Saints and 49er's Heavyweight Bout

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Great game but..

Why do officiating blunders follow the Saints?

Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can), clearly OPI by Sanders on the 75 yard TD - one of the worst OPIs I've seen this year, and it sure didn't look like a hit to the head on Juszczyk.

SF49r

Reaction score
I thought there was pretty bad officiating from both sides. Saints getting away with false starts, offensive holding, and illegal blocks in the back but they threw those flags on us easily. Also the Saints last 2 drives, a phantom holding call and a DPI on a very uncatchable ball on failed 3rd and longs which led to touchdowns. Saints had 0 penalties until the 4th, the last thing they want to do is complain about the refs.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SF49r":6zmd8fel said:
I thought there was pretty bad officiating from both sides. Saints getting away with false starts, offensive holding, and illegal blocks in the back but they threw those flags on us easily. Also the Saints last 2 drives, a phantom holding call and a DPI on a very uncatchable ball on failed 3rd and longs which led to touchdowns. Saints had 0 penalties until the 4th, the last thing they want to do is complain about the refs.

Consider the source.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Ramfan128":kyvly9e8 said:
Great game but..

Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can), clearly OPI by Sanders on the 75 yard TD - one of the worst OPIs I've seen this year, and it sure didn't look like a hit to the head on Juszczyk.

I'd expect this from a Ram fan.

Both were holding and battling all the way down the field.

To say that 49ers were the beneficiaries of bad calls is ludicrous.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Washington49er":348snq0c said:
Ramfan128":348snq0c said:
Great game but..

Yeah the cornerback had a fistful of Sanders’s Jersey right in the middle of the chest on that play.

94Smith

Reaction score
Yeah I thought the officiating was pretty good which means, for the most part, they stayed out of it! I hate it when drives are extended by ticky tack calls

Ramfan128

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":120327oe said:
Washington49er":120327oe said:
Ramfan128":120327oe said:
Great game but..

Yeah the cornerback had a fistful of Sanders’s Jersey right in the middle of the chest on that play.

Then worst case you call PI on both and replay the down. Definitely looked like Sanders pulled the DB to the ground though - if the opposite happened and Sanders fell down, DPI would have been called.

And I'm not saying it was beneficial for one team or another - the refs just can't go a Saints game without some level of controversy. It's bizarre.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Washington49er":29bt6v0l said:
Ramfan128":29bt6v0l said:
Great game but..

And I'd expect that from you.

At some point the NFL is going to have to address why these bizarre calls/no calls keep happening in Saints games, and I'm including some from the last two games we played against the Saints too.

Not taking anything away from the Niners - either team could have won.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Ramfan128":mm3ypdy5 said:
5_Golden_Rings":mm3ypdy5 said:
Washington49er":mm3ypdy5 said:
Ramfan128":mm3ypdy5 said:
Great game but..

Then worst case you call PI on both and replay the down. Definitely looked like Sanders pulled the DB to the ground though - if the opposite happened and Sanders fell down, DPI would have been called.

And I'm not saying it was beneficial for one team or another - the refs just can't go a Saints game without some level of controversy. It's bizarre.
Well, the problem was that the contact also could be considered incidental (anyone who isn't a 49ers hater will admit that). Sanders certainly didn't extend his arm after contact was made, which is the usual litmus test (in fact neither player extended their arm after contact). The refs erred on correct side of the coin.

But yeah, if I were a Saints fan I'd be in full blown conspiracy theory mode.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2ghytium said:
Ramfan128":2ghytium said:
5_Golden_Rings":2ghytium said:
Washington49er":2ghytium said:

Well, the problem was that the contact also could be considered incidental (anyone who isn't a 49ers hater will admit that). Sanders certainly didn't extend his arm after contact was made, which is the usual litmus test (in fact neither player extended their arm after contact). The refs erred on correct side of the coin.

They are.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":yyf7fvuv said:
5_Golden_Rings":yyf7fvuv said:
Ramfan128":yyf7fvuv said:
5_Golden_Rings":yyf7fvuv said:

They are.

Yes they definitely are.

NINEster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":8euljr7h said:
SanDiego49er":8euljr7h said:
xray":8euljr7h said:
Jimmy G can actually play QB .

He is actually always good.
Get the F out of here with this crap. Nobody is "actually always good." Not Rodgers, not Peyton, not Brady, not Wilson, not anybody.

You can take your hyperbole back to the 49ers $hitzone.

You're parsing semantics to spin a point.

What I believe SD meant was "he was always good", or "he's always been good". Good as in a good QB, not every single game is a great game.....or every single down he's played has been amazing.

Jimmy G has largely been a good QB in all of his starts. Eventually at some point in his career will be a bad game overall that happens to everyone who plays the game long enough. Even games like that against the Vikings on opening day weren't bad at all considering the circumstance. Niner fans have seen the best of the best in QB play for years and also some of the more mediocre. We know what a good QB looks like.

If the 49ers lost to the Rams 28-12, with jimmy throwing 0 TDs.....how much traffic would there have been at how much he sucked??

TONS.

So no hyperbole here my man.

I also think that in the spirit of fairness, if we need to see Jimmy G play 7 seasons of great football to annoint him as a good QB, then we should not be saying anything at all good or bad.

Everyone focuses on the bad, but downplays the good. WHY??

People couldn't shut up about Wilson his first 2-3 years and qualitatively he wasn't playing as good then as Jimmy is now. There's definitely a pro-Wilson and anti-Jimmy bias in the media overall.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1vqz8e7h said:
Great game but..

1) It wasn't holding. Its called blocking.
2) Worst OPI of the year? Uh...no. Incidental if you ask me.
3) Wanna see OPI not get called?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PressCovFilm/status/1204043751112335361[/tweet]

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2dcihdww said:
So now we are comparing Pretty Boy Jimmy to Russ? :?

See...this is what happens.

All Niner fans are looking for is acknowledgement that Jimmy doesn't outright suck. That's it. Somehow, it ALWAYS gets conflated into a Jimmy=Wilson. All most Niner fans here mean when they make a comparison is that Jimmy may be playing similarly or better STATISTICALLY than Wilson at this point, but that in NO WAY WHATSOEVER infers that he will develop the way Wilson did.

Statistically, Jimmy season is FAR better than Aaron Rodgers in his first season as a starter or Matt Ryans first season with Shanahan. That doesn't mean I think Garoppolo is better than Rodgers.

It simply means he is COMPARABLE to some really good QBs at similar stages. That's it. Period.

Can we finally put this to bed? Its like a constant red herring.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1vb4nyvp said:
Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can)

I do get a sliver of enjoyment out of the fact that those with the least knowledge of the rule book seem to complain about officiating the most.

It's evidence for my underlying theory that officiating-talk is the lowest form of fandom.

As is clearly stated in the rulebook, unlike a regular pass play "A defensive player may use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull, or ward off offensive players."

You want Article 6 to apply to Article 5, except the first clause of Article 6 is that it only applies to cases not covered in Article 5.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1psswf6p said:
Ramfan128":1psswf6p said:
Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can)

I do get a sliver of enjoyment out of the fact that those with the least knowledge of the rule book seem to complain about officiating the most.

It's evidence for my underlying theory that officiating-talk is the lowest form of fandom.

As is clearly stated in the rulebook, unlike a regular pass play "A defensive player may use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull, or ward off offensive players."

You want Article 6 to apply to Article 5, except the first clause of Article 6 is that it only applies to cases not covered in Article 5.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I thought they could still call holding on the play since holding can be called on a punt. Thanks for the clarification.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He clearly does NOT suck. In fact, he looked better than expected overall imo. That being said, I still think he is a lot like Goff. Give him time, he can shred a D. Pressure him, and I mean TRULY pressure him, I just don't see him being a big time QB. And that's not just because I hate the Niners. Just an opinion.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":d8s405u2 said:
He clearly does NOT suck. In fact, he looked better than expected overall imo. That being said, I still think he is a lot like Goff. Give him time, he can shred a D. Pressure him, and I mean TRULY pressure him, I just don't see him being a big time QB. And that's not just because I hate the Niners. Just an opinion.

But how often is he that pressured? Take the game against the Hawks. Clowney has probably his best game of the season. 49ers up by 10 when Sanders goes out, Kittle already out, Juice out, so no where really to go with the ball giving D time to get pressure.

Jury is still out but Geoff, no way.