inaccuracy and lack of attempts. The entire passing game struggles cost us...

wait, what? We won?

Ahh we beat the saints

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pick6":1hvk0o71 said:
Not saying Wilson is a game manager like Alex Smith, but those numbers look like what a game manager would do.

The difference is when needed to Rw can get you 300+ yards and 4+ tds a game

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Stat totally makes sense. He throws that few passes, it probably means the team is playing from ahead, running the ball and being conservative. When he's throwing 30+ passes the Hawks are probably playing from behind. That being said, I think we are going to have to see more plays out of the passing game to win this time around.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RW doesn't call the plays. The OC has obviously had orders to go very conservative when leading by a couple of scores. Even in the playoffs there may be something to be gained by winning with a minimal number of plays from your playbook. If that's their course, the superb owl should include the entire play book and that would be really fun to see.

Basis4day

Reaction score
What's shocking to me is the surprise that Wilson doesn't throw more in a game with 40 mph winds and rain when we led the entire game and Lynch was a monster.

Seeker

Reaction score
I don't play fantasy football, I play FOR REAL football!!
*hops on giant seahawk and flys away*

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1ixrwbse said:

That's not what this post or thread is saying AT ALL. Chill. It's a response to the many fans out there who see small passing yardage or attempts and freak out for that reason alone.

You are just and valid in your concerns about the issues with the passing game in the scenarios you describe. Those are concerns. Not the fact that RW is throwing for low lardage. But keep in mind, your view isn't the majority of fans out there. Most people freaking over Wilson and the passing game aren't looking at things as complex or specified as you do. It's a much dumber, simplistic viewpoint. They want the ball thrown all over the place. They want big stats. It's the view that Brock Huard deals with on the radio and Twitter every day. They aren't specifically concerned with 3rd down passing efficiency or being varied in the passing attack. They just want big passing numbers. And that's why Brock pointed out this specific stat. He's not saying there aren't things to worry about. He's saying, you do whatever it takes to win the game. That's not a point against anything to do with needing to fine tune 3rd down passing.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
SeaTown81":250clfkx said:
Brock Huard
@BrockESPN

Russell Wilson's record when attempting 21 or less passes in a game? 11-0 w/14TD/3 Ints. (Including both his wins vs SF) #WhateverItTakes

https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/423367142608621568

This is what I have been alluding to for weeks. Our team is designed to win while passing for as little as possible. If we can win without throwing a pass then we would in a heartbeat. Lean on Marshawn and the defense.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1wd0epts said:
Stat totally makes sense. He throws that few passes, it probably means the team is playing from ahead, running the ball and being conservative. When he's throwing 30+ passes the Hawks are probably playing from behind. That being said, I think we are going to have to see more plays out of the passing game to win this time around.

Exactly. Just like last game, we had a healthy lead almost the entire game so we shifted into beastmode and chunked out a win based of field position and ball control. Absolutely no reason for Wilson to pass a ton in that one and about a dozen reasons NOT to (wind, rain, limit turnovers, etc).

I expect SF to be a little stouter against our run than NO was, and it's also looking like weather isn't going to be as big of a concern as last week, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Russell sling it a little bit more, but I don't see them waivering too much from the gameplan (run, play good D, limit turnovers, priority on field position) unless something goes pretty wrong and SF gets up on us early. If Percy's good to go and plays all day, I can see Russell's passing numbers improving overall based on Percy's YAC on things like bubble screens, etc. but it won't change the gameplan. Those bubble screens etc. are very high percentage throws and are pretty much just really long handoffs.