Saints and 49er's Heavyweight Bout

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2r9eu0t1 said:
He clearly does NOT suck. In fact, he looked better than expected overall imo. That being said, I still think he is a lot like Goff. Give him time, he can shred a D. Pressure him, and I mean TRULY pressure him, I just don't see him being a big time QB. And that's not just because I hate the Niners. Just an opinion.

I can see how some might think that....and I can't say with any certainty that you are wrong, but once again I think A LOT of fans on this site are overly moved by performances against their team and not performances of players on other teams overall. Only natural as those are the games you pay attention to. That's why the view here has been so inflated of Nick Mullens.

Perfect example on my own part is Patrick Peterson. I keep being told the guy is one of the best in the NFL, but he never seems to be a factor when the Niners play the Cards. Hard to distance myself enough to see the way he plays the rest of the league, and as such I've always kinda been unimpressed.

When you guys saw Jimmy up close, not only was he being pressured more than almost any game this season, he was also down his best 2 pass options and had 8 drops (9 or 10 if you count Seahawks).

That game was NOT the norm.

The norm is not that he gives up the ball under pressure. The norm is that he gives up the ball out of the blue for no apparent reason (the oft mentioned WTF passes he's been good for once or twice a game) or because the ball deflects into the air off of WRs.

Should bear mentioning though....this past month or so, I've been seeing less and less of the WTF passes.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2hi9be5d said:
Popeyejones":2hi9be5d said:
Ramfan128":2hi9be5d said:
Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can)

I do get a sliver of enjoyment out of the fact that those with the least knowledge of the rule book seem to complain about officiating the most.

It's evidence for my underlying theory that officiating-talk is the lowest form of fandom.

As is clearly stated in the rulebook, unlike a regular pass play "A defensive player may use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull, or ward off offensive players."

You want Article 6 to apply to Article 5, except the first clause of Article 6 is that it only applies to cases not covered in Article 5.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I thought they could still call holding on the play since holding can be called on a punt. Thanks for the clarification.

No worries, and sorry for being a prick about it. :lol: :2thumbs:

Holding on point returns as it is usually called only applies to pulling an offensive player out of the way to create a free rush lane to the punter.

On the outside it's only holding if you drag a player to the ground (you can "pull" as long as it's not to the ground).

It's kind of hard to think about because it's hard not to see someone on the punt return side not as a defender and the gunner not as a receiver.

It's the opposite of that, though. For a punt return think of the gunner as a defensive end, and the guy covering the gunner on the return as an offensive tackle. Anything an offensive tackle can do can be done to the gunner, with even more allowances too becaus they acknowledge that you're blocking for 40 yards down the field.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3l7p9hnv said:
Ramfan128":3l7p9hnv said:
Popeyejones":3l7p9hnv said:
Ramfan128":3l7p9hnv said:
Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can)

I do get a sliver of enjoyment out of the fact that those with the least knowledge of the rule book seem to complain about officiating the most.

It's evidence for my underlying theory that officiating-talk is the lowest form of fandom.

As is clearly stated in the rulebook, unlike a regular pass play "A defensive player may use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull, or ward off offensive players."

You want Article 6 to apply to Article 5, except the first clause of Article 6 is that it only applies to cases not covered in Article 5.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I thought they could still call holding on the play since holding can be called on a punt. Thanks for the clarification.

No worries, and sorry for being a prick about it. :lol: :2thumbs:

Holding on point returns as it is usually called only applies to pulling an offensive player out of the way to create a free rush lane to the punter.

On the outside it's only holding if you drag a player to the ground (you can "pull" as long as it's not to the ground).

It's kind of hard to think about because it's hard not to see someone on the punt return side not as a defender and the gunner not as a receiver.

It's the opposite of that, though. For a punt return think of the gunner as a defensive end, and the guy covering the gunner on the return as an offensive tackle. Anything an offensive tackle can do can be done to the gunner, with even more allowances too becaus they acknowledge that you're blocking for 40 yards down the field.

No worries. I'm sure you guys all saw Rams fan and immediately thought I was trying to discredit the win. That's what I would think in your shoes.

I have a very strong dislike for the Saints after everything that has gone down, but I want every game they play to be drama-free from an officiating standpoint, hence my comment. But after reading your explanation, I was off base.

Stanley

Reaction score
Ramfan128":32sumc0m said:
Great game but..

Why do officiating blunders follow the Saints?

Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can), clearly OPI by Sanders on the 75 yard TD - one of the worst OPIs I've seen this year, and it sure didn't look like a hit to the head on Juszczyk.

Are you stopping there or going to also include the ridiculous calls on the 9ers?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Stanley":xoj5akw0 said:
Ramfan128":xoj5akw0 said:
Great game but..

Clearly holding on the fake punt pass (PI can't be called but holding can), clearly OPI by Sanders on the 75 yard TD - one of the worst OPIs I've seen this year, and it sure didn't look like a hit to the head on Juszczyk.

Are you stopping there or going to also include the ridiculous calls on the 9ers?

Don't be silly. Only calls that work against a posters desired outcome count.

Doesn't matter that Sherman didn't hold which extended a TD drive. Doesn't matter that Moseley barely touched a guy on an uncatchable pass extending another TD drive, and it doesn't matter that Thomas mugged Witherspoon on what could have been an INT on a FG drive.

Nope. We only look at a play where the DB already had momentum going to the ground and a fist full of jersey in his own hand.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":fg5x84o5 said:
Stanley":fg5x84o5 said:
Ramfan128":fg5x84o5 said:
Great game but..

Doesn't matter that Sherman didn't hold which extended a TD drive. Doesn't matter that Moseley barely touched a guy on an uncatchable pass extending another TD drive, and it doesn't matter that Thomas mugged Witherspoon on what could have been an INT on a FG drive.

Nope. We only look at a play where the DB already had momentum going to the ground and a fist full of jersey in his own hand.

Got to remember what color the glasses are here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Says the Niners fan who spends all day on a SEAHAWKS board.
Look man, that was a great win for your team. Very impressive.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Washington49er":22a3ify3 said:
Marvin49":22a3ify3 said:
Stanley":22a3ify3 said:
Ramfan128":22a3ify3 said:
Great game but..

Got to remember what color the glasses are here.

Feel free to read the last two posts by me in this thread

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Largent80":3j3106rn said:
:D @ram and whiner fans arguing on a Hawk message board.

I get exhausted by the group think at my main Rams message board. I should probably find another one, but it's been my main one for a while now.

You guys have a great mix of longtime fans and 2012 fans, which is entertaining and provides some varying perspectives. Some of the Niner fans that showed up here this season I could do without, but the ones that have been here for a while are cool.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tip of the cap to your Rams. You guys were ready to go, GREAT play calling on offense and just were on your game. Hawks not only looked tired, but the Rams came out strong and never stopped the entire game. The energy level was obvious from the get go. Exactly why the Hawks missing the 4th down play, the 3rd down play, and what should have been an easy TD in the 4th made it so tough. Clearly the Rams outplayed the Hawks, but you can't blow opportunities against a good team. The Rams are damn good still. I think they'll give the Whiners a hell of a game.

707HAWKfan

Reaction score
So now we are comparing Pretty Boy Jimmy to Russ?

RESPONSE:
See...this is what happens.

It simply means he is COMPARABLE to some really good QBs at similar stages.

ME:
Huh?.....Comparing - Comparable...... :229031_shrug:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":p5wrzxb9 said:
Tip of the cap to your Rams. You guys were ready to go, GREAT play calling on offense and just were on your game. Hawks not only looked tired, but the Rams came out strong and never stopped the entire game. The energy level was obvious from the get go. Exactly why the Hawks missing the 4th down play, the 3rd down play, and what should have been an easy TD in the 4th made it so tough. Clearly the Rams outplayed the Hawks, but you can't blow opportunities against a good team. The Rams are damn good still. I think they'll give the Whiners a hell of a game.
Top of the morning to you, and your Hawks, my good man! :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk":p5wrzxb9 said:
He has a LOOOOOONG way to go before he can be compared to Russ.
Well, we can make some comparisons. We know that Jimmy G has to have a very big, er, amount of confidence, since he gets chicks left and right, but we also know that Wilson is extremely, ehem, confident, based on his cover picture with Kaepernick a few years ago. While it was covered, we actually saw the size of his, uh, confidence, in that photo shoot.

So, while we can't make direct comparisons, we can make some inferences about Jimmy G and compare those to Wilson, with more certainty about what Wilson "brings to the table."

If only we could get a hold of that prawn star. Then we'd have more information for a quality comparison.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":kq1sv1m7 said:
SoulfishHawk":kq1sv1m7 said:
Top of the morning to you, and your Hawks, my good man! :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk":kq1sv1m7 said:
He has a LOOOOOONG way to go before he can be compared to Russ.
Well, we can make some comparisons. We know that Jimmy G has to have a very big, er, amount of confidence, since he gets chicks left and right, but we also know that Wilson is extremely, ehem, confident, based on his cover picture with Kaepernick a few years ago. While it was covered, we actually saw the size of his, uh, confidence, in that photo shoot.

So, while we can't make direct comparisons, we can make some inferences about Jimmy G and compare those to Wilson, with more certainty about what Wilson "brings to the table."

If only we could get a hold of that prawn star. Then we'd have more information for a quality comparison.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Genius post Rings

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That was all kinds of awesome. And quite accurate, the force is strong of both of them.
Are you coming to the game on the 29th Rings? If so, let me know. We need to lift a pint and tell each other how much the other team sucks blah blah blah :irishdrinkers:
In all seriousness, it does make it a lot more fun when these two teams are very good. A healthy rivalry is important imo. The teams do seem to respect each other more than hate these days. But I'm sure it will get back to the intensity it had back in the Hawks' Super Bowl years.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":30gu9m9i said:
That was all kinds of awesome. And quite accurate, the force is strong of both of them.
Are you coming to the game on the 29th Rings? If so, let me know. We need to lift a pint and tell each other how much the other team sucks blah blah blah :irishdrinkers:
In all seriousness, it does make it a lot more fun when these two teams are very good. A healthy rivalry is important imo. The teams do seem to respect each other more than hate these days. But I'm sure it will get back to the intensity it had back in the Hawks' Super Bowl years.
Lol perhaps some day. I’m stuck helping with family this month due to several surgeries needing to be done in the family. Life is basically enjoying the ride while old things deteriorate and new things sprout, but I’ll pour one on game night in honor of a restored rivalry.

Latest posts