Short Observations

bbsplitter

Reaction score
There is a lot of flak being directed at the defense for this game, and I am not sure why. They played pretty well, and if you're equating the overall score to their performance, you need to re-watch the game. IMO, they played better than the past 2 weeks, but the same problems that existed before were still present in this game. I'm just not sure why people are noticing/putting more weight behind those same problems in week 3. If you're annoyed because we remained in soft cover 2 and allowed Teddy B to throw short passes and call run plays all night long while already being up 2+ TD's, you need to look at the people calling the defense, not the ones executing it.

Russell played lights out, although again it looked like it took 18 signs from the football Gods for PC to 'unleash' him. It is so frustrating to watch our offense go from floundering to 'oh hey we want to score, so we are going to score now'. Just the fact that they have the ability to score on every drive and they focus so damn much on trying to 'control the pace' of the game or whatever the hell he calls it aggravates me to no extent.

Carson was a 7th round pick for a reason. Last season has just blown people's expectations out of the water regarding what he can do. I think it's important to remember that he has OVER-PERFORMED at this point. He wasn't selected in the first round and is now dropping the rock left and right. I hope he clears this up quickly though, PC shows a unique loyalty to his players, but unfortunately for Carson he plays one of the most replaceable positions in the NFL right now.

Bobby Wagner is my favorite Seahawk currently. However, that being said, he has taken quite a few awkward pursuit angles through these 3 weeks. I wouldn't say it's enough to concern me, because I still have 99% faith that he will clean up those few oddities before the end of the year, but I've noticed him out of position enough times that it makes me scratch my head on occasion. The one from this game that stood out the most to me was the run Kamara bounced outside to the left, our DE was setting the edge beautifully and was occupying a pile of Saints O-Line, but Bobby let himself get caught up on the other side of it, and was very indecisive about attacking downfield for the tackle which allowed Kamara to get to the sideline and up the field. I believe Bobby was even technically credited with a missed tackle on that play.

Many people are saying we had even less of a pass rush than we had in weeks 1 and 2. I would disagree strongly. The difference is that we did not send linebacker/secondary help anywhere near as much as we did in the first two weeks. I'm not sure what the exact blitzing percentage was, but at least on first viewing it very much seemed that way.

It was very embarrassing to have TONY ROMO call out PC on his timeout/coaching gaffes pretty much all game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
PC has never been a good time manager and has had some blunders through his career.. maybe he should be benched... IDK

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Good post.

I don't agree with the "waiting to unleash Russ". Gameplan was different this time in the first half. He was getting undone by penalties.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I still think we have a very solid defense. It's not elite like it used to be by any means but they are a solid group. With that said, there were some really poor tackling efforts made against the Saints. We are better than that. One bad day doesn't a bad defense make, but I'm not going to be happy about it either.

I have no doubt they will do better moving forward, but it was no fun to watch them missing tackle after tackle Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1rmxi9ly said:
Many people are saying we had even less of a pass rush than we had in weeks 1 and 2. I would disagree strongly. The difference is that we did not send linebacker/secondary help anywhere near as much as we did in the first two weeks. I'm not sure what the exact blitzing percentage was, but at least on first viewing it very much seemed that way.

Why would you not blitz a mediocre backup QB that's getting his first start in like three years? Instead we continued to just rush 4 or 5 against one of the best O-lines in the league, that made both Clowney and Ansah disappear.

Instead we just sat back in our dumb base formations and allowed Bridgewater to throw easy checkdowns, screens and short outs that our defense turned 3 yards into 10 yards because they couldn't tackle.

Yeah if that's Brees back there? No, you don't blitz. But Teddy two gloves? Yes, you can take risks and blitz.....and we should have been blitzing far more once we saw that our front four wasn't getting enough pressure.

Bad game plans on both sides of the ball.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The whole thing about unleashing Russ.... Watching Patrick Mahomes yesterday I kept thinking if Wilson was in that offense he very well could look just like Mahomes. Now granted Mahomes has developed much more quickly then you have seen from pretty much any other quarterback outside of Marino and I'm sure people like tical well completely disagree with me but I'm going to stand by it. I've said it for a long time now and I'll stick by it. If Drew Brees can do what he's done in a Sean Payton offense being the same height as Russ with not as much arm, Russ could do the same things with a SeanPayton or and Andy Reid as his offensive coordinator/head coach.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":390kwlgg said:
bbsplitter":390kwlgg said:

Why would you not blitz a mediocre backup QB that's getting his first start in like three years? Instead we continued to just rush 4 or 5 against one of the best O-lines in the league, that made both Clowney and Ansah disappear.

Instead we just sat back in our dumb base formations and allowed Bridgewater to throw easy checkdowns, screens and short outs that our defense turned 3 yards into 10 yards because they couldn't tackle.

Yeah if that's Brees back there? No, you don't blitz. But Teddy two gloves? Yes, you can take risks and blitz.....and we should have been blitzing far more once we saw that our front four wasn't getting enough pressure.

Bad game plans on both sides of the ball.

Blitzing against checkdowns and screens sounds like a disaster. Defense was fine outside of tackling. There wasn't a pass rush because they relied on short quick passes.

getnasty

Reaction score
bbsplitter":27vks9ay said:
There is a lot of flak being directed at the defense for this game, and I am not sure why. They played pretty well, and if you're equating the overall score to their performance, you need to re-watch the game. IMO, they played better than the past 2 weeks, but the same problems that existed before were still present in this game. I'm just not sure why people are noticing/putting more weight behind those same problems in week 3. If you're annoyed because we remained in soft cover 2 and allowed Teddy B to throw short passes and call run plays all night long while already being up 2+ TD's, you need to look at the people calling the defense, not the ones executing it.

Russell played lights out, although again it looked like it took 18 signs from the football Gods for PC to 'unleash' him. It is so frustrating to watch our offense go from floundering to 'oh hey we want to score, so we are going to score now'. Just the fact that they have the ability to score on every drive and they focus so damn much on trying to 'control the pace' of the game or whatever the hell he calls it aggravates me to no extent.

Carson was a 7th round pick for a reason. Last season has just blown people's expectations out of the water regarding what he can do. I think it's important to remember that he has OVER-PERFORMED at this point. He wasn't selected in the first round and is now dropping the rock left and right. I hope he clears this up quickly though, PC shows a unique loyalty to his players, but unfortunately for Carson he plays one of the most replaceable positions in the NFL right now.

Bobby Wagner is my favorite Seahawk currently. However, that being said, he has taken quite a few awkward pursuit angles through these 3 weeks. I wouldn't say it's enough to concern me, because I still have 99% faith that he will clean up those few oddities before the end of the year, but I've noticed him out of position enough times that it makes me scratch my head on occasion. The one from this game that stood out the most to me was the run Kamara bounced outside to the left, our DE was setting the edge beautifully and was occupying a pile of Saints O-Line, but Bobby let himself get caught up on the other side of it, and was very indecisive about attacking downfield for the tackle which allowed Kamara to get to the sideline and up the field. I believe Bobby was even technically credited with a missed tackle on that play.

It was very embarrassing to have TONY ROMO call out PC on his timeout/coaching gaffes pretty much all game.

Agree about Bobby something seems a bit off with him, i could be wrong but a don't see him sticking out like he usually does.

Latest posts