Seahawks Breakdown: What Drew Lock missing preseason game means for QB battle

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Seahawks had a plan for their second preseason game. The key word is ‘had.’

Drew Lock was named the starter at quarterback for Thursday’s game at Lumen Field against the Chicago Bears, something head coach Pete Carroll said on Tuesday was always the plan after Geno Smith started at QB last Saturday against the Steelers in the preseason opener. Unfortunately, Lock tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after Carroll’s press conference, ruling him out for the Bears game.

keasley45

Reaction score
So, I don't know that in the end, it means much. I think Pete really wants to go with Geno and unless Lock gave him a strong reason not too, that's what he's going to do.

As much as he's a guy who's built a team that emphasizes emotional intelligence as much as football IQ, I think he honestly wants to prove to the world and Russ that he can be successful with Geno, and that he would love nothing more than to beat Russ on Monday night with his old backup making the plays that Pete was furious at Russ for failing to.

And if Geno can't get it done, Lock is there. And if Lock can't do it (and even if he does) , they get their guy in the draft next year.

Pete is a good coach, but not above pride. Wouldn't be the first time it got the best of him. I honestly think he's been on a mission since he came back into the league to prove his doubters wrong and get the recognition that's always JUST evaded him.

Rosco

Reaction score
So, I don't know that in the end, it means much. I think Pete really wants to go with Geno and unless Lock gave him a strong reason not too, that's what he's going to do.

As much as he's a guy who's built a team that emphasizes emotional intelligence as much as football IQ, I think he honestly wants to prove to the world and Russ that he can be successful with Geno, and that he would love nothing more than to beat Russ on Monday night with his old backup making the plays that Pete was furious at Russ for failing to.

And if Geno can't get it done, Lock is there. And if Lock can't do it (and even if he does) , they get their guy in the draft next year.

Pete is a good coach, but not above pride. Wouldn't be the first time it got the best of him. I honestly think he's been on a mission since he came back into the league to prove his doubters wrong and get the recognition that's always JUST evaded him.
I don’t believe PC wanted Lock in the trade because he wanted Geno to be the day 1 starter. PC wants to prove he got the better end of the trade.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don’t believe PC wanted Lock in the trade because he wanted Geno to be the day 1 starter. PC wants to prove he got the better end of the trade.

He's still the winner if Geno wins out and plays well. Winning would be moving on from Russ and having success with a 'lesser' qb

Fade

Reaction score
Geno is the starter through September. If he faceplants, Drew Lock will get a chance sometime in October.

nwHawk

Reaction score
That’s about what I expect also.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Lock. So much that it made me rather hyperbolic. But this is a chance for Smith to build upon the advantages he already has over Lock. I know he has some questionable behavioral situations in the past, but i believe anyone, at anytime, can find motivation to take that next step. Come on, Smith. Show us you ain't just a backup QB.

Latest posts