Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The intent would have been for the guy he was staring at. No way he saw the other player running in.

The ref didn't use VAR for that decision.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":xn6316ov said:
The intent would have been for the guy he was staring at. No way he saw the other player running in.

The ref didn't use VAR for that decision.

Intent is he meant to swing his arm at someone. All that matters. He felt someone grab him then threw his arm at him. Thats what i saw atleast.

Wonder why Ref didnt use VAR. He used it correctly on the last foul of the game. He clearly missed the LA players intrusions, which should've earned a red as well.

Sounders recovered well. I wonder what Brad Smiths future is

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":35dodohg said:
Sounders recovered well. I wonder what Brad Smiths future is
That is up to Bournmouth at this point. Seattle wants to keep him, and his agent was in Seattle this weekend presumably meeting with the FO, but Bournemouth still own the final year of his contract and the loan is still scheduled to expire this Summer. Hopefully Seattle can convince them to sell.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I was back home in the UK and the Sounders Toronto game was live there. The English commentator gave the impression that Smith would stay at Seattle longer and that the Seattle loan basically stopped him from plummeting down the lower leagues of English football.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Watching him yesterday id say hed make a solid rotational lb at the premier level... if not incumbent starter on championship teams who play with wing backs.

Certainly one of the few backs in the MLS i see attacking the opponents goal with runs and crosses.

Looks like hes regained form

(Saying that... ive watched a number of MLS games early this season and while the atracking play has been surprisingly creative and energetic, the defending and goal kerping has been so poor)

knownone

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":36m9mijr said:
Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.
To be fair, much like Atlanta, LAFC spent a boatload of money on talented players. The Sounders could have been just as talented; they have the roster maneuverability and money to add another DP. If the Sounders added Vela in the off season and moved VRod to the bench, the media would gush about how great the Sounders are. That is the talent gap between the two teams at the moment.

We'll see what Garth and the gang do in the summer window; although, I'm not holding my breath on them making any significant moves. They seem more concerned with investing in youth development and keeping profits high than building a loaded team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
knownone":24sketj5 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":24sketj5 said:
Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.
To be fair, much like Atlanta, LAFC spent a boatload of money on talented players. The Sounders could have been just as talented; they have the roster maneuverability and money to add another DP. If the Sounders added Vela in the off season and moved VRod to the bench, the media would gush about how great the Sounders are. That is the talent gap between the two teams at the moment.

We'll see what Garth and the gang do in the summer window; although, I'm not holding my breath on them making any significant moves. They seem more concerned with investing in youth development and keeping profits high than building a loaded team.

Rodriguez has been stellar so far this season. He needs to be on the pitch even if the Sounders had acquired Vela. There are others who deserve to sit more than VRod does. Unfortunately most of the them are defensive side of the team. The defense has been poor all season. Need major work to improve that.

knownone

Reaction score
hawkfan68":313tf53a said:
knownone":313tf53a said:
Glasgow Seahawk":313tf53a said:

Rodriguez has been stellar so far this season. He needs to be on the pitch even if the Sounders had acquired Vela. There are others who deserve to sit more than VRod does. Unfortunately most of the them are defensive side of the team. The defense has been poor all season. Need major work to improve that.
I agree with you in terms of quality; however, Rodriguez is injury prone and best suited as a sub. He's played in 40 games in right around 2 years. Lodeiro's played in 60 during that same stretch. Lodeiro played more minutes last year than VRod's played in the entirety of his Sounders career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":3vla7cef said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3vla7cef said:

I'm not one for fan conspiracy theories, but it'd be hard to blame the league for wanting LAFC to succeed. After the Chivas debacle, they need LAFC to do well in the LA market.

Also why they somehow allow the Galaxy to continue to have like 5-6 DP's every year with their creative cap accounting practices.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
knownone":126yl5om said:
Glasgow Seahawk":126yl5om said:

In fairness to the Sounders they have made the play offs every single season. Under Garth they seem to favor summer signings and getting hot at the business end of the season. I'd like to see how we look come summer time and then decide where to spend money on resources. Youth development is important, if we nail it we save and make a ton of money.

LAFC spent a lot last year and got put out in the first round. The first few seasons of MLS are almost pointless so it's hard to judge. I'm impressed with them so far though, I think they have a great stadium and atmosphere and look ambitious, a worthy rival to the Galaxy. I just don't like the media crowning them this early.

I just wish MLS would get their finger out and fix franchises in some major markets before major expansion. NYCFC need their stadium issue fixed, Chicago needs the Sporting KC make over and moved to a stadium closer to town, New England needs to move to frikkin Boston and get an owner who gives a damn, its embarrassing seeing that empty stadium. Houston and Dallas needs looked at. Both stadiums are empty and nowhere near the actual cities despite the teams being relatively good. Philadelphia? The Crew may have been saved now fix/move their crappy stadium and promote them more. Fix those big markets and you'll be a hell of a lot more profitable and in turn be able to raise the cap. Adding teams feels like a house of cards/ponzi scheme and doesn't address the flawed teams.

MLS has also chosen wisely with some recent teams. Atlanta has been great, Minnesota's new stadium looks good and full, Timbers and Sounders have been great additions, LAFC, Orlando started well in its first season, KC's makover has been a huge success, Cincinnati has started well, RSL has been solid, Toronto seems to had figured it out after a rough few initial years.

I think St Louis will do well now the Rams are gone when they get a team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":srhxxr83 said:
Roldan wins his appeal

Other good news is Ruidiaz is out of his boot and Schmetzer said should be very close to returning. They still didn't say exactly what was wrong with his heel, so not sure how to feel about all the cloak and dagger secrecy.

Makes me uneasy!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fhwa9o7 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2fhwa9o7 said:
Roldan wins his appeal

Other good news is Ruidiaz is out of his boot and Schmetzer said should be very close to returning. They still didn't say exactly what was wrong with his heel, so not sure how to feel about all the cloak and dagger secrecy.

Makes me uneasy!

Everyone but Svensson will be back it sounds like.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Minnesota traded away their captain today. Wonder if that means Ozzy is captain

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":166xfyg5 said:
Minnesota traded away their captain today. Wonder if that means Ozzy is captain

Ill be there tomorrow to find out

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Victor Rodriguez and Chad Marshall are back in the starting lineup for Seattle. Ruidiaz and Bruin are both available off the bench.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Alonso was captain.

Stadium is amazing. Very intimate setting.

Sounders did well keeping an energetic home team in frint of them, methodically approaching their attack for the most part.

In reality, unfortunate not to win going away

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
2 points dropped. Stings to hit the post twice. Hopefully Ruidiaz and/or Bruin start the next game. Thought the stand in RB played well.

I'm a bit worried about Kim's form recently, had a few lapses rough tackles that have led to cards or set pieces that the other team has at times taken advantage from.