Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not the news we were hoping for on Alonso.

Injured Sounders Osvaldo Alonso and Brad Evans “will both be involved in the game," per Schmetzer. To what extent? "I can’t tell you that.”

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted yet but FOX will broadcast the game nationally tonight at 8 EST. For those in the Toronto area that's WUTV out of Buffalo via OTA.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders will probably roll out in a similar 4231 they have been using.

Valdez
Nico, Friberg, Morris
Ozzie, Roldan
Jones, Marshall, Torres, Mears
Frei

Nico and friberg will roam on interchange. Morris will push high in the attack. We will play out of the back with Jones and Mears and build from the outside in. The cutting balls of Lodeiro, Roldan and Friberg will put pressure on Toronto's defense.

Toronto, btw, has played a 352 down the stretch and the past several games. They are vulnerable, especially to speed.

One of Toronto's strong points is on set pieces, but I think we counter well with Marshall, Torres and Valdez. Weak link on our side is probably Mears/Jones. They can't lose their mark.

I think our defense will be pretty solid. Torres and Marshall are about as perfect a CB pairing to have against Altidore, and while I think Giovinco is a tremendous player, I think Ozzie and Roldan can lend enough support to keep his influence to a low level.

On the offensive side of play, our most important player is probably Nelson Valdez. He has to be able to hold the ball and build the attack. We'll be dumping a lot of balls up to him in hopes he can hold it long enough to spring Nico or Jordy.

Jordy, Nico and Joevin are probably the most dangerous players for us going forward against the 352. Jordy can pull a CB wide, and hopefully open the space for Nico. Joevin overlapping will release some pressure on Friberg and Nico.

Its a game of space, and I think the Sounders 4231 matches up well against the 352, assuming we can hold Giovinco in check.

It's a massive game, and its going to come down to who manages the space best.

Its gonna be a good game. Tactically very interesting game.

3-2 Sounders win in Extra Time.

Nico Lodeiro, Jordan Morris, and Herc Gomez are your goal scorers.
Giovinco and Bradley for TFC.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2w0qrcqy said:
Not the news we were hoping for on Alonso.

Injured Sounders Osvaldo Alonso and Brad Evans “will both be involved in the game," per Schmetzer. To what extent? "I can’t tell you that.”

Alonso will start. Evans off the bench later. Probably first on, likely for Friberg.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":yr0exug3 said:
What a game!
Congrats to the Seattle Sounders and the very loyal fanbase!!!! :2thumbs:
Pretty damn cool!

2016 MLS Champs!!!! WTG! :irishdrinkers:

253hawk

Reaction score
Toronto throwing crap at players as usual...what classy fans they have up there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":1tqaiqjh said:
Toronto throwing crap at players as usual...what classy fans they have up there.
Yeah, what was that all about???? Is that par for the course for them??

hannibalking

Reaction score
Toronto had their chance to score, but Sherman just denies them with that amazing tip... whoops, wrong football.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So buzzing. Torres was a rock, what a player. Freis save as well. Holy sh*t.

We bunkered down and kept altidore and giovinco relatively quiet. From last for champions, what a turn around.

Next year we may have dempsey back as well or 2 new dps if they downgrade valdez and clint retires. Thats exciting as hell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Frei was the best player on the pitch with Torres a close second. Amazing second half of the season. Congrats Sounders!

253hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ofpa8l2 said:
253hawk":1ofpa8l2 said:
Yeah, what was that all about???? Is that par for the course for them??

Seems to be. If it weren't for cell phones, they'd probably have taken the batteries out of their cameras to throw as well. I can understand a few isolated incidents, but it was going on all game and got really bad towards the end.

hannibalking

Reaction score
To be petty, I'm really glad the Sounders won because Blue Jays fans tend to flood the Mariners home games when their team comes to town and be pretty obnoxious, so I'm glad Toronto folk won't be able to gloat about their soccer team winning the MLS Cup over us.