So I saw a post on our corners

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
godawg":2h66d299 said:
Another Atlanta loss snatched from the jaws of victory and Dan Quinn should become available. I'd love to see Ken Norton be the linebackers coach again.
John Clayton had mentioned it's not a good look to the players, especially Wagner and Wright, should Seattle get rid of Norton.

And even if you don't necessarily get 100.00% rid of him and demote him to Linebackers coach, I'm not sure Clayton would also think that is a great idea.

But I'm not John Clayton.

Although Norton hasn't been great, can we really say it is 100.00% his fault?

The defensive line is so abysmal, I think any secondary would struggle with stopping the pass/yards from opposing offenses.

I am not a Norton supporter by any means but there has got to be more to it than just Norton.

CPHawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2ucx7a0x said:
godawg":2ucx7a0x said:
Another Atlanta loss snatched from the jaws of victory and Dan Quinn should become available. I'd love to see Ken Norton be the linebackers coach again.
John Clayton had mentioned it's not a good look to the players, especially Wagner and Wright, should Seattle get rid of Norton.

And even if you don't necessarily get 100.00% rid of him and demote him to Linebackers coach, I'm not sure Clayton would also think that is a great idea.

The defensive line is so abysmal, I think any secondary would struggle with stopping the pass/yards from opposing offenses.

I am not a Norton supporter by any means but there has got to be more to it than just Norton.

Not a good look to Wagner and Wright? BWags has about 1-2 years left, and Wright might be on borrowed time right now. Norton was this bad in Oakland, and Pete still hired him. You can't keep this guy. 2021 will be the year to win a SB, but we need to hire the right guy to be the DC. Go all in on the FA market, go for broke and bring home another trophy. Wilson won't be this good forever, can't miss the opportunity to bring home another SB trophy.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":76vowom4 said:
godawg":76vowom4 said:

I don't even listen to John Clayton anymore. Always rah rah for the status quo. He defended Tom Cable to the very end. I love KJ but this is the last year of his contract and I think he is gone. He looked so slow during the game. Bobby has only a couple of years left. He was furious after the game with the way the Defense played so maybe he is up for a change too.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
chris98251":28f7ndl2 said:
I don't enjoy it as much, seems more arena league then NFL level of play.

You've hit the "nail on the head"....exactly like Arena Football. Personally, I enjoy a stout Defense. Watching our Secondary is giving me ulcers!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":202d2qrn said:
godawg":202d2qrn said:

I'm coming to the conclusion that Norton is in that Matt Patricia category. He's either the one they're going to scapegoat and bounce, or he's the one who's going to keep going from below average to mediocre year to year. Maybe it's both.

Meanwhile i see ex-d hawks doing pretty well in their new schemes. Take TT for example.

in whatever case, let's face it ever since the LOB disintegrated several years back, there's been a problem with the D and we can't just think we're going to get the equivalent of a royal flush in the draft anymore.

Norton before this was at Raiders and didn't do much for them either. he's not exactly a turnaround guy, which is what we need. Hopefully higher ups are taking note of who might be looking for a job in February.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's not Norton, it's Pete and I would say no Richard, the decline started when he left in the secondary.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are issues with the health of the roster.

However, that is basically the whole NFL.

And again, Dunbar hasn't been anything near shutdown. We saw him way off people allowing catch after catch. Way better than Flowers but not exactly the harbinger of one of the best secondaries either.

The roster is not ideal. But also not ' bottom 5 in the NFL and one of the worst in NFL history'. Which our defense is getting close to.

Norton is not abysmal but he is barely average.

(Is this a case like Schotty where Carroll clearly held him back with his dinosaur offense? Is there an incredible DC in there stuck playing D like Carroll wants? No idea, but that was not the case at his last stop)

When we lost Norton, I was a bit upset because I wanted him more than Richard. I liked his fire and intensity for the players we had. In hindsight, Richard was the better move even with his flaws. When he kept our defense together after losing both Sherman and Earl, that was more impressive than whatever Norton is doing now.

Some guys do Less with More. Some More with More. Norton seems to do Less with Less.

At this point, I would take Richard back. Not a worldbeater but certainly an upgrade. I would take one of the old guys like Wade Phillips and of course jump at a Quinn if I could get one (people often forget that great DCs sometimes turn into failed HCs and then great DCs again)

We don't need this team to be the LOB or Bears of 85 defense. Just not allow so many points we have to score 30+ pts per game to win each time.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
CPHawk":2jic4qnn said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2jic4qnn said:
godawg":2jic4qnn said:

Not a good look to Wagner and Wright? BWags has about 1-2 years left, and Wright might be on borrowed time right now. Norton was this bad in Oakland, and Pete still hired him. You can't keep this guy. 2021 will be the year to win a SB, but we need to hire the right guy to be the DC. Go all in on the FA market, go for broke and bring home another trophy. Wilson won't be this good forever, can't miss the opportunity to bring home another SB trophy.
I agree with this.

Well, since I’m not Pete Carroll, he needs to do something to fix this.

Not doing anything is a step in the direction of disaster.

Not sure how Pete wants to play this but yes you’re right, Wilson is playing at his highest level right now and is the best player in the NFL through 3 weeks, if he’s going to continue at this level, Pete needs to do right by him and make some changes to this defense cause this is Russell’s year.

Pete needs to be fully aware and take advantage of Russell’s greatness this year!

This is Russell’s year!

Please make some defensive changes to the coaching staff! Something! Anything!

Let’s not waste Russell’s abilities this year!

The guy is absolutely killing it right now and will get MVP should this continue!

We’re talking about historic record breaking TDs for Wilson!

reddmmann

Reaction score
Seahawks8880":1sdgv9y9 said:
I have said it once and I have said before. KEN NORTON needs to go. His defensive scheme and approach is the worst. He has no sense of pushing motivation. Same players but yet we looked more hungry than ever in the last defensive sequel because our backs were against the wall. This is all coaching to do it through out the game but yet this lazy eye sloth has no emotions to boost motivation. We had the worst defensive stats since he came on board.

It was not Ken Norton who decided to allow Frank Clark to walk
It was not Ken Norton who decided to allow Jadeveon Clowney to walk
It was not Ken Norton who decided to waste a 1st round pick on LJ Collier

And another thing....Dan Quinn did not do so great as DC in Atlanta...i guess the job is a lot harder when you do not have 9 pro bowlers starting on defense (LOB)...

reddmmann

Reaction score
JPatera76":3vg4adph said:
Ken Norton isn’t the Answer

Solution would be Quinn hahah .. however All credit to the Dallas receivers they’re good

And another thing....Dan Quinn did not do so great as DC in Atlanta...i guess the job is a lot harder when you do not have 9 pro bowlers starting on defense (LOB)...

reddmmann

Reaction score
w00t":kpvlzhkj said:
Trey Flowers is garbage. Thank god Ryan neal was in the end zone

You can not always change a safety (even a good safety) into a corner. I wonder how he would do at safety (the position he played in college)...

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
reddmmann":6z31f3pl said:
w00t":6z31f3pl said:

You can not always change a safety (even a good safety) into a corner. I wonder how he would do at safety (the position he played in college)...

It is easier to convert a corner into a safety (ex: Ronnie Lott) than the other way around.

chris98251

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":26q2rwiw said:
reddmmann":26q2rwiw said:
w00t":26q2rwiw said:

It is easier to convert a corner into a safety (ex: Ronnie Lott) than the other way around.

You can be slower at Safety and cover skills are not as important as recognition and tackling you still have to cover but not typically speed receivers off the line, more over the top or in the middle of the field.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
reddmmann":2v8rr0go said:
JPatera76":2v8rr0go said:

Solution would be Quinn hahah .. however All credit to the Dallas receivers they’re good

I believe Dan Quinn is the Head Coach, not DC in Atlanta.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
RockinHawks":20lcz4bn said:
reddmmann":20lcz4bn said:
JPatera76":20lcz4bn said:

I believe Dan Quinn is the Head Coach, not DC in Atlanta.

While Quinn has used a DC normally, I believe he has taken over as DC at least a couple times during his tenure in Atlanta- parts of the 2016 and 2019 seasons iirc.

Seems moot because we're talking about one of the few defenses arguably worse across the board than the Hawks in their 1st 3 games this year.

chrispy

Reaction score
KRichard was mentioned earlier in the thread.... Isn't he unemployed right now? I think he got booted from Dallas when Garrett was forced out. Maybe there's personality problems to have him back, but it couldn't hurt to have another pair of eyes that knows Defense. ... consultant and personal coach to Griffin and Flowers. At this rate, he may have to suit up.

RCATES

Reaction score
Sac":10s5nqlw said:
Our secondary has had to face a murderers row of QBs and Receivers this year, and all of them were forced to keep up.

The secondary isn't as bad as the yardage total says it is. In fact it's probably better.

So if Fitz puts up 400+yds you'll be convinced? That this secondary is Bad.

PNW

Reaction score
chrispy":1hryys6k said:
KRichard was mentioned earlier in the thread.... Isn't he unemployed right now? I think he got booted from Dallas when Garrett was forced out. Maybe there's personality problems to have him back, but it couldn't hurt to have another pair of eyes that knows Defense. ... consultant and personal coach to Griffin and Flowers. At this rate, he may have to suit up.

If this is accurate I totally agree, go get Richard have him at least be the DB’s coach.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes I thought the Cowbyes had retained him, He is Free Agent !!!!

Latest posts