Shaun Alexander deserves to be in the HOF

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If Marshawn somehow decided to hang 'em up before reaching 10,000 yards, then that might bring Alexander back into the conversation. Alexander didn't quite lead his team to a ring, though it was controversial, but he does have an MVP and those incredible number of TDs. Being below the 10,000-yard threshold and the thought that he benefitted from some of the great offensive lines in NFL history are some of the things that are currently keeping Alexander out of the HoF. If Marshawn retired before surpassing 10k, then that might change the barometer, which is arbitrary in many ways. Of course, there are backs in the Hall with fewer than 10k yards, but those are guys (like Marshawn) whose presence transcended everything else in the game.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway, why is 10,000 yds a benchmark but 100 TDs isn't? There's 29 guys with 10,000 yds rushing but only 8 guys with 100 rushing TDs. Hell, there's only 21 guys in the entire NFL to ever score 100+ TDs in any capacity. Clearly a more difficult accomplishment.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's not totally fair but the perception is he was running through a lot of holes like this one:
0op2OdY.gif

9sdqURQ

It's also true that he had a great determination to score when provided with those opportunities, and a play caller with the common sense to give him all those opportunities.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":ze9updhz said:
Our Man in Chicago":ze9updhz said:
Tical21":ze9updhz said:
He's kind of right in that grey area. Not many above him are out, and not many below him are in. I don't think he'll get there, but I dunno, he's close. Edgerrin James has to get in before him, right? How about Freddy Taylor and Corey Dillon?

James, Taylor, and Dillon are not HOF-level. Neither is Alexander.

I could see Taylor sneaking in with a Committee vote in a decade or two.

Edge has more yards and TDs than Taylor, plus a Super Bowl. Taylor might have gotten the short end of the stick being stuck in Jacksonville, and that might garner him some sympathy votes, but there's no way he gets in before Edge.

Edge And Marvin Harrison will both get in, probably some time after Peyton goes in. My opinion.

Edge didn't win a Super Bowl. The Colts won it the year after he went to Arizona. They gave him a ring though.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Seanhawk":39hccyev said:
Zebulon Dak":39hccyev said:
Our Man in Chicago":39hccyev said:
Tical21":39hccyev said:
He's kind of right in that grey area. Not many above him are out, and not many below him are in. I don't think he'll get there, but I dunno, he's close. Edgerrin James has to get in before him, right? How about Freddy Taylor and Corey Dillon?

James, Taylor, and Dillon are not HOF-level. Neither is Alexander.

I could see Taylor sneaking in with a Committee vote in a decade or two.

Edge has more yards and TDs than Taylor, plus a Super Bowl. Taylor might have gotten the short end of the stick being stuck in Jacksonville, and that might garner him some sympathy votes, but there's no way he gets in before Edge.

Edge And Marvin Harrison will both get in, probably some time after Peyton goes in. My opinion.

Edge didn't win a Super Bowl. The Colts won it the year after he went to Arizona. They gave him a ring though.

Ahh yes. That's right. Crazy how long ago that already is.

chris98251

Reaction score
So tell me how many times Shaun did things like this 1 minute highlight reel, this is a short one there are several showing his speed and pass catching ability as well.

This is why he is in, he did a lot on his own as well.

[youtube]zz_XcCJ_ENc[/youtube]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He only truly gave it his all near the goal line. Particularly after watching Marshawn, I just can't respect him to the point of thinking he deserves to be in the HoF.

crosfam

Reaction score
kidhawk":3w0hfz99 said:
Zebulon Dak":3w0hfz99 said:
kidhawk":3w0hfz99 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3w0hfz99 said:
If Davis isn't in, Shaun has no chance.

Davis? You can't mean Terrelll Davis can you?

At this point TD is closer to getting in than Shaun and he has less yards and considerably less touchdowns. But he has Super Bowl wins. And if you want to talk about an offense line, that Broncs line in the late 90s/early 2000s could turn just about anybody into at 1000 yarder.

My point exactly. TD had a very similar career to SA in just about every way. He does have a Ring that SA didn't get, but SA had almost 67% more TD's over a similar time span.

Davis has two SB rings, one SB MVP, and almost 1200 yards and 12 touchdowns in playoff games. Alexander was great for a while, but TD gets in the HOF 2016 or 2017. Alexander? He may be waiting for the HOF a long while. He definitely should be in our Ring of Honor very soon.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":aloezjfh said:
Anyway, why is 10,000 yds a benchmark but 100 TDs isn't? There's 29 guys with 10,000 yds rushing but only 8 guys with 100 rushing TDs. Hell, there's only 21 guys in the entire NFL to ever score 100+ TDs in any capacity. Clearly a more difficult accomplishment.

First, scoring TD's was a "thing" for SA, to the point where we forced it at times Im sure to keep the guy happy.

Also because, for a RB especially, it can be a bit of a meh stat....

Not that TD's arent important, they are....but how many of those are 1 yard runs?

If MH had passed them all the way down the field and SA waltzed a one and a half yard draw into the zone, who should get more credit for the drive and score?

Yards rushed is far more of an accurate barometer of a successful back than TD's.

MVP53

Reaction score
justafan":2aipb0f8 said:
I hope he does get in.Sometimes its easy to diminish a local sports stars accomplishment because something like his reputation of being soft.I know many were angry that the whole thing fell down so quickly and he gets alot of blame for that.
Maybe the national press and voters have an extremely high opinion of him.
I think his only chance is if most of the fringe players that were mentioned get in before him.

He's Football Ichiro.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":yroe62d0 said:
That's why it'll be "eventually". History will favor his raw numbers over impressions he left on people late in his career.

Basically once people who actually remember how he played are dead or dying, he'll get in based on the fact that some remember his name.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":y8r5rts7 said:
The real question is....."Is he a lock for the Ring of Honor"?

Only regular season MVP in franchise history. 100 TDs. 7th all-time in rushing touchdowns. Career leader in rushing yards in franchise history by a wide margin. Three Pro Bowls. Former record holder of NFL's most single-season TDs (28 TD in 2005). Led the team to its first Super Bowl appearance.

:thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2015":c5piu4fg said:
Bigpumpkin":c5piu4fg said:

Only regular season MVP in franchise history. 100 TDs. 7th all-time in rushing touchdowns. Career leader in rushing yards in franchise history by a wide margin. Three Pro Bowls. Former record holder of NFL's most single-season TDs (28 TD in 2005). Led the team to its first Super Bowl appearance.

That's just it, he was never considered a leader on the team, in fact many think he was a dividing factor. The whole Anthony Simmons situation was also involving him as well.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chris98251":2v7tg982 said:
hawknation2015":2v7tg982 said:
Bigpumpkin":2v7tg982 said:

That's just it, he was never considered a leader on the team, in fact many think he was a dividing factor. The whole Anthony Simmons situation was also involving him as well.

Yeah but that's true of a lot of great players. It does not take away from his myriad of objective accomplishments with the franchise. He's a lock for the RoH.

Rob12

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3soonc2n said:
14th all time in touchdowns scored. Everybody who's scored more is in or inevitably will be.

I know he didn't hit 10k yds rushing. And I know there's mixed feelings among Seahawks fans about how good he really was.

But that first stat stands alone. 14th all time in the history of the NFL. In the HISTORY of the NFL. That should get him in eventually, IMO.

He likely won't get in this year, but he's in the discussion. Hopefully one day he'll be up there with Steve, Tez & Walt. And rightfully so.

He was a star. For a good chunk of time, he was the best in the game.

He deserves enshrinement.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":qdmgq2n2 said:
It's not totally fair but the perception is he was running through a lot of holes like this one:
0op2OdY.gif

9sdqURQ

It's also true that he had a great determination to score when provided with those opportunities, and a play caller with the common sense to give him all those opportunities.

What I wouldn't give to have that line now. Lynch would hit 2000 yards.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hawkpower":1l49ubww said:
Zebulon Dak":1l49ubww said:

First, scoring TD's was a "thing" for SA, to the point where we forced it at times Im sure to keep the guy happy.

Also because, for a RB especially, it can be a bit of a meh stat....

Not that TD's arent important, they are....but how many of those are 1 yard runs?

If MH had passed them all the way down the field and SA waltzed a one and a half yard draw into the zone, who should get more credit for the drive and score?

Yards rushed is far more of an accurate barometer of a successful back than TD's.

All true, and I think it makes sense in theory... except that Shaun ran for about 7500 yards in 5 seasons and almost 10,000 overall. So while I see your point, reality, including the fact that only 7 other guys ever got to 100, kind of prove its invalidity IMO.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3f00yic5 said:
Put the man in Canton. Shaun was one of the most electrifying players in the league for several years.

Yes he was he could have run through a Mack truck , I remember seeing being tackled by 5 goys carrying them into the end zone for about 7 yards .