Seattle Mariners 2020 season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":15eimkkx said:
Sports Hernia":15eimkkx said:
Uncle Si":15eimkkx said:
Sports Hernia":15eimkkx said:
Kelenic was a projected 2020 call up in September like Kyle Lewis was brought up last year.
The clock is clicking on Dipoto’s time here. The quicker they get the young studs acclimated to MLB caliber of play the quicker the winning starts (2021, 2022) the quicker the security of a new contract for Jerry.

If they are worried about the young studs being brought up too early, I counter with Kyle Lewis who made the jump last year from AA with just barely over a season of total minor league play (because of injury), and hasn’t stopped hitting since he was brought up.

I have zero worries about Kelenic hitting in the bigs. Too talented, too hard of worker, too high of baseball IQ, too confident/cocky to fail.

Whats more important : 100ABs in the big or 2 additional years of club control?

Seems like a simple business decision
Where are you getting 2 years of Club Control from? Honest question.
Barring injury, He (Kelenic) will be up next year likely as projected.

Who knows, maybe they will go the Lewis route they did last year as a September call up?
I just think they are blowing a golden opportunity to get some RARE pressure free MLB AB’s instead of the usual suspects who likely won’t be here next year.

Club control can be navigated be extending existing contracts. Sure, it’s going to cost you some $$$, but if you are going to re-sign the player, you are going to payout a likely sizable contract anyhow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokes ... ontent=amp
There’s also the service time issue. Depending on when Kelenic makes his debut, it could be the difference between Seattle having club control through 2025 or 2027. It’s likely to be a consideration for all of the Mariners’ prospects, especially since the club isn’t likely to be a contender until 2022.

They'd have to wait to bring him up until a few weeks into 2021 to keep club control through 2027. And Kelenic isn't likely to sign an extension for cheap. They could be saving millions of dollars by not bringing him up right away.

Your last line is my point, it’s a money issue. Seattle is being cheap and it might end up backfiring and biting them in the ass.

The way around this is via a contract extension at some point. With his talent it’s going to be expensive regardless. It might even cost them more money if they piss him off and don’t bring him up until May of 2021, or worse, he refuses to sign an extension and walks and becomes a FA after the 2027 season.

I don’t think you dick around with players of his talent level by playing these “clock” games. They brought up Griffey and Felix as teenagers, where was the worry about “the clock” back then?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Your last line is my point, it’s a money issue. Seattle is being cheap and it might end up backfiring and biting them in the ass.

The way around this is via a contract extension at some point. With his talent it’s going to be expensive regardless. It might even cost them more money if they piss him off and don’t bring him up until May of 2021, or worse, he refuses to sign an extension and walks and becomes a FA after the 2027 season.

I don’t think you dick around with players of his talent level by playing these “clock” games. They brought up Griffey and Felix as teenagers, where was the worry about “the clock” back then?[/quote]
The thing is back then the players union/owners contract rules were different.
Unless the player signs a long term deal before the majors,I doubt we will
ever see another JR,Felix or Aroid up early.
I'm glad I was able to see it and in an era's where the service time wasn't
a valid issue like today but greed has led to this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nice job by Sheffield tonight. A few good outings in a row now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":zsismc20 said:
Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.
Yes he is. He adjusted to being thrown the breaking ball. Another homer today.

Can’t wait to see the outfield of Lewis, Kelenic and J-rod.
It’s going to be the best OF in MLB at some point.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":wid33tjb said:
XxXdragonXxX":wid33tjb said:
Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.

That will be fun to see for sure..
Who will be the infield?White-1B Nola-C Crawford-SS
rest is blank.. :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3p7x4osl said:
Sports Hernia":3p7x4osl said:
XxXdragonXxX":3p7x4osl said:

That will be fun to see for sure..
Who will be the infield?White-1B Nola-C Crawford-SS
rest is blank.. :lol:
Noelvi Marte is a SS, you can probably plug in @ 2nd or 3rd, Cal Raleigh is a catcher you probably can rotate between he and Nola @ DH.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Walker is gone..Fix for the pick is on!
Jerry did say after the season he would love to have him back as
he will be FA ..I thought he'd bring a little better but we don't know
who we got till after season.

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":29z5huvc said:
It's really kind of hard to determine trade values this season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
IndyHawk":gbk2gx6p said:

DiPoto is a moron. Why bring back Walker so he can trade him again for peanuts? If I'm Walker I wouldn't want to come back to the Mariners.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
hawkfan68":17rd1uoh said:
IndyHawk":17rd1uoh said:

DiPoto is a moron. Why bring back Walker so he can trade him again for peanuts? If I'm Walker I wouldn't want to come back to the Mariners.

You know they're getting one of the Blue Jay's top 30 prospects, right? The Blue Jays are in the playoff hunt, gives him a chance at the postseason.

But uhhhh, how about that Nola/Altavilla/Adams trade?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
So the Mariners have traded....

Vogelbach to the Jays for 20 bucks or whatever.

Walker to the Jays for a PTBNL (top 30 Blue Jays prospect)

Nola/Adams/Altavilla to the Padres for Taylor Trammell/Ty France/Andres Munoz/Luis Torrens (great trade)

Taylor Williams to the Padres for a PTBNL

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":33bud087 said:

Nola/Adams/Altavilla to the Padres for Taylor Trammell/Ty France/Andres Munoz/Luis Torrens (great trade)

Liked ditching voglout even if it was for a used beat up baseball.

Got a feeling walker will be back next year as a FA.

Hated losing Nola As he was a solid contributor but he was a late bloomer and is 32 years old.
Glad they got rid of smiling Dan, who could throw hard but couldn’t locate to save his life.
It was either a straight meatball with no movement or he couldn’t find the strike zone.

I don’t know what SD’a GM was thinking. That was a woody Woodward type deal for SD, who misheard the Boston GM at the time, who said he wanted Varitek or Derek Lowe, Woody heard Varitek and Lowe For Slocomb and agreed to it.

Not too upset about Williams even though I liked him.
Jerry is trying to sell high and doing a pretty good job of it IMHO.

Trammell will be a bridge until J-rod comes up in a year plus then they will have 4 good outfielders (Lewis, Kelenic, J-rod, And Trammell) who they can rotate between outfield and DH. I really like Haniger who can’t stay on the field, and you can’t make the club from the tub.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Other than the pitcher Munoz who is recovering from TJ (apparently he was throwing 102 before surgery?), Everyone from that trade should get time with the Mariners this season. France and Torrens were hitting well with the Padres this season.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":lwruoq8e said:
XxXdragonXxX":lwruoq8e said:

Liked ditching voglout even if it was for a used beat up baseball.

Got a feeling walker will be back next year as a FA.

Hated losing Nola As he was a solid contributor but he was a late bloomer and is 32 years old.
Glad they got rid of smiling Dan, who could throw hard but couldn’t locate to save his life.
It was either a straight meatball with no movement or he couldn’t find the strike zone.

I don’t know what SD’a GM was thinking. That was a woody Woodward type deal for SD, who misheard the Boston GM at the time, who said he wanted Varitek or Derek Lowe, Woody heard Varitek and Lowe For Slocomb and agreed to it.

Not too upset about Williams even though I liked him.
Jerry is trying to sell high and doing a pretty good job of it IMHO.

Trammell will be a bridge until J-rod comes up in a year plus then they will have 4 good outfielders (Lewis, Kelenic, J-rod, And Trammell) who they can rotate between outfield and DH. I really like Haniger who can’t stay on the field, and you can’t make the club from the tub.
Pretty much agree with all of that. Nola was our most tradeable player, so thanks for the memories.

Always liked Vogie, but somewhere along the line he totally lost the plate. Haniger, if he ever makes it back, will have to fight for his position. Looks like we're building a good young outfield about 4 deep without him. And Altavilla? Again, you gotta love his velocity, but like Vogie he loses the plate far too often. Both of them used up all of their minor league options, so no reason to hang on to them. Kind of surprised we got more than bag of chips and a small beer for them. We have enough young talent now that having them eat up roster space is becoming a waste. They've had more than enough chances here.

Good game today. Marco went CG with 8K/1BB and gave one HR. K'd Trout 3 times. :mrgreen: Fraley got a couple of hits, too. Nice to see him getting with it.

No games until Thursday. Kind of sux, but the A's got the covid. Maybe a double Thurs, and another at the end of the season if the A's are in the hunt.